1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Re: WBZ Night Talk Radio 12am-5am

Yup.  Awakened early and heard him.  Didn't catch what happened at midnight.  Was it planned or spontaneous?

Also, as he was getting no calls (OK, one) in the 3-4 am hour - until he brought up guns in the 4-5 hour - I wonder about something else.  In two parts: First, has Jen Brien so drawn down the audience that there's just hardly anyone listening anymore (if the number of calls somewhat indicates number of listeners)?  To be sure, she doesn't get nearly the number of calls that Bradley Jay or Morgan White do, normally.  Or (second) do very different people listen to Jen Brien than listen to Bradley Jay, and if he's not billed into the slot ahead of time, her audience just doesn't listen?  Then again, it may just have been the 3-4 hour on a Monday morning.  Imponderables, probably.

In any event, he's a good sport ... Seven hours, having to make it up as he goes along if no one calls.  If it was spontaneous again, it's pretty hard to plan for the last five hours.  Also, he's a good sport in another vein, IMO.  On the gun debate, he was respectful of both sides, even when he disagreed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bradley's voice must have had a calming effect on me, cause I slept through most of it.

I did hear some of the gun talk.  I doubt if the 7 hours was planned... but who knows?

He said "I'm Bradley Jay, in for Jen Brien" at around 12:30a.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I awoke about 4am, to hear a caller tell Morgan, that Jen was leaving because she is not getting paid as much as the guys, he mentioned a name, a male host I'm not familiar with?  Oh, and Morgan mentioned something about "short notice" again.

Not sure how accurate this info is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Is that "Uncle!" we hear?  So it's over?  They were actually talking about it?  And they were still talking about it in the fifth hour?  Mark Lovallo must have finally let the discussion get through.  DARN, I'm sorry I missed it!

How long could they keep a lid on it?  Now we know.  The latest version of the emperor having no clothes.  Everyone but WBZ could see it.  Or the bonfire of the vanities: Wonder if they can contain it to her, or whether the Program Director will - deservedly - find himself out on the curb.  "You got a hunch, and you bet a bunch."  But such seldom happens.  Look what didn't happen to him when he fired Steve LeVielle, or Conan O'Brien's patron at NBC.  Still, this is now two for Peter Casey.*

Pray hard that it doesn't give WBZ the excuse to go to syndication in the slot.

And pray for Jen Brien that she finds something she can do.  Fortunately for her, it seems to have happened before she pulled up stakes on the Cape and divested her dogs.  Maybe that was the pivot point for her. 

Peter Casey, WBZ NewsRadio News & Programming Director.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Like I said, I was half asleep...but we should hear more soon, if it's true.

I mean, could they have been talking about someone else?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Are there any other media personalities leaving their jobs?  Susan Wornick is retiring, but that's a real retirement, announced ahead and feted all over the place.  Awfully late in her career to be hassling about pay.  Otherwise...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Susan Wornick is retiring?  I don't believe it.  I always think of the blizzard of 78 when I see her, lol.

She was on the top of the heap back then, her husband (at the time) Bob Lobel was too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

12:07 am:  "This is the Jen Brien show.  Jen's off tonight.  She was off last night.  Nothing to be concerned about.  She's feeling a little under the weather.  Hopefully she'll be back tomorrow.  I'm Morgan White, sitting in again for Jen.  I'm pleased to have Dan Rea agree to spend the first hour with me to discuss the election and other things.  Dan, welcome, and thank you..."  They're playing her theme, but they've pulled her "Bad. Good. Forgiveness. These things aren't easy..."

Paging Jimmy the Greek.  (For odds on whether she's coming in or not -- as a regular thing, not just tomorrow morning.  And if she's not, the line on who will be sitting in.)

Anyway, I anticipated that if she weren't in, it would be Bradley Jay, to alternate with Morgan White, and even it out.  But doing that seven hours overnight Sunday-Monday without any notice had to take something out of him.  

Morgan White just said he "...got the call two hours before going on".

And seriously, paging Dean Johnson to go back into the rotation -- not that I'm partial to him, but rather because mixing it up seems to be the optimum.  Even including Jen Brien.  Did I just say that?  But if she's out now, it ain't gonna happen. 

Just please keep it local, and please make it a regular, predictable rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I woke up when Morgan was doing the trivia (sigh).  They are still calling it the Jen Brien Show.

I agree, a rotation with all of them, including Jen, would be the best case scenario.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Morgan White.  Check.  But they're still playing her song.

4:27 ... He's already naming the guests who will be joining him tonight.

Good for him that it's more than two hours' advance notice.

4:49 ... Guess who's stopping by?  Hint: Joe Mathieu.  Just like old times.  "Nice to see you again.  You're going to be here tomorrow at this time?  Well, then I'll see you tomorrow."

Then, separately, before signing off, Morgan White briefly said that it's unusual, lately, to get this kind of advance notice, so he hopes to put together a better show than usual.  He also thanked this week's guests for coming in, even when he called them as late as 15 minutes before the show started.

Does Peter Casey get it?  Can he swallow his pride and say so?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I lost count how many times Morgan said "This is the Jen Brien Show" I'm filling in.

Time will tell, I hope we hear Bradley next week, if Jen isn't back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Moreover, it's more of a statement that he comes back to greet Morgan White, when Jen Brien might be back.  Or, maybe it's a signal that she won't be.  We'll know when it's all history.

So Thursday morning, there was chit chat with Joe Mathieu for a few minutes before Morgan White signed off.  And tonight there was a few minutes of chit chat with Dan Rea before the midnight news. . .

Morgan has quite a range of guests tonight, from the Phantom Gourmet to Paul Peterson, who was on the Donna Reed show.  ETA 1: It's a neat thing that Paul Peterson is doing - "A Minor Consideration" - an organization whose mission is to combat the Jon Benet Ramsey kind of stuff, and advocate on behalf of child stars. He was cheering France, which just passed a law to fight the Jon Benet Ramsey kind of stuff.

ETA 2: Another "moreover" - when Morgan has a guest on, it's about the guest, not him.

1:07 - "I'm really hoping, I'm crossing my fingers, that Jen Brien will be back for the Sunday-overnight-Monday show."  Is that a basis for laying odds?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Slept through the whole show again, I seem to do that when the boys are on...even though I want to listen to them! Although I did hear Morgan thanking everyone.   "Bye Boston"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Maybe Jen Brien and WBZ will mold that into their cover(up), but Bradley Jay and Morgan White didn't get that message in the event.  Wouldn't they have said it if they had been given even the remotest basis?  All they got, and shared with listeners, was uncertainty, which they've handled deftly and with class this week.  It took a lot to hit the sweet spot and hold to it for the whole week.  Which included parrying the occasional caller's comment when it veered closer than, "I'm really glad that you're on tonight".  The closest Morgan White came to giving the color to the (sparse) play-by-play was, when he was talking about "the overnight team" once, saying, "...and I am tiptoeing around this, right now..."  Once again saying everything without officially saying anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/06/a-different-kind-of-gift/

Jordan Rich will have a special guest on tonight to discuss therapy dogs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

She's ba-ack.

ETA:

"Took some time off for reasons that -- are known to me.  And that's that."

Then she really came down on rumors and blogs.  Doesn't read them.  "If I don't say anything, there's nothing to say."  And, related, will be talking in the latter part of the show about the value of disconnecting from the internet (and TV).

"Kerry will be coming in around 4:15.  Some people like what we do.  Some don't..."  (How would she know?)  And, very confidently, "Joe Mathieu will be coming in at 4:45-4:50".  Maybe he got the memo that he would be coming in then?

"Thank you, Morgan and Bradley," and very complimentary of Morgan White.

And all kinds of talking around the elephant in the room.  "I put too much faith in people."

4:49 - Joe Mathieu's in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I listened off and on from 12:30a, missed the excuse about her absence.

Caught some of the negative internet/blog talk, got the impression that she feels victimized by it.

Yeah, on and on about how wonderful Morgan is, but only mentioned Bradley (who did the 7 hours!) in passing. 

I missed Joe Mathieu, he really did stop by? 

Bizarro...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Bizarro...

Indeed.

I am flat surprised tonight.  Didn't tune in earlier because I swallowed Jen Brien's assertiveness last night, hook line and sinker, and just assumed she was being honest that she was feeling great, and was going to be in every night this week.  Then I flipped on the news, and whose mellifluous voice - and substance - followed it?

Morgan White, Jr. - lamenting that he couldn't get any guests this time.  "Here's a little behind the scenes..."  Yes? Yes?!  "When I got the call this time, I was sound asleep."  [ETA, later this morning while chatting with Kerry Connolly: "...at 12:09 am..."]  That.Must.Have.Been.Awkward.  Not just at Morgan White's end, but what was going on on the air after midnight when they discovered that it was Plan B again?  Another one I'm sorry I missed.

At this point, someone, perhaps a member of some other local media independent of Peter Casey and WBZ, ought to step up and say that the public deserves an explanation.  It probably ought to include the benefit of the doubt.  Does she have some life-threatening disease?  Problem pregnancy?  Whatever gets her tweaking like a moth in the house at night during the fifth hour?  Did Joe Mathieu's attitude change because he knows something?  At this point, master the possibilities.

The elephant is still in the room.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The conversation between Morgan and Kerry is funny, there is definitely an elephant in the room.

I read over at that Media Confidential blog that Dan Rea stayed for the 12a-1a hour.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

The conversation between Morgan and Kerry is funny, there is definitely an elephant in the room.

I read over at that Media Confidential blog that Dan Rea stayed till for the 12a-1a hour.

Ahhh, that answers the question I had above in my "ETA".  Thank you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

4:53 - Nikki:  "Can't we get you on full-time?"  

Morgan White:  "Well, I'll say this, and I know management is listening, and I may be slitting my own throat, but I think I'm more valuable to them as fill-in, that I'll come in with short - no - NO notice as I did this morning.  Dan Rea covered for Jen Brien for the hour after his shift.  I covered for Jen when I got here at 10 minutes to 1 ... Thanks to Dan and all of you who helped make this work ..." 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I caught that....it's hard to be a per diem worker,   I wonder if they called Bradley?

It must be some kind of medical leave thing, I hope she gets a handle on it soon, whatever it is.

PS: Oh, I forgot, Bradley is out of the area on one of his road trips.  Flying to Seattle, then a train ride, Seattle to LA?  I think that's what he said.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

One of his road trips.  Flying to Seattle, then a train ride, Seattle to LA?  I think that's what he said.

Yup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, Bradley was very happy that he was able to book direct air flights, first to Seattle and then from LA back to Boston.

I bet he's glad he got out of Dodge this week :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Morgan White, Jr., with guests lined up.

They're still calling it the Jen Brien Show.

A caller in the first hour, after the main part of his call: "I want to ask you something.  Maybe you don't want to answer..."  Morgan White: "Then why are you going to do this to me?"  The caller: "Is Jen Brien just off tonight?  Is she gone?  I enjoy her show.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy you too.  I'm just wondering what's going on."  Morgan White: "Jen.is.off.tonight." [Periods just to indicate staccato.]  Caller: "OK."

1:08 - Morgan White, starting the new hour: "This is the Jen Brien Show.  Jen is off tonight.  Don't worry about it."  And he went directly into his subject with the hour's guest, one of the original Mouseketeers, "Johnny" (also the son in The Rifleman).

Callers are getting more and more bold during trivia, and Morgan White is having to fight harder.  To one caller: "N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N..."