Top Ten Reason to Move Out of Mass

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neil0311. Show neil0311's posts

Here are mine in no particular order:

1) Lousy roads...potholes, frost heaves, deferred maintenance....probably the worst in the US

2) High auto insurance rates and insane rules that make it impossible to have a clean driving record, since tickets and accidents stay surchargeable for 6 years

3) Police details that shake down towns and utility customers for millions

4) Small town attitudes and town government systems that are rife with cronyism and inefficiency. Why does every little town of a few thousand people have its own police, fire, schools, DPW, etc....and the town is full of apathetic people, so the only a small number of voters, who seem to be mostly over 65 years old, vote at town meetings.

5) Firearm laws that leave it to the chief of police of your town as the sole arbiter of your right to own a firearm.

6) A Legislature that discounts the will of the people and always feels it knows better, and a group of liberal voters who keep re-electing them. The single party system in MA can only lead to excesses and overreaching by the libs

7) Even if tax burden is lower than some other states like CT, NY, NJ, CA, for a population of 6.5 million people, the state budget is $33 billion. That ranks very high on a per capita basis. The state could spend waaaay less and return some of that to the taxpayers and have an even more attractive tax policy

8) Education is not as great as people try to convince you that it is. Some towns have good schools and some have really bad schools. It depends on the property values, tax rates, and amount of business in the town.

9) Weather... possibly the worst in the entire country.

10) Old and expensive housing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

One person's bad weather is not another person's bad weather, so I don't understand people assuming that everyone wants to live in a place where it is very hot for much of the year. I would HATE that. I like the seasons and even enjoy a good snowstorm. When did everyone become such wimps and start complaining so much? In a million years I wouldn't live in Texas, Florida or Nevada because I hate very hot weather. Why can't people just live where they want and stop talking about it. When people move why do they have such a hard time cutting ties and feel the need to keep telling everyone how much it sucks here? It doesn't, it's a good place to live.

If you like so much then find a newspaper and a message board and start living your life there. Or are you trying to prove to yourselves that you hate MA and love where you are?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Thankfully, many of the reasons I used to dislike Mass are coming to an end and I therefore have no problem sticking around:

-The cost of living is dropping. Rent and house/condo prices are dropping- next year I actually expect I'd be able to buy/rent somewhere I'd actually like to live, as opposed to only being able to afford somewhere that no one wants to live....

-The end of "lux": With the economic downturn, I am seeing less $15 martinis and other excesses that Boston seemed to be adopting at full scale. It's finally ok to just have a beer or wear Old Navy...

-Bad drivers... 3 times in the past month I have seen troopers and officers stopping and ticketing M(a)ss(hole) drivers. The roads are getting safer thanks to officers actually pulling people over who deserve it!

-Oppressive nanny laws. In the last 2 months, this state decriminalized pot and Boston actually let the cigar bars stay open. Sure, its only 2 things- but its a start and proof that citizens have SOME rights. Maybe its a hopeful start to more American-style "rights" in the future.

-NIMBYs: looks like Cape Wind and some other Boston highrise developments have gotten approval or are moving along nicely. Looks like someone finally shut up the whining crazies who preach progress but practice the opposite...

Unfortunately: opressive practices such as over-the-top political correctness and enviro-wacko fever are prevalent. However, given the other option of crazy Bible-belters who don't believe in that hubbabaloo thing called science, well what are you going to do???

At the end of the day- if you can handle the earthquakes, fires, volcanoes, etc. The West Coast from Seattle down to San Diego is the height of awesomeness in the USA. But Mass is getting better and was nice to begin with- people finally seem to be getting it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

How MA people decided not to allow grocery stores to sell beer and wine is beyond me. You people should get yourself a ballot question on that issue and make your lives easier.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]
    How MA people decided not to allow grocery stores to sell beer and wine is beyond me. You people should get yourself a ballot question on that issue and make your lives easier.
    [/Quote]

It's real hard making a stop at the liquor store let me tell you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]Well, I'm glad I got a discussion going that got so many replies. Mass is a decent place. I do miss Boston and the Atlantic coast and the proximity to NH and ME. But when I see the reports of back to back snow storms I enjoy the LA sun that much more.[/Quote]

The snow only sucks if you live in the city. Unfortunately I live in Southie, biggest mistake I ever made in my entire life....and that's saying a lot : )
    and it's brutal when it snows. I'm amazed at how selfish, lazy and ignorant the people in Southie are when it comes to shoveling.
    Anyway, enough about that, enjoy your great weather out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

Clearly, you have NEVER traveled ANYWHERE in this country to make a statement like "Massachusetts is not a laughing stock" . It is the JOKE of the world. You would have to live under a rock not to see that.

[/Quote]

Joke of the world? You couldn't possibly be exagerating could you???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Wow, nicely said Ayn. As a rule, I don't respond to namecallers, glad you did it for me.

My other rule is to correct factual errors whenever they appear. That is why when someone posts that Massachusetts residents of this state are somehow "stupider" than everyone else, I cite peer reviewed studies showing just the opposite. That is, in fact, the ONLY time I bring up the issue of state average IQ, in response to those who have brought it up first.

I'm forever bewildered by the people who post negative comments about Massachusetts who don't live here. I too used to travel extensively on business (don't any more, being retired), and I found there to be pockets of enlightenment all over this great land...Madison, Austin, Boulder, San Francisco, Princeton, etc. But I chose to move to the Boston area 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

My taxes went DOWN when I moved here from New Jersey, as did the level of state and local government corruption. Services are much better too, and I have met and befriended SO MANY extraordinary people.

Perhaps the Bible thumpers in middle America think we are a laughing stock for not giving a crap who chooses to marry whom in our fair state. But everyone I have met from overseas (and I deal with many) see Massachusetts as a beacon upon the dark bluffs of American ignorance. Lux mundi, luceat lux vestra in aeterna.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Heh...great bit of comic relief reading some of these posts. I also like seeing what some people's ideas of "reasons" are. Quite telling that very few of these "reasons" are backed up by coherent arguments or logic.

For instance, look at the most expensive cities in the U.S. (aside from Honolulu, which is on a remote island archipelago, thereby increasing the costs of everything): New York, San Francisco, Boston, D.C., etc. All of these cities have inherent problems like other cities, and yet people still want to live there. Why?

When people talk about changing, do they ever consider that their own standards can change, that the physical location might have little to do with their own satisfaction with their lives?? "Pursuit of happiness" is a uniquely American right, but it's only the right of "pursuit" that's granted...the rest is up to you.

Happy New Year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Weiss101. Show Weiss101's posts

Yeah, let's all head south to Dixie where the cost of living is dirt cheap.

Cheap over abundant real estate, plywood mcmansions, Ice House Beer, growing number of rednecks, hicks and retirees from the north, evangelicals poking their nose into your business, high edumaction, low education standards, sweltering weather, bugs, pollution, low wages, minimal culture, deep fried you name it, materialistic over accessorized women...

See ya! Good riddance!

I lived in Atlanta for 5 years - counted the days til my contract was up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MidWestLegal1. Show MidWestLegal1's posts

magma, why the hell do you care about what's going on in Massachusetts? You relocated, remember.

It sounds like your new home surrounds you with people and things that you like, enjoy it. Leave the comments for those who choose to live here.

I relocated to Massachusetts from Illinois several years ago and love it here. I like Illinois and my family is there, but the quality of life in MA is outstanding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

Oh good, Fox and Rush are bogus but USA Today is okay.

It`s simple, since 2004 Massachusetts has lost more people than any other state except NY. I don`t know why, you don`t know why, my guess is, nobody knows why. Is it high-cost of living? Housing? Jobs?,......probably all of the above. But, I would argue that those issues are the same in every state since 2004,....no?

So what is the reason? In my view it is the fact that since the early 1960`s the state has been (not simply controlled) hi-jacked by corrupt Democrats. I left after we voted for term limits and a 5% tax rate only to have the Dems tell us we were stupid and do exactly what they wanted. I do not want to make this a gay-marriage thread and I don`t care who sleeps with who,.....but 180,000 signatures ignored? Ms. Murray not allowing the issue to be debated or landing on a ballot?

To me these are the reasons people leave. With all the amenities Mass has to offer, why else would people leave?

It is "expensive" everywhere.[/Quote]

Are you kidding? Most people have no idea about politics. Most people aren't up on the things you brought up. I am willing to bet if you stood in downtown Boston at 5:00 pm on a workday and asked a good majority what their thoughts were on the issue about the 180,000 signatures being ignored you'd get a LOT of blank stares. People leaving has NOTHING to do with politics since everyone is aware that most if not all state govts are corrupt. Do you actually think MA is the ONLY corrupt govt??? Please.
    And if it had to do with corrupt politics as you say, then why hasn't Boston been losing people in droves since the 1960s, since that, according to you, is when the state had been hi-jacked by corrupt Democrats???
    The cost of living is more expensive in places like Boston and NY....any coincidence those are the two areas losing the most people???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MidWestLegal1. Show MidWestLegal1's posts

[Quote]

I still have a vacation home in Mass and pay ridiculous taxes. It has been for sale for 2 years without a nibble. The price has been lowered 3 times.

You went from the upstanding and honest politics of Ill to Mass?
    Good luck.[/Quote]

I have a vacation home on a beach on the east coast of Florida and pay ridiculous taxes there. The insurance is outragous, if you can even get coverage at all. Plus the property tax, sales tax, county tax, town tax make everything expensive. I purchased the property for $495,000 it was appraised in November at $325,000. You don't see such fluctuations in MA.

Honest politics? Is there such a thing? There are plenty of honest pols and dishonest pols to go around. I didn't move here for the political scene.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

As usual, we are taking positions based on anecdote rather than data. Here's some data. MA is 10th costliest in housing and food, but knocked out of the top ten when utilites, transportation and health care are considered.

California appears on all the lists, as does Hawaii, Alaska, and Washington DC. Otherwise, the top 10 most expensive places to live in the US are ALL in the northeast. None in the midwest, southwest, southeast, or mountain states.

ALL of the ten LEAST expensive places to live are in the southeast and midwest.

Top 10 States With The Lowest Cost of Living
    (based on Food, housing, Utilities, Transportation and Health care)
    1. Oklahoma
    2.Texas
    3.Tennessee
    4.Texas
    5.Nebraska
    6.South Dakota
    7.Missouri
    8.Kansas
    9.Georgia
    10.Mississippi

Top 10 States With The Highest Cost of Living
    (based on Food, housing, Utilities, Transportation and Health care)
    1.Hawaii
    2.California
    3.Washington D.C
    4.New Jersey
    5.Alaska
    6.Maryland
    7.New York
    8.Rhode Island
    9.Connecticut
    10.Vermont

Top 10 Most Expensive Housing Markets in the Nation
    1.Hawaii
    2.Washington D.C
    3.California
    4.New Jersey
    5.Maryland
    6.New York
    7.Connecticut
    8.Rhode Island
    9.Alaska
    10.Massachusetts

Top 10 states in cost of Food
    1.Hawaii
    2.Alaska
    3.California
    4.Rhode Island
    5.Connecticut
    6.Vermont
    7.New York
    8.Delaware
    9.NewJersey
    10.Massachusetts

http://www.costoflivingbystate.org/cost-of-living-by-state.html

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote][Quote]

Are you kidding? Most people have no idea about politics. Most people aren't up on the things you brought up. I am willing to bet if you stood in downtown Boston at 5:00 pm on a workday and asked a good majority what their thoughts were on the issue about the 180,000 signatures being ignored you'd get a LOT of blank stares. People leaving has NOTHING to do with politics since everyone is aware that most if not all state govts are corrupt. Do you actually think MA is the ONLY corrupt govt??? Please.
    And if it had to do with corrupt politics as you say, then why hasn't Boston been losing people in droves since the 1960s, since that, according to you, is when the state had been hi-jacked by corrupt Democrats???
    The cost of living is more expensive in places like Boston and NY....any coincidence those are the two areas losing the most people???

[/Quote]So the cost of living isn`t high in Florida, Illinois, California, the Southwest and the Southeast???? Puh-lease!!!
    Knowing that every state is expensive and most have good schools, arts, taxes, re-sale value, etc, the very first thing my family looked at when we moved was the politics of the state we chose. If you think for one second that the "politics of Massachusetts" are not known and known well, then I have a bridge to sell you.[/Quote]

You're right...MA is the only state with corrupt politician....sigh

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

Good info monster,............so why are people fleeing MA specifically?Could it be the "Ultra-Liberal" stigma?[/Quote]

I am willing to bet my life that people aren't leaving MA because of a concern of the "ultra-liberal" stigma. I'm hoping you were kidding with that one

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

[Quote]

Good info monster,............so why are people fleeing MA specifically?Could it be the "Ultra-Liberal" stigma?[/Quote]

I don't know. I've seen no data, just anecdotes. It's probably different people for different reasons, cost of living being one - there ARE, after all 41 states out there with lower housing prices.

I suspect some DO leave for cultural/political reasons. Want to be around people who share their values, fears, prejudices. I suspect Yankees fans wouldn't want to live here all else being equal, for example. It's nice to be a Red Sox fan in a place where you can be pretty sure everyone you meet is also a Red Sox fan (or at least apathetic), and I can imagine I would miss that if I were living in Queens. Likewise, I can safely assume everyone else I meet is also liberal, and I'd miss that in Alabama. But I can only speculate...would be nice to have some research.

Also, if you aren't highly educated, there may be better opportunities elsewhere. There's a lot of software, hi-tech, legal, finance, medical, etc. in Massachusetts, but comparatively less blue-collar stuff. And with relatively high housing prices, it's tough to be comfortable on a modest, non-professional income. Much easier in the South. But again, just speculation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I think I'll move to Oklahoma because it's just too liberal here in MA. I'm tired of being a "laughingstock" on Fox news. I just can't handle it anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from towgunner77. Show towgunner77's posts

This is a real interesting post – I’ve been force to consider the option. But, I live here; it’s my home it always has been and hopefully always will. So let’s be sentimental, sorry in advance, but on my way to Iraq by way of N. Carolina I looked at the Boston skyline as the plane took off. Many things could have been running through my head, but the only thing I kept thinking was “its worth fighting for.” Why? Because, this is my home. It’s your home too. I can’t fix the weather part, but you have to believe We can fix the politics! Massachusetts was the central starting point of the American Revolution! We are probably the best educated state in the country. Too many people write-off political change, I mean real change like ousting Kennedy, mumbles or Frank, as impossible. “It’s just the way things are…” Don’t believe in that! To believe in that goes against everything those early revolutionaries were fighting for – think about it everyday you are literally walking in the path of discontented colonists that said “we’re fed up!” if you think our very high taxes (your money) is being misappropriated or find it despicable that the corruption of the big dig will never be brought to justice, to name a few, then get with it. Put in for term limitations, campaign finance reform - protest, write, vote-down these career politicians let new blood in, just don’t loose hope. Of course, if you want to live in ignorance and are content with the illusion of freedom and democracy, then I guess you’ll do nothing. Last item, I’ve seen a lot of traffic in this forum and others, people are serious when they think the political system is failing them. Yes, Bush responsible for a lot of that, but like the financial crisis i.e. Madoff, the problem is systemic. That is, regardless of right or left, we’re all being pushed around and conned by a corrupt system. Example, out of every person in NY State, which is a pretty smart place, one of the only viable contenders is Caroline Kennedy? Put aside all politic in-fighting and think about that? Caroline Kennedy, can you say nepotism or oligarchy or elitism? Vote em out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

Be careful of a bet you can`t pay Dex,..........

My company wouldn`t move their headquarters to MA for that very reason.
    Well covered on this board (or the old BDC)[/Quote]

And here I thought we were talking about individuals and NOT companies that are concerned with perception as it could have an affect on busniess...not likely but heh I'm willing to give benefit of doubt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]"You're right...MA is the only state with corrupt politician....sigh"

With respect,.......I don`t think that`s what mag is saying. I think he/she is saying that Massachusetts politics are well known everywhere,.....like Illinois or like NY.[/Quote]

Go figure that places like Boston, NY, Chicago are well known versus hot beds like Iowa, S. Dakota, well you get the idea

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter147. Show dexter147's posts

[Quote]

Have you been reading the thread? "Top 10 reasons to leave Mass???"

How many have posted about the "Liberal" antics of MA???? 10, 12,15?

This is the EXACT reason we left, my brother, and my parents. It is the EXACT reason my house is for sale on the Cape. Three of my neighbors too. We are all looking in NC for the same neighborhood because we are fed-up with "ultra-liberal".

Are you friggin kidding? Are you paying up on the bet?[/Quote]

Just because someone threw that in as their reason...most because they were being cynical, doesn't mean it's so. Are you for real? I know many people who have moved from MA.....not one said it was because of politics. Of course these people were actually smart and realize there is corruption everywhere. So it would stupid for that to be a legit reason. Have a good day