Why do you live in the Boston area?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodharbor. Show goodharbor's posts

Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?

I'm here for the low digit license plates ... the more people who move out, the better the chance to win the RMV lottery ! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from earwax128. Show earwax128's posts

I DON'T KNOW!!!!  I AM FROM CA AND WANT TO GO BACK!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobmackay. Show bobmackay's posts

Sorry... but I DON'T live in Boston!! Left many years ago... live in Southern California. Beautiful weather 300+ days a year!! 70 degrees right now. I wear shorts when I'm not working, easily 300 days a year also. Great weather here, offsets a lot of other problems here. ...HOWEVER, there are trade-offs! The food here is mediocre at best, compared to New England seafood, for example. And nothing here compares to the awesome Italian food of the North End. No way. ... Where Boston definitely wins, is with the sports teams!! Patriots will be stronger next year, and there's no pro football at all here obviously. How pathetic!!... I guess I'll just go lie out in the sun, and feel sorry for myself as a football fan!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingpig99. Show Kingpig99's posts

My first post on Boston.com although I read the site everyday for news in the Boston area. Funny that people move away but still tuned in to their old city.

I came from another country but I consider myself a Boston native since I have lived there for more than 25 years. Now I live in the Phoenix area. It's always sunny here. I have never hated the sun that much before moving here and I have developed the worst allergies ever. I get excited when it rains because they are so rare. But when we do get rain, it rains hard(monsoon). The temps right now are 40's at night and low 70's during the day. Can't complain about that! Just today I rode my bike around the Tempe Town Lake near ASU in a T shirt. However, the ride reminded me of Charles River in Cambridge. Althought there is no match in culture, education and lifestyle between the two cities. This is the best we got here. Arizona is radically different than the northeast or even the rest of the country in weather and landscape. We can have four seasons in one day. If I miss snow, I can drive 2 hours to Flagstaff to see snow. If I want the beach, I can drive 5 hours to San Diego. But when summer comes, forget it. Stay indoors or you'll get a very quick tan from the sun at 116 degrees. The dry heat doesn't make any difference, you'll still sweat. Went back to Boston last summer for a few months, the humidity was killing me. I thought I was immune to heat.

Came back to AZ, but quickly missed Boston again. The best seafood in the world is in Boston. I love those fried clams! Can't get those sweet juicy steamers anywhere else. You are so spoiled to be living in NE. Whenever I see a car with Mass plates here I would call my wife right away and tell her "guess what? I just saw a car from Massachusetts!"
    If I ever get a chance to move out of state again, I will move back to MA or another NE state. I have got a nice 3500SF house in a nice gated neighborhood here in the Valley of the Sun, anyone interested?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from barbdi. Show barbdi's posts

I live here because it has all of the best elements of the rest of the country in one convenient little package.  We have the best schools, industry, seasons, beaches, sports teams, shopping, dining, recreation, PEOPLE, tolerance, humor, integrity, healthcare, architecture, history, and attitude!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrownAle. Show BrownAle's posts

New England is beautiful, and we get the variation of seasons and real weather.  Yes, it can be too cold, too snowy, too wet, too hot.  But a lot of times it is just ducky. Lots of things to do outdoors and indoors.  I like to ski, hike, sail, & bike, and you can do it all here.  Culture ans sports?  Check, check. The downside could be some of the residents who like to complain about everything.  They think Florida is where it's at.  Are you kidding me??  Apart from a few nice beaches, Florida is totally depressing.  Strip malls everywhere, and an unbearable summer.  No thanks.

I have traveled much of the world and seen some wonderful places.  New England is up there among the best. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver1. Show madriver1's posts

I was born in Boston, and have lived in the Metrowest area most of my life, except for a short bit during college.  My family is here, my husband's family is here, and all our memories are here.

It's getting harder and harder each year, but I guess I'm willing to hang around during the winter because it makes the Spring seem so much better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IButterfly, I feel your pain!  Sorry to hear it's still the same and that you're stuck there...ugh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dottied. Show dottied's posts

For the sox silly, oh yea and the pats, banner 18 and tim thomas. Best sports city, plus the north end, quincy market, dunkin donuts everywhere... The 4 season's are the best, winter not great but the anticipation for
    spring is awesome. Don't worry Pats fans, Bill and Tom will get us to the promised land at least 2 more times.... Keep the Faith!
    I forgot, can walk almost anywhere!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

We're having an extreme winter right now. Be glad you're in Florida!

The real reason I still live here is that I can't afford to move out. Yes, the dirty little secret of MA:

You can live here, but don't get sick, or die, and don't think for one minute we won't tax you so much that you can never hope to save enough to leave.

It's also on a business part. I learned one thing attending a business expo last year at the BCEC:
     MA, and Boston in particular, don't want big businesses. They want the mom and pop stores back. Only problem is the rent is so high here that mom and pop can't hope to pay it.
     If I ever get my business idea off the ground, it's going to NH.

On the plus side, Boston does have its share of conventions, of which I can usually be found in. It's also got one hell of a gaming community (video, board, card, RPG, LARP).

If only there was somewhere to put the snow? Wait, we can dump it all on the state house. At least that way they'd have a real exuse to not show up to work.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Auntiev. Show Auntiev's posts

I no longer know why, the cold and snow froze my brain. Considering FLA in the near future. LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lc41. Show lc41's posts

Husband's job ( a great job, thank you God!) is HERE. I fantasize about a warmer climate, but seriously, where else would I go? Boston is liberal and educated (for the most part), and fairly cultured. I live near the ocean (which I must have in order to breathe and live). Winters are the worst (love those filthy snowbanks), but every other season is wonderful. Schools are decent, and as a teacher, I don't ever want to deal with a school committee that thinks creationism is a viable alternative. So I guess this is home despite my constant winter weather whining! Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lc41. Show lc41's posts

To the guy moving to TX...'cause we are *what*??? Moon bats or something....??? Whatever.....we are too liberal for you I guess. God forbid everyone have access to healthcare AND education all at once!  Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mars. Show Mars's posts

From here and school is keeping me here but anticipating my departure.  Some things about this place just don't sit well with me such as a lack of happy hour and the terrible weather. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from abart76. Show abart76's posts

It's 80 degrees every day in S FL and we have the most beautiful women in the country but other than that I miss Boston. Oh how I miss Fenway Park and my beloved Red Sox. I'm stuck with the Marlins. One last thing, weed is decriminalized in MA!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Like a lot of people, it is the type of work I do.  Jobs in what I do are fairly scarce outside of here, L.A., San Fran, and maybe Chicago.  When I retire, gone baby, gone. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

^^^^
    Everyone will celebrate that day. Really skeeter there are McDonalds all over the world so you don't have limit yourself to just Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    [QUOTE]^^^^ Everyone will celebrate that day. Really skeeter there are McDonalds all over the world so you don't have limit yourself to just Boston.
    Posted by lawboy[/QUOTE]

So, you are against honest work?  Figures.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    [QUOTE]^^^^ Everyone will celebrate that day. Really skeeter there are McDonalds all over the world so you don't have limit yourself to just Boston.
    Posted by lawboy[/QUOTE]

On the quote:  actually, what he said was " No New Texas"

Stop taking yourself so seriously.  no one else is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In Response to Why do you live in the Boston area?:
    [QUOTE]The Boston area has received more than 40 inches of snow this winter -- and it isn't even February yet. As if that wasn't enough, temperatures are expected to plummet this weekend, and could even drop below zero. Weather like this might make even the hardiest New Englander question his or her choice to live in the Northeast. So, why do you live in the Boston area? What about this region makes it worth enduring endless shoveling and bone-chilling temperatures for three months a year?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]
    I'm here for the Dropkick Murphy's and the good food.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Well there are times when I really wonder, especially this never ending winter.  But Spring is on the way and I just snagged great tickets for Ray LaMontagne at the Bank of America Pavillion for June 1st.......

BTW, the poliitics site has gone to he77 and is known as the land of the beKool Tool.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Can't sell my house for enough to buy a new one down south yet.....soon as the housing market gets better...I'm gone....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IButterfly. Show IButterfly's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

IButterfly, I feel your pain!  Sorry to hear it's still the same and that you're stuck there...ugh.

Hi there!

Was just reviewing old posts of mine here. Guess what? Made it back to Boston August 2011. Not caring for Waltham too much and can't find good doctors or work. Still, glad to be out of NC, which now wants to leave the United States.

Hope you're doing well. Yup. Loving the temperature today!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Butterfly.  Welcome back. :)  

Hope everyone survived the deep freeze last week!  We burned enough wood for a regular 2 weeks in those few days.