Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boscom56. Show boscom56's posts

The tolls were supposed to be a temporary fee to pay for the cost of building the turnpike, but why would the Turnpike Authority eliminate the fee ? It pays their salaries.

Eliminate the Authority and keep the tolls as is... they are more than reasonable... look at NH and ME... they do what they need to with reasonable tolls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bri1000. Show Bri1000's posts

There is already a $.21 per gallon Massachusetts gas tax (not including the Feds' take). The government is trying to rile you up so that a gas tax increase will seem to make sense. Don't fall into their trap! They are wasting your money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckymarbles. Show luckymarbles's posts

Massachusetts just doesn't get it. The tolls are a gigantic racket. Almost nowhere else in the country except the northeast are there toll roads. They are a classic example of the legislature saying one thing ("only for a couple of years until the road is paid for") then doing another ("umm. we can't get rid of the tolls. . . they pay for the road). The only reason the tolls exist is to pay for the people who collect them. The entire Massachusetts toll structure should be scrapped and started over again, fresh. And I don't even think that there SHOULDN"t be tolls anywhere, it's just that the whole system is such a complete mess that it needs to ripped away and started over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LisaDRussell. Show LisaDRussell's posts

What will people who come to our city think? We already have the highest taxi rates anywhere in the country; think the extra $5 to get out of the airport is going to help our flagging tourist trade? I don't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jf8. Show jf8's posts

Does any politcian west of the Charles River have any guts? I am tired of driving east to west only to pay for a road that goes north to south. It is time for a "Western" pol to step up and either abolish the Turnpike Authority or have the fortitude to install tolls on Route 3, Route 93, or any other road that actually takes advantage of the expensive hole. This account is long overdrawn.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from abbienormal. Show abbienormal's posts

How about making the communters on RT 93 who actually benefit from the majority of the big dig expense to pay for that use? As for the commuter line - which line is the most unreliable of the bunch? Ahh that would be the Framingham line that runs in paralell with the pike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

[Quote]

I didn't know my neighbors with a Honda Pilot were rich. Thanks for letting me know. I'll hit them up for some cash.[/Quote]

you must not watch those commercials where they are claiming the pilot has great mileage

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

[Quote]There is already a $.21 per gallon Massachusetts gas tax (not including the Feds' take). The government is trying to rile you up so that a gas tax increase will seem to make sense. Don't fall into their trap! They are wasting your money.[/Quote]

it's still a lot lower than many other states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

US average total tax is 47 cents whereas MA is 41.9 cents. get rid of turnpike authority...then get rid of tolls, and to pay for this, raise taxes slightly

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from den8uml. Show den8uml's posts

The increase in the gas tax is a good idea. It's lower than in some other states like CT and NJ right now, and is a fair way to collect all people who use all the raods. If you don't want to pay for roads, then don't use them. They don't plow themselves, they don't pave themselves and and they don't clean up after accidents by themselves!!!
    It's also the way Europe successfully avoided being so dependent on cars like we are and stayed with more rails....and look where that got us. ATl apparently has no gas this week.
    By the way, 8.50 for a toll is "outrageous"? tell that to the guy going down to long island and pays $12 to go over the throgs neck bridge!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkleen2002. Show mrkleen2002's posts

[Quote]Lets see the big dig benefited mainly the metro Boston area, so they need to suck it up and get on paying for it. They didn't want that ugly double decker but a nice green space...well pay for it. No more discounts for those going through the tunnels I don't care where you live, you get the benefit you pay for it.[/Quote]

Let me get this straight.

You dont buy any products that come through our seaport or airport, visit any museums, go to any sporting events - or benefit in any way from Boston being the economic hub of our state, and New England in general?

Give me a break.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from den8uml. Show den8uml's posts

In addition, i am also in favor of cutting spending like toll collectors, administrative expenses by consolidation of agencies and looking into privatizing the roads, tunnles and bridges as an option, but no one would want them until after they generate more revenue and have less debt. The idea of no new tax, and no new tolls doesn't make sense. You'll have to just stay home and invest your money in a horse and buggy...one with snow wheels i guess! this is not a political party issue....can't pay for things without money, can't get money witthout collecting it. This is a thing that NEEDS to be paid for no matter how liberal or conservative you are.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toole. Show Toole's posts

It's time to put tolls on I-93 and I-95. If those drivers don't like it, fine, stay off the highways. The free ride needs to end. If you use the road, you pay for the road. The lawmakers on Beacon Hill need to have some guts and do the right thing - not what's popular. Drivers who use the Big Dig need to start paying for it. Tough times call for tough action. Governor Patrick - where are you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chris4. Show Chris4's posts

OMG How horrible!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kemptay. Show kemptay's posts

It is unfair how the state gov't and the Turnpike Authority treats the central and western part of the state. There needs to be concentrated effort to do what is best for the state and all of its residents. A comprehensive plan is necessary...first tolls will need to be raised, but only marginally and not as much as projected. Second, a gas tax which applies to all and is tied to inflation rather than our fixed rate now. Third, new tolls on 93 and 95 from NH, tolls to Cape Cod (vacationers and second homes could afford additional toll; stuck in traffic anyway), 93 leading into the city. New tolls and gas tax may encourage less driving from the south which clogs these arteries. Unify all road construction and management under one entity. Again a comprehesive force to deal with all the highway, road, bridge issues throughout the state. Reduction in costs from duplicate staffs of overlapping agencies would help.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pnwn21. Show pnwn21's posts

You want people to move to Massachusetts????? This is just another way to discourage growth in this state. STUPID IDEA!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from melli_fera. Show melli_fera's posts

For one thing, allow AAA to bring out tow trucks on the Pike... and eliminate the need to provide towing services.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bounceman. Show bounceman's posts

Although I don't live in or around Boston these days, I spent the first 25 years of my life there and remember quite clearly that there was a date - a specific date - when the tolls were supposed to expire and "go away" entirely. (A lot like our unconstitutional federal income taxes.) I was just a kid back then, so we're probably talking close to 30 years back. And now? Not only are the tolls still in place, they're high and getting higher!
    It's called "Taxachusetts" for a reason, my friends.
    Drive safely!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framingfan. Show framingfan's posts

I'm moving to the north or south shore. Why should commuters in these expensive real estate towns, get off scott free heading through Boston? They clearly can afford it? This has got to stop. Typical masshole pol BS....most probably live north or south too...anyone check to see? Besides who pays for the jersey barrier upkeep and expenses? Probably me.

We really should apply the equivalent in taxes to ALL zip codes for cummuters who might travel north and south on 93. That seems only fair to me. already dropping $2600 a year in tolls to commute to and from Framingham to back bay, then paying $3600 on top of that to park in here. so $6200 a year to get to and from work. I keep odd hours so choo choo is out....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from satnavsys. Show satnavsys's posts

$2.25 to drive from Watertown to Allston doesn't make sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framingfan. Show framingfan's posts

Coupe Du-vaal is busy preparing for attorney general under obama....he cant be bothered with Ma issues any longer...oh and I fully support tolls on 93 95 and big dig tunnels....absolutley right...AND a pike toll reduction...this cow don't give no mo milk....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cutman121. Show Cutman121's posts

An unpopular opinion, to be sure, but anything to make driving more expensive is fine with me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bawston1. Show Bawston1's posts

[Quote]Massachusetts just doesn't get it. The tolls are a gigantic racket. Almost nowhere else in the country except the northeast are there toll roads. They are a classic example of the legislature saying one thing ("only for a couple of years until the road is paid for") then doing another ("umm. we can't get rid of the tolls. . . they pay for the road). The only reason the tolls exist is to pay for the people who collect them. The entire Massachusetts toll structure should be scrapped and started over again, fresh. And I don't even think that there SHOULDN"t be tolls anywhere, it's just that the whole system is such a complete mess that it needs to ripped away and started over.[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjsaint32. Show kjsaint32's posts

This is absurd! No wonder why everyone is moving elsewhere and out of this state. I'm sure at this "meeting" they exhausted all other avenues before deciding to raise the tolls. NOT!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bawston1. Show Bawston1's posts

Yea Right. Plan a trip to Northern Illinois - Chicagoland.
    We have over 100 toll plazas throughtout the region. I spend over $50.00 per month just in tolls.

http://www.jameson.com/chicago_freeway_names.cfm

[Quote]Massachusetts just doesn't get it. The tolls are a gigantic racket. Almost nowhere else in the country except the northeast are there toll roads. They are a classic example of the legislature saying one thing ("only for a couple of years until the road is paid for") then doing another ("umm. we can't get rid of the tolls. . . they pay for the road). The only reason the tolls exist is to pay for the people who collect them. The entire Massachusetts toll structure should be scrapped and started over again, fresh. And I don't even think that there SHOULDN"t be tolls anywhere, it's just that the whole system is such a complete mess that it needs to ripped away and started over.[/Quote]

Sections
Shortcuts