What will you give up for Lent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

A growing number of New England Christians are choosing to "go green" for Lent this year, attempting to reduce their energy use for the 40 days leading up to Easter.

Will you consider going green for Lent? If not, what do you plan to give up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfy915. Show wolfy915's posts

Cliche, but count me among those giving up religion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whippersnapper. Show whippersnapper's posts

Wow, I thought I would come here and bring down the level of discourse with a wise guy reply, but they have all been taken. Good job, everybody!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamu. Show Shamu's posts

I was gonna say essentially the same thing lol But I said that when asked what my new year's resolution was...I said "to not make unreasonable promises which I know I will not keep" or somesuch thing...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

What is Lent? Christian Ramadan?

I imagine Ramadan is modeled after Lent, rather than the other way around.

Lent comes from the Jewish "counting of the omer", a period of seven weeks between Passover and the festival of Shavuot, during which any form of celebration is shunned.

I'm shocked, shocked at how cavalier most of the posters have been about this most serious of subjects.� Don't you care about the fate of your souls after you do that mortal-coil shuffle?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garfield-jab. Show garfield-jab's posts

I've given up smoking cigarettes for lent

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chekhov. Show chekhov's posts

Given the snide tone here, I feel obliged to give a sincere answer.� On Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), our priest spoke directly about humanity's need to respond to the environmental crisis and challenged us to respond in kind for Lent.� I've given up plastic bags for Lent.� It's a bit of a nuisance sometimes and requires some pre-planning, but I think I will keep doing it after Lent.� It's a small thing, but .....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

I don't know about you, but I find it sad that so many posters on here seem to not be religious and yet feel the need to criticize others for their faith.� Talk about immaturity and a lack of respect.� Do they not have anything better to do?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

I find it sad that so many posters on here seem to not be religious and yet feel the need to criticize others for their faith.

I believe that religious faith is a very personal thing.� It is for no one to judge the value religion holds for another.� So I agree it is in poor taste to make fun of another's beliefs, but I also think it would be inappropriate to be sad that someone is not religious at all (though I'm not sure that is what you're trying to say).

That said, my sarcastic feigning of shock at the disrespect shown by most of the posters on this board was based on the lack of respect many posters show for each other on almost every other subject.� Wish it were different.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

I did not mean to imply that it is sad that someone is not religious (as you are correct - it is their choice).� I do find it sad that people who are not religious or people of a different faith feel they need to criticize others on this message board.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

It starts on Ash Wednesday (which was Feb 6th)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Given the snide tone here, I feel obliged to give a sincere answer.� OnAsh Wednesday (the first day of Lent), our priest spoke directly abouthumanity's need to respond to the environmental crisis and challengedus to respond in kind for Lent.� I've given up plastic bags for Lent.�It's a bit of a nuisance sometimes and requires some pre-planning, butI think I will keep doing it after Lent.� It's a small thing, but .....

Excellent!� We're trying to transition from plastic to reusable bags as well, and it is really hard to break old habits and remember to bring bags to the grocery store, etc.

Like many things in life, it's wonderful that something like Lent can be a catalyst for a permanent change for the good, but it shouldn't have to be necessary.� Why wait for Lent to come around to improve yourself and the world?� As a parallel, many changes we could make which would mitigate global warming - improving gas milage, using renewable energy, public transportation, conservation, etc. - would be worth doing even if the planet didn't "have a fever" because they reduce pollution and the trade imbalance.� No need to wait for the final verdict to come in on if or how fast the planet is warming, just like there's no need to wait for Lent to do the right thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamu. Show Shamu's posts

heeheehee
    You're a better man than I :-)