Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulQ101. Show PaulQ101's posts

[Quote]The tunrpike is the most expensive highway in the State to maintian becuase of patronage etc. A great deal of the moeny goes to the toll collection process itslef. Implement a gas tax that is fair to all residents regardless of where they live. Don't just tax thouse coming from the east or west. Eliminate the tolls altoghether and the authority and just impose a gas tax. Get it done Deval before you run off with Obama if he is elected.[/Quote]

Rex, I always figured that patronage had a lot to do with why that initiative to eliminate the tolls a couple of years back when nowhere. I mean, where else if Bawb O'Cawnah's wickid dumb cousin Billy gonna work? All that cahbin monawxide ain't gonna make him any more stupid!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkswordman. Show darkswordman's posts

Time to put the toll on I-93 north/south to share the pain.

Why people live in the west have to pay for everything while those who drive north and south on I-93 got it all free.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sneakysteve. Show sneakysteve's posts

The toll hikes are legitimate because Mass. has to pay for the cost overruns of the big dig. The federal government isnt willing to pay. This state has a long history of intentionally underestimating the true cost of projects and programs. The latest example is the state health insurance program which is rapidly spiraling out of control. People have to learn that "there aint nothing for nothing."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinovr. Show tinovr's posts

[Quote]Why stop there? Raise it to $100 and loss of limb.

As the US govt and state govts are finding out, when people stop using the service (gas for example) the tax revenues dive.

Here's a better question. Why not charge $20 to people who don't have FastLane. If you're stupid enough not to have a transponder, you're stupid enough to pay more than everyone else.[/Quote]

Talk about a stupid idea... a great deal of people use the Pike and tunnels less than once a month.. should they be penalized for not dishing out the $25 for each of their vehicles?

if you're stupid enough to live in a place where you have to use a toll road daily, then you're stupid enough to pay the price..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe03079. Show joe03079's posts

There is no one to blame but yourself. You voted these morons in power to raise taxes, tolls ... if they over spend or need extra $$ for their buddies. You get what you ask for!!

They should get rid of Mass Pike Authority and consolidate into MA highway. Get rid the tolls, fat cats ... WAKEUP MA!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canuck. Show Canuck's posts

MTA needs to look at other cities with tolls. Using an electronic system would eliminate the toll booths, eliminating the traffic build up and the toll collectors. An ETR (Electronic Toll Road) is the way to go, and still allows for the use of a transponder to get discounted rates, and takes pictures of license plates of those without a transponder, matches it to the registration, and then bills them monthly for the use. AND it is relatively cheaper to install than a toll booth system!

This is totally ridiculous to me and extremely hard to swallow. I'd love to use public transportation, but my work hours don't allow for me to do so since the MBTA SUCKS and doesn't start running until 5:30 really and stops before the bars even close.

Something has to give... and SOON! This city will look like a ghost town soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denehy1. Show Denehy1's posts

Once again this is typical ASSachusetts at its finest with the F*^Kin hacks trying to gouge everyone who actually works for a living. All drivers should just use Rt 9 or 30 screw Deval and all politicians at every level they all suck I hope they get aids and die

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

What a stupid headline. Who in their right mind would back a huge toll increase. I don't take the tunnels or Pike except for a rare trip to Logan and I'm opposed to a hike. As I said before, I'm opposed to the Mass Tpk authority's very existence.

Dump them all top to bottom. Replace all the greatly overpaid toll takers with electronic (and photo) collection means and pass the infrastructure/repairs to the DPW.

Make up the Big PIG deficit with a modest increase in the state tax on gas. That way, everyone in the state pays.

And what's happened to prosecuting and collecting Bechtel and the rest of the contractors that participated in this fraud on the taxpayers?

OTIS for GOVERNOR!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsample. Show samsample's posts

If this goes through, I think you can expect traffic on Rtes 9, 20, and 30 to skyrocket. Every town on those roads will be total gridlock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blue crab. Show blue crab's posts

I don't understand why rt 93 and 128 can't have tolls..Why not rts 30 and 16 Us out here are sick and tired of carring the burden for the rest of them

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from satamasy. Show satamasy's posts

Commuters from Metrowest and Central Masachusetts have shouldered the brunt of paying for the excesses of the Big Dig and the Turnpike Authority long eough. While it would be nice to think the Authority would consider slashing their salaries (there is no excuse when a toll-taker who is really nothing more than a glorified cashier is making $70K a year!!!!) I think the patronage system this state and its stupid unions encourage will negate that option. A far more equitable idea is to institute a state-wide gas tax.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuck02. Show tuck02's posts

a RARE situation when Massachusetts is not the highest tax place... we appear to be number 17 on the gas tax list. Our neighboring states are much higher (with the exception of VT and NH)...we are st 23.5 cpg )cents per gallon; Rhode Island is 30 cpg; Maine is 25.2 cpg; Connecticut is 25 cpg; New York is 31.9 cpg...our per capita consumption of motor gasoline is 445 gallons (2005 data was most recent I could find)...so even if we raised the gas tax to 25 cpg, we are talking an average increase of $668 per capita in taxes...our state population is 6.5 million (estimate based on 2006 census)...do the math...a 1.5 cent increase in a gas tax would allow for the elimination of tolls on the pike (easily), allow for greater funding of statewide TIPs (transportation improvement projects), and create equity for residents of the state...i'm a republican, and i would not normally support an increase in taxes, but this one is a no brainer....i've never understood why the western part of the state subsidizes everyone else's driving...and the great thing about this kind of tax increase (not that there ever really is a great thing about a tax increase) is that it's not a new tax...just change the percentage and watch the revenue come in...it would not require new state officials or overhead to put it in place...it essentially becomes an opportunity for the state to get a higher margin...something that is generally considered good in business...of course it would require a significant effort from the folks west of boston to make south shore and north shore folks agree to paying an extra $700 per year, but they've been subsidized for years, so if they haven't done anything with that subsidy after all these years, well it's too late.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Herme. Show Herme's posts

Why dont we get rid of the Turnpike Authority and see how much we can save from the elimination of a needless bureaucracy. It was supposed to have been eliminated years ago anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sballou. Show sballou's posts

It's about time drivers from the North and South of Boston who also use the roadways that are part of the Big Dig start paying as well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1618049. Show user_1618049's posts

Charge significantly more for anyone that doesn't use the FastLane ($5?)...Enough to give everyone the incentive to get one. (The state should just make it mandatory with registration.) We should work to save on toll employee headcount - not just charge more to pay the growing salaries of an unnecessary workforce. Sorry, Toll Booth Willie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmen0t. Show bugmen0t's posts

The problem isn't tolls - the problem is our adminstration has no transportation plan for the state. We have big dig debt. MBTA debt, bridges falling apart, patronage and bad unions in all transportation sectors. And the state lets these agencies apply bandages to themselves while 'leaders' sit by and do nothing.

do-nothing-Deval needs to get his act together and address the transportation and debt problems as one entity and get a plan together, not just fiddle whiel transportation burns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from senorN. Show senorN's posts

It's the same kind of story as Wall St. for the BigDig/MTA. Poor oversight and controls leads to greedy bastards who skim, steal and waste. And now they want us to foot the bill. This country's leadership seems to have lost all sense of morals/ethics/responsibility. Wasn't this kind of thing the whole reason that this country was formed? to get away from government that thought they could do whatever they wanted?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyLee. Show TommyLee's posts

NO NO NO!!! I would not support a toll hike. $5?!?! Are you kidding me??? Does that come with coffee and a donut??

This state sucks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soonihope. Show soonihope's posts

Support this increase - are you kiddding me???!!! It is beyond me why commuters from the west are forced to pay for the Big Dig - I DON"T EVEN USE IT! This issue absolutely infuriates me, and I am sick that my bills may be going up another $80 per month.

And no, I cannot take the commuter rail... if I did, it would take over 2 hrs to get to work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjgolf385. Show mjgolf385's posts

Ways to solve this issue:
    1. pay cuts for the lazy fatcats running the authority
    2. fire all toll collectors and replace with machines (cash or swipe card) like many states and increase the # of fast pass lanes
    3. keep tolls $1 for fast pass $2 for using machines
    4. hire an actual accomplished business person to run the authority, if it was run like a company, they would get lean fast.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MetrowestRevolt. Show MetrowestRevolt's posts

Metrowest continues to get screwed and enough is enough! Where is the outrage at the inequity! My wife and I pay $1,500/yr in tolls and are now facing a $750-$1,000 increase while I-93 drivers pay nothing????

It is time for a Metrowest Revolution! If our legislators lack the political horsepower to represent us, it is time for action. Rolling blockades of I-93 might get some attention.

A $0.03 - 0.05/gal increase in the gas tax would cost the average driver $50/yr but the legislature lacks the courage to do the right thing. So they'll continue to stick it to the poorly represented Pike drivers. What if any legal options are there for a class action lawsuit against the state?

Does anyone have some suggestions? Legal, civil disobedience, etc.?

Enough is enough. Don't tread on me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrSki. Show MrSki's posts

What a joke the pike is. The tolls should have been eliminated years ago as once was discussed. I refuse to pay for another blunder the State has created and will opt to drive into Boston on secondary roads.

I also fly out of RI rather then Logan. It is so much easier and less of a headache.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pan. Show Pan's posts

No more tolls! -- wasn't this road paid off long ago?

Storrow Drive will be a day-long parking lot if these toll increases go through. With the exorbitant parking rates, it's already prohibitive to buy anything in Boston unless you absolutely have to.

We should increase the gas tax sufficient to fund the Pike and all the other highway infrastructure maintenance that is needed. This is a no-brainer -- it will encourage smaller, more fuel efficient cars that will result in less congestion and less dependence on oil. Massachusetts should be on the forefront of developing an affordable 100 mpg city car.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyLee. Show TommyLee's posts

[Quote]I hope everyone understands that they don't want to raise it this much. They want to raise it 50 cents or 1 dollar and are using the higher number to make the smaller numbers look good.[/Quote]

Wdballotta is EXACTLY right. This is how they do things. It's sickening.

They won't actually make it $8.50 for tunnels, but they will increase it $0.50 or $1 and then they'll pull this same crap in 6 months to a year and repeat until it levels off around $5. Or I should say $5.50 - they wouldn't want to make it easy on us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr944. Show Mr944's posts

...It's all talk. People will still use the road. Tolls went up last January. These days, at rush hour, the Pike is a complete parking lot from Route 495/Westboro until you get into four lanes near Boston. Nothing will change.