Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CCJRMOM. Show CCJRMOM's posts

Give me a break. No more tolls. get rid of the hacks. Toll on I 90 as you enter the state from NY, $10.00 flat rate. Toll leaving airport. Leave the citizens alone. We pay enough in this state. I have had to have 3 alingments this year from pot holes. fix the roads, fire the hacks.

build a rail line to Worcester/ Framigham that doesn;t have to share with CSX and get moving on high speed rail. If I could rely on the other hacka rama, MBTA, to run efficiently I would take it from the south shore, but please. every day there is a different train delayed from either North or South station.

As soon as i can I am so out of this state. Once my child is done with college see ya!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyreader. Show kyreader's posts

Another increase to the Mass pike tolls. Funny how the tolls were to be a "temporary" solution to fund the highways' construction, something intended to disappear back in the 1960s. Well, it's been such a great cash cow for the state, no surprise it won't go away. If only we could get the T running a little faster, then it might not be so bad...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mauthedog. Show mauthedog's posts

Do what other states do: Tax the tourists/visitors coming in, or tax the people going out. NH, ME, MD, NY and DE do it. Lower the tools in Brighton that tax the commuter. Raise the Stockbridge tolls to $10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Sounds an awful lot like taxation without representation. It's an end around for them to not have to go before the people to raise revenue or should I say taxes. Get rid of the turnpike authority and roll it all into the Mass Highway department. It's ridiculous that we have two different entities controlling roads in this state. It's just a place for the politicians to place there schills, hacks and relatives in high paying jobs that the taxpayers have no control over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ironhorse4. Show ironhorse4's posts

Hey, WHY NOT?! MA Taxpayers have already been hosed by the $$ 22 Billion Dollar Big Dig Fiasco; what's a couple of more bucks? And people actually wonder why citizens are leaving this joke-of-a-State in droves....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jshea6882. Show jshea6882's posts

The people from the North already pay, it's the folks from South of Boston that get off scott free. I say raise a toll in Braintree so the load gets balanced North, South and West...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_25188. Show user_25188's posts

I think there has to be a real solution to TOLLS and MassPike.

I think we need to drive additional fees on a basket of services that all drivers and passengers should bear across the Commonwealth as we all benefit from all of the roads equally. For example, an increase in a small way for all Mass drivers license renewals, a little higher excise tax on vehicles based on value (which we have already), a little higher gasoline tax, a little higher percentage of the state budget going to retiring the tolls and the pike instead of continuous borrowing to pay for interest on bonds.

I am certain if we have Harvard Business School and MIT and BU MBA graduate students spend some of their intern time working through this issue they could come up with really workable numbers and a variety of schemes to figure out how to "Free the Taxpayers" from forever burdening us of the tyranny of a few tolls and bridges on three or four of our transportation throughways and highways. Why is it that we just tax a few people out of the entire Commonwealth when we all see the benefits of having roads? And tunnels? And Bridges? My feeling is that WE ALL PAY FOR EVERYTHING EQUALLY -- if we can't afford it to be that way we should not build the roads or bridges in the first place. And when we do decide to build a bridge or a road -- we are not allowed to build it unless we also approve a non-touchable maintenance and sustaining fund so that it can be cared for properly over it useful life and then replaced at its life's end rather than having it crumble to pieces like the Longfellow Bridge, the BU Bridge, The Tobin Bridge, and almost every other bridge in the Commonwealth at some point during its life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldMilwaukeeLite. Show OldMilwaukeeLite's posts

Hey 5x4 you ignorant lemming - instead of a transponder, why not set up a direct deposit right from your paycheck to the Pike? That would make it even simpler for them to steal your money - and more of it. When the problem is polution, traffic and lost time the solution is take to take down the tolls - not your fancy little transponder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston5911. Show boston5911's posts

Get rid of the Turnpike Authority in total, all of the crooks. Merge it into the Mass Highway Dept. Eliminate the tolls and increase the gas tax. It is ridiculous to have to pay to drive from Worcester to Weston but not from Quincy to Falmouth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from favcar. Show favcar's posts

Every member of the board who even considered this proposal for a moment should be fired immediately. This is a disgusting and insulting proposal - $8.50 to drive through the tunnel???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmanning. Show jmanning's posts

Staff the tollbooths with college students they work 20 hrs a week and get free tuition to a state school.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzB. Show BuzzB's posts

Raise them those poor toll takers need a raise! I'm so glad I moved out of Mass. I pay much lower taxes And have better weather here in sunny Florida.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldman33. Show oldman33's posts

All the more reason to take Mass Transit. How the hell can you afford to ride BY YOURSELF every friggin day on your cell phone to 'work'? Wake up' people! These are your elected officials telling YOU how to run your life AND YOU LISTEN TO Them! Until someone has the balls to face up to these bozos, then you have no one to blame. How do you think they get to work? Taxpayers credit card- taxpayers vehicles- the list goes on. Personally, I moved to Virginia five years ago and this is the reason why. I don't know how you people can afford to live in Massachusetts. With the economy the way it is, it's coming, baby. Five bucks will be looking real cheap in five years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from masssuxs. Show masssuxs's posts

Are you kidding. Look the Masspike was designed to pay for itself. That it has. People who want to use I 93 should pay for the big dig. I pay tolls on Mass Pike to keep it up. But those cheap a$$ who use 93 pay nothing. How is that fair. You have a hover lane that uses a machine who's driver makes oh 30-40 an hr. You have a 15 billion dollar job that you use but do you pay for it. NO. We have toll takers losing their job but tolls go up. Makes no sense the only reason is to make Mass pigs Fatter so when they leave this stepping stone they will have a pocket to use. Its absurd that Bridges and Mass Pike drivers pay for 93. If you want the quickest route pay for it if not use Freebie 128 and drive another few hours. People who use 93 are sucking the others dry. Deval make 93 a toll road PLEASE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

The absolute ABSURDITY of forcing only those coming from the west to pay for the Big Dig makes my blood boil. How absolutely unfair to let those on 93 off scott free while STEALING from the western suburbs. It is outrageous and makes me want to pack up & move out of state!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ward8. Show Ward8's posts

They should get rid of the tolls all together. That was the plan once the roads were paid for. Now they have been paid for twenty times over. This government is awful. It's too much of a cash cow for them to lose.
    I don't use the pike anymore, and yes enjoy the grid lock. They should be embarrassed with the way the run this state.
    I hate being here, and I used to love it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

[Quote]Massachusetts just doesn't get it. The tolls are a gigantic racket. Almost nowhere else in the country except the northeast are there toll roads. They are a classic example of the legislature saying one thing ("only for a couple of years until the road is paid for") then doing another ("umm. we can't get rid of the tolls. . . they pay for the road). The only reason the tolls exist is to pay for the people who collect them. The entire Massachusetts toll structure should be scrapped and started over again, fresh. And I don't even think that there SHOULDN"t be tolls anywhere, it's just that the whole system is such a complete mess that it needs to ripped away and started over.[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

[Quote]Massachusetts just doesn't get it. The tolls are a gigantic racket. Almost nowhere else in the country except the northeast are there toll roads. They are a classic example of the legislature saying one thing ("only for a couple of years until the road is paid for") then doing another ("umm. we can't get rid of the tolls. . . they pay for the road). The only reason the tolls exist is to pay for the people who collect them. The entire Massachusetts toll structure should be scrapped and started over again, fresh. And I don't even think that there SHOULDN"t be tolls anywhere, it's just that the whole system is such a complete mess that it needs to ripped away and started over.[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

[Quote]A coworker forwarded me this article.

So let's face it. Boston sucks. Always has, always will.

Everything about it. The people, the infrastructure, the weather, the traffic, the "drivers", all of the einsteins posting here.

That's why, thank all that is holy, that I don't live there anymore.

I got out and my quality of life is sooooooo much better.

Come to San Diego, baby....on second thought...um...stay where you are.[/Quote]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

[Quote]A coworker forwarded me this article.

So let's face it. Boston sucks. Always has, always will.

Everything about it. The people, the infrastructure, the weather, the traffic, the "drivers", all of the einsteins posting here.

That's why, thank all that is holy, that I don't live there anymore.

I got out and my quality of life is sooooooo much better.

Come to San Diego, baby....on second thought...um...stay where you are.[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from denheels. Show denheels's posts

I can't believe I still live here. This place is just unbelievable. How about raising the non resident taxes of the people from NH who use the Big Dig tunnels and bridge every day? The people who drive east west are taking on too much of the burden. Given the Globe calcs (published a couple of months ago) of the debt that's spiraling out of control it is only going to get worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrookedPolsandCEOs. Show CrookedPolsandCEOs's posts

Put toll booths on 93 Southbound at the New Hampshire border and charge all those free-riding bozos from New Hampshire about five bucks a trips!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from iretak. Show iretak's posts

Not sure why people West of the city get to take care of the mess that was created for those traveling north and south? Why not spend a few million and build some tolls on 93. Let's charge people from NH to come into our state? They do it for anyone going or coming from Maine. Let's get a little more creative than what is being proposed. Stupid liberal state drives me nuts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MP3. Show MP3's posts

I CANNOT BELIEVE OUR STATE GOV'T IS SO MESSED UP! WELL, AT LEAST IT IS NO WORSE THAN THE FEDS!! I THANK GOD THAT I HAVE STOPPED DRIVING THE TURNPIKE ON A REGULAR BASIS ---WHY IS IT THAT 93 AND 95 DON'T HAVE TO PAY TOLLS? THAT IS A UNIQUELY MASS VERSION OF FAIRNESS.
    GOOD GRIEF!!!