Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WHATSCREENNAME. Show WHATSCREENNAME's posts

[Quote]
    Metrowest continues to get screwed and enough is enough! Where is the outrage at the inequity! My wife and I pay $1,500/yr in tolls and are now facing a $750-$1,000 increase while I-93 drivers pay nothing????

It is time for a Metrowest Revolution! If our legislators lack the political horsepower to represent us, it is time for action. Rolling blockades of I-93 might get some attention.

A $0.03 - 0.05/gal increase in the gas tax would cost the average driver $50/yr but the legislature lacks the courage to do the right thing. So they'll continue to stick it to the poorly represented Pike drivers. What if any legal options are there for a class action lawsuit against the state?

Does anyone have some suggestions? Legal, civil disobedience, etc.?

Enough is enough. Don't tread on me.
    [/Quote]

I support your idea of the rolling blockade.

While I understand that costs go up and from time to time tolls will need to increase, subjecting East-West travelers to an increase to pay for North-South travelers benefit while North-South travelers PAY NOTHING is outrageously inequitable.

I'll be okay with a MassPike toll increase when they put up tolls on I-93 for traffic to pay to enter the city via the Zakim Bridge or the Tunnel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOfEverything. Show KingOfEverything's posts

I think that the Turnpike Auth should be terminated and all tolls abolished. No new taxes either. We pay more than enough money through sales, exise, income and property taxes. The fleecing of the taxpayer needs to stop NOW. Instead of introducing fiscal responsibility and restraint to Government, they just come to us for more money. The problem is that we don't have too much more to give. I think it's time to take it to the streets and let these folks know that there is a point when enough is enough!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoDubya. Show BoDubya's posts

as a newton resident i'll be taking storrow drive downtown and washington street to allston and brighton. sorry bostonians - but i'm sure i won't be the only one. it's gonna save me over $1000 a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul77. Show Paul77's posts

That's BS. It will cost me $24 a week to drive through tolls to go to work......

Dear US Govn't - take over the Turnpike b/c Mass. can't handle it.

-Paul

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeland. Show mikeland's posts

How about we get rid of the "board of directors" and let the common folk take over? Jesus, why the he** do you need a Board of Directors for a ROAD? This is as bad as the MBTA debacle. I mean really, $8.50 to use a tunnel? Are they on crack?

It's no wonder people are leaving this state in HERDS!

How much more CRAP are we going to have to deal with?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MetrowestRevolt. Show MetrowestRevolt's posts

Tuck02, your arguement is right on but your math sucks! $0.015/gallon and 445 gallons/yr = $6.68/year. More likely $0.03/gallon and an average of up to 2,000 gallons/yr for a commuter but that is still only $60 in increased gas taxes per year! The average driver can surely pay up to $60/yr before Pike drivers are asked to pay another $80/week.

[Quote]a RARE situation when Massachusetts is not the highest tax place... we appear to be number 17 on the gas tax list. Our neighboring states are much higher (with the exception of VT and NH)...we are st 23.5 cpg )cents per gallon; Rhode Island is 30 cpg; Maine is 25.2 cpg; Connecticut is 25 cpg; New York is 31.9 cpg...our per capita consumption of motor gasoline is 445 gallons (2005 data was most recent I could find)...so even if we raised the gas tax to 25 cpg, we are talking an average increase of $668 per capita in taxes...our state population is 6.5 million (estimate based on 2006 census)...do the math...a 1.5 cent increase in a gas tax would allow for the elimination of tolls on the pike (easily), allow for greater funding of statewide TIPs (transportation improvement projects), and create equity for residents of the state...i'm a republican, and i would not normally support an increase in taxes, but this one is a no brainer....i've never understood why the western part of the state subsidizes everyone else's driving...and the great thing about this kind of tax increase (not that there ever really is a great thing about a tax increase) is that it's not a new tax...just change the percentage and watch the revenue come in...it would not require new state officials or overhead to put it in place...it essentially becomes an opportunity for the state to get a higher margin...something that is generally considered good in business...of course it would require a significant effort from the folks west of boston to make south shore and north shore folks agree to paying an extra $700 per year, but they've been subsidized for years, so if they haven't done anything with that subsidy after all these years, well it's too late.[/Quote]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeenJohn. Show GeenJohn's posts

Together we can!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoFreaknSpin. Show NoFreaknSpin's posts

Maybe if the turnpike cuts 25% of it's headcount in management, employees pick up 20% of the healthcare cost, and no capital outlays for expansion of the turnpike for the next 5 years

Maybe just freak'n maybe I would support the freak'n hike on the tunnel only!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celts2008. Show Celts2008's posts

There are many lazy, ignorant people who cannot get a job and hold it in the private sector. We need to have a place where they can work their grueling 6 hour days and retire at age 45 with lifetime pensions and nearly free health insurance costs. Think where these people would have ended up if the Pike went out of business when the cost of building the roads had been paid for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yourmom. Show yourmom's posts

Together we can....go broke. I escaped MA a year ago and could not be happier. My sympathies.....hahahahahaha!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from car402. Show car402's posts

THANKS FOR NOTHING DUVAL....HOPE THE ATTY GEN POSITION IN THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION (ANOTHER UNFORTUNATE THAT WILL HAPPEN) IS WORTH IT!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steerpike. Show steerpike's posts

Bring back the tolls out in the desolate tundra near San Jose, oops I meant Western MA.

Not that we really want to see this happen, because our bridges will still crumble anyways when Boston spends our tax money on itself. Just know that we don't pay our fair share for the turnpike.

But right now we get a nice free ride. I always get a free (and prettier, and slower) ride trans-Commonwealth anyhow, as I live on route 2, the most sensible route to Boston from here.

Realize also that NJ Turnpike and NY Thruway still have worse tolls than we do in MA. It's not the end of the world, though it does all add up if you do it daily.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from foob99. Show foob99's posts

[Quote]If you're stupid enough not to have a transponder, you're stupid enough to pay more than everyone else.[/Quote]

If you are stupid enough to have a transponder, then you're stupid enough to not care if the government monitors your comings and goings without probable cause. Thanks, but I like my privacy just like it is - I don't need electronic records of my whereabouts on government computers.

tear down the tollbooths and raise the gas tax if you want efficient and fair tax collection. Why is it only the people in the Western Suburbs that pay for the big dig?

I also find it funny that government agencies are lost when it comes to running a real business. "Hey - our product isn't selling! I know what we'll do - raise the price!". Cut costs - don't raise the price - that is the only way to balance things at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmlib. Show tmlib's posts

A slight increase maybe, but $8.50 for the tunnels is ridiculous. It is not fair for residents of East Boston to have to pay the full fare. However, those coming from the airport fine. It is already hard enough to get a taxi to take you home to Eastie without arguing with the driver about whether you should have to pay their toll fare back through the tunnel. If it goes up to $8.50, what is that $11 for taxis? That will effectively end all taxi service to Eastie residents.

Just because the turnpike admins are reckless with their finances, doesn't mean all of the taxpayers should have to pay. I agree that all tolls should be automated to save some additional money. I am also for increasing a gax tax.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimyritz. Show jimyritz's posts

How about reducing the $70,000-$90,000 salary those ridiculous toll collectors are making----If they do this I wll go out of my way not to take the Pike.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cujo. Show Cujo's posts

If you double your tolls and lose half your volume of customers how much more money to have in the end? ZERO.

Increase the gas tax by 7 cents and dissolve the Pike and fold their function into MHD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from keyriest. Show keyriest's posts

west of the "holy city"? how about north? $8.50 to go through the tunnel? good lord. nice that residents of the north shore will take the burden. raise the gas tax or put tolls on all roads - why is putting the onus on one group of people the answer?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from keyriest. Show keyriest's posts

why does eastie qualify for a break? how about winthrop? revere? lynn? where does the line of fairness stop? this is a burden the whole state should bear, not just one community (and not just excluding one community).

[Quote]A slight increase maybe, but $8.50 for the tunnels is ridiculous. It is not fair for residents of East Boston to have to pay the full fare. However, those coming from the airport fine. It is already hard enough to get a taxi to take you home to Eastie without arguing with the driver about whether you should have to pay their toll fare back through the tunnel. If it goes up to $8.50, what is that $11 for taxis? That will effectively end all taxi service to Eastie residents.

Just because the turnpike admins are reckless with their finances, doesn't mean all of the taxpayers should have to pay. I agree that all tolls should be automated to save some additional money. I am also for increasing a gax tax.[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnm4. Show johnm4's posts

Time to raise the gas tax which has been the same for over 15 years. This mess should fall to all of us instead of extorting the money from western commuters. Maybe tolls on 93 would be better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuck02. Show tuck02's posts

Thanks, nice catch...forgot to divide by 100 (not used to dealing in cents)...but you prove my point all the more...going up 3 cents would rank us around 7th or 8th with North Carolina and Ohio...

so (and everyone be careful because i am doing math again) on the low end, we are looking at around $40M a year in revenue...not enough to offset the turnpike's budget, but it is a step in the right direction

[Quote]Tuck02, your arguement is right on but your math sucks! $0.015/gallon and 445 gallons/yr = $6.68/year. More likely $0.03/gallon and an average of up to 2,000 gallons/yr for a commuter but that is still only $60 in increased gas taxes per year! The average driver can surely pay up to $60/yr before Pike drivers are asked to pay another $80/week.

[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from louie4. Show louie4's posts

TIME FOR THE SOUTH SHORE TO JOIN THE PARTY AND PAY FOR ROADS AND CONSTRUCTION AS WELL.....THE TOLLS ON THE BRIDGE (WHICH WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED YEARS AGO) & TUNNELS ARE PAYING FOR OTHER PROJECTS WITHIN THE STATE...NOT FAIR

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

All this so we could open up a few downtown acres that people won't use most of the year because of weather and/or darkness and name it after Ted Kennedy's mother.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctx126. Show ctx126's posts

This is an easy one to fix....

Step 1:
    Require every vehicle in MA to get a fastlane transponder - make it mandatory like when someone needs to renew their registration.

Step2:
    Reduce headcount for all but one manual toll lanes at each exit, and keep these in the far right lane.

Step 3:
    Merge Mass Highway and Mass Turnpike...why does this state need two agencies to do the same exact same work.

Following these three simple steps will advert any need to raise tolls anywhere in my view, but it wont work because of Mass politics, and stupid unions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMPORTDOMESTIC. Show IMPORTDOMESTIC's posts

THIS SMELLS LIKE RECYLCED GOAT TESTES. WHEN DID "HANK" GREENBURG GET TO LEAVE AIG AND TAKE OVER THE TURNPIKE.

THANKS HANK

THE LEMMINGS