What's the weather like in your area?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thorge24. Show Thorge24's posts

Just a some ice coating on the trees in Maynard, MA

Driving to work in Marlboro another story though. Ice covered trees and wires all the way from Stow through Hudson to Marlboro. Some places in Marlboro had power, (Hanniford Plaza on Rt 20) but our company did not. We stuck it out for 90 minuets or so and then told to go home as there isn't anything we could do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoJoM154. Show JoJoM154's posts

Hearing reports could be down til Sun or Mon at least it is somewhat warm for now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonallenross. Show jasonallenross's posts

In Shrewsbury, trees are down everywhere and power is out all over the place. Downed lines and quite a mess overall. Getting into work was a hairy experience dodging downed power lines and so on.

Luckily work is not affected, got only rain, and there's hot coffee and a shower.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Varies here in Haverhill. Some areas without power, but some areas are OK, including mine. Trees down everywhere, making driving a little dicey.

My sympathies to my NH colleagues - they're hurting up there.

Best advice: stay home if you can. Let the crews do their jobs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Medford only got the rain. I tooka taxi to work this morning, got here in 15 minutes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FermionAce. Show FermionAce's posts

Is there a way to get an official update on power restoration in Hudson, MA? I see nothing on the town, Hudson Light & Power, or library web sites...Hudson Light & Power's phone line has been busy (presumably taken offline) all day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazed. Show amazed's posts

It's beautiful today.... just think, all of this rain could have been snow !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jr42. Show jr42's posts

[Quote]Is there a way to get an official update on power restoration in Hudson, MA? I see nothing on the town, Hudson Light & Power, or library web sites...Hudson Light & Power's phone line has been busy (presumably taken offline) all day.[/Quote]

I was wondering this myself... I live in Hudson, unpleasant waking up this morning with no power. (yeah, I know a lot of other people around the state have the same problem)
    Fortunately for me I was going away this weekend anyways, but wondering about my stuff and the contents of my fridge and whatnot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from caroljsheehan. Show caroljsheehan's posts

I hear that its pretty bad out in Bolton, MA. My sister has no power and she has trees down in her drive way and yard. I live in Boston haven't checked our basement to see if we got flooded.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marcel81. Show marcel81's posts

A lot of ice in Worcester, trees down and the T cancelled or delayed morning trains - ended up taking the bus at 9:20. TGIF
    Stay safe and warm everyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ed1027204. Show Ed1027204's posts

Barrington NH-Very icy, ice all over the trees and roads and powerlines. No power at all. We have VOIP phone so no phone lines although my sister in law in Strafford has a land line so has phone. Driving to work in Portsmouth NH, there is power in the Newington NH area. My office in Portsmouth has power but Dover NH does not and my husband's company (Liberty Mutual) closed their Dover operations which is unheard of. During lunch, it was like a madhouse, everyoone from all over the Seacoast descending into the malls for food, light and heat. Long lines for Gas at lunch time. Guess it's not so crowded now. PSNH is saying 320,000 customers are out of power and there are crews from Ohio, PA, Canada and other parts of the country coming out to help.There are traffic lights out all over the place..several auto crashes. it's a little Chaotic for us up here north of the border.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nina1966. Show Nina1966's posts

Any updates for Hudson?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilUp. Show PhilUp's posts

We have had our power restored in hudson, ma. About 4:45 pm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FermionAce. Show FermionAce's posts

[Quote]Any updates for Hudson?[/Quote]

Our power came back a little before 5pm. I called the police station shortly before it came back, and they said they were hoping to have 80% of the town powered by 7pm. They also said that the Farley School is set up as a shelter for people waiting for power restoration.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allegory29. Show allegory29's posts

I feel badly for all of you without power. Went through the same thing in Western New York in 1991. It took 6 weeks to get power restored to all areas even with crews from all over east coast and midwest helping out. Get someplace warm if you can!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amr821. Show amr821's posts

My family is stuck without heat and power in western Mass. The generator is not working and they're worried the pipes will freeze. School was canceled everywhere. Apparently, there are very few trees still standing, the roads are suicide, people's basements are flooding, and it looks like a war zone. Scary stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from samlynn. Show samlynn's posts

I am not an electrician and have no expertise in that field. I lived in the South Pacific for many years where we had hurricanes. People lost roofs, homes, and power. Once we lost power for three weeks. Finally it was decided to put the powerlines underground. People still lost roofs, homes, crops, but there was no longer the massive power losses or the danger of electrocution. Why cannot we do the same?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titotc. Show titotc's posts

I am in central MA and I had a huge limb fall in my back yard and a couple of trees came down. My neighbor seen this as an opportunity to make some money off of me. He came over and said that he would chop up the trees with his chainsaw. My wife called me and told me about it and I thought it was neighborly thing to do. I said that I would stop and pick up something for him on the way home. She called me back a few minutes latter and said that I can skip getting him a bottle of something, he wants $100 instead. Then he proceeded to work for less than an hour and and didn't even cut up some of the huge branches in my yard.

This whole thing left me a little peeved.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Today? It's cold. Tomorrow it'll be cold and every day after that until the middle of June which is seven months away.

Yeah I know I skipped over the spring season but how many previous springs were actually a warming 50-60 degree go between from winter into summer?

Since the late 90's I can't think of any.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubet. Show ubet's posts

[Quote]Left NE years ago for the west coast and this just enforces my decision. Snow, ice it's all yours! Enjoy the next several months of cold, ice, slush, ccabin fever...[/Quote]

Thanks Polsinelli, Love the cold weather to be honest.

Let us know how the fires and mudslides are going over the next few years. That is, unless the state falls into the ocean.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1mgy. Show k1mgy's posts

A commenter writes, "It would be funny, this total lack of federal responsiveness, if it weren't such a terrible situation. Where have all our tax payer money gone to handle natural resource crises? How can an ordinary citizen even reach someone relevant in the federal government when there is a crisis?"

The entire apparatus is doing vital work. Yesterday, desperate for information, I checked into MEMA's web site. If I had any previous worries about the capability and competence of those folks in the "bunka", any question was wiped out when viewing all the vital information, such as "Guidelines for handling satellite deorbit debris", and "shelter in place" instructions.

Meanwhile, with a cold family, no heat, a basement filled with water, no generators, we ought to take comfort in knowing that, in the "bunka", and elsewhere, there's a high level of preparedness.

Intelligence, planning, and capacity, however, appears to be NIL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fifty8th. Show fifty8th's posts

Andover (Shawsheen): Lost power Thursday at 11:30 and spent the night with realtives in Newburyport Friday night. Called home at sporatically Friday night to see if the answeiring machine would pickup (a surefire way to know if the power came back on) and we got power back sometime between 9:30 and 11:00 Friday night. Now back home cleaning up some broken tree limbs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc123. Show tc123's posts

[Quote]I am not an electrician and have no expertise in that field. I lived in the South Pacific for many years where we had hurricanes. People lost roofs, homes, and power. Once we lost power for three weeks. Finally it was decided to put the powerlines underground. People still lost roofs, homes, crops, but there was no longer the massive power losses or the danger of electrocution. Why cannot we do the same?[/Quote]

I am wondering the same thing! If they say it's because of money, how much money does it cost to fix it every time? I don't get it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

I thought about that, too, but... Yes, I think it would cost billions and be an ongoing taxpayer financed project that would not end. Think Big Dig Parts II AND III. I saw them try to move lines on a half mile stretch of Route 20 a few years back, it cost millions and took them well over a year.

The utilities fix transformers and lines on an ongoing basis, it is much quicker and less expensive to do so above ground. Although it would be nice, and look better, to have the lines underground.

Hope all is well out there, I got my family safe to NH (with power) and am going to spend the night back in Fitchburg to check on the cat and the pipes.

They say tomorrow will warm back up, so it is only tonight I am worrying about.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shorty59. Show Shorty59's posts

Everything east of the San Andreas fault will eventually plunge into the Atlantic Ocean.

Sections
Shortcuts