Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from den8uml. Show den8uml's posts

[Quote][/Quote]

try leaving the Northeast once in a while....try chicago and orlando metro areas just to name a few.....or I90 and 80 ny to midwest

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb22. Show jwb22's posts

Make it so that Easy Pass (or whatever it's called) is practically mandatory by having only one lane that accepts cash. Then you can lay off a whole bunch of people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slash. Show Slash's posts

Hey, 5x4 -- I don't use a transponder. I don't want a transponder. I have my reasons. That doesn't make me, or anyone else without a transponder, stupid. Grow up.
    Regarding the toll hikes: ENOUGH! Turnpike users should not have to shoulder the cost of the Big Dig all by themselves. We pay enough to use the Pike, whereas people who use the central artery the most -- those traveling into the city from north and south -- pay nothing out of pocket. How about spreading the burden to everyone. An small increase in the gas tax, at least inside 495, would be the fairest way for everyone who benefits the most to share in the cost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MHDT. Show MHDT's posts

What a bunch of buffoonish hacks!! Can you believe these clowns? What they should do is eliminate 90% of the hack jobs at the Pike. Good grief; $8.50 to go through a tunnel that should've paid for itself 10X over already. It's so ridiculous. Why stop there. Why not just raise it to $500 per toll, plus loss of first born. And if you don't have a first born, just turn over your car at your New and Friendly Mass Pike Auto Repossession Lot, but no, they wouldn't allow that, cause then you wouldn't have a car do drive through their tolls anymore!! But perhaps then they'd just drive it for you, back and forth on the Pike all day long; hey it used to be your car, no reason why you should not still be responsible for paying tolls, you know. Can't win with these hacks!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2sf. Show boston2sf's posts

You folks complaining about raised toll rates don't know how spoiled you've been all these years. $5 to cross the bridges out here in California is universally accepted. If you're going to use and abuse the roads, you need to pay for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JF5. Show JF5's posts

Ahhhhh the good ole "PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MASSACHUSETTS" Once the Federal Government is done bailing out every crook on Wall Street they should step in and throw every Politician and Hack/Criminal in Massachusetts in Jail.

That ole saying "what goes around comes around....." well it is starting to come around!

Mayhem will sweep the entire state because of the a55holes in charge both present and past!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JFP3. Show JFP3's posts

Oh yeah, let's just have the East/West drivers pay more. That's a great f'in solution.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from samoy2e. Show samoy2e's posts

I would take the back roads also to avoid the tunnels. I would use 128 and than go to 93 if i was going into boston. i would stay away from the toal roads. The tolls are expensive as is and plus we are in a recession and they should not go up in pric. what they should do is lower it. It is getting to a point what you are telling us is not use cars but use public transportation ok. From, pam in lynn, mass

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

I don't feel bad for any of you who are complaining. I have never driven in my life but I get around just fine. For those of you who commute, you chose that option and whether or not you like what is happening today as far as tolls and gas, suck it up and live with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeffInMass. Show JeffInMass's posts

OMGosh - this toll hike is unreal - We already pay enough there for these broken down aged traffic flow flawed calculated tolls!!! I'm Sutton and I potentially have to go thru those other toll roads but most hardly ever take advantage of the new tunnels. Why should the people from the West have to pay so much!

I thought that we were getting rid of those darned human toll-keepers as they cost so much! We were supposed to be savings tens of thousands of dollars by doing that - however we still all can't get thru the darned Weston tolls in the morning as there are never enough humans nor automated Fast Lanes open!! We are still crammed and merged into by multiple lanes at the Weston Toll Booths to enter route 128N/S that whole area is FUBAR to say the least!!!!

So what is this raise in tolls really going to do for us!?!?!?! Most of those folks that use the new tunnels will most likely ever use the Weston Toll / Merge for 128 area which means they won't be contributing the fixing of the old tolls.

If it's not one thing or another - I think it's wrong that the None-State workers of state have to kick in where there has been poor budget management, planning, process, steeling wherever they can, people milking the system, and on and on and on. I bet the state workers don't even pay tolls (or at least most of them) so it ends up costing the state more!!

I was so glad that Gov. Patrick was able to get those State and town Police contracts out of their hands - won't that help the Turnpike Authority? Talk about milking the system!!

Hey State Police - Stop driving so fast down the Mass Pike on the Western side - you're scaring the crap out of me and making us pay more for the freaking gas you are blowing as you whisk by us without your blue lights even on!!

On that note - I'm Signing off before I get myself into some real trouble – but bring it on if you wish! hahaa

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeffInMass. Show JeffInMass's posts

[Quote]It's time to put tolls on I-93 and I-95. If those drivers don't like it, fine, stay off the highways. The free ride needs to end. If you use the road, you pay for the road. The lawmakers on Beacon Hill need to have some guts and do the right thing - not what's popular. Drivers who use the Big Dig need to start paying for it. Tough times call for tough action. Governor Patrick - where are you?[/Quote]

But we do already - it's called excise tax!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IwasattheFiskgame. Show IwasattheFiskgame's posts

We have to accept that things are tough right now and that this might be necessary. I drive a fair amount, but never use the Pike, so no, I don't think the gas tax is the "fair" way to do it. Yes there are ways to do something about inefficiencies. The Gov. has propsed cutting quite a few of the toll takers and even more importantly he seems to be making progress on the sham that Police Details are. Do you know we are the only state that has this "bene" for police. Do you know that lots of police who get the "bene" end up making more than 100k?
    Governors for 25 years have been trying to get rid of this unsucessfully.
    If he is able to it will be amazing. He has already made more progress than anyone before him. Did you see the cry baby police chief from Arlington I think it was, trying to defend it. Good for the Globe editorial for nailing him. What a boondogle!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from umassice. Show umassice's posts

If you are going to do this to us, please use lubricant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosern. Show rosern's posts

A month or so ago, the legislature rejected an idea to put tolls up on 93. Since the Big Dig and the tunnels replaced mostly that route, why not have people coming in from the north of the city share in the cost? N.H. has toll booths set up just beyond the state line. Why shouldn't MA?
    The number of cars that use 93 on a daily basis, would certainly add to the turnpike coffers. Has anyone figured out how many state senators and/or reps travel 93 every day? Let's be fair!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bluesguy. Show Bluesguy's posts

At least they can't blame the Police anymore now that C dillac Deval did away with details!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wyzguy333. Show wyzguy333's posts

Why is there even a Turnpike Authority......Mitt Romney ran on merging the Highway and Turnpike Authority back in 2002........before he got tired of governing and started having Presidential aspirations and crossing the country?!!........At least he forwent his salary.....hey what a guy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

The Turnpike Authority should be dismantled and EVERY one of those overpaid employees canned!! A new authority and unmanned toll collection (have seen them working very well elsewhere) is needed.

The entire state however should bear the responsiblity of the Big Pig and NOT just those who use the tunnels, bridge and Mass Pike. If that means a few cents more on the state gas tax... so be it.

Hey, Gov Patrick... any progress prosecuting all those involved in the Big Pig that raped the taxpayers once again?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

[Quote]My view?

I'd encourage EVERY driver to bypass the Pike completely and travle thru the little towns that parallel it all the way to Boston creating a gridlock nightmare in protest of this nightmare road.[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

[Quote]Wait a minute. Were not tolls going to be completely eliminated 4 years ago? What happened?

With GPS now out there, I can certainly see where ppl will start using surface streets instead of the pike or tunners. Then the road cost will shift to the towns instead.

This State is soooo screwed up.[/Quote]

Politicians forget. They aren't the brightest bunch of people we have running this state. Career politicians don't know much besides politics, which means all of their expertise is in convincing us that they know what they are doing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

[Quote]How about ending all the unecessary road work? How can the road need work every summer?

Currently the Mass Pike, 128, route 20 all have road construction is this all needed?[/Quote]

Yes, it's routine maintenance that is necessary. It's not like they resurface the entire pike every year but they will most likely do a portion of it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UmassScience. Show UmassScience's posts

Do what other states do...Make the Fastlane transponders cheaper or even free so more people use them. That means less toll takers working overtime and saving the turnpike a good amount of money.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nachosf. Show nachosf's posts

I started to type and I'm afraid of what I might say.....speechless.
    this state and all who run it sucks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Together, We Can! Tax 'em all Deval!

How many schmucks are here complaining that actually voted for this guy? Why are so many of you Deval supporters surprised about this kind of thing? This is EXACTLY what you voted for.

I think the politicians in this state are completely incompetent, but I think the people that vote for them are even worse. If you're going to vote for incompetence and vague ideas, what the heck do you expect?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

[Quote]I would take the back roads also to avoid the tunnels. I would use 128 and than go to 93 if i was going into boston. i would stay away from the toal roads. The tolls are expensive as is and plus we are in a recession and they should not go up in pric. what they should do is lower it. It is getting to a point what you are telling us is not use cars but use public transportation ok. From, pam in lynn, mass[/Quote]

Good luck going 128 to 93 during rush hour to get into town vs. taking the Pike.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from barsap875. Show barsap875's posts

It would make more sense to add tolls on the other major roads into Boston. This wouldn't tie-up trafic any more than it already is, and not bother with the outbound toll. I think you could hire tolltakers at less than $70,000 per year to reduce costs. All lanes should be accessable for FastLane users, and a small increase in non-Fastlane users would be appropriate, as they cost the system more.