Which subway line is the best/worst?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from btdbtd. Show btdbtd's posts

They are more wired because the governments there steal more money from thier people than ours does.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zootriotus. Show zootriotus's posts

Spain? Are you kidding. Madrid and Barcelona are light years ahead of us in public transportation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from junebug1. Show junebug1's posts

If you think Orange Line delays are only three minutes when theyhappen, let me be the first to tell you it ain't so.� Most of thetime, it runs okay but when they screw up they do it big time.�You can be waiting half an hour or more for a train, and of course youcan't get on the first couple of trains that come through since theyare so packed.� But they assure you that "another train isdirectly behind this one!"� Sure, five or six stops behind,perhaps.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cutmesomeslackjack. Show cutmesomeslackjack's posts

Displaced Boston resident here to tell you, IT AIN'T AS BAD IN BOSTON AS YOU THINK.� OK, let's take a look at the other choices for large subway systems other than Boston:

-Washington DC, apparently everyone's favorite.� Yes, great system, but built 80 years after Boston's, and it costs a lot more than the T to ride most places.� Serves a smaller geographic area, too.
    -New York.� Well, basically, it serves the densest city in America, there are over 20 million people living within the MTA service area.� So yea, it's better because it has the support of a HUGE captive market.� It ain't cleaner though.
    -Chicago, where I currently reside.� This system runs out of money approximately every 3 months, at which time they have to announce that fares will increase 50% and 80 bus routes will be eliminated.� Then, the night before it takes effect, they get their government bailout.� That scenario has happened 3 times since I moved here in September.� Every rail car in the system is at least 30 years old.� The wooden rail ties under the tracks are so old and rotten that there are large stretches where the train has to go 15 mph or slower.� CTA is a trainwreck!� (Oh yea, they have those too.)
    -BART (san francisco).� They learned the hard way why you shouldn't make carpeted rail cars.� Also costs more to ride.

I'm not saying the T is great or that it's far and away the best, but I've seen real improvements in the past few years.� I actually think Grabauskas is AT LEAST sincere about fixing the T to the extent he can.� It won't happen overnight but he's looking at the right things.

The green line has been obsolete and over capacity for decades.� They should rip the tracks out and run 120 foot buses in the medians instead.� Cheaper to operate, faster, and they can run as many back to back as they need to meet demand.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cullencschmitt. Show cullencschmitt's posts

The Green's D Line is good after its goes above ground after Kenmore.� Inside the city, it is just slow.� Why don't they increase the Green line to 3 cars because they are always crowded.� They need to make sure the trains are on time as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

There is no best line in The MBTA.� They all are pathetic.� The MBTA is so dirty compared to other U.S. mass-transit systems (Washington, D.C.; Atlanta, GA; etc).� Whoops! I forgot about New York.� That mass-transit system is almost as bad as The MBTA.�� The MBTA is not even close to London, Paris, or Madrid.� Contrary to what I was told, when I was young, the U.S. is a third world country with a backwards mass-transit system.� The U.S. has hardly any high speed rail.�� I think the only current High Speed Trains in the U.S. are� Boston to New York & New York�to Washington, D.C.� Air Planes instead of High Speed Trains?� You've got to be kidding me.� How wasteful, and noisy.� For intra-continental travel trains are the way.� The French, The Spanish, The Japanese, and The Chinese are concentrating in High Speed Trains, as opposed to dabbling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zootriotus. Show zootriotus's posts

You may want to try a transit system elsewhere in america besides ny or Chicago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polpolk9. Show polpolk9's posts

NO� service still is unsafe. Only one strap to hold onto while standing . Bar is high for short people __no handicap spots to got to No fire extinguishers or emergency safety pull stations--no conductors�� aIRPORT LUGGAGE IS IN AISLE ---THE blue line is dangerous _unsafe_& crowded & hostile people ride it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kerrcromwell. Show kerrcromwell's posts

I agree.� It is the 21st century, we do not live in the days of farmers anymore.� I work 3rd shift at least once a week too.� Not having a public transportation run 24/7 is just wrong nowa days.� That is biggest thing they need to fix.� The excuses they use that they need to clean the trains or repair the tracks, why not run buses then.� Heck Orange line has been running buses on its routes for months now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPanic. Show JohnnyPanic's posts

While the Orange Line isn't that bad, it can be annoying. I take it from Haymarket every day at 5:05 and wait for over ten minutes almost every day, despite a published four minute headway. I think that they purposefully bunch rush hour trains to get them through in one fell swoop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPanic. Show JohnnyPanic's posts

Keep the bigotry to yourself. This isn't the Herald.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmonkey1. Show gmonkey1's posts

I'm not going to lie. I love the T. I currently live in Montreal where trains are automated and scheduled and always on time. But the T is still my favorite thing in the world. It has character. I lived on the green line for five years. Sure it is a pain in the rear when you are trying to get a stroller onto the greenline. But if you stay calm, allow plenty of time (which you should try to do for anything in order to reduce stress), it is a community event.

The green line would be a billion times faster if cars were banned (which I think they should be). Drivers are for the most part friendly. They are only not friendly when, like anyone, they are stressed. Which is due to being rude to, traffic, all that sort of fun stuff.

Why does nobody else feel the love?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey4036. Show bailey4036's posts

I would say that the Green line is the worst.� Very slow,crowded and dirty.� I am on the orange line now, and pretty happy with it.� It is consistantly on time and not that crowded.�

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crimson22. Show crimson22's posts

I agree with the general sentiment that the T needs a countdown to the next train, atleast at the large stations.� I lived in DC for a month, and was spolied with the metro.� It� literally said "7 minutes" on a sign.� HOW EASY IS THAT? You don't need a car to get anywhere, because it goes everywhere, it's reliable, clean, and runs till almost 4am (fewer drunk drivers)!� I'm tired of the 'it's older' excuse for the 'T'.� Imagine if we spent the big dig money on public transportation!� No matter how many lanes you build, traffic catches up to fill the void immediately.� I take the orange line right now, because I have to for the moment, but I am looking for a city apartment so I can avoid it.� Sick, smelly, rude, dirty, noisy, cold, sticky, wet, unreliable are the adjectives I'd use to describe the orange line. Also, the seats are built for midgets.� Glad I got all that off my chest!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dot-to-tokyo. Show dot-to-tokyo's posts

First let me begin by saying when I lived in Boston for 30+ years, the T was always the last option. Growing up in the city has its benefits, one being the T. However, taking the T comes as close to nullifying that benefit as anything. Living in Dorchester, the stations, up until recently, were disgusting, crime ridden, and often exposed to the elements, depending on which station you used. The lowest elements seemed to always find their way on to the T where they #1 often didn't pay to get on (often in plain few of T employees) and #2 flaunted their rudeness and disrespect with not a single T employee there to control the situation.

The problem of crime on the T is an issue that just doesn't seem to go away. How often do we see T police sitting outside the station in their cars or driving down streets in the city?? Granted, the T police must respond and police the bus lines as well, but in all honest, how often have you seen uniformed T police just riding the cars or staying in a station in clear view? Not often, I can tell you that.

For all those who love the Red Line, the same recurring theme is in place: Cambridge service is great. That may be good and true, but the Red Line is more than service between South Station and Alewife. When I lived in Boston, I recently moved and will come to that in a moment, I would often have to wait for 15-20 mins for a train to get into the city from Dorchester and, even worse, on the commute home have to watch 2 Braintree trains go by for every Ashmont. What's that all about? Those of you who do take the Red Line Ashmont service know exactly what I'm talking about. Not to even mention the amount of disabled trains and slow pace those trains seem to take.

The Green Line is just as bad. It's overcrowded, dirty, and unreliable. The Orange Line is not the safest of options either. Why is it that people need to be shot, stabbed, or killed for the media and government to actually address the issue of crime and intimidation on the Transit system?

The T needs a complete overhaul. The union, with it's salary, benefits, and protection, are actually hurting the service. Money is not allocated for better use and T employees, all in all, are not held accountable for lazy and rude behavior.

I have used the subways in Spain and found them to be ok. I've used the subways in Paris and found them to be large but just as bad as the T. The NYC Metro is a notch above the T, but not by much. How about offering those "buy 5 get 1 free" deals that NYC offers when buying fares? How about allowing people to feel they got a deal when riding the T? The London Underground is great!! great service and reliable. You pay accoring to where you go, not the flat fee the T charges. This is also true in Japan, where i currently live.

Using Tokyo as the example, the trains are 99.99% on time to the minute. If late, then only by 1-4 minutes on average and most of the time this is due to accidents which, if you are riding the trains, you can see which lines (the Tokyo transportation system has too many train lines to count) are delayed on a tv screen on nearly all trains. It's amazing how well run this system is. During rush hour, trains run literally every few minutes out of each station. The downside to the rush hour here is that people are packed in these trains like sardines. But people are generally well behaved and keep to themselves. The trains are a bit pricey here, although 2 things help counter and ill feeling about this. #1 companies generally foot the cost of their employees transportation costs for the month. #2 the trains run with such efficiency and to so many areas, that wherever you need to get to, you can using the trains here. The train station is literally the epicenter for all neighborhoods.

To those complaining about the T and it's lack of operation past midnight to coincide with the bars and clubs closing, I think you're missing the point. The T has no obligation to conduct service past midnight although it would benefit alot of people who work over night shifts. The main issue is keeping these bars and clubs open until 5am when the T resumes running. Why is that never discussed? If I may go off on a tangent, if a bar or club closes at 2am, last call is generally 1:30am. So people binge drink knowing that their is a window of opportunity to drink when out in Boston. so we have people drinking heavily from, on average, 11pm-1:30am. Then these bars and clubs close forcing all these people out in the streets with the patrons from other bars and clubs vying for the few cabs the good city of Boston has given medallions to. It's a recipe for disaster. Keep these places open until 5am allowing patrons to trickle out at their convenience and without encouraging mass exodus' and binge drinking.

Sorry for the long post but that's my $0.02

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from serenity1212123. Show serenity1212123's posts

Let me make a case for the T's charm, though. It's in the spirit of the city to gripe about this (plus everything else.) That's part of this city's charm.

The T is similar. There's a rule of thumb that if you're waiting for BCDE at Park st, two of the three lines you don't need will show up first. Behind the completely disinterested face some T employees put on it, the MBTA is a wildly unpredictable place: if you are running late, you can, sometimes, make it anyway--also, sometimes you were at the stop early, and wound up 45 minutes late, or you're stopped over Charles street, desperately counting down the seconds, or the T forces a do or die decision on you at 8 in the morning when you're not really awake, as in: "Wha, a delay? Do I gamble it'll be five minutes? Or try running the rest of the way? Arg, doors closing!" And then you get to spend the next half hour living with your decision.

Really, the T adds a drama my life would not otherwise have.

�And when I commuted regularly, I had this sense that the merciful repreives and bitter punishments made sense in terms of some larger cosmic order.

After all, there's ettiquette of body-language and attitude you have to learn to keep the Bus and Trolley drivers happy (if you want them to continue to wait, and you're not that near that open door, run!) In the same way, you get this instinct for the Gods of the T and what pleases them and angers them. So, this B train is running express all of a sudden? Hm, I guess the gods of the T were angry I cut it so close back at Central Square.

On top of that, the T is quite beautiful to look at. It has this dusty, declasse glory. Those bleak, orange line platforms in winter, which, in the morning, really movingly capture the essential hopelessness of humanity.
    There's always some form of construction going on, and that stripped down look is exciting (I loved the construction on the way out to Lechmere a few years back.) Sometimes the drivers forget to close the curtains and you can see the headlights winding through the endless tunnels. The Boylston stop has everything: the old trains , the big curve, the wrought iron, and those abandoned tunnels where god-know-what lives. Remember the old park street green line stop? Green tiles? Green Lamps? As a kid, that was like Sesame street--I'm in the green line! And what about all the funny, slightly odd art on the Red line?

So, even though I'd say each line sucks in it's own way, the T really does have it's own charm; it has character. If everything just worked, you'd never have fond memories of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Are you a native Bostonian? I am, and I call the Green line the trolley. People who are not native or didn't grow up in the city never know what I'm talking about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

And by the way, which subway line is the best

The HO' Train!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

No,�there was this WWFcharacter called the Godfather who would say something like: "It's time to roll a fatty and step onboard the Ho-Train!!!!" When he would come into the ring, he would always be accompanied by around 10 of his "female valets"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamu. Show Shamu's posts

People still listen to P diddy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

I used to always root for Bob Backlund to lose, couldn't stand that guyThe best�character imo was�"IRS" (aka Irwin R Shyster) who used to come into the ring in a suit and tie and holding a briefcase that he would later use as a "foreign object". His finishing move was called either the "Audit" or the "Write off" (I can't remember which) and he would always accuse his opponents of being tax cheats

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

It will always have an audience. I�love the characters they come up with, and it was always cool when a good guy would turn bad or vice versa.� Superfly Snuka was my favorite when I was a kid. I can't�remember the�russian wrestlers name but I remember�he used to insist on singing the russian national anthem and the crowd would yell "Russia Sucks" or "USA USA"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

"The unpredicable Johnny Rodz"--obsure bad guy from the 1980s

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Indeed he did, you can go on YouTube for an episode of Pipers Pit where he hits Jimmy Snuka over the head with a coconut

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

I think several wrestlers have used it, but I believe Nature Boy Ric Flair is the most famous of them.....WOO!!!