why are speed limits not enforced in Massachusetts.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: why are speed limits not enforced in Massachusetts.

If you can't handle a car at 80, you shouldn't be driving.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

I actually found it to be alot worse down south.  Our highway speed limits are usually 65mph.  Down south the speed limits are 75 and sometimes 80 however people do not travel any slower than 85 or 90 (of course, we are way more populated and "on top of each other" up here).  I was really enjoying the car trip and the fact that I could "speed" down south.  What made me nervous was my friend who didn't feel comfortable driving past 70 whenever she was behind the wheel.  I had to keep telling her to drive faster because it is a serious risk when you drive that speed down there.

I came back home and had a very hard time adjusting to the slower speeds.  I'm finally back to my "old granny" driving speed but it took a while and getting pulled over for speeding (so there is at least one officer who enforces the speed limit in MA) to get there.

I do agree with your post though. I see troopers flying by me going 85 or 90 in a 65 (lights are not on and they don't appear to be trying to catch up or follow anyone).  So, I feel that is pretty much the problem.  The general public sees that and thinks that they can do it too.  Police in this state should lead by example but I've found that some of them violate the law more than your average citizen.

And obviously drive at a speed you are comfortable with as long as it is around the posted mph recommendation.  I think this other person's comment is silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

People should just slow down. I don't care if you are in the north or the south. I see way too many accidents around here. People speed, don't signal and tailgate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from estep11. Show estep11's posts

ChiefHowie , i bet you stop everytime you enter the highway and stay in the left lane to slow down drivers going over 45..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

We are driving cars designed to go over 80mph no problem.  ON highways deisgned to handle 85 mph.  But we are told to only go 55 or 65.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: why are speed limits not enforced in Massachusetts.:
    [QUOTE]We are driving cars designed to go over 80mph no problem.  ON highways deisgned to handle 85 mph.  But we are told to only go 55 or 65.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

The cars and the highways can handle 85, the people driving the cars on those highways can't. That is the problem. Speed is one of the biggest factors in crashes (both in their cause and in their results). You should never be going over 65 on a highway. Period. I used to drive for a living. And I saw so many accidents that were a direct result of your kind of thinking. Once you are at 85 on a highway (especially a massachusetts highway like 128), it is so easy to lose control, and it is so easy not to have enough time to react to a surprise situation. Don't go 85 around me buddy, because I call the cops every time I see that BS.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agulhas. Show agulhas's posts

Please ... if you can't handle the heat then get out the fire.  Speed limits are ridiculously low in this country and speed is just one contributory factor in accidents ... cell phones, ill behaved children, and fiddling with the radio are usually the actual cause.  Driving at 85mph is perfectly safe if you're focusing on the road and in a roadworthy car.

It's the other idiots that worry me ... the ones who sit in the left or middle lane doing 60mph and should move over right, the ones distracted on the cell phones, the ones who aren't aware that cars are equipped with mirrors, and the tailgaters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Forum I agree  But the troopers and cops do the same thing. I think it is a culture. I have a Trooper friend, who was told, only stop cars that are driving dangerously, not speed. [/QUOTE]

IMO that is a terrible policy. You want to improve other aspects of driving, start with speed. People need to know that such reckless behavior isn't tolerated.

[QUOTE]  Driving the speed limit saves lives and gas. I drive 90 miles up to NH. I followed the flow (fast driving) 1 hr 23 min. as a test, then the speed limit 1hr 34min saved about 1 gallon gas. cost me 11min, save $2.70  Culture /> I worked retail , a young  there worker there cut me off on the road and sped down into the parking lot , I felt bad for her assuming she was late. I got to her car she was talking on the cell phone, speed is the name of the game.     
    Posted by chiefhowie[/QUOTE]

I don't care about the flow. Just because other drivers insist on breaking the law, doesn't mean you should. They only do it, because there isn't enough enforcement. IMO the police should ticket anyone driving even a mile over the limit when possible (or at least visibly make it known such driving isn't tolerated). I am not much of a hard azz on most issues, but I've seen enough fatal accidents first hand  (because I spend so much time on the road), to understand some of the most typical causes: speeding, tailgating, weaving, failing to signal, and not reading the traffic far in advance of you (don't just look at the car in front of you, look at what obstacles the car 4 cars up is facing).

Another thing, people don't understand how physically painful serious auto accidents are. They hear the traffic reports. Maybe the caster says "1 fatality and 1 serious injury". This makes it sound so need. I hate to be graphic, but until you've seen a human face cracked like leather against a steering wheel, or hear the groans of a young woman after her head body was crushed by a compacting car, you don't appreciate how violent, unpredictable and unfair most car accidents are.

Sorry to rant, but this is an issue I take wicked seriously, and am frankly infuriated by the lightness with which it is generally treated.

While we are at it, if you are driving a big car or truck, get the F off my tail. I don't need you slamming into me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Please ... if you can't handle the heat then get out the fire.  Speed limits are ridiculously low in this country and speed is just one contributory factor in accidents ... cell phones, ill behaved children, and fiddling with the radio are usually the actual cause.[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you are talking about. You are ill informed.

Distractions are a major issue, but speed is consistently a factor in accidents and their results. This isn't about not being able to take the heat. It is about seeing a problem that is causing deaths in the country and addressing it. You might like going 80 miles an hour, but it is dangerous. When it comes to driver behavior, speed is the number one killer in auto accidents. That is irrefutable. The simple fact is, as the speed of your vehicle increases, so does your chances of being involved in an accident. There is this bad argument out there by people like you, supported by equally bad data, that says speed isn't the cause, it is actually other factors. This isn't supported by the real research.

But lets also keep in mind, even if you disagree with me about speeding. The law doesn't. If you are involved in a fatal accident, and you were speeding and at fault, you will likely face real jail time.

[QUOTE] Driving at 85mph is perfectly safe if you're focusing on the road and in a roadworthy car. It's the other idiots that worry me ... the ones who sit in the left or middle lane doing 60mph and should move over right, the ones distracted on the cell phones, the ones who aren't aware that cars are equipped with mirrors, and the tailgaters.
    Posted by agulhas[/QUOTE]

No it isn't. It is actually people like you, who think it is perfectly safe to drive fast, that put others at risk. As your speed goes up, your chances of an accident increase. And the fact is, the person going 60, is not the one who normally is involved in an accident. It is the person going over the speed limit, who can't react safely when anything unexpected happens. That is the major problem with speed.

Essentially your argument is, speeding is perfectly safe as long as other drivers don't do anything to surprise me. Were you driving 60 miles an hour, you wouldn't have to worry as much about sudden stops in traffick, people turning in front of you suddenlty, etc. It is because you are driving fast, that you can't react well.

You are an Fing moron, and I hope you get ticketed with a heavy fine before you kill someone.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If reaction time is 1.5 seconds (better if expected obstacle, worse if surprised), and you're going 65 mph, you'll go 150 ft before you even step on the brakes.  If you're going 85, you'll go 188 ft.  The difference of 38 ft might  not sound like much, but it is the equivalent of the height of a 3 story buidling.  That doesn't even take into account that stopping distance is directly proportional to the square of the speed you're traveling when you perceive the need to stop. 

So, distractions are a problem, but the pure physics of reaction and stopping times are the real issue, just to put some numbers to Forum's great points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

ForumCleaner: "...IMO the police should ticket anyone driving even a mile over the limit when possible (or at least visibly make it known such driving isn't tolerated)."

Good in theory, except they have to leave a 5-10% leeway as their radar equipment is not 100% accurate. Neither is the cars speedo. So if the limit is 65 they won't stop you if you are doing 70 as they can't prove it, unless you are willing to roll-over and not fight it. 

That said I am all for fixing cars to not be able to go above the speed-limit. What's the point making a car that can go 120mph? Manufacturers should be held to account too, in the same regard that drug-dealers are supplying junkies. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

If you drive in MA/RI you have seen this rage.

This is so true.  My favorite is when another person pulls an awful move and then has the nerve to yell at you as if you were the offender.  On Saturday, I was in a car with my sister and my baby niece.  My sister was driving well within the speed limit and some guy pulls out from a side road and completely cuts her off.  She was able to stop and avoid hitting him but decided to do a quick beep.  The guy beeps back and yells at her obviously unaware that he almost just put a baby's safety at risk.  Another winner on the road.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]ForumCleaner: "... IMO the police should ticket anyone driving even a mile over the limit when possible (or at least visibly make it known such driving isn't tolerated)." Good in theory, except they have to leave a 5-10% leeway as their radar equipment is not 100% accurate. Neither is the cars speedo. So if the limit is 65 they won't stop you if you are doing 70 as they can't prove it, unless you are willing to roll-over and not fight it.  That said I am all for fixing cars to not be able to go above the speed-limit. What's the point making a car that can go 120mph? Manufacturers should be held to account too, in the same regard that drug-dealers are supplying junkies. 
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

Just the fact that you might get pulled over (even if you can overturn the ticket in court) would make most people think twice about speeding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE] You may not be aware. A trooper was killed ,shot , by a mad driver on RT3  Kingston, thats when the non enforcement began.   I drive in the right lane, speed limit, get tailgated,screamed,finger salute all the time.  If you drive in MA/RI you have seen this rage.

Its awful. Like people don't know the rules of the road at all. Tailgating is not only rude, it is one of the most dangerous things you can do...and people do it all the time.

People can scream all they want at you, it doesn't make them right. I say go ahead and cell the police if they are driving recklessly. I do it all the time. Personally responsible for about 10-12 drivers being pulled over by the police that I know of. And proud of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why are speed limits not enforced in Massachusetts. : Its awful. Like people don't know the rules of the road at all. Tailgating is not only rude, it is one of the most dangerous things you can do...and people do it all the time. People can scream all they want at you, it doesn't make them right. I say go ahead and cell the police if they are driving recklessly. I do it all the time. Personally responsible for about 10-12 drivers being pulled over by the police that I know of. And proud of it.
    Posted by ForumCleaner[/QUOTE]

If you are going to be calling the police so often I would recommend that you at least install a small video-camera pointing out of of your windscreen. If things ever went to court at least you would have dangerous driving evidence to back up your call with. Cameras are dirt cheap thesedays, and can be voice activated (so you don't end up crashing by fiddling with it while driving!). Or you can set it to run before every journey departs. Also, what number do you call? I know it can't be 911 as that is for emergencies only, so it must be a local police station number instead, right? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why are speed limits not enforced in Massachusetts. : If you are going to be calling the police so often I would recommend that you at least install a small video-camera pointing out of of your windscreen. If things ever went to court at least you would have dangerous driving evidence to back up your call with. Cameras are dirt cheap thesedays, and can be voice activated (so you don't end up crashing by fiddling with it while driving!). Or you can set it to run before every journey departs. Also, what number do you call? I know it can't be 911 as that is for emergencies only, so it must be a local police station number instead, right? 
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

I don't feel the need to go that far (plus I think you need someone's permission to video tape them in MA).

I call 411 and asked to be connected to the police department for the city I am in at the time. usually the bigger the city, the less inclined the police are to respond (probably because they have bigger fish to fry), but smaller cities are usually pretty good about responding. You can also call the state police.

I have only called 911 once, and that was for a real medical emergency. Basically they just coordinated the local responders.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

You don't need permission to videotape, as long as there is no audio-recording, which is illegal. Video is no problemo. Thats why when you are taping a police-officer kicking the siht out of someone on the street, and he asks you if your video has audio-capabilities, he can then confiscate your camera. If it does not, however, you are all set. 

Another silly question. Is your calling the police on a hands-free bluetooth device? Otherwise it would be ironic to be breaking the law, and driving dangerously (ie handling a cell-phone), to report another person driving dangerously by speeding. 
    A little hypocritical to say the least. Or at the very least do you pull-over to make the call?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]You don't need permission to videotape, as long as there is no audio-recording, which is illegal. Video is no problemo. Thats why when you are taping a police-officer kicking the siht out of someone on the street, and he asks you if your video has audio-capabilities, he can then confiscate your camera. If it does not, however, you are all set.  Another silly question. Is your calling the police on a hands-free bluetooth device? Otherwise it would be ironic to be breaking the law, and driving dangerously (ie handling a cell-phone), to report another person driving dangerously by speeding.  A little hypocritical to say the least. Or at the very least do you pull-over to make the call?
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

I always use a hands free device in my car. My car is set up so I just click some buttons on my steering wheel and I can place calls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The research on the danger of using a cell phone in the car points to the fact that you're talking with someone who is completely unaware of the road conditions.  They keep talking and distracting you when it's a bad time.  That's why talking to a passenger isn't nearly the same distraction risk; they automatically shut up when conditions for the driver necessitate it.  And, it's why eating a hamburger with one hand and driving with other never caused a problem enough to legislate no eating in the car.

If you want to be safe, no blue tooth conversations, either.  It's not the both hands on the wheel thing, it's the all brain on the road thing that's the issue.  I used to drive a stick shift and rested my hand on the knob fairly often...I can't be the only one.  Were accident rates lessoned when we went to mostly automatics so everyone could keep their hands on the wheel instead of the shift?  Doubt it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, more evidence (anecdotal, of course) of the fact that it's the phone conversation, not the holding of the phone, that is the real problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]I read where in 3 of the 4 states that have instituted texting/driving bans, accident rates have gone up.  The prevailing theory is that, instead of texting up at eye level, they do it on their laps so they can't be seen.  WT...F! I will confess to having answered my cell while driving, but never calling anyone.  Texting while driving is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Of course, this is coming from a person who 30 years ago, could roll a joint, snort a line, drink a beer and drive at the same time - and did - a lot.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I saw this as well. It may be that the solution needs to be embedded in the tech itself (make texting not function if you are moving over 5 MPH or something). The downside would be passengers couldn't text. But I've seen enough young people almost plow into me as they are typing into their phone, that I think this problem may warrant a dramatic solution. As far as I am concerned, once you enter a vehicle, you have to play by a whole other set of rules.