Weather causing a slow commute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msksatish. Show msksatish's posts

Re: Weather causing a slow commute?

My 20 mts commute from Concord MA to Burlington MA took 1 1/2 hour today, 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downhomer. Show downhomer's posts

I took the commuter rail as usual, then decided to treat myself to a cab ride the rest of the way home instead of slipping and sliding to the bus stop and waiting for who knows how long. Well, the cab company put me on hold for ten minutes before telling me it would be 15–20 minutes; it was almost an hour before the cab showed up! Thank God for Dunkin's giving me a warm, dry place to wait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hojo2086. Show Hojo2086's posts

Took the commuter rail.  Got in the door on time.  Only fools drive into Boston with this weather. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rugosa. Show rugosa's posts

I was at Barnes and Noble at the North Shore Shopping Center. An hour and a half to get onto 128.

And sorry, but the commuter rail doesn't go to the shopping center.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmgriggs. Show jmgriggs's posts

Harvard Sq, 4:30 -5:07 waiting for #77 bus. Arrived at Washburn Av in N.Cambridge (2 miles) at 6:15.  Ridiculous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aldm31. Show aldm31's posts

2.5 hours from Dorchester to North Attleboro. (normally 45 minutes)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjb0688. Show jjb0688's posts

My commute is normally 50 minutes.  It took me more than three hours tonight.  Mostly because people around here have NO idea how to drive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Hopefully you all made it home safely. Commute time in Central Mass was unaffected by the storm for a change. But I have to say, even though I am sure the roads were slick in the Boston/coastal areas, that typically once you go west of 495 you are on your own in a storm. You hope that the thousands of drivers around you know how to drive cautiously in snow/ice. You hope the roads have been treated. You hope you will make it home alive. If you have the ability to work remotely, get outta there around noon, get home and be logged on with phone in hand by 1:00 'ish. Otherwise you will be trapped on the antiquated highways in eastern MA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HuWang. Show HuWang's posts

Seriously poor road management today. Cmon! Awful. 2 hour commute!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizzo. Show lizzo's posts

THREE HOURS to get from Cambridge to Concord, NH area starting out around 8 pm.  Nightmare.  Concord has virtually no snow, so most of the delay was from further south.  It would normally take an hour and a half or so.  Given the time, it was also due to snow and not due to traffic.  It was as if the roads hadn't been plowed or sanded at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arntzville. Show arntzville's posts

HAS THE WORLD GONE CRAZY???!!!

- Walter Sobchak

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimlin. Show jimlin's posts

3+ hrs from Back Bay to Newburyport on a commuter bus. Stop and go started on the Tobin, all the way up to the Rt1/95N split in Danvers, and 95 wasn't much better. Hopefully with the commuters off the road they can sand and salt so morning isn't bad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jim501. Show jim501's posts

I left work at 5:30 on Comm. Ave.  In 45 minutes I had gone about 50 feet. I parked again, got myself a big plate of Thai food, went back to my office, ate, played chess online, read the paper, then got to some work issues until about 8:00.  Then left again and zipped home in no time at all. Cozied up with my honey and a beer, Monday night football, and life is still good!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crispybacon. Show crispybacon's posts

It's glaringly obvious thaat if there ever was a real emergency we would be in deep doo doo between the roads and the drivers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

2 hours and 48 minutes from Harvard Square to Hanover Mall...The South Shore got hammered and obviously,  no one was prepared.  Route 3 was a disaster
    Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjoneil. Show sjoneil's posts

2.5 hours from Cambridge to Pembroke.  45 minutes from Rockland alone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

1/2-hour to go 5-miles on sanded and salted almost bare back roads.  If you can't drive in snow... STAY OFF THE &^$T* ROADS!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cobbesse. Show cobbesse's posts

It stunk. It took me 2 hours to go from Stoughton Center to rt. 128
    2 lousy inches of snow and everyone forgets how their car operates.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebe. Show sebe's posts

Got home exactly on time. Public transportation wins!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

seems like the first snow, especially when it happens during the day freaks everyone out. i took the back roads and got home in reasonable time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Commuter rail to Mansfield, crowded, but not late.  Getting out of the parking lot took a while, but only an extra 10 minutes.  This morning was a little hairier--side roads barely treated, lots of blowing snow.  Yes, that was me crawling down the road in front of you.  Sorry, I have this thing about being able to see the road.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickterp. Show rickterp's posts

It was really ugly heading North on 128 between Westwood and Route 2, but the traffic heading South looked much much worse.  Just a few inches of snow, so it makes little sense, except this was the annual "first snow" phenomenon: drivers aren't used to driving in the snow and just enough of them panic when they see a few flakes on the road that everything slows down as a result.  Next snow that hits during the commute won't be nearly this bad unless it's a really heavy amount -- everyone now has the experience of driving in the snow again and won't panic so much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from consmythe1. Show consmythe1's posts

Left at 3:15pm from Quincy center took about 20 minutes to get to Weymouth using back roads. The hill on Franklin Street in Quincy was closed but was able to get around it with no problems.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rshelly. Show rshelly's posts

I checked traffic at Boston.com before I left the office and it indicated the MassPike was up to speed!!!........what a useless report. It was a parking lot.

Sections
Shortcuts