When is a minority not a minority?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

When is a minority not a minority?

I work for a pretty big company. 
    On occasion  they will have networking events for minorities. Cool idea. 
    Except when they use the term "minorities" they are actually specifically referring to "racial minorities" (and even then I wonder if my asian friends would be welcome). I have also seen this several places, including newspapers, tv shows etc etc. The encompassing broad term has been misused for a specific group for decades
    Other under-represented minority groups obviously include LGBT people, physically disabled people, hell even people with red-hair!
    Yet I bet if any of those show up to these events they would be met with a cold shoulder. 
    Lets take a quick poll. When YOU hear the term "minority" used what is your initial thought to who it encompasses? 

The point of this is to beg you in the future to use the word as it was meant. If you mean racial minorities then please do SAY "racial minorities". If you mean a specific sub-group within racial minorities (eg chinese, indians, american-indians, african-americans, africans-not-from-america, thai, vietnamese, etc etc) then just use that terminology too. It would make life a lot less confusing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Re: When is a minority not a minority?

You just don't get it. These terms are invented specifically to make people uncomfortable. Thus no one shows. Its not about inclusion and integration. It is about fear and self loathing. But the organizer gets good citizen points. Ten thousand good citizen points equals a trip to a cheezy cape cod motel in the off season. This is all secret Plasko I Knoe you will keep it , I trust you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: When is a minority not a minority?

In Response to Re: When is a minority not a minority?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to When is a minority not a minority? : A racial minority within the United States of America. I recognize that the word "minority" has a broader meaning, but, it has more or less universally been used as a shorthand for "racial minority", when it is discussed in contexts that would ordinarily concern racial minorities.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Now that is just plain bizarre. I actually emailed to ask them for their definition. Here it is: "underrepresented minorities (URM) are defined as African American, Alaskan/Hawaiian Native, Hispanic, and Native American. "
    Fair enough. But whatever happened to Asian-americans? Who did they pi$$ off to get excluded? 
    I agree that the term definitely is a very badly-used shorthand, however how are we to know when the context should involve racial minorities? The initial thing in my example was about a social networking group being formed (ie drinking in the pub). Sounded kinda fun. No mention or assumption of race in my head. 
    Maybe I am just not racist enough to categorize people based on their skin color, and put them into boxes like "minority". In fact I do think we should all be colorblind and these groups are in-themselves exlusionary and racist. 

Sections
Shortcuts