Toll Hikes for the Mass. Turnpike

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMovieFan. Show TheMovieFan's posts

[Quote]My view?

I'd encourage EVERY driver to bypass the Pike completely and travle thru the little towns that parallel it all the way to Boston creating a gridlock nightmare in protest of this nightmare road.[/Quote]

I've been doing that for the last 3 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

All you TAXACHUSETTS Liberal commies should shut up and pay whatever tolls and taxes your elected officials tell you. Why not just send your paychecks to Beacon Hill and they can send you back an allowance. You get the gov't you deserve.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JML02118. Show JML02118's posts

According the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, no federal funds will be expended for the construction, reconstruction or improvement of toll roads.

That being pointed out, the Pike needs to be self sustainable as it receives no federal highway funds for its upkeep. I-95/I-93 on the otherhand do receive federal highway funds for its upkeep and expansion. To make I-93 a toll road would require the state to give up federal highway funds and be able to generate the funds it needs to maintain these roads while also generating the revenue needed to pay down its agency's debt. That's not going to happen, the MTA can barely pay down the debt as it is.

The option that makes more sense is a congestion tax, if you drive in or out of the city from like 7am-10am or from 4pm-7pm then you would be subject to this tax. The tax would be used solely to pay for state highway and tollway needs (aka pay for bridge repairs, debt reduction, repaving), but would be excluded from being used for administrative purposes (salaries, advertising, etc).

This works both ways folks ... if you want people from Boston to come and visit the burbs, pick apples in your orchards, see your leaves turn colours, listen to classical music in the summer. You choose where you want to live and pay the price for doing so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I thought the Mass Turnpike Tolls were only temporary until the road was paid for.

Does anyone know how I can apply for a job at the Mass Turnpike?? I hear they pay excessively well, require little work, have amazing benefits and a great pension???

Do I need to be related to someone??? Are there any legislators out there that I can do a favor for so i can get one of those jobs???

If you can't beat them, join them right????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bowl. Show bowl's posts

It just amazes me that the level of stupidity by Massachusetts lawmakers increases everytime they propose nailing Massachusetts taxpayers with more burdens. It comes so easy for them to increase the burden on taxpayers without remorse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1160284. Show user_1160284's posts

who is going to spend $2.25 to use the Allston/Brighton toll? everyone is going to use exit 17 and the pike will be backup for miles for ppl to get off that exit. Soldier field road, memorial drive, storrow drive, commonwealth, etc will be jammed. And they are talking to close down storrow drive to fix the tunnel. do they know what they are doing?

We tried to put that on the ballet to eliminate the tolls but got voted off. Why would the ppl in the North/South want to get rid of the tolls? it is none of their business and we are paying to fix their roads/bridges.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoJoM154. Show JoJoM154's posts

MA Democratsy who all voted for Deval. Wait til Obama gets in we won't be upset just about tolls. Why do the people who live in NH get a free ride in to work in MA but the people from the West pay huge fairs, I'm moving someplace warm and reasonable this place is ridiculous

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkleen2002. Show mrkleen2002's posts

[Quote]MA Democratsy who all voted for Deval. Wait til Obama gets in we won't be upset just about tolls. Why do the people who live in NH get a free ride in to work in MA but the people from the West pay huge fairs, I'm moving someplace warm and reasonable this place is ridiculous[/Quote]

Nice try rewriting history Jo.

All of the mismanagement of the Big Dig AND the recent problems at the Mass Turnpike Authority came under REPUBLICAN Governors and REPUBLICAN Turnpike Chairman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkleen2002. Show mrkleen2002's posts

[Quote]

MA Republicans (governors, et al) largely opearate with their balls cut off, as the entire state is run by the left (large communists).[/Quote]

Republican Governors APPOINTED every Turnpike Chairman since the 1992 - but once again, dont let the facts get in the way of your party taking its share of the blame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wyzguy333. Show wyzguy333's posts

[Quote]
    Flip burgers, clean toilets, fill soda cups, work a cash register, and bag orders at McDonalds, no benefits, no pension - $8.00/hour

Make change in a toll both - $70,000/year + benefits

Keeping an organization in debt to keep the cash cow alive - Priceless
    [/Quote]

I saw on channel 5 news one woman lived in Winthrop and worked in Newton.....It cost her $12 a day just in tolls not including gas!