Why do you live in the Boston area?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Why do you live in the Boston area?

The Boston area has received more than 40 inches of snow this winter -- and it isn't even February yet. As if that wasn't enough, temperatures are expected to plummet this weekend, and could even drop below zero. Weather like this might make even the hardiest New Englander question his or her choice to live in the Northeast.

So, why do you live in the Boston area? What about this region makes it worth enduring endless shoveling and bone-chilling temperatures for three months a year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?

I'm a Yankee. Lived in Massachusetts my entire life. I like the winter. What I don't like is blustery, brrrr. Living in the Boston area and surrounding towns, you have alternate transportation instead of driving. Walk, cab, car pool, the T, skis when we get snow.

What makes it worth enduring winter and all that shoveling is before you know it, spring is in the air and everything starts to bud and  flowers try to emerge from their hibernation. I look forward to spring because it means nature is emerging from it's winter nap and people are out and about more.Cool

I love the four seasons but I think fall is my favorite time of the year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I live here because it's where my grandparents got off the boat, and if they were still around, I believe I would have quite a few words to say to them..... Florida, Hawaii both are completely surrounded by water....

Yeah wicked pissa choice.

This post would take a 180 degree turn if it was April and not January

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogasong44. Show yogasong44's posts

came for grad school and never left - this, after turning down Ithaca College because of its snow....huh?! I was young and naive 25 years ago.  Other than disliking the snow, I love the culture, proximity to beautiful parks (Arboretum, Jamaica Pond, Public Gardens, Blue Hills, Lars Anderson) mountains and beaches in close reach, my community of friends, spiritual community, the lack of flying cockroaches (and other enormous bugs) and the relative rarity of tornadoes compared to other parts of the country. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billski. Show billski's posts

For easy access to mountains, snow and good skiing!  I love winters and big snowfalls.  In fact, I love all seasons and outdoors activities including sailing, hiking, skiing.  Weather is not something to be tolerated, but something to be embraced and enjoyed.  Look at the Canadians.  They have more outdoor activities, events and sports than we can even imagine. 

Combine that with good professional jobs, easy access to excellent healthcare, education, cultural institutions and food.  Complain all you want, but there are many backwaters in the USA that are far worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DOL2LARS. Show DOL2LARS's posts

Moved here in 1984 after living in a dozen states (none for very long) due to my career.  I had kids in school in the '80s so Mass was a good place to settle back then.  Kids are grown & gone now, but the climate's nice if you love winter (I do).  What I don't like is the quirky, unreliable spring. Overall  Mass is OK but not essential.  There's no compelling reason to stay now.  Without any sense of urgency I expect to move to DELMARVA peninsula or the midwest within a couple of years --much  less congested, pleasanter pace there. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jorgeheywho. Show jorgeheywho's posts

Kid in college and a house value that sank like the titanic.  Job could be flexible and moving to floridah asap.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHYankee66. Show NHYankee66's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    Ehh...they don't believe in evolution in Florida and Texas. Seriously, as opposed to what exactly? Detroit? Is New York having nicer weather? Or is it simply more affordable?  If it weren't for the lack of religiosity and superstition here, vs the complete dominance of it in FL and TX, I'd choose one of them. (Miami's Sodom/Gomorrah being the possible exception), I'd be under a palm tree this morning. Austin sounds pretty good, especially in January.  California is a financial wreck, stay away. Come to think of it, that's another big problem right now in Florida, though in their case it's more likely to get resolved as the economy gets momentum. Boston - a godless place where the jobs are, 
    Posted by NevskyBaby
    Nah, NevskyBaby, you'll never leave. I've read your postings and you're Boston through and through. After growing up in CT, then going off to grad school, I moved here in 1977, and left for another job is 2001 in O-HI-O, thinking it wouldn't be THAT much different. Well, not exactly. All I can say was that after 6 years, to paraphrase the old country song, happiness was O-HI-O in my rear view mirror. Don't believe all that %#$& about Midwesterners being open and friendly- in 6 years, I was never invited into the home of either of my next door neighbors, until the last week we were there when someone new moved in on one side. Where was he from? Yup, NE (Maine, to be exact).
    So why NE or Boston- I don't know exactly, but it happened with my daughter also- quit her job at LL, had offers all over the country (Boeing, Gen. Dynamics, another National Lab) and decided to stay here because well, it was Boston. Not because of  family (her hubby's from Maine and with their education and job skills, they can live anywhere) but it's a combination of so many factors. Yeah, the winters s@ck, the traffic isn't great, but where else would you want to live? Florida??? Nevskybaby, I wouldn't give you 3 months down there (and you know that, too!).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeorgePM. Show GeorgePM's posts

Living in Boston is definitely a labor of love. But once you have lived somewhere for a certain period of time you become determined to stick with it and be proud. I can't imagine living somewhere that I don't have a history in, just some random new city that I have no attachments to. We are so spoiled with sports, I love it! Sox, Pats, C's, Bruins who can complain? If they are not currently in a championship run they are on the verge or have a deep history and good memories to fall back on. Speaking of history, does it get any better for this area? Go read The Wordy Shipmates...RIGHT NOW! The winter is HORRIBLE but just when you think you can't take it anymore the Spring arrives. I LOVE the four seasons they give you a sense that things move along, I can't imagine living in SoCal where it's like 70's and sunny all the time, I like crisp Fall days and those quiet hours after a snowfall when the world seems small. I like to ski, and to go to the lakes and the shore - The Cape literally flows in my veins, it's my escape. I CANNOT STAND, and I really mean this, I CANNOT STAND how outrageously horrible Great Woods is they have literally shutdown my ability to enjoy concerts in the Summer. Traffic is a trainwreck on most major roads and the greater boston infrastructure seems to be unconscionably neglected but whatever, it's like that with a lot of older, urban eastern cities. If I had to move anywhere it would be San Francisco but you would have to pry Boston from my Cold, Dead Hands!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2003hog. Show my2003hog's posts

Original plan was to sell and move to Florida. Then the economy took a severe tumble and I lost my job after 38 years. That changed our plans abruptly. More importantly, we have young grandchildren and we would find it very difficult to move anyway.
    I can do without the snow and the cold. The older I get, the less tolerant I become of the cold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jennbob4585. Show Jennbob4585's posts

I definitely don't live in the Boston area for the weather :)

I've lived here my whole life.  My parents have lived here their whole lives and my grand-parents as well.  95% of my family and friends live here, so why leave?  The weather is worth tolerating in order to stay close to the people i care about :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveRibisi. Show SteveRibisi's posts

This is a nice place to raise kids. Boston is metropolitan without being overwhelming or overly urbanized. The weather is glorious in the late spring, summer, and into the fall. The people are straightforward and, after you get to know them, friendly. There are lots of good jobs here, especially in the medical and education fields. We bought a house in 2006 (whoops!) so we would like to stay to get some of that value back - so we may be here for the long haul. Winters can be brutal, but snow is fun once you clear it away from your house and if you don't have to drive in it while it is falling. Finally, my husband and I are able to be married here - one of the few states where gay marriage is permited. This has been a tremendous boon for our two kids and for our whole family AND we feel very grateful to Massachusetts as a result.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tallhazelnut. Show tallhazelnut's posts

I was born and bred in Boston but moved away in 1997 only to come back here.  We returned just last week to settle in and live the rest of our lives in the Greater Boston area.  We've seen how things are in other parts of the Country; Chicago, DC and Florida, and like someone said in this thread, "They don't believe in evolution in FLorida."  It's good to be back with like-minded peeps and if we get tired of the cold we'll just snowbird but we're never leaving Boston for good again!  Glad to be back!  The 'godlessness' works for me!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was born in NE, but have lived in two southern states.  I was raised with a decent vocabulary, and I couldn't use it there without getting blank stares.  Maybe this makes me a snob, but I thought it made conversation a drag.  Granted, that's not PC to say, but it was my daily experience.

I'm also here (forever) because I married a man who can't sleep on storm nights for being sooooooooooo pumped.  He asks me to NOT shovel even though I'm home all day so he can have the stress-relieving pleasure of doing it himself when he gets home from work.  He built our home near the Quabbin so he can hike, ski, snowmobile...you get the idea.  We're stayin' put.

The wood stove is cranked, and I have a nice, hot cup of tea here.   Couldn't be more toasty this frigid morning.

ETA:  NHY, don' believe all the hooey about Southerners being open and friendly, either.  It's a huge facade.  Deep, honest friendships that naturally take time to develop are a Northern thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kschmidt. Show kschmidt's posts

Love the seasons, love the proximity, love the crazy N.E. people.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwashashore. Show capecodwashashore's posts

actually I only live there for 6 months a year.  I love the warmer months and the fall.   Florida is much kinder to my body.  Miss the first storm of the season, but after that, it just is more of the same.
    They can take the girl out of Boston, but they can't take Boston out of the girl!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    Ehh...they don't believe in evolution in Florida and Texas. Seriously, as opposed to what exactly? Detroit? Is New York having nicer weather? Or is it simply more affordable?  If it weren't for the lack of religiosity and superstition here, vs the complete dominance of it in FL and TX, I'd choose one of them. (Miami's Sodom/Gomorrah being the possible exception), I'd be under a palm tree this morning. Austin sounds pretty good, especially in January.  California is a financial wreck, stay away. Come to think of it, that's another big problem right now in Florida, though in their case it's more likely to get resolved as the economy gets momentum. Boston - a godless place where the jobs are, 
    Posted by NevskyBaby
    I'm from Boston but live in Florida. It has been cold down here.  Not like Boston but still cold. The summer heat is brutal. 95 and 1--% humidity.  We probably get 6 good months without high heat or very cold weather. Plus, lots of rednecks, right wing republicans, religious zealots and old people.  Boston is much nicer, except for the extreme winters.  Boston's winters are Florida's summers. It is too hot to be outside for long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NedFlanders. Show NedFlanders's posts

I live here because of everything that New England has to offer. It is all about access and that is exactly what we have here. The list is long but i'll give it a try. Beaches, mountains, world class venues, international airport, education, hospitals, islands, depth of history, technology, good jobs, politics, religion, art, science and children's museums, world class health care, Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Revolution and Red Sox, Cape league, AAA and AA, College sports, Academic venues, The Theater and the arts, music venues, Berklee, MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, U Mass and they are only the large ones. Then you combine all of those with the four seasons and your ability to have almost every experience and opportunity is endless. A true New Englander believes that we are actually our own country and just have to tolerate the rest of the union. We will visit or reside somewhere else but will always miss being apart of such an exciting and vibrant community. In New England it runs deep.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from smarterthansharp. Show smarterthansharp's posts

I moved here in 2003 for a boyfriend who grew up here. We had met in college in Los Angeles and I had always lived on the west coast where it rarely snows. I moved away from Boston for warmer places 3 (Australia, California, New Orleans) different times since then! I have always come back. The people and culture here in Boston is too amazing to leave. There are great jobs here. My boyfriend and I are still together and now live together here. There is nothing like Boston in the summer. I have come to accept that even though there are warmer places with much better weather to live, it's not about where you are, it's about who you are with.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmheizer54. Show jmheizer54's posts

I'm originally from Northern Virginia and the ONLY reason I am still here is because my son is at UMass Amherst. I HATE shoveling the snow and can not afford to have someone plow or shovel for me!! Hopefully, I will be gone soon but not soon enough...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

I live here only because my close-knit family lives here. If we all could decide to pick up and move to a warmer clime, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patbilly. Show patbilly's posts

My heart flutters when I pass Fenway Park anytime of the year.  Where else could I get that roller coaster feeling?  Go Red Sox in 2011!!!!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts