What can London learn from Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What can London learn from Boston

Not to diminish in any way the seriousness of the recent riots in London, but after Prime Minister David Cameron said his government would look to cities like Boston in tackling the issue, we decided to ask a far lighter question: What ELSE could London learn from Boston. Here are a few suggestions, but we want more from you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: What can London learn from Boston

To be honest..I think it should be more like what can Boston ( and the US) learn from London. My son and I were talking politics last week and he had a good point..nothing is going to change the political climate in this country unless people start taking to the streets to voice their displeasure. Sadly..we in the US are not conditioned to rebel..only to conform and be obedient.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlfaRomeo. Show AlfaRomeo's posts

Re: What can Boston learn from London

Chilling the beer kills the flavor - fact!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artiefufkin. Show artiefufkin's posts

2 things:

- John Kerry's teeth look as fake as his hair in that picture.
    - I'm not a big fan of fried fish, but Lobster is also the least flavorful crustacean in the world... there's a reason it used to be fed to prisoners.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thedude1985. Show Thedude1985's posts

I'm from Boston and I like soccer better than football. This article is the exact reason why most non-Americans dislike Americans. Stop being so damn condescending.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GretchenR. Show GretchenR's posts

I disagree with just about all of the things in hte list above. For instance, double-decker buses are already on their way out in London, which is sad. The are far more pracical than the duck-boats, which are noisy, smelly tourist-traps and not serious transportation. Every brew of beer has a temperature at which it is to be served. Good brews are often best at 53 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas many American lagers need to be served ice-cold to hide their appaling taste. Dental hygeine is a maybe, but teeth are not naturally pearly-white and completely straight. I'd rather my politicians keep their real teeth and their real values. Football? You've got to be kidding - these are totally different games and do not compare. I somewhat agree with the seafood suggestion - Britain needs more variety in its fare of seafood - but I reject ketchup. Most importantly, there is the original question of what London needs to learn from Boston regarding policing - and I don't think there is anything. Boston cops can be good, respectful, strong, and considerate but are often the opposite. There is a history of brutality in the Boston (area) police department(s) which has been covered over as being racially motivated, when it is not. London shares that problem with Boston. Boston has the advantage of being smaller, richer, and that is not something London can fix. London has to learn on its own, though I suggest longer incarceration for offenders (with actual efforts to reform them and integrate them into civil society upon their release), police with more adequate weapons, and an effort to gain the respect of the population.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DJBolton. Show DJBolton's posts

London can learn some things from Boston. The ability to close all nightclubs at 2AM, to operate an underground system that barely makes it out of the city and to make sure that only one sports team represents the area in a chosen game. And whoever wrote this piece can learn that showing a Manchester United soccer player in an article about London just isn't cricket.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toddskiis1. Show toddskiis1's posts

I'm American, but often hide the fact due to articles like the asinine one above.  The UK and London (someplace I have spent considerable time) has far more qualities than Boston or the US as a while...people are educated, intelligible, proper football, a proper pint of lager and a bevy of other reasons that most Americans know, but are too ethnocentric to acknowledge!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkuhns52. Show dkuhns52's posts

Guns.  

1.) Policemen & women should always be armed, ( this is just common sense) and be allowed to use their weapons as a means of deadly force if they feel their, or other citizens safty is in danger.

2.) Repeal gun control laws which prevent law abiding citizens from legally possessing and carrying firearms.  .

Very simple.  The right to bear arms didn't just happen to be listed as the second most important right in our constitution.  Think about it U.K.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prlambert76. Show prlambert76's posts

This list was pretty good until you told them to lose the vinegar and put ketchup on their fries instead.  Really?  I'll take vinegar whenever available - and I think a lot of other New Englanders agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kije. Show Kije's posts

1)      You wouldn't need your cryogenic beer if it had some flavor. The beer here is either over flavored to the point of parody, or it is canoe beer.

2)      ) Football? You are of course kidding? I'll take a game played by the players any day over micromanaged board games played by a committee.

3)      ) Politness and civility are a vice? Spoken like a true Bostonian I guess.

4)      ) The Boston Accent? I thought it was a speech impediment.

5)      ) Dirty water? Written by a one hit wonder outfit from the west coast who, I believe, hadn't even been to Boston? The authenticity really brings a tear to your eye.

6)      ) Dental Hygiene? That's rich from a society where most folks can't afford a dentist. And do you really value style over substance? I'll take their slightly yellow choppers over your glistening fake row of tombstones.

7)      ) Lets see, Fish and chips versus burgers fries and a large diet coke. Hmm, not such a tough choice; and what would your average hubster know about fish and chips anyways? They do not exist here. As for vinegar, you wouldn't say that if you could get decent malt vinegar.

Moreover, you will routinely find a much wider choice of seafood in the UK that you can generally find here.

Lastly, do the gun nuts have to invade every conversation? Your precious constitution specifies that the right exists in a well regulated miltia, that is , ONLY in a well regulated miltia. Your guns are a blight on this society. I don’t know how you continue to get away with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedubliner. Show thedubliner's posts

Do some research.  The beer in England is not served at room temperature, it's served cold.  Christian Bale is Welsh, not English. 

I'm a Bostonian living in Ireland, and even with the whole Irish/English history, I found this whole 'article' to be absurd and offensive.  I can't believe such tripe can be published.  It completely undermines the riots and paints a picture of ridiculous ignorance on the part of the writer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlbolster. Show mlbolster's posts

Re: What can Boston learn from London

In Response to Re: What can Boston learn from London:
    [QUOTE]Chilling the beer kills the flavor - fact!
    Posted by AlfaRomeo[/QUOTE]

I agree! I love Sam Adams. But always have to let it warm up some when I get it from tap or out of someone's fridge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

In Response to Re: What can London learn from Boston:

A friendly and well-meant suggestion: Look up "paragraph." They make what you write much easier to read.

Yes, fatter players help in American football, because players tackle and get tackled. In soccer, it would just make them run more slowly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billpgoode. Show billpgoode's posts

I'm glad to see that other people agree that this slideshow is pretty bad. I would say more, but other such as GretchenR and LtKije already covered anything that I would add.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ramd. Show ramd's posts

A piece of journalism that would be even better if it was never written in the
    first place. I love Boston, but it's not in the same league as London, which is
    self evident when you go there. Just a bit of puerile arrogance. Serve British
    beer chilled ? Ugh. The Globe used to be a good newspaper back in the day,
    now you're digging your own grave.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from revjj. Show revjj's posts

Concur.  What an absurd post.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pwdeniro. Show pwdeniro's posts

As  a Londoner, this article did at least make me smile. I'll take the the many, many inaccuracies as polite american banter but a few things can't be let go! 

1) The london bus - up there with the yellow (and black cab) as the most iconic transport in the world. Duck boats would be OK if it weren't for those annoying idoits shouting on the microphone all the way through. Oh and every city seems to have duck boats now aswell!

2) If you serve an ale warm it would taste TERRIBLE. Nearly as bad as most american 'beers'. New englnd beers are good but cold ale - do me a favour!!

3) Football. I could go on and one. 'throwball' although enjoyable isn't as good as proper football. Perhaps next time consider suing a London (as opposed to Manchester) footballer in an article about London. You may aswell of printed a Jets player next to Berbatov.

4) Politeness- fair enough. But to attempt to say SNL is better then the Python.  Really! UK version of the office  vs american office? again 'nuff said.

5) accent? again, really? and yes Bale is Welsh unfortunately

6) edgier song? there are literally a thousand fold more songs written about London and you picked 'foggy day in London town'?!? I love dirty water (especially at the end at fenway) but come on - London calling by the clash - edgy enough?

7) teeth - ok fair problem. But TB (not Mr Brady) is still a cooler dude the JK - Tony is a mean guitar player :-)

8) do not, i repeat, do not dismiss the vinegar. Proper chips, not fries, should be served with fish and with tons of vinegar. Ketchup aswell. Also obviosuly lobster is better its 10 times the price!! I generally prefer a bit of Gobi beef to a McDs but thats kind of obvous too.

All in all Boston is awesome but London is still the daddy. Plus this article is so way off!!

Over and out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pwdeniro. Show pwdeniro's posts

Also one other thing (more serious) - does any sane person with an IQ over 70 believe the situation in the UK would of been better if people carried guns!? What the...?.

How can a public order sitaution may improved by bullets spraying about from bith sides, insanity. The police in the UK were perhaps not heavy handed enough but too arm the nation, get real.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy109. Show randy109's posts

All Americans should watch Monty Python continuously, non-stop.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]Guns.   1.) Policemen & women should always be armed, ( this is just common sense) and be allowed to use their weapons as a means of deadly force if they feel their, or other citizens safty is in danger. 2.) Repeal gun control laws which prevent law abiding citizens from legally possessing and carrying firearms.  . Very simple.  The right to bear arms didn't just happen to be listed as the second most important right in our constitution.  Think about it U.K.
    Posted by dkuhns52[/QUOTE]

Dipstick. Think about this mini-"arms race" you have here with police and crims. You have armed your cops so criminals feel they need a weapon to protect themselves. Then the cops get bullet proof vests, so the crims get piercing-armor ammo. Then the public are scared so they start buying guns, and the whole stupid negative cycle of violence feeds off of itself and never ends.

I'd prefer that was not allowed to happen elsewhere thanks very much. A little knifing here and there is more than enough!

Another thing Boston can learn from elsewhere is not to drink+drive. The UK has always blitzed down on these evil people, with tons of ad campaigns and police car-stops. Here, its seen as a joke until you smash into a child then its too late. Every freakin day nearly we hear another story of a hit+run. 

So get civilized first Boston then you can give some advice to other places. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Some_Lady. Show Some_Lady's posts

Everything about this article is embarrassingly stupid.  What a bunch of condenscending nonsense.  Most of the things referenced weren't even Boston specific (beer, duck boats, lobster, SNL, football); this writing is so lazy that sloths would be embarrassed for you. 

I'm going to nitpick about your  "edgy song" contention.  What the [expletive] are you on about?  Have you ever heard any of the following:

"London Calling" - The Clash
    "Panic" - The Smiths
    "LDN" - Lily Allen

Dirty Water is not edgy, especially since The Charles isn't even dirty anymore. 

LAME SAUCE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

London can learn how to elect people that can't even speak english.

Right Mumbles??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonnie80. Show bonnie80's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest..I think it should be more like what can Boston ( and the US) learn from London. My son and I were talking politics last week and he had a good point..nothing is going to change the political climate in this country unless people start taking to the streets to voice their displeasure. Sadly..we in the US are not conditioned to rebel..only to conform and be obedient.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. People here complain but don't do anything to remedy the problem at hand. The status quo is accepted as if there is no other alternative. People who take to the streets get what they want, it's their country-fight for what you believe in. What a sad moral decline in this country, I can't see it ever getting better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Boston sux, London's great..at least from the posts.

Enjoy the riots!