Women playing in men's tourneys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

A woman golfer is suing a Dennis golf club for excluding her from a men's only tournament last spring. Do you think the club is right or wrong for keeping her out of the tournament? Is having another tournament for women a good alternative? Have you ever been excluded from an event or club because of your gender or other difference?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayfan2004. Show fenwayfan2004's posts

So why do they allow a womens only gym (Healthworks) in Boston? Attention liberal hypocrites that is unconstitutional too!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sickofmass. Show sickofmass's posts

She's a clown. She may have made it into the tournament if she signed in as Juan Epstein. Sweet fro!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sickofmass. Show sickofmass's posts

OMFG, the only idiot here is you. When did it become illegal for a bunch of guys to play golf?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

So why do they allow a womens only gym (Healthworks) in Boston? Attention liberal hypocrites that is unconstitutional too!!!!They won a lawsuit several years ago against a male who sued because he felt discriminated against. The club's argument was that "some women" would feel uncomfortable with a male present in the facilities and that it would be too expensive to build a mens locker room. The fact of the matter is that if�it's a�club, you should have the right to let anyone in you want and not let anyone it you don't want.���

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

I'm a male, I like Curves gym can I be allowed to work out there????Absolutely not! And if you put up a fuss you better expect to get an earful from the NOW gang and the beautiful ladies of P-town and Northampton.......��

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

From the article:

The single-digit-handicap golfer says she simply wanted to improve her game by competing with players better than herself.

Sorry, but that's crap. This is not basketball or tennis or some other sport where you compete directly against other people. If your swing sucks or doesn't suck, or if you don't read the greens well, its not because of the people you in the foursome with.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

��� As I woman, I completely agree with you.� She should play in another tournament.� This is a joke and she is making a fool out of herself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

Why is it always unconstitutional and sexist when a woman is excluded, but it's perfectly ok to have an all women's gym, or the league of women voters, or an all women's college, etc. etc. etc.� This lady needs a date!Don't forget the old "Bonnie Belle" road race on Columbus Day! What's it called now, the Tufts 5K?And another thing, why are all the NBA dancers and NFL cheerleaders female?? What if a man wants to try out as a Celtics dancer or a Patriots cheerleader???���

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from noparticularagenda. Show noparticularagenda's posts

This woman just wants to compete with similarly skilled golfers.� If she's playing to a single digit handicap she's probably not finding a lot of challenge in women-only events.� A player should be allowed to compete up the skill chart.� What's the worst that can happen?� Some male egos get bruised?� Men with high handicaps should play from the appropriate tee but we'll never see that happen.� Go from the tips and top the shot 50 yards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppa. Show poppa's posts

It really surprises me that we are still having these kinds of discusions.� The club directors or whomever made the decision to exclude this person from playing in this tournament ought to be fired!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikemass. Show mikemass's posts

I generally agree with the idea that private clubs should be allowed to do whatever they please (and even, to some extent, discriminate in choosing members). I'm not a lawyer, but I think the courts have generally upheld this. This is why Curves is allowed to exclude men.

However, this is a town golf course, funded (I assume) by taxes and considered a public accommodation.� It wasn't clear in the article, but I think the tournament itself is also a town-sponsored event. This makes it a murkier issue. I'm not sure if a town or other public accommodation is allowed to discriminate in such a way. Of course, the courts may decide that the "separate but equal" men's and women's tournaments are sufficiently non-discriminatory. Time will tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chicortiz. Show chicortiz's posts

Equal rights really means special preferences for everybody except Straight, White, Males.�THE END!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from serafina. Show serafina's posts

No, this is not like Curves or Healthworks.� Those are private clubs, not publicly funded ones like the Dennis golf course.� In fact, about ten years ago a Boston man sued Healthworks for sex discrimination, and won.� http://www.kazarosian.com/articles4.htmHowever, in response the state legislature changed the law to exempt health clubs from the law.� So right now, yes, Curves and Healthworks can say "no" to men joining.� If you're upset, take it up with your state rep.This golf course is not exempt.� It's not private, it's public, so the rules are even stricter.� The fact that they have separate womens and mens tournaments may not hold up to scrutiny.� As the article points out -- and Annika Sorenstam proved in real life -- golf's handicap system can provide an objective way to measure player performance regardless of sex.� So what rational reason could there be to have separate tournaments?��"We just like it that way" is not good enough for a public facility like this, IMHO.� And yes, IAAL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mck444. Show mck444's posts

I am a woman and also a golfer, and I feel that this woman is indeed being selfish and unrealistic.� First of all, if she wants to improve her game by playing with better golfers, she should find better golfers to play with on her own.� This tournament should not be viewed as her personal training ground.Secondly, if she is allowed to play on the basis that she is so good, then how do the tournament coordinators deal with other women who would like to play?� Do women need to meet some handicap threshold in order to qualify, whereas the men simply have to be men?I like to play golf with men and to do so, I enter co-ed tournaments.� I also like to play golf with women and to do so, I enter women-only tournaments.� There are plenty of options for everyone.� Don't expect the world to change just for you.� Sometimes men like to play sports with just men and I believe they have every right to do so -- and ditto for women.� As long as the town is providing opportunities for everyone, I feel they're being fair.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chicortiz. Show chicortiz's posts

Women should have the right and priviledge to attend Military School, but just not be subject to the draft, why?It should be against the law to have Men-only schools, but the law should provide Woman -only schools, why?we can go on all day about this hypocrisy, it's OK to discriminate against STRAIGHT�THE END!!�

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from voicemania. Show voicemania's posts

She should have signed up as Alan Joyce, put on a sports bra, and nobody would�have been�the wiser.-Richard Simmons

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from airjer. Show airjer's posts

Did�the reporter�ask Elaine if it would be OK for men with high (as opposed to her low) or no handicaps to play in women's tournaments? I'm sure I would be excluded even if I had a very high handicap and would not likely be much of a threat to most of the women in the tournament. But if she wins her suit then men would likewise be allowed to participate in women's tournaments. It can't work both ways.What about sports for youth, high school and college. Should a boy be allowed to participate in field hockey or softball? What about women's basketball because he wasn't good enough to make the men's team. And what about Women's only fitness centers. Its funny how men can't have their own exclusive clubs but women can.I understand what she is saying. To become better at something you have to play against better players. But to tell an organization that they have to include a woman in a men's tournament (or a man in a women's tournament) is not right. The repercussions are far reaching. Perhaps she should be working with clubs to create a tournament open to any golfer who meet certain requirements such as having a certain handicap. Then women can be included and the tournament would be rather competitive which would be good for all involved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Don't expect the world to change just for you.�Great post, and I think that statement is pretty much at the heart of this matter. Do women need to meet some handicap threshold in order to quality, whereas the men simply have to be men?Not as far as I know. Handicaps allow people of all skill levels to compete on a level playing field. Gender is not�really�an issue. �I have never played in a tournament where you needed to have a certain handicap to qualify, but they may exist.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whosewoods. Show whosewoods's posts

I believe this public course is wrong to�segregate its tournaments based upon gender. Having another tournament for women is not an acceptable alternative. Yes, I have been excluded, in all sports, but I grew up before Title IX.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hootch. Show hootch's posts

She's a 3 handicap from the women's tees undoubtedly.� Let her play from the blues and see how she fares.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine555. Show sunshine555's posts

But this is a PUBLIC golf course, right? Anyone, male or female, should be allowed to play if it's open to the public. Private clubs reserve the right to be exclusive. But as a taxpayer in Mass. she should be able to participate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from batoutofhell. Show batoutofhell's posts

Honestly, what are guys so afraid of? Afraid you might get beaten by a girl?

Seriously, I've played many sports against guys, on a level playing field (i.e no special accomodations) and beaten many. Whether football, tennis, softball or even shufflboard, what has the reaction been? the guys get mad, furious even. How dare I beat them at their own game? Why do you feel more humiliated if a woman beats you than a guy? What's your problem?

Guys, in a tournament, if you don't make the cut, you don't get to proceed. If a woman meets the criteria (and this woman was no lousy golfer) then let her play. If she does well, great! If she doesn't, she and dad go home.

We've faced enough discrimination over the years. We weren't allowed to compete in the Olympics, now we're doing well. Women couldn't run in the Boston marathon for years. We've broken barriers and improved over the last 30 yearss (thanks to title IX), but men have always stood in the way of our progress.

Geez, lighten up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Public v. Private is a non-issue here. Its not analgous to the school systems or public transportation. Closed tournaments are held at municpal courses�all the time. �

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

She's a 3 handicap from the women's tees undoubtedly.� Let her play from the blues and see how she fares.That was addressed in the article.� You might have seen it had you read it.� She intends to compete on the same tees as the other competitors.� Otherwise the whole conversation would be meaningless. Most women do not have the strength or stature to compete against most men in most sports.� This woman, in this town, in this competition, is�an exception.��The criteria should be skill, not gender.�