Would you hire me based on this cover letter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Would you hire me based on this cover letter?

Most employers would like an applicant to tell them the truth. But the truth is something an employer really doesn’t want to hear. I’m not looking to collect a 25th anniversary retirement package complete with a gold watch. In the here and now after 2008; nothing surprises me because nothing is guaranteed. Not jobs, not salaries, positions, pensions or benefits. Am I well grounded, diverse, intelligent to handle multi-tasking? The answer to all those questions is yes. I didn’t spend a good portion of my life in technology without picking up a few abilities in both the use and handling of ordinary equipment as well as being able to think.

I see myself writing and creating. I see myself living and not dying. I see myself enjoying what I do for the money that compensates hard work without rewarding failure or a lack in productivity. I’m not applying to shine your shoes, wipe your nose or clean your toilets. I am an educated African American with the ability to do great and useful things as a contribution to society. That’s the truth; like it or not.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

An employer named "EJ" e-mailed a response telling me it was pretty offensive.
    He pointed out the one sentence you see in bold as what offended him the most.

He said it offended him so much; he just had to respond and offer his " two cents ". He even went so far as to offer me examples of professionalism from a cover letter and resume' of an applicant he didn't hire. 

I ask you - what the hell sense does that make? 

Let's get something straight.  It's pretty obvious being mean, nasty and yes; offensive seems to work. Why?  Because otherwise applications; cover letters and resume's  ( no matter how they are worded professionally ) get ignored, passed over and just are generally not stand alone pieces of work.

This isn't the first time I wrote something pretty salty or offensive in either a cover letter or an e-mail message containing my cover letter and resume' attached.

It seems the only thing that gets noticed and responded to.  

What is the normal response I get when I'm not being nasty or offensive? 

Thank you very much for applying with our company, you do not meet our qualifications however we will keep your cover letter and resume' on file for six months.

Anyone want to tell me that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Re: Would you hire me based on this cover letter?

Let's get something straight.  It's pretty obvious being mean, nasty and yes; offensive seems to work. Why?  Because otherwise applications; cover letters and resume's  ( no matter how they are worded professionally ) get ignored, passed over and just are generally not stand alone pieces of work
    ==================

How's that philosophy workin' out for ya?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Let's get something straight.  It's pretty obvious being mean, nasty and yes; offensive seems to work. Why?  Because otherwise applications; cover letters and resume's  ( no matter how they are worded professionally ) get ignored, passed over and just are generally not stand alone pieces of work ================== How's that philosophy workin' out for ya?
    Posted by GreginMedford

Auntie gave him a $10 raise!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

People don't read cover letters..dont send one.  Clean up your resume'.  Focus on companies and industries similar to your last role.  Search company websites for jobs, particularly at places you know are hiring.  Use www.indeed.com Follow resume's sent with a phone call.  Find names on linkedin or company websites to call or email and follow up with.  Call saying you sent your resume' regarding x position and want to make sure it was received because you are having email issues.  Always call.  It forces them to find your resume', gives them an opportunity to hear your voice and ask you questions.

Stop coming across as bitter even though you may be a little aggravated, people pick up on bitter. Prepare well for interviews.

You will be fine.  There are jobs...you just need to look in the right places and make sure you get the interview...then be great in the interview...take nothing for granted.  Preparation for interviews is crucial.

There are lots of government jobs!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Let's get something straight.  It's pretty obvious being mean, nasty and yes; offensive seems to work. Why?  Because otherwise applications; cover letters and resume's  ( no matter how they are worded professionally ) get ignored, passed over and just are generally not stand alone pieces of work ================== How's that philosophy workin' out for ya?
    Posted by GreginMedford

You're stupid enough to ask that question because it wouldn't make much sense to ask an opposing question.  One you already know the answer to.

How's the philosophy of not being offensive workin' out for ya?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

People don't read cover letters..dont send one.  Clean up your resume'.  Focus on companies and industries similar to your last role.  Search company websites for jobs, particularly at places you know are hiring.  Use www.indeed.com Follow resume's sent with a phone call.  Find names on linkedin or company websites to call or email and follow up with.  Call saying you sent your resume' regarding x position and want to make sure it was received because you are having email issues.  Always call.  It forces them to find your resume', gives them an opportunity to hear your voice and ask you questions. Stop coming across as bitter even though you may be a little aggravated, people pick up on bitter. Prepare well for interviews. You will be fine.  There are jobs...you just need to look in the right places and make sure you get the interview...then be great in the interview...take nothing for granted.  Preparation for interviews is crucial. There are lots of government jobs!!!!
    Posted by macnh1

I'm prepared for a lot of things.  One of them is kiss off routines.
    Thank you very much for applying with our company, you do not meet our qualifications however we will keep your cover letter and resume' on file for six months.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Aren't you the pi55y little psuedo job seeker

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

To answer your question: no
    Why? Cause you sound like a d*ckhead, and who wants to work with a d*ckhead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

To answer your question: no Why? Cause you sound like a d*ckhead, and who wants to work with a d*ckhead.
    Posted by Bill.the.Cat

Don't treat me with kids gloves.
    Tell me how you really feel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Aren't you the pi55y little psuedo job seeker
    Posted by GreginMedford

pseudo?   I prefer quasi myself.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

You'll catch more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Frankly, many of us started at the bottom and worked our way up.  I did this when I was right out of college.  Waited tables while working for no pay at a newspaper.

It is no surprise you find no "takers" based on your approach. A bright guy like you should be able to discern this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

You don't get to be mean and offensive until you get to Upper Mgt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

You don't get to be mean and offensive until you get to Upper Mgt
    Posted by lrecliner

Or do what I did, lie on your resume.  It's easy.......of course you need to be able to converse about the job you are applying for, and have some level of intelligence towards the company you're courting.  That being said, everyone knows that "the closest anyone comes to perfection, is on their resume".

Cover letters are for HR people, resumres are for the guy (or gal) that's going to hire you, GO BOLD!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

To answer your question: no Why? Cause you sound like a d*ckhead, and who wants to work with a d*ckhead.
    Posted by Bill.the.Cat

Shock - Bill is right!

For once I agree with Bill the cat. Remember - An employer looks at not only skill set but if you will fit in with the team or other members of a department you are applying for based on your personality and how you communicate. If I have a department filled with serious steady workers who also make the job fun by doing a lot of interacting, I’m certainly not going to hire a guy who's out to prove everyone around him is an idiot!

Dude - I’m all done with you. I’ve tried to give you serious advice because I have personally hired many people over the years as well as been on countless interviews myself and want to see young people succeed by doing the right thing.

Either you are doing this as a joke or you are beyond help. I’m sorry I wasted my time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

In a word, no.  There's plenty of people actually looking for work who are sending resumes and cover letters that don't offend a soul.  You are not one of them.  Perhaps the whole self-supporting adult thing isn't for you. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

You know what's interesting about every response from you idiots?

No one has yet to congradulate me on at least telling the truth.

If you can look past one particular sentence, that is the basic theme of the cover letter.   

What's wrong ( generally speaking ) with being honest?

Every employer should be told that their advertised job is not all that flattering by any stretch of the imagination.

Every employer should be told the only reason most anyone would apply for their job is simply for the money, not the status ( if any ) it has or any kind of social scene the workplace may present. 

Who the hell ever goes on an interview telling an employer how exicted they are at meeting new co-workers? 

No one ever says that.

Who the hell ever tells an employer that they wish to be mentored by them?

No one.

What's wrong with the truth?  

Why does it all of a sudden have to be ( in some way ) regarded as nasty and offensive?

When did this society become one where we all absolutely ( and looked upon under no other uncertain circumstances )  have to be brownie hounds and liars?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

For a $300 paycheck?  

$500?   $1000?  

I have more self respect being unemployed.

Come here little mhc90, that's a good girl. Sit, roll over,  play dead.  Heel.  

Here's a tasty treat for doing such a good job.   ( a paycheck ) 

Go to fullsize image

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

The truth? You can't handle the truth....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

Your parents apparently have failed in their task of raising a good son.

Or you have failed them.

We could walk around all day spouting "truths".  And as a result, be fired, be arrested, get our asssses kicked.

We have met the idiot and he is you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

You know what's interesting about every response from you idiots? No one has yet to congradulate me on at least telling the truth. If you can look past one particular sentence, that is the basic theme of the cover letter.    _______________________________________________________________ What's wrong ( generally speaking ) with being honest? Every employer should be told that their advertised job is not all that flattering by any stretch of the imagination.   Every employer should be told the only reason most anyone would apply for their job is simply for the money, not the status ( if any ) it has or any kind of social scene the workplace may present.  Who the hell ever goes on an interview telling an employer how exicted they are at meeting new co-workers?  No one ever says that. Who the hell ever tells an employer that they wish to be mentored by them? No one. What's wrong with the truth?   Why does it all of a sudden have to be ( in some way ) regarded as nasty and offensive? When did this society become one where we all absolutely ( and looked upon under no other uncertain circumstances )   have to be brownie hounds and liars?
    Posted by xttwo

OK, OK, OK....l'il fella, you did the right thing by telling the truth, you can have pudding for dessert.

Now STFU and get out there in the real world, lie, cheat, steal, stab your brother in the back, it's the american way.

Sometimes I wonder if you just post this krap becuase you are bored and have no life, or you are truly a loser with little or no social/professional skills whatsoever.

Either way, you are somewhat amusing in your daily little banter, good boy, now take your nap, M'kay?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

For a $300 paycheck?   $500?   $1000?   I have more self respect being unemployed. Come here little mhc90, that's a good girl. Sit, roll over,  play dead.  Heel.   Here's a tasty treat for doing such a good job.   ( a paycheck )   
    Posted by xttwo

Funny, I have plenty of self respect.  And a place of my own to live (bought under my name, my credit), a car, a job, friends, family, and a life.  You have a library card and at least one relative to enable you.  And a myspace page.  Yep, you've got it all.  Think what you want, I think I am doing fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

You know what's interesting about every response from you idiots?

No one has yet to congradulate me on at least telling the truth.

Here's a hint that may help you - IT ISNT ALL ABOUT YOU! You have to prove to an employer what you’re bringing to the organization or team. And you have to sell it! Get in there, convince them you are what they are looking for and do a good job. If they like you and your successful after your hired then go looking for the accolades. If your going to continue to whine because you are incapable of even getting an interview hang it up and stop bothering us!

That’s all you need to know – Time to sht or get off the pot son!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

( she remembered my myspace page ) Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

If you look at your job search as marketing and the job interview as a sales call, then you might find that the cover letter doesn't do as good of a job at selling you as you might think.

Do you really think brutal honesty (yes, it's honest) sells...?? 

A job search is a hustle: find your mark, lay the bait, set the trap and then - close the deal. 

Ergo, "coffee is for closers."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

In Response to Re: Would you hire me based on this cover letter?:
    If you look at your job search as marketing and the job interview as a sales call, then you might find that the cover letter doesn't do as good of a job at selling you as you might think. Do you really think brutal honesty (yes, it's honest) sells...??  A job search is a hustle: find your mark, lay the bait, set the trap and then - close the deal.  Ergo, "coffee is for closers."
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Don't try logic with this guy. Employers are supposed to fall at his feet.  Those of us who work and support ourselves are "idiots" (or at least I am, according to him)

Sections
Shortcuts