Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosern. Show rosern's posts

As if the current fiscal crisis weren't enough for us to worry about, the MA Turnpike Authority now wants to raise tolls to an exorbitant level just to go to Logan. A month or so ago, our State Legislature decided not to install toll booths on Rte. 93, but to "stick it" to those of us who live downtown and/or use the pike frequently. Since the infamous Big Dig eliminated the 93 bridges and created the tunnel system, it seems to me that it would only be fair for our brothers and sisters from the northern suburbs... and New Hampshire!... to share in the burden. Why not exact payment from them too? NH has toll booths at its borders and MA residents pay their share of keeping up those roads. Making 93 a toll road would seem a pretty obvious solution to the pike's financial woes. It would be fascinating to see how many of our legislators drive 93 daily, or even frequently. Maybe this should be one of the Globe's next investigations!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmv1971. Show cmv1971's posts

foob99 536704
    Comments: 3

9/26/2008 1:08:34 PM

If you're stupid enough not to have a transponder, you're stupid enough to pay more than everyone else.
    from 5x4 in Post #7799071950986915028

"If you are stupid enough to have a transponder, then you're stupid enough to not care if the government monitors your comings and goings without probable cause. Thanks, but I like my privacy just like it is - I don't need electronic records of my whereabouts on government computers."

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to raise this "big brother" argument. Come on, what are you afraid of the gov't finding out from "tracking" your "whereabouts". Outsourcing is happening all over the place for skilled workers and yet we can't eliminate jobs where people are making $70K to make change when there is already technology in place to do it?? Give me a break...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenzenz. Show tenzenz's posts

And how much of this money would actually go toward buying down the debt from the Big Dig? 5cents on the dollar, after the executives give them selves raises, hire more political cronies and provide for their own 5 or 6 figure bonuses as reward for pushing through the Fare Hikes. Close down every Toll, & Outlaw them once-and-for-all. It's just a Hack Department, that ends up costing taxpayers more than it's worth, as well as the traffic jams it creates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcgleech. Show mcgleech's posts

Nearly double the tolls on the Pike while leaving I-93 free? Hardly seems right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I have never been happier that I moved to a place where I will virtually never have to take the Pike. But I will say that it's ridiculous for people who use the Pike to pay for the Big Dig. I used to take the Pike to work every day, but I have never driven on I-93. Why should people who only use the Pike pay for a road they don't even use?

Also, for everyone who is against the toll hikes - just think how much higher the tolls will go if the income tax is revoked after the election.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilP. Show WilP's posts

Although I don't use the Pike regularly, I wonder why those drivers need to carry most of the load for the Big Dig. Why don't we add tolls ($5)? to the north and south ends of 93 & 3 so that drivers need to pay to leave the state and also add $0.02 per gallon to the gas tax. We all let the Commonwealth do this dig, we should all be involved in the cost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

Let me get this straight.

You dont buy any products that come through our seaport or airport, visit any museums, go to any sporting events - or benefit in any way from Boston being the economic hub of our state, and New England in general?

Give me a break.[/Quote]

All my money went to the tolls, so I pretty much just sit at home all day and watch TV. I can't afford to buy any products. So - no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CentralMassFool. Show CentralMassFool's posts

Collecting the tolls on the Pike is both inefficient and inequitable. Inefficient in that it costs over 20% of toll dollars collected to cover the cost of collecting the toll dollars, that doesn't include the hackers stealing money (Toll collectors accused of theft arraigned - http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/06/28/toll_collectors_accused_of_theft_arraigned/) compared to a tax which costs 1-2% to collect (and no hackers stealing the money). Inequitable in that it charges one section of the state to pay for use of roads by others, central and western Mass subsidize Northshore, Southshore, and New Hampshire drivers. Stop the madness, eliminate the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and merge with Highway Department. Raise gas tax a nickel and get all the money you need. If this doesn't happen, we need to start booting out our elected state officials.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stowe. Show stowe's posts

The Mass Turnpike's costs are mainly for enormous debt accumulated from the Big Dig (which prior administrations inappropriately assigned to Mass Turnpike...a dopey idea, but it is the law of our land) and costs of maintaining/repairing roadways which increasing volumes of heavy trucks tear up. Unless the Legislature reassigns the debt from the Big Dig (a major state asset which benefits users who mostly do not take the Pike, e.g., I-93, and who pay nothing to enjoy The Greenway) from the Pike to another agency, like EOT, to be paid for by statewide bond money, tolls are the ONLY source of revenue that can be scaled up by the Turnpike to pay the bills. Staff cuts...now and future...represent a needed but too small amount to offset the total bills that must be paid. NYC tolls are $8. Yankees suck and so do tolls, but the bills must be paid. Even if people shut down the Pike or take other routes, the bills and debts will need to be paid, AND those payment WILL come from another source of revenue...such as a much higher personal and corporate income tax...not from tolls. Maybe the tolls should be extended beyond only the Pike equally to all drivers of all roadways, or at least to major Boston-area roadways...such as I-93 N&S, Rte 1, Rte 16, Storrow Drive, Rte 128, etc? Then, the tolls for the pike might be able to remain the same, or even be lowered. However, the state's bills will be paid by The People. What are the other choices? By the way, most any other major state is in the same dilemma of crumbling roadway and bridges that need even more tax money (and taxes) to funnel into payments than do we in Massachusetts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidn1205. Show davidn1205's posts

It is obvious to me that Mass pols do not care about anyone but themselves....No matter how much we moan and decry these constant rip-offs, no one cares....It is time to stop talking and start acting....Make these scumbags accountable and FEARFUL of the voters, and then they will stop screwing us....Any other way will result in the same old same old rip-offs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pizza04. Show Pizza04's posts

I agree...DOWN WITH THE UNIONS!!! They are a waste of time and money. And, I absolutely love my gas guzzling SUV!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbd45. Show tbd45's posts

Reinstate the tolls on the west mass pike -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from northendmatt. Show northendmatt's posts

[Quote]
    It is unfair the way those West of the "Holy City" are treated. Why should I pay tolls to pay for the ills of the Big Dig when I am driving from Worcester to Sturbridge. Furthermore, my trip into Boston typically ends BEFORE I even reach the Big Dig. The people who should pay are those who drive from the north (New Hampshire, etc.) over the fancy new bridge and through the new tunnels, not us. Why can they use the roads for free while I can't? Can we move the tolls from I-90 to I-93? We were promised long ago that the tolls would go when the road is paid for. Thanks for keeping your promise.
    [/Quote]

You're not paying for the Big Dig when you drive from Worcester to Sturbridge. The pike is only allowed to use the $ from Weston, A/B, and the tunnels to pay for the Big Dig. When you drive from Worcester to Sturbridge, you are, however, paying for a bunch of freeloaders west of Springfield who complained until the tolls were removed from Exit 1 to Exit 6 (and the pike is still responsible for maintaining that road).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bulldog2616. Show Bulldog2616's posts

tell all the whiners to move to New Hampshire-yes there are probably some additional oversight needed for the Pike, but if the State Highway Dept did half the job the Pike Maint Crew and snow plow teams do we would be better off-Yes I have a transponder and like the fact to make additional EX Pass lanes. Any one from West of Rt495 complains all the time about Boston this Boston that-I live in Western Mass and love Boston-"The Hub"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scrotedog. Show Scrotedog's posts

How about cutting back on the 53k per year salary of toll collectors! Or, $70k plus after overtime - to collect coins! Come on now... Get rid of 90% of the toll collectors, hike rates for the cash only option, push people to FastLane, and there you go. Who the hell is running this ship, Mr. Magoo?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lincoln321. Show lincoln321's posts

[Quote]So this sounds a little hypocritical coming from a cop's wife (they are getting rid of details) but honestly at least my husband provides a service, why don't we elimnate the toll taker positions (minus 1 or 2 supervisors per toll) and offer them first crack at the flagger positions. This way we aren't putting them out of work entirely and we DO NOT NEED to raise tolls. I think it's pretty funny that the Pike was suppose to be toll free as of a few years ago.[/Quote]

That is actually one of the best ideas yet!

I rarely use the Pike and take the train into Boston from the south; it always seemed odd to me that there are tolls west of the city but not on 93 or 95. If the toll $ was put to good use then I would be all for paying some to travel on these roads. There should be a monthly charge, similar to a T pass, for commuters who are charged a flat rate to go through the tolls. Higher rates for those who pay per trip.

Write to your State Rep.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    One last thing - there's a massive environmental cost to slow-moving, idling cars and stop and go traffic that would be created if cars moved off the Pike and onto secondary roads. Cars are more efficient and less polluting when they're moving at high rates of speed than when they brake and accelerate. [/Quote]

Yes, but how is the impact of taking secondary roads any different from the slow-moving, idling cars and stop and go traffic on the Pike - especially around the tolls? I shaved 20 minutes off my morning commute by taking Route 9 to 495 instead of the Pike, even with the lights and the extra five miles. I also got an extra day's travel out of a tank of gas.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    the worst is the I84 exit, where i have been held up for over 30 minutes. [/Quote]

That's nothing. At the Brighton/Cambridge exit, I've waited over 45 minutes during rush hour. Not fun when you're drinking coffee on the way in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from citykitty617. Show citykitty617's posts

MEOW - CATS DONT NEED ROADS

THIS SUCKS

THE CAT

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

Maybe some of us don't want a record of every place we go.

[/Quote]

They won't know every place you go unless you live, work, and spend all your free time on the Pike. Most of us go elsewhere at least once in awhile.

I can see not wanting to shell out the money for the transponder up front, but if you drive through the Weston and Brighton tolls daily, it pays for itself in a couple of weeks. The only reason it makes sense not to have a transponder is if you don't use the Pike very often.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gernn. Show gernn's posts

Revenue increases of the severity and magnitude for which the Authority is calling suggest a dire funding crisis that requires a fundamental restructuring of Massachusetts government. The most dismal aspect is that the Turnpike Authority cannot envision it's own mortality. If the revenue outlook is this severe it is time for the Authority to be disbanded- no more justification of their existence beacuse of parsed statements in a charter that was drawn up half a century ago- It is time for this patronage haven to disband and fold itself into the Highway department. Like the elimiatiom of police construction details, let's attack and kill all the other sacred cows of state government- the defined benefit pensions and archane work rules of public employees, the Suffollk courthouse, Massport- no funding haven should be immune. With the looming economic recession it is time for the few responsible lawmakers to act ahead of the curve and restructure our government for the 21st century.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nedwinr1. Show nedwinr1's posts

I already avoid the Turnpike at all costs by using local roads...This will only move traffic onto the already snarled local roads. Anyone who looks at the Turnpike near downtown at rush hour can see that it's almost always empty. It's probably the only empty interstate in a downtown area in the US. This isn't because people are scrambling onto the T or Commuter Rail...it's because everyone's on Memorial Drive, Route 9, Beacon St, and Commonwealth Ave, among others.
    The state should give a discount to people who use Easy Pass, as they do in NY, and then perhaps raise tolls only for those who don't use Easy Pass, so that collection costs don't go up (AND don't charge people for the transponder!!!). Then raise the gas tax with the extra money earmarked for the Turnpike, and eventually eliminate or reduce the tolls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from krissie11965. Show krissie11965's posts

Why oh Why does this state keep punishing the users of the Tobin Bridge & the Mass Pike. With the prices of gas, cost of living, food etc. I did not have a choice when my company moved to the Western part of the state and have to travel over 100 miles a day. It costs me $10.00 a day in tolls as it is, how do polititians in this state think us working class citizens can handle any more?
    We need to stand up to them and say-NO MORE, take the toll booths down and cut your pay! Start doing your jobs and fix the big mess you have created in this state! Go on another trip to support Obama-NO stay here and do your damn job!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ibambe. Show ibambe's posts

In general, we need to do more to finance roads, bridges and other infrastructure through user fees. Paying for it through general funds or a gas tax, encourages overuse and underfunding. While not in favor of strict privatization, we need to make sure that the people who require the infrastructure, pay for it. Why should the rest of the State subsidize the use of highways that tore down our homes and increase our pollution levels and asthma rates?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

You have an enhanced sense of your self worth. No one is interested in your comings and going. Sorry. You're not that interesting.[/Quote]

Such a weird feeling I'm having right now... it's so rare that I agree with you.

Also, for those of you who care, if the government were to use the transponders to monitor where you're going, they wouldn't need probable cause, because you gave them consent when you got the stupid thing. But I don't think anyone in the government is bored enough to follow me around all day.

Sections
Shortcuts