1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

WBZ Night Talk Radio 12am-5am

Since Steve LeVeille retired they've been mixing it up instead of hiring a permanent replacement.

I hope they keep it this way, 5 nights in a row on the night shift is too much of a grind for 1 person (imo).   Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: WBZ Night Talk Radio 12am-5am

Morgan White is still on the air, huh? Wow. He's been around forever

What night? Friday?

PS Here is a trivia question for you, Robin:

Who is the sire of Morgan White Jr?:)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

edit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The exact answer I was going for was "Morgan White Sr", but I accept your response, Robin:)

Yeah, in the internet age, a radio trivia show seems a little impractical. The cheating must be rampant. Do they give out decent prizes?

I used to love listening to talk radio. Dont tune in anymore. I like it that you do though:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The prizes aren't that memorable, tickets to this or that, sometimes a sports event.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

As I recall the prizes way back when were nothing special either

Movie passes were about as good as it got, I think

PS I picture you listening in bed with the radio under your pillow like we used to do as kids:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Dean Johnson was on last night and will be on again tonight, I hope they continue to give him a couple of shifts a week,  I find his intellect and unbiased comments stimulating.

BTW: I have a nice Grundig and use the sleep button!

Cartoon of a Grandmother Knitting While Listening to a Radio Program clipart 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

I enjoy Morgan White Jr and have listened to him for years. Nice guy in person too.  Agree on Dean Johnson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In Response to Re: WBZ Night Talk Radio 12am-5am:
    Dean Johnson was on last night and will be on again tonight, I hope they continue to give him a couple of shifts a week,  I find his intellect and non-biased comments stimulating. BTW: I have a nice Grundig and use the sleep button!  
    Posted by Robin39

There is no set schedule for the midnight to 5 shift on 'BZ? Listeners never know for sure who'll be hosting from one night to the next?

Funny clipart by the way:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

edit

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Yeah, four or five hours a night, five nights a week, is a grind. I dont know how some of them do it really. Helps to have good guests and great interviewing skills, I suppose, but finding good guests during the overnight hours isnt be easy, I'm sure.That is where a good producer omes in:)

Do you remember Jerry? David? Gene?

You know who they are, right?:)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, I'm familiar with their names of course, but I really didn't pay much attention to talk radio till a couple of years ago, when you give up cable, you tend to explore other avenues for entertainment.  That is one of the reasons I come here!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I miss Brudnoy....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Morgan White Jr was on last night and he mentioned that only 3%-5% of listeners to talk radio actually call in (they've done the research).  I'm not sure if he meant just the night shift or in general.   I find this interesting and wonder if similar percentages apply to social networks, such as these forums, regarding the number of people that just read stuff,  as opposed to those that post/comment.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

edit

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bradley Jay and Morgan White Jr have been doing an excellent job covering the recent events!

What happened to Jen Brien? 

I hope Bradley is on tonight Smile

ETA: I spoke too soon, Jen is back, I guess she was out sick last week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

I miss Brudnoy....

David was awesome and not just on late night radio.  He was on channel 7 and did a live arts and entertainment section.  Tom Bergeron was not the only Boston media able to talk to stars live.  Anyone in Boston to promote a movie, book or political issue, stopped by channel seven at noon to sit down with David.

I had the pleasure to watch David interview actor John Cleese.  Cleese was known to do anything during an interview and was true to form with David.  David was awesome and the interview ran over.'

There was a time David was beating the terrible disease but it got the best of him.  Anyone in or around the pr business over the age of 30 and promoting a movie in Boston, still misses David Brudnoy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

My favorite is Bradley Jay  and Morgan White Jr, they both come running in to cover whenever there is a sick call, catastrophic weather or holidays!

I appreciate Dean Johnson and Todd Feinburg too...

I don't understand why these guys don't get more air time, especially BradleySmile

PS: I almost forgot Jordan Rich, he is perfect on the weekends!

@jackbu, I have heard wonderful things about David Brudnoy, but when he was popular, I was working a lot and didn't tune in often.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

HI Robin:

Yes, everyone loved David, he was Mr. Boston.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/jen-brien-named-overnight-host-on-wbz-newsradio-1030

I knew something was up when they kept giving her 3 nights.

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

I think the handwriting was on the wall when she got three nights.  I would bet that it all came down to the number of listeners -- which can't be many to begin with, judging by the number of callers as the nights wear on.  OK, it doesn't take much to figure this out.  I think one demographic she holds is the elderly mothers.  When they call in, they are totally hers, and sound like they want to adopt her.

Anyway, do any other participants here listen into the wee hours?  Increasingly, and the nearer it gets to 4, she is positively tweaking.  Stream of consciouness, boosted by coffee or something, that is just hard to follow.  She'll be going in one direction, hear herself say a word, and that will take her off in another direction, over and over.  I am a nightbird, and that's not a time when my ability to understand is on the downslope.  It's never been this way with Morgan White or Bradley Jay.

I suggest that WBZ has put all its eggs in one basket with this move.  I say this in part because she has an interesting history in broadcasting.  Google her and what comes up first is about her stints on other stations.  Perhaps she'll mellow with age, and settle into this as home.

Otherwise, I worry that with Morgan White zeroed out, they may have used up their goodwill with him, and with Bradley Jay only on on Sunday evenings, their only next step is to fold and contract with a syndicate, as they tried to do when they first fired Steve LaVielle.

(Only slightly off topic, they have to do something about that carrier that comes in from somewhere in the country.  I've called to bring it up to Mark Lovallo, and he acknowledges that it exists, "sometimes to 50%".  This alone is enough to lose many listeners for the wrong reason.  And, again, to lead to the final solution, a syndicated show of a completely different genre.)

Does anyone see the outlines of a strategic plan in all of this?  Maybe this is how the executives back out of something without another round of very public, embarrassing criticism.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Firewind, I think you are right, they'll just run the show into the ground and go "syndicated".

I have nothing against Jen...just that 5 nights is too much, I can't see how anyone would hold up well.

Toward the end, every time I tuned in it seemed like Steve LeVeille was talking about barbecue sauce or his cat!

I see what you mean about the motherly callers,  and how about the lonely truckers trying to give her advice, rescuers LOL   They all want to meet her, I think one guy even sent her a big teddy bear.

Jordan Rich is smart, he does the 2 nights, keeps it fresh and entertaining, plus he has a very nice voice.

I feel bad for Morgan, he has NO scheduled time.  And no mention of him either.

Bradley will be expected to cover for catastrophic weather and holidays I suppose.

What do you mean by a carrier...another station?   "sister station WCCO in Minneapolis"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Here is some history about WBZ, excerpt from   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBZ_(AM)

On December 31, 2008, WBZ let go overnight talk show host Steve LeVeille, sports anchor Tom Cuddy and Saturday night talk show hosts Lovell Dyett[97] and Pat Desmarais.[98] LeVeille was replaced by Jon Grayson (whose show originates from St. Louis sister station KMOX), while Dyett and Desmarais were replaced by the syndicated Kim Komando Show. After listener efforts were made to restore LeVeille and Dyett to the station, WBZ announced on January 27, 2009 that LeVeille would reassume his shift on February 2, while Dyett would host a half-hour early morning public affairs program on Sundays.[99] Cuddy would subsequently return to the station as well that May.[100] While Jordan Rich retained his weekend overnight show, the 2–5 a.m. portion of the program began to be simulcast on sister station WCCO in Minneapolis–Saint Paul. Long-time sports director Gil Santos retired after 38 years with the station on January 30, 2006; after a week-long fill-in by Bob Lobel,[101] Walt Perkins took over as morning sports anchor on February 7.[102] The Bruins once again left WBZ following the 2008-09 season, after CBS Radio launched a third incarnation of WBZ-FM at 98.5 FM as an all-sports station, which also took the Patriots from the former WBCN.[103] (The station simulcast WBZ-FM's broadcast of Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals between the Bruins and the Vancouver Canucks, allowing fans in areas of New England not served by a Bruins radio network affiliate to hear the game;[104] additionally, WBZ briefly carried Bruins games that conflict with WBZ-FM's Patriots broadcasts, a function that has since moved to WZLX.)

Ed Walsh retired after four years as morning news anchor on November 30, 2010;[105] Rod Fritz then took over as interim anchor (with Gary LaPierre guest anchoring for a week in early December),[106] with Joe Mathieu, formerly of Sirius XM Radio's P.O.T.U.S. channel, taking over on May 16, 2011.[107][108] The station added a monthly one-hour interview show hosted by Mathieu, WBZ Newswatch, on January 26, 2012.[109][110] Overnight host Steve LeVeille retired from WBZ on June 8, 2012;[111] after a year of rotating guest hosts that included Jennifer Brien, Morgan White Jr., Bradley Jay, and Dean Johnson, Brien was named the new host on June 25, 2013.[112]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Firewind, I think you are right, they'll just run the show into the ground and go "syndicated".

I have nothing against Jen...just that 5 nights is too much, I can't see how anyone would hold up well.

Toward the end, every time I tuned in it seemed like Steve LeVeille was talking about barbecue sauce or his cat!

I see what you mean about the motherly callers,  and how about the lonely truckers trying to give her advice, rescuers LOL   They all want to meet her, I think one guy even sent her a big teddy bear.

Jordan Rich is smart, he does the 2 nights, keeps it fresh and entertaining, plus he has a very nice voice.

I feel bad for Morgan, he has NO scheduled time.  And no mention of him either.

Bradley will be expected to cover for catastrophic weather and holidays I suppose.

What do you mean by a carrier...another station?   "sister station WCCO in Minneapolis"?

Robin, I meant to say above that I agree with you.  And here I think you're spot on - especially about the truckers.  But she does charm them, always asking what they're carrying, if they're allowed to say.

And, yes, the "carrier" is another station that likely comes on "skip".  Skip is when a distant station's strong signal bounces off the stratosphere and comes back down in a distant place (here).  Could be from California or New Mexico or wherever.  When a snippet is long enough, though no more then a couple of seconds, it's often fire & brimstone.  Used to happen on CB a lot, and sometimes on first responders' frequencies.  (I didn't do CB, but the tales are legion and legend about guys talking to people very far away before it faded out again.)  In this case, Mark Lovallo says it happens when a station doesn't turn its signal down at night when they naturally carry farther.  As I say, he's vague about what he can do about it with the FCC.  I digress.  Sorry.  (But am emboldened by others calling in to report it on the air.)

Oh, and the WCCO thing is something different -- Jordan Rich's thing at the weekends when they intentionally tie into WBZ via a feed of some sort.  But you know this.  In fact, probably all of the above.....

Sections
Shortcuts