William Flynn/Gunman in Smart Case

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from egomaniac. Show egomaniac's posts

I have the complete opposite opinion. He murdered another person in cold blood and he needs to complete the sentence that was given to him. If keeping him in jail lessens the pain somewhat for the victim's family, that's as good as any reason to keep up locked up.

If you can honestly tell me that if this man had murdered your son/brother in the same fashion, you still would want him released then God bless you for you are a far more forgiving person than I.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pepperlevine. Show pepperlevine's posts

It would be a different story if it were your child he murdered. He deserves to stay in prison, You do the crime , you pay the time, thats what you get for being a murderer. At least he can cry, poor Greg is six feet under. Maybe, someone else would have done it, you may be right but they didn't he did, and he is right where he belongs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bdaniluk. Show bdaniluk's posts

I don't think he should be released. What kind of message would that send? It would send the message that you can kill somebody and even though you got life in prison you can still get out early. He NEEDS to to at least the minimum sentence. One thing you should look at is what if it was your loved one that was executed? Would you let the killer out early? And then if you did and they killed again would you feel any responsibilty or guilt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Although I have a fairly rigid opinion of the judicial system and punishment for heinous crimes in general, I feel Flynn should be freed. He shows genuine remorse for a murder committed under duress and the influence of Pamela Smart, his teacher and a manipulative sociopath. He has had ample to to reflect on his actions and come to terms with his involvement and lack of good judgment. May the family of Greg Smart find it in their hearts to forgive and I hope William Flynn is given a chance to do something constructive with his life, if released.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soupy103. Show soupy103's posts

Let the Judge decide?

Soupy,

Ex-New Hampshire 1996.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Yes, I do believe he was. In my opinion, here was a kid who obviously lacked self esteem and Pam Smart made him feel good and wanted and loved. People like Pam Smart have a way selecting the weak and manipulating them. I consider this to be a form of bullying. I understand it does not take away the fact that he committed a terrible crime yet feel had it not been for Pamela Smart's heartless and selfish agenda, he would not have entertained the thought or found himself in a situation to commit a murder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

"Probably a relative".

Not even close and when it comes to punishment for murder I believe in the death penalty. Sometimes a rare case comes along that does not fit the typical mold and I feel this is one of them. Not everything is cut and dry.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from realestatebroker. Show realestatebroker's posts

Yes, let Mr. Flynn go free. Out of fairness, we ought to free all convicts who feel bad (or say they do), and who have received a GED. Especially due to prison overcrowding, and for the sake of mercy, let's give all convicted murderers a free pass.

Hopefully you know that the above paragraph is purely sarcastic. He might have been in a vulnerable state when he committed the murder, but there are millions of alienated kids out there, the vast majority of whom never commit murder. Indeed, there are many kids in far worse situations than he ever was, and are they all pulling triggers? This guy is a murderer. He got what he deserved.

That whole presentation by Flynn was pathetic. No - one in today's society wants to take any responsibility for what they do. This whole matter has already been decided - he received his sentence and he should serve his minimum, at the very least. I wonder how they even got a hearing.

And how would this have happened without Flynn? Are you so cynical that you believe there are basically an unlimited number of murderers out there, some of whom were in love with Pam Smart?

I continue to be amazed at how low people's standards are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtiger. Show dtiger's posts

He received a sentence and I don't know why he's back in court wasting tax payers $.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigon. Show saigon's posts

I must be hallucinating but how can so many people show so much sympathy to a man simply because he cries and says "I'm sorry". I know he was a kid when he killed Greg Smart and there is no doubt that he is remorseful for the heinous crime he committed for his teacher/girlfriend. Of course, poor Pam still denies involvement but we know better. The fact remains that Billy Flynn held a gun to Greg Smart's head and pulled the trigger. Seventeen years is not enough time for the crime. Anyone who thinks it is should simply sit back, close your eyes and ask yourself. What if it was my brother or son or nephew that was murdered in cold blood? If you can still say "yes,let him out" then either you are not being honest or you are living in the bizarro world.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from booboo22222222. Show booboo22222222's posts

take him outside and shot him, when he is begging for his life shot him again. this is what he did to greg smart. he did this once, should he get the chance to do it again? no

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcoy2004. Show tcoy2004's posts

Funny how William Flynn is trying to get out early. Why because is married now ? Because he helps with a charity? Did he not have plea agreement in which his original sentence was reduced from 40+ years to 28 because he was young? Sounds like he got off then. Now he wants that reduced too? Why because he was a model prisioner? What he did was no accident. Someone died by his hands. He had no mercy to Greg when he held the gun to the back of his head and pulled the trigger. He is a cold blooded killer. Why should society have any mercy for someone like that? What if your family member was next to die by his hands because he was let out early? I understand woman can make you do things you really don't want to do, but regardless of that you are still responsible for you own actions. Now he must finish paying the price of his actions that was handed to him and now has to act like a man and finish paying the price. If he suckers everyone and does get out, then that just makes even more a mockery of the US justice system.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

Prisons are overcrowded because of the stupid, immoral, counterproductive, idiotic, did I say stupid, yes I did, so called war on drugs. It has wasted more money and more lives than just about anything this country has done. If we had a rational public health based drug policy in this country, there would be plenty of room for murderers like Mr. Flynn.

It's sad all around but I feel he needs to serve the sentence given to him. He's lucky to be getting out at all. Unless he was mentally incapacitated, 16 is old enough to know better than to put a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger. These are truly the people who belong in jail and belong there for the longest sentences.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Of course, you can't really discuss something like this without being called sanctimonious and liberal, blah blah blah. Texas has the right idea? Sure, if you think executing retarded people is the way to go.

I know people will get really mad at me for saying this, but sometimes families in prominent cases like this become professional victims and get used to all the publicity - after 17 years I would hope for a little bit of peace because you are only hurting yourself by walking around in a rage. Greg Smart's brother's tantrum in the courtroom looked like showboating to me, He could have portrayed his family's pain more effectively if he had spoken in a dignified way and said things about his brother and how the death had affected his parents and him, rather than pointing and screaming at Bill Flynn.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, I cannot say how I would react because (thank God) some 16 year old punk did not kill my brother. You know the difference between right and wrong at 16. He should remain in prison. Of course he says he's sorry, he wants to get out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

It is just my opinion, after all. But I think people should be able to disagree without the vitriol often found on these boards.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

"But I think people should be able to disagree without the vitriol often found on these boards."

Now THAT I agree with you on!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

No, I'm not nuts, I'm pretty sane. It's just my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I am not in any way minimizing Greg Smart's death. I simply think his brother would get his message across better if he spoke rationally about how the death affected his family instead of screaming and pretending he was shooting Bill Flynn. That was all I said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

And BTW, Greg Smart's father accepted Bill Flynn's apology. He does not want him released, but he believes he is truly remorseful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Nobody is "condoning" Billy Flynn's actions - who said anything of the sort? I think that considering his age and all of the other circumstances that he is probably a safe person to parole. I am also a mother, and I think of this from the point of view of someone who has teenagers - I think it is a tough time for many kids even under the best of circumstances and I do think that Pam Smart is the one that should remain in jail. He was 16.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Right - disagreeing with you makes one a marxist weenie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Believe me, I would never confuse my son with the teenage Bill Flynn (no comparison, thanks!!) . I just think that teenagers do not think as rationally as adults do. And again, I am not minimizing Greg Smart's life. I remember the case quite well, and I have thought all along that Pam Smart is the one who should be in jail for life. Again, it's just my opinion. We've all had losses in our lives and, no, I can't imagine what having a child murdured would be like. But that's why we have a judicial system and don't take matters into our own hands.

I am sure this judge is not taking this decision lightly, so whatever he thinks I will have to think is the right thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

I'm glad I'm not the judge in this case.

Sections
Shortcuts