Which subway line is the best/worst?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

The MBTA today unveiled the first of 94 new subway cars for the Blue Line, which will replace 70 cars that are nearly 30 years old.Do you think this will greatly improve service on the Blue Line or its standing compared to the other subway lines? And by the way, which subway line is the best and which is the worst: Green, Orange, Red, Blue?��

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnbc72. Show johnbc72's posts

I like them all the same.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajmayo. Show ajmayo's posts

I have to agree that the Green Line slowest and worst suited for a major city.� But the D line is the same price as all the other lines, that change was made with the introduction of the fantastic (insert sarcasm) Charlie Card system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zootriotus. Show zootriotus's posts

How is the D line overpriced? $1.70 for a one way ticket to go downtown from Riverside? That's a steal. Go to DC and deal with those fares. They are ridiculous. I think the Boston T is underappreciated rather than overpriced.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjwill23. Show sjwill23's posts

The best is probably the red line - never too crowded and mostly people keeping to themselves on the way to Cambridge and back. The green line is a crowded disaster - I see people falling out of them everyday, instances where there are 9 thousand people but they have a train with only 2 cars etc. But as someone posted earlier, the college women make it well worth it especially during baseball season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pmassari. Show pmassari's posts

In terms of subway, the�Red Line is the heavyweight champ when it comes to breakdowns, delays, and schedule adjustments. Try 528 failures on the Red Line in 2006, many of them due to�the decrepit track switches at the Columbia Junction between JFK/UMass and Andrew stations.�During rush hour, the red line is stop and go between UMass and Park Street. And after rush hour, plan on a good 20 minute wait for a Braintree or Ashmont if you live past JFK/UMASS. Hell, the express train from Salem will get you into downtown Boston faster than the Red Line will get you there from North Quincy.That said,�things are much worse on the commuter rail. They actually cancelled the 8am trains yesterday, stranding my neighbors at the station. No trains until 940am. They had to walk back and work from home. Red, Green, Orange, or Blue can't hold a candle to the commuter rail when it comes to delays and hassles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jolyonwagg. Show jolyonwagg's posts

Where's the mystery in knowing how soon a train is coming?! "The T: We Always Keep You Guessing."

OR

"The T: You Never Know."

Spaniards are always: rush, rush, rush! And what's up with that Mediterranean punctuality? Relax, live a little!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cutmesomeslackjack. Show cutmesomeslackjack's posts

The D line costs the same as all other T lines, and has since the last fare hike.� Previously it cost 2x more inbound but was free outbound if you boarded beyond Fenway.� I actually preferred it the old way.

Depends on your definition of worst.� The Green Line is a different type of service from the other three.� Among Heavy Rail lines, Blue is awful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from geeks. Show geeks's posts

They all stink.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lar120860. Show lar120860's posts

I ride the green D line every day and night and there's one major thing that I've seen day in and day out for years....during morning rush hour...you will stand and see a ratio of 5:1 trains going OUTBOUND and near empty while the platform fills with people trying to go inbound�to work...but it gets better...at the end of the day going home....same thing...5:1 ratio of trains headed INBOUND while the outbound platform fills with people trying to get home and when trains do show up in either of these scenarios...they are CRAMMED with no room to squeeze on.� Why, oh why, can't there be more trains where there's more people?� And if we're the oldest subway in the country, then why the hell haven't we figured this all out yet?!?!?� 23 years here commuting and it is no better than 1985.� But, spring training and Manny watch have begun, so c'est la vie.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joplinspig. Show joplinspig's posts

Oh, I completely agree with you...I am American, but I travel extensively.� I've never been to Spain� (sorry, line from a song...), but you can set your watch to the arrivals and departures of trains in other countries.� In this country,being 15 minutes late is acceptabIe.� I�regularly use two commuter rail ines, Fitchburg and Framingham, and they are routinely off schedule.� I use T buses daily where schedules are mere guidelines.� The Red Line runs good, but the unexpected "express trains" are annoying, the Orange Line is very�slow during off peak hours, and the Green Line sits in traffic.� By default, the best line is the Blue Line.� �

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from h2oleary. Show h2oleary's posts

How has no one mentioned the E line?� I mean, seriously.� Taking the E train at rush hour (morning or night) is taking your life into your hands.� The pushing, the shoving, the severe lack of trains.... Waiting at Government Center for an E train is an exercise in restraint.�

B, B, C, D, B, C, E!!!� No, wait.�

It's too packed to squeeze another person on (although 8 people will try).� After another 10 minutes, once you finally get on the train, it takes a half hour to get to the Museum of Fine Arts stop.�

The red and blue lines have served me well, but the Green Line... the Green line makes me consider moving.�

Although I will admit, it's fun to see the looks on the faces of people at the Prudential stop once they realize that they can't fit on the train.� "There's another train directly behind me..."� Thank goodness they're saying it to tourists... real Bostonians don't buy that crap anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollanjo. Show hollanjo's posts

I just missed a flight in -->-->Paris-->--> bc 1 train was delayed 20 mins, the next took 15 mins to crawl 1 stop, a 3rd never showed.� Just disappeared off the nifty board telling me it was coming in 2 minutes.� Until that day I thought the trains were awesome.� When you are a tourist without a care in the world, they seem great, when you need them, I'm sure they are just as horrible as the MBTA.-->-->And for everyone in love with the red line...you must not take the -->-->Braintree-->--> line.� It is ridiculously crowded.-->-->My favorite is when the train sits for a schedule adjustment, even though they can't possibly fit 1 more person in.I just moved to North Quincy, and I am counting the days until I leave.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pollie. Show pollie's posts

I have been riding the T for 18 years now, and find that it has only gotten worse. Schedule Adjustment? Come on. The buses are a joke, the green line is pathetic at best, and the service stinks on so many levels. How would you feel being a visitor to Boston, going into Park Street station and looking around. It is filthy, unorganized and generally a crap experience just being in there.

The buses are a travesty. There are stops every hundred yards, the buses never even try to pull over and just sit there and block traffic (see Mass Ave Arlington). The buses themselves are falling apart, filthy, and if you don't bathe in bleach after riding one, then you might end up with the black plague. But, the suits that run it are too busy handing out bonus packages to eachother and dreaming up new excuses for lack of service. By far the worst public transportation in the country. Mexico City has public transportation that rocks. It is on time and clean. Here, they specialize in overpaying themselves. Safety is the #1 priority? hahaha! I have been on three trains in the last six months that started on fire and looked like they were about 25 years old, and unmaintained.

Good luck out there on the T.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobmccauley. Show bobmccauley's posts

i think that the Green line comes in second, with the other three lines tied for first...which is a way of spinning the fact that the Green line is really bad...just look at the condition of some of the cars...sure they have those newer trolleys on 2 of the 4 branches...but they've been promising and promising and promising to bring them to the other 2 branches (D& E) for who knows how long...then they are excess stops along the line that so many other people have rightly commented on...but what really gets me is the lack of partiy in trains between the the four branches....you can wait a lot longer for a D or E train than you generally would for a B or C...another thing is the T's creative scheduling where an inbound train destined for Government Center or beyond will get turned around at Park leaving an entire trainload of customers waiting for the next overcrowded train to complete their journey...in T-speak it's called re-routing though it just seems like its another way to inconveniece the riders for no apparent reason

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mibsphil. Show mibsphil's posts

I've been riding the T for 30+ years, and it has gotten steadily worse every year. I think it's interesting that the people who�have commented that the Red Line is one of the better lines are using it in and out of Cambridge. I, too, didn't have too much trouble on the Red Line when I lived in Cambridge. Now that I have to take it from Braintree to downtown it's a complete disaster. Overcrowded, filthy, unreliable, and lots of�long stops between stations�for no reason (I don't count "schedule adjustment" as a legitimate reason). More than once, in frigid weather, we've all been told to get off the train at JFK because of some mechanical problem. But were there any T employees at JFK to tell us where to go or what to do? Were there any shuttle buses ready to take us into downtown? Nope. Just many hundreds of people, freezing, hoping for another train that wasn't already packed. And, if they know a train full of people has been dumped at JFK, why do they continue to let people get on at Braintree? The T is a disgrace, no matter how you look at it. It's run by people with no transportation background or expertise. The legislature apparently isn't interested in dealing with it, and the employees know they can't get fired so they really don't care much how they do their jobs (or don't do them). The stations are filthy and�the passengers are rude. I really think that people behave according to local norms and what's expected of them. In DC, there is no eating or drinking allowed on the trains (and I have seen people ticketed and their food confiscated) and consequently there is almost never any trash on their trains. People are generally pretty considerate--they actually wait for passengers to get off the train before trying to get on. I don't necessarily think DC's system is one to hold up as a standard: it's very expensive, and it doesn't go anywhere near where poor, working people live. Nevertheless, it's clean, efficient, and passenger-friendly. It's past time for the governor and the legislature to take this problem seriously and clean house at the T. I don't understand why this shoddy, shameful system is tolerated. It's just embarrassing to think that tourists get an impression of our city from our transit system. Bad enough that those of us who live here have to use it, but when tourism is such an important part of our economy, and we're trying to promote Boston as a world class city, we have a public transportation system that simply does not work and is not pleasant to use.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

Took my 10 yr old son to the MFA.� Parked at Alewife and changed at Park to Green E.The trip there around 10 am was okay but the trip home at 2 pm was a nightmare.� The train kept getting more and more packed.� The driver�made his announcements to "clear the doors" and the train is sitting on the tracks while people packed in even more tightly.� No one believes another train will be coming any time soon.I hate the Green Line.� Almost any time I take it there are not enough trains to service the people and everyone stampedes to get up those high steps and they don't much care if you have kids with you or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston123456789. Show boston123456789's posts

The Green Line is the worst line.� I take it everyday from Haymarket to Arlington and what should be a 5 minute ride takes 10-15.� Going from Arlington back to Haymarket is the worse.� How come there are so many trains that goes to Govt Center and are nearly empty and when a North Station or Lechmere train comes, it is literally packed.

I sometimes take the Blue Line and it's bad.� There are usually trains coming every few minutes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic40. Show atomic40's posts

TO: h2olearyNot sure what your exact commuting schedule is but if you get off at MFA and Gov't Center, I would take the Orange Line from State to Ruggles rather than the Green from Gov't Center to MFA.� There may� be more walking involved but you woul prob still save time.The green line is by far the worst.� The cars are too small to handle the demand. �

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic40. Show atomic40's posts

Okie33333�, yes, I would take out BU East and West.� Keep Central as the lone BU stop.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from naniof3. Show naniof3's posts

Green Line, B trains, are by far the worst for slowness and lack of reliability. The three years I had to use it to get to work on upper Comm. Ave. were torture. I like the Blue Line once it gets going -- I rarely encounter slowdowns or busing, and look forward to the new trains. Ha! When I first started riding the Blue Line from Wonderland in 1970, they were doing a ton of PR about the new cars they'd just bought. Hang around long enough and everything is new again. I like the Red Line for speed and efficiency, but, yes, I am always heading from Park to Cambridge. Rush hour trains are really crowded, and people can be rude on those trains, shoving and not making room. I love the view from train windows over the Charles between Charles MGH and Kendall MIT -- it's always something to look forward to on the dreariest days. I don't use the Orange line, so can't comment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clubbedinthehead. Show clubbedinthehead's posts

I only have use for the Green Line, and it's terrible.� I won't delve on the issues of crowding or lack of on-time trains (or trains themselves during rush hour, for that matter).� The one thing that has been bothering me of late is the inefficiency of the MBTA in completing their projects.� The so-called "platform upgrades" along the D-branch have been under construction for months.� How long does it take to make a platform?!� I never see anyone working on the projects, which are now piles of fenced-off rubble that make for unsafe situations.� And don't get me started on the Kenmore station upgrade that was supposed to be completed two years ago... I've quoted this before, and I'll say it again:"If hospitals were run like the MBTA, we'd all be dead." --an MBTA employee at the Reservoir station.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

I used to take the Blue line, didn't mind it even though Maverick can be a challange.��Can't wait to try outr one of the new cars. I hate the Green line. Crowded, slow, jerky, and those new cars make me nauseous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsboyz. Show patsboyz's posts

There are two rails, one north and one south, you have people with wheelchairs, baby carts ect getting on the trains.� It's hard to me to think that the trains could ever keep schedule but that's just me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Green line is slowest and most crowded for most branches.� Orange and blue are the dirtiest, and not great.� Red Line is pretty good, and the Commuter Rail is relatively comfortable (and only late 20% more than they promise!!--yes, that is sarcasm).� The Silver Line, though not a "subway" per se has been great.�