Weather causing a slow commute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhall. Show dhall's posts

Re: Weather causing a slow commute?

we live in NE the first snow storm is alway a bleep show. my hour commute turned into 2 hours. no big deal, slow down and delays over a 35 mile commute will do that. the worst part was walking home down city side walks... slipping way more than any highway...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gumby1948. Show gumby1948's posts

driving was horrible I left from Wa;tham at 2:30 and immediately drove on ice slicked roads
    what i saw was the problem of quick snow melt followed by immediate ice on all roadways
    it happened quickly and the only way to treat the surface would have been by helicopter
    any accident quickly bottlenecked into gridlock, looks worse in western US and Europe, how long till May?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sigma380. Show sigma380's posts

90 minutes for 11.2 miles from wilmington to peabody

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchgal. Show marchgal's posts

My normal 20 minute commute turned into 1 1/2 hours...10 miles an hour all the way...reminds me why I don't like winter!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aabbccddeeffgg. Show aabbccddeeffgg's posts

Morning commute: 55 minutes
    Afternoon commute: FOUR HOURS
    I did not see any accidents.  I saw some cars off in the breakdown lane, but that was it.  All I saw were red tail lights all afternoon and evening.  Why?  Because someone forgot to sand 128N in the Danvers area, so traffic was a parking lot from Needham to Gloucester.  Hardly any snow in the Needham to Reading stretch.  The roads were clear.  Just backed up traffic for miles going no where.  What a mess and waste of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymac16. Show dannymac16's posts

More people on the commuter rail into Boston because of the roads. You would think they would prepare for such instances by adding an extra car or two to have room for everyone. Instead we end up standing, packed like sardines on a red line train.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from barrelchest. Show barrelchest's posts

Moved to the city awhile back to avoid the commute - I walked home :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vitzy. Show vitzy's posts

Hitting your brakes at every freakin snowflake??? Seriously, if you don't do well driving in the snow then stay home or take the T but PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROADS.

Took forever to get home and to work this morning due to people hitting brakes for no good reason. I cringe at the thought of us gettign a real storm, getting home may take 3-4 days with the drivers here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippy. Show zippy's posts

Left Burlington at 4pm and arrived in Newburyport 2 hours and 50 minutes later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Penguin762. Show Penguin762's posts

Copley to South Boston on the Bus - 1.5 hours.  I should have walked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmcp73. Show tmcp73's posts

Boston to Springfield in 2.5 hours last night.  Left downtown Boston at 4:15pm.  Judging from some of the other posts, I guess I should count myself on the lucky side... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dukefrukem. Show Dukefrukem's posts

75 minutes to go 45 miles. (Westford to Franklin); usually takes 45 minutes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

An hour and a half from the Allston-Brighton tolls to Route 30 going west last night on the Pike.  Add to that the IDIOT typing on an iPad or laptop in the lane next to me while still trying to drive and it was just so delightful.  It's New England, people, it snows.  How do you forget how to drive just because of some precipitation?  And it wasn't even bad going west!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from defkon4. Show defkon4's posts

Hour plus from Dorchester to Cambridge via 93N and the Pike at 4:30 pm last night, though the majority of the delay was spent at the god-awful Morrissey Blvd/UMass rotary.  Once on 93N, I took the off ramp exit that links you up with the Pike going west.  Was probably driving a bit too fast, but as I descended the off ramp, my car started to slide and fishtailed a good 120 degrees.  Front fender clipped the concrete barrier, taking a nice foot long chunk of paint out of it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrBostonia. Show MrBostonia's posts

I driveabout 4 miles on the back roads of Lexington and Woburn to get home to Winchester each day, it usually takes about 8-10 minutes. 

Traffic off I-95, poorly plowed streets, and congestion from the malls in the area led my usual 8 minute drive, into a 45 minute drive yesterday!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottroy128. Show scottroy128's posts

I was so mad this morning. It took me 7 minutes rather than my usual 5 minutes to walk to work because of the slush on the sidewalks. Guess I will go buy some new boots when I get out.  It's storms like this that make me glad that I pay a premium to live in the city. My commute is always the same. Multiply that time savings by your hourly rate over the course of a year and see what it comes out to be. Priceless.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from drs1. Show drs1's posts

Bed to kitchen table in about 1 minute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cashmeila. Show cashmeila's posts

Packards Corner to East Arlington took 2 hours. The majority of that was spent in barely moving traffic from Harvard to Porter Squares. Once I got through the 2 traffic lights in Porter there was a vast improvement. Snow certainly played a part, but it seems like the poor timing of those 2 lights was a huge factor in the back up on Mass Ave.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonmommy23. Show Bostonmommy23's posts

Took me almost 2 hours but that didn't even bother me......wasn't until my side mirror was clipped by a passing highway plow that I lost my mind.  Dude just kept on going too.  Didn't even realize he hit me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BumonBeach. Show BumonBeach's posts

Boyfriend works in Wellesley and we live in Plymouth, 1 hour commute with no traffic, usually 1 1/2 hours with traffic... took him 4 hours to get home, he left at 5:15 and walked in the house at 9pm...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from c1josh. Show c1josh's posts

How is it that all the streets of Boston went UNSALTED for hours? The snow had been falling on the South Shore all day, and what happened to the DPW? Did someone forget to call them?

Hello, Mr. Mayor?... Was anyone aware that AN INCH OF SNOW WILL SHUT DOWN YOUR CITY?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSageJohnLocke. Show TheSageJohnLocke's posts

The reason the roads were so bad isn't because people here forgot how to drive in the snow or that we're weak.

The roads were bad because it was the first storm of the season. The first storm is always the most dangerous because the ground is still relatively warm, so the weight of the car creates its own ice skating rink. You don't get this effect after Christmas when the ground is colder.

Also, since it is the first storm, you don't have much salt and sand from prior treatments to get a head start. 

And yes, some people are out of practice from last year. 

When you combine all three, first storm prior to Xmas on warm ground, no prior treatment, and first storm for drivers, you get a real mess. Drivers need their playoff skills developed over all of last season to have any chance of handling the first storm on warm pavement, and that won't happen.

The same exact storm two weeks from now will not cause even half the problems, but that won't be because people had practice with this one. It will be less of a problem because it will fall on a colder ground thus removing the ice skating effect of warm ground, and it will be because salt and sand left over from this event will give a head start to the next one.

The first storm of the year is nearly EXACTLY like a storm in the South that they aren't prepared for and you can expect the same effect, which you saw yesterday. 

That said, being the first storm of the year and knowing that it would lap at us all day, the stupid DPW should have been pre-treating the roads! Especially because it is the first storm of the year and especially because the roads are warm! This scenario is exactly why the DPW should have been pre-treating where they might not for the same exact storm two weeks from now....

Someone at the DPW needs to smarten up! You over-treat and pre-treat the first storm if you don't want everyone driving off the roads like they live in Carolina!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from _hoss. Show _hoss's posts

Wicked bad

This is what we're dealing with, folks:

"Re: Weather causing a slow commute?
    posted at 12/21/2010  7:34 AM EST

Typical Bostonian:  "It was wicked bad out there.  First, I walked outside to discover that my car was covered with 1.5" of snow.  I had to use Mumsy's credit card to scrape the windshield because you know I totally haven't taken my beach bag out of the trunk and put in my winter stuff yet.  Then while driving, I had to have the wipers AND the defrost going!!!!  4 miles later, I was fogged in like Menino's glasses.  Between the flurries and the brakelights, I couldn't even keep a good grip on my Dunk's reguulah and update my status on FB.  Unreal.  Isn't it like too soon for January snow?  Shouldn't we like get an early dismissal from work or something?  I'm telling you, it was brutal.  I'm about as pleased with my commute last night as my friends Fitzy and Sully are with the job "The Claude" Julien is doin' wit da B's...." 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrissyV. Show KrissyV's posts

Commute from LMA to Brighton center - usually 25-35 minutes on the 65 bus.

Yesterday - 3.5 hours door to door. I waited for a 65 at Brookline and Longwood for an hour and 10 minutes but no bus even came by. I then ended up taking a 65 inbound to Kenmore to take a 57 outbound to Brighton! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laceyq. Show laceyq's posts

Could not believe that every town I drove through I did not see one sander.  Did not expect any plows, but definitely expected some kind of sanders on the main roads.  The cities and towns definitely now care more about (1) money, (2) rivers and streams having salt or sand, even a minimum which is ridiculous from a New England standpoint, and let's see... (1,999) people dying in car accidents from ice and snow.  That about sums it up folks (oh, unless you could near their own homes, then that is bumped up to #1).

Sections
Shortcuts