1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Re: WBZ Night Talk Radio 12am-5am

Ditto to all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

2:18 - 

Caller leads off:  "Bradley.  It looks like you've got the permanent job.  Is that true?"

Bradley Jay:  "I-I-III can't comment."

Caller: "OK.  Well, I hope it's true."

Bradley Jay:  "Thank you.  Thank you very much."

I am surprised that the caller got it out, especially as his opener, without producer Mark Lovalo cutting it off as if there were a connection problem.

What to make of it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Boy -The Powers That Be- really like to dangle the carrot, don't they?

Bradley to callers, "Okay I'm going to share another story about myself with you, at this rate I hope I don't run out of stories in about a month."  (words may not be exact)

So, I would guess that Bradley is assuming he will continue to have full time hours, and Morgan will have to wait till someone needs a day off to come in...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Ditto.

Maybe it means Bradley Jay - and The Powers That Be - are promised a month of Bradley.  Then everyone either gets a month of Morgan White, or they confirm Jay Talking Redux?  All the time The Powers That Be are watching Arbitron.  "The Powers That Be" rather than just Peter Casey because he must be hanging out there, too, after all this, even if he has other props at WBZ.  

A month would be a reasonable basis for a decision, and give the guy(s) a chance to stay on one schedule for a while, (for each) to give it his best shot.  And all of this might be a way to quiet the waters all around.

It's not belaboring the point to say again that WBZ is very lucky to have these two, whatever kind of candidacy they've maneuvered them into.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I agree.

Ps: I had to look up "redux".  I kept thinking of the weight loss drug, by the same name.

Didn't know about Arbitron, I wondered how they monitored these things.

8pm  Bradley Jay is covering for Dan this evening, who will be on at midnight, Morgan?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Interesting and curious.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to call up Morgan White?  Or, more in line with Dan Rea ideologically, Todd Feinburg.  It would have been simpler and more considerate to keep Bradley Jay on his schedule.  Has Bradley given an explanation tonight?  OK, they're all pretty constrained about discussing suchlike, sometimes not even saying a thing.  

Benefit of the doubt: Maybe it has most to do with everyone's prior commitments.  Cynical possibility: It's to keep everyone off balance.  If it's not a third reason altogether, the first explanation is plausible and preferable -- e.g., "stuff happens".  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

RockinRobin39 scorrres:  Morgan White!  A little surprising that he didn't stop in early for a little chit-chat.  Could have been a little rushed pulling together his guests.

12:10 - "...I found out rather early that I was coming in today, about mid-afternoon..."  And also comes his favorite baseball (memorabilia) guest on equally short notice.

Morgan has quite a hat to reach into.

1:47 - "For those joining us who expect to hear Bradley Jay, I am Morgan White, sitting in.  Bradley Jay is not here because he sat in for Dan Rea, and he can't be in two places ... Though that happened a couple of times, heh, heh.  And I have my guest..."  The "heh, heh" didn't have an edge to it; it sort of slipped out.

2:08 - "...And speaking of filling in, I will be filling in for Jordan Rich the overnights of November 15th and 16th.  Jordan's daughter will be getting married ... in Washington, DC, I think, but I'm not certain."  That's going to be more and more of a heart tug if it comes up these next two weekends.  Bitter sweet.  (Words not in " " are mine.) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

That's what on call/per diem is like, they can change your shift or cancel you on short notice. 

A caller asked Bradley why he was on last evening, he said:  "I just do what they tell me."

Dan needed the night off on short notice.  Maybe they gave Bradley a choice.  I bet Morgan couldn't do 8-12 because he was at a trivia gig or private event.

I slept through most of the show, I think the guys have soothing voices, especially Jordan.

That other one (name begins with J) would keep me up, but not in a good way.

Bradley encouraged listeners to drink a couple of cups of coffee at bedtime so they could  stay up longer and catch more of the night show!   He said he would make it worth their while.

I like Todd, I think they may have him penciled in for the Sunday 10p-12a slot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bradley has agreed to fill in for Dan this evening 8p-10p.

Overexposure alert!  

Bradley should take a tip from Morgan and Jordan (re: show biz) and

"Always leave them wanting more."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Bradley has agreed to fill in for Dan this evening 8p-10p.

Overexposure alert!  

Bradley should take a tip from Morgan and Jordan (re: show biz) and

"Always leave them wanting more."

...Wisdom here.

Plus, this work is subject to so many fatigue opportunities.  Voice.  Other physical.  Circadian.  Mental.  Creativity.  Memory.  Temper.  Each night.  Long term.  Compounded by changing shifts. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

[/QUOTE]

...Wisdom here.

Plus, this work is subject to so many fatigue opportunities.  Voice.  Other physical.  Circadian.  Mental.  Creativity.  Memory.  Temper.  Each night.  Long term.  Compounded by changing shifts. 

[/QUOTE]

Potential for Burnout.

PS: The reviews for Bradley are coming in... http://radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?655977-More-Bradley-Jay-On-WBZ-1030&highlight=brien 

Eta: The above link is no longer valid.

Effective immediately RadioDiscussions and RadioDiscussions.com is ceasing operation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Thank you for this link.  Just when it seems that there's a new status quo, Dean Johnson is worked back into the overall mix.  A Sunday 10-12 ante, anyway.  Can Pat Desmarais be far behind?  (Please, not Bob Lobel.)  Again, WBZ is very fortunate to have this "stable".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bradley is still going strong!  Plenty of callers, even in the 4a-5a dead zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

New news?  (I just tuned in.) 

2:45 Morgan White (filling in for Jordan Rich right now):  "I'm filling in for Jordan Rich.  I'll be doing my own show tomorrow night from 10 until midnight, and then filling in for Jordan again overnight.  That's how it's been going around here."  [Emphasis mine.]

Did Morgan White elaborate earlier?  Hope to hear more.

ETA:

2:56 Morgan White to his guest:  "Thank you for joining us... Since I'm going to have my own shift, I know I'm going to have you back often."

Giving him the Saturday 10-12 slot would signal a turn away from syndicating.  For that slot, anyway.  Hopefully.

ETA:

3:06 Several trivia callers:  "Congratulations."  

Morgan:  "Thank you."

Caller:  "Why are people saying, 'congratulations'?"  

Morgan: "I am going to have my own show, The Morgan Show, from 10 to midnight on Saturday nights.  We're going to play the new open to the new Morgan Show."  

Which producer Casey (first name - not Peter Casey) did.

Cool.  [Emphasis mine.]

3:24 Caller:  "...While I've got you, whatever happened to Jen Brien? I thought she had a pretty good show."

Morgan: "I have no idea, because I'm not in WBZ management."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

So now, will another shoe drop re the Sunday 10-12 slot?  And, thus, will there also be an announcement that the weeknight overnight show will become Jay Talking?  

And, big picture, maybe things might be falling into place in a good way?  Maybe we'll know by the end of this weekend. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Saturday?   That means we will still have the canned Kim Komando show?

I wish they would get rid of the snake oil informercials.

Morgan loves saying "The Morgan Show"  It's about time!

Curious about Sunday....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

+1 to eradicating the snake oil infomercials.

To ask another early question, based on little, who will fill in for Morgan White?  Or for Bradley Jay?  Wonder if Morgan will still be Bradley Jay's and Jordan Rich's backup.  (OK, Morgan's filled in for Jordan Rich this weekend, but this could just be a sort of a coincidence as he was already scheduled to fill in before he was given his own show.)  As a listener, I hope so, but since Morgan is 60, it could be tough for someone that age to be bouncing around that much.

So far, so good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

First guest:  Joe Mathieu (full.of.praise).

Cool.

10:45 Joe Mathieu:  "I hope listeners realize what we have here.  We have a great radio show with an incredible veteran broadcaster and host." He could not have said it with more emphasis enthusiasm.

10:50  Joe Mathieu:  "If this show is successful, in six months, I predict that CBS will pick up the Morgan show music theme."

10:57 Morgan White to a caller:  "I expect that Bradley Jay will take another train trip before the end of the year.  If he does, and I fill in, I will invite you in on one of those nights to see what goes on here in the middle of the night."  (She had said she was fascinated and curious about what goes on at WBZ.)  Well, that answers one question (re Morgan White continuing to fill in).   Maybe two?

Joe Mathieu just kept up the profuse praise.  

Contrast all of this with his absence at 4:45 a couple of months ago. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The profuse praise, I think was embarrasing after a while, it would be if it was me.  After all, they gave him a 2 hour show after 17 years of loyalty to WBZ. 

But, it is something!

Hopefully it will lead to some more guaranteed hours.

So, he'll still be looking to fill in.   Maybe we'll hear Todd, Pat, and Dean occasionally too.

That on call stuff is rough, it's hard to make plans, and they have secured Morgan's Saturdays....He might lose some of those  private party gigs he books.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Good point about the 17 years context.  Seventeen years?!  Morgan White does display the organization memory going back a ways.  But 17 years?  Wow.

Will the big question be answered at midnight tonight -- maybe even by 10pm?  Morgan White (and Joe Mathieu, but Morgan did it for hours) fended off questions about whether everything is finally settled.  They pretended ignorance about anything but the here and now.  Though Joe's guest appearance indicated some advance knowledge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Still no full time announcement for Bradley.

Maybe they are going to do an employee performance evaluation after 90 days Undecided

Bradley mentioned he was thinking about using some vacation time, so, he must be getting benefits.

Around 4:30a Bradley was talking to a caller, an older guy, about women and muscle cars.

All of a sudden, this caller says: "What ever happened to that woman that was on?

She's really something, is she on vacation?"  (words may not be exact)

Bradley quickly ended the call and mumbled "Yeah, vacation", changed the subject and took another call right away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

BTW:  It bothers me that Dan had this guy on as a guest last week, and now has posted some pics of his humble abode.  
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/11/15/nightside-jim-in-the-swamp-checks-in/

It doesn't feel right to me.   I dunno...

Maybe the guy needs some, umm, counseling?  Just speculating, of course, he might be in better shape than a lot of us  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Hm.  Sort of a modern example of putting the bizarre on parade.  When you see Dan Rae in the left margin as "Reporting Dan Rae," you're reminded that this is cast as journalism (not editorial).  But with him, there's always a heavy normative aspect.  Wonder what his point is - look at the weirdo?  He'd probably like to meet my cat lady friend...  Anyway, whatever his purpose, someone at WBZ had to agree to/with it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Bradley Jay is covering for Dan Rea on Thanksgiving 8p-12a, Morgan White Jr is filling in for Bradley Jay 11/29, 12a-5a, the night shift following Thanksgiving.

I can always count on these two to be around for the Holidays :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can always count on these two to be around :)

[/QUOTE]

...Period.  If I may be so rude as to finish your sentence.

Sections
Shortcuts