Too tough on teen drivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

The Boston Globe today reported that new laws are snagging more teen speeders who then show up at RMV hearings, cursing and pleading to keep their licenses.

What do you think? Is this bad teen behaviour or unfair laws?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

If parents can't their teach kids to be responsible drivers, then the state will. Its called taking responsibility for your actions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Considering our entire system is bogged down with special interest groups and red tape- I'm glad SOMEONE is fighting and not just letting the system bleed them dry...

I can't stand the crazy drivers of this state- but I will say this much- 55 MPH on sections of 128 is a joke, as are plenty of other traffic laws that are in effect.

Totally different topic- but the radio said it best this morning as well: thanks to MADD our drunk driver laws permanently keep you in a system designed to drain you of freedoms and $$. The current threshold is MUCH lower than what the AMA and doctors say is the point of imparement. Why? Because "won't someone think of the children?!?!?" as Mrs. Lovejoy says on The Simpsons?

In closing- go teems, fight the system- because apparently we don't have anyone else doing it. And the system is CLEARLY a huge freaking joke at this point...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

Taking the priveledge to drive for 90 days is excessive. Keep the speeding ticket fines, maybe suspend for two weeks. A 90 day suspension impacts jobs, helping parents cart siblings, and certainly a number of other things. You can't teach someone to do something better by not letting them do it.
    Now if they are texting, thats a whole different ball of wax, I say shoot em.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

I think it's great. There are too many drivers around with a clear disregard for the rules and common courtesy. Hopefully this will make today's teens better drivers going forward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kapsas. Show Kapsas's posts

This article should have begun with the line about fatal crashes by teenagers being down 37% last year. This is by far the most important point in the article. Further in the article we could then read about the deeply "wronged" infantile teenagers and their infantile "parent-friends".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky. Show sparky's posts

Someone needs to remind these kids that driving is not an entitlement, it's a privilege.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MelissaCSmith. Show MelissaCSmith's posts

I think that partents need to thank the law makers and police officer when it comes to this! They are extremely lucky that all they have to worry about is having their children's license suspended and a fine paid. Next time that teenager will think twice about speeding. I mean come on, I have seen some pretty horrible accidents that could have been avoided if someone hadn't been speeding! Parents need to be thankful that they are able to stand next to their children in appeals instead of a grave.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

It's about time. The kids are to young to be driving. I think it's BAD teen behaviour. Kids drive while text messaging - what are they thinking???? Obviously - they don't think!!!
    I am glad to see this happen - it's a welcome form of safety...it's about time the State has done somethign that will count. The evidence is there, people die in car accidents due to teen irresponsibility.
    My guess is that they will drive anyway, (illegally of course). Parents buy cars for the kids - it's a status thing and I blame them as well.
    Driving is a privilage!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 258401. Show 258401's posts

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Whiners

How about 50% of the drivers out there that cant drive, let’s put those rules in place for you and see how you like it when you’re going 7MPH over the speed limit and an officer needs to fill his quota.

Everyone speeds at one time or another so stop trying to put it to those who have not say.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from abalone. Show abalone's posts

My son just got his junior operator's license. $500 is stiff. 90 days is OK. (I'm curious what the penalty is for adults under the same circumstances). I wouldn't rely on communication in a driver's ed program. Instead, make them read and sign a document when they get their license acknowledging the laws and the penalties (make their parents sign it too). The hearing officer can then just simply give them the document back. It will be hard to object.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ducky1234. Show ducky1234's posts

Ok. It is very simple. If you don't want to get your license suspended then DON'T SPEED. What is with the nasty parents? And the kids mouthing off? Hello?

I have seen so many parents speeding with their kids in the car. Is it no wonder, then, when the kids get behind the wheel they speed?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbo5050. Show bobbo5050's posts

It's tough being a kid these days. Bad teen behavior and bad laws are always the case so it is hard to choose one over the other. This is just the beginning of tough love here in MA. Losing your license for a while is nothing compared to the higher cost of your auto insurance (at least $500) and maybe you'll avoid being a liveshot on the 11 o'clock news. Take a look at teendriverinsurance.com and see what you are doing wrong and grow up because we need everyone we can get to pay for social security (which is underfunded thanks to our politicians who know who can't vote yet! You could also do some advanced driver training and see what speeding can do to your ability to keep yourself and others alive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoJoM154. Show JoJoM154's posts

The monetary penalty is too much. The cost of 500 plus cost of school and then retaking the license is excessive. I think that each case should be looked at differently the kid doing 90-100 on the highway is different then the one doing 32 in a 25. Two different ball games there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

"A 90 day suspension impacts jobs, helping parents cart siblings, and certainly a number of other things."

So doesn't a dead teeanger or one that is in jail for vehicular homicide. 90 days versus a lifetime? It's a no brainer, keep that aspect of the law. A monetary fine does not have the impact that a restriction in a teenager's freedom has.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostbbbttm. Show bostbbbttm's posts

[Quote]This article should have begun with the line about fatal crashes by teenagers being down 37% last year. This is by far the most important point in the article. Further in the article we could then read about the deeply "wronged" infantile teenagers and their infantile "parent-friends".[/Quote]

Yes, but nationally road deaths are down between 14 and 20 percent (source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jgfduSeaOaZMseGsGzQlbQT3J8cgD92322DG1). Is it the insane fines or is it the fact that poeple, especially teens with very limited means, are simply unable to afford the gas for the joy rides and other non-essential travel? Hard to say, but clearly it's more than just the fines and suspensions.

If various forms of punitive action by the government really did dissuade members of society from commiting crime than our jails would be a lot more empty than they are now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stardust462. Show stardust462's posts

[Quote]Other drivers need to stop harrassing the teens that are keeping the speed limit. I see honking and tailgating, just because the teens are trying to obey the law and keep their license. I wonder if teens are thinking why they have to obey the law when the majority don't seem to.[/Quote]
    I completely agree with this. I didn't drive much in high school and college because I never had my own car till after I graduated. When I first started driving regularly to work I always went the speed limit, maybe 5 miles above. Especially on suburb roads I was always tailgated. Now I go 5-10 mph above, depending on traffic, road conditions, etc. I know, if every one else jumped off a bridge, blah blah. But I was sick of having people tailgating me.

I think the 90 day suspension is good. I don't really agree with the huge fine get it reinstated. That doesn't affect all teenage drivers the same way. Some just have mommy and daddy pay for it because they're spoiled. That doesn't solve anything. Plus, if this is the case, it's not fair that some one who was going 5-10 miles above the speed limit on a highway should pay the same amount as someone who was going 20+ through a residential area. It should be tiered somehow.

Stiff penalties need to be in place for ALL drivers, not just teenagers. Where do you think teenagers learn it from anyways? They spend 16 years in the car with parents and other adults, and they have probably seen them and other drivers get away with speeding, tailgating, running red lights, rolling stops, etc. thousands of times. The example set for them is not right.

It needs to stop with ALL drivers. People will do anything and go anywhere to, for example, find a treatment for their cancer or a loved ones cancer. There is massive mosquite spraying when just a couple get West Nile. But when they get in a car, all caution is thrown to the wind to the safety of the driver, and especially with the other drivers around them. Dangerous driving kills thousands of people every year. If that risk isn't enough for people to slow down, then there needs to be more consequences.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpbutler. Show jpbutler's posts

The penalties seem a little excessive, but I agree with the earlier posters that the decline in teen deaths makes up for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from backontrack. Show backontrack's posts

Hooray for responsibility! We live in a Democracy. This Law did not just “pass” (i.e. the legal system has a process) and if there is a desire for change, stop whining and DO something. That comment applies to the idiotic comments about particular speed limits. (re: 128 – how many accidents, many fatal occur regularly on that roadway???) There are good drivers and bad drivers. I may agree the punishment for teen first offenses is somewhat harsh, but cursing at the Court? To hear it is BOTH the parents and children (in front of the Parents) begs the question about these people’s integrity and respect. If you cannot respect a Court Officer, what would make one think you would respect the other drivers and pedestrians you are potentially putting in harms way? To justify it for work or school reasons, these children/teens just got their licenses and then broke the law. Do what was done before you received the “privilege” (it is a privilege, not a right) to drive. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Never have I heard being rude in Court has one a Judge/Hearing Officer/etc., over. The most insane statement is the quote regarding how a Father does not want his “child”, who was an offender, in a car with a “child” who does not know how to drive. What has prepared his daughter to be a NASCAR driver at the same age, yet her friends are incompetent? Poor Daddy has to drive her around. She apparently has a heavy foot; maybe she can pound some pavement to a bus or train. I hope this girl’s friend sees “Daddy’s” comment. Nice. Lastly, not just teens loose their licenses for speeding. Adults do as well. Granted, the law is different, but the expectation is they have experience, but no one is given unlimited permission to endanger lives. One point I wish had been covered was whether this Law applies only to Teens or to anyone who has received their license within a specific period of time. Regardless of age, experience is required to drive “well”, not that all drivers develop good habits. No one just slides behind the wheel and knows how to properly handle a vehicle, let along particular situations one may encounter (typically more difficult to avoid when speeding).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from estebanano. Show estebanano's posts

This seems absurd to me. Are we to assume that drivers over 18 don't speed? Why not bag everyone? I know a 50 driver that drives like an @$$ so why not take away her license? I agree with the kid in the article: give them a warning first, or make it universal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chewy9. Show chewy9's posts

Hooray! I work with teens and they think the world owes them. They tell me they consistently break the six month rule on driving with other people in their cars, sometimes with their parents blessing. There is NO better way to teach them the lesson that Massachusetts is serious about speeding than to hit them with a stiff penalty. My own daughter made a mistake (not speeding) that cost her the $500 reinstatement fee, and she lost her license as well for a short time. She learned her lesson....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

Kids have to learn that there are consequences when they do something wrong. Plus there's already enough crappy drivers in the state. Good to curb the habit when they're young.

As for the parents who are furious about their children losing their license for 90 days, you are the reason so many kids now are self-entitled, materialistic brats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonstudent. Show bostonstudent's posts

Once again, people need to learn that better education is the first step.

Teens need more required driving time on the road before their road test. Giving teens fines is important to teach a lesson, but take the fines and put them into more driver's ed. A teen has to drive, what, less than 10 hours with a trainer before the test? (Not all parents teach their kids.) Take a moment to think about that. And the test focuses on three point turns the most...I'm sure those are the least of most people's concerns on the road. Yes, teens will always be trouble on the road, but at least they'll know how to pull out into traffic (my personal biggest pet peave).

And PLEASE begin testing people over age 65 to renew! Of course many elders drive fine, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind being tested? Every day I see an older person on the road who clearly didn't see the person trying to cross the street, the car taking a turn, or the red light in front of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kchin5000. Show kchin5000's posts

I'm all for the new law since it is lowering the teen accident rate by 37%. People need to be reminded that driving is a priviledge and not an entitlement. Don't be upset with RMV Officials. Take responsibility for your child's actions. It's the law now so people need to deal with it. I wish this law would extend to cover drunk drivers as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from organic. Show organic's posts

If stiffer penalties is what it takes, then so be it. It amazes me that parents act like they do in such cases, shame. So it is no wonder the kids act the same. boo who...

Sections
Shortcuts