Would you hire me based on this cover letter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AreaHeraldReader. Show AreaHeraldReader's posts

Re: Would you hire me based on this cover letter?

In my opinion I would never hire this candidate based on the cover letter for this reason alone:

"I’m not applying to shine your shoes, wipe your nose or clean your toilets. I am an educated African American with the ability to do great and useful things as a contribution to society."

I would never hire someone who thinks he can tell the person he works for what he won't do - in his coverletter no less!.  Also, who cares that you're an African American? It's not relevent to the job. 

Actually adding this sentnece directly after saying you won't "shine shoes, etc" makes you a huge liability risk.  The cover letter will lead the employer to believe that you are the type of person who will immediately bring a lwasuit for discrimination.   Particularly small companies will avoid this candidate like the plague.

Sorry to tell  you that, but that is my advice. I hope you take it.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3rdworldcountry. Show 3rdworldcountry's posts

I’m not applying to shine your shoes, wipe your nose or clean your toilets. I am an educated African American with the ability to do great and useful things as a contribution to society. That’s the truth; like it or not.

hey double x.

since your application was probably reviewed by one of your peers, since that's the only management jobs they are qualified to fill, maybe you oughtta tone it down. your brothers are busy pretending to be real white people in the burbs.

they ain't down with the brothuhs and the movement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macindot. Show macindot's posts

hey have you ever worked at a hot dog stand?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xaphius. Show Xaphius's posts

Obviously, you didn't want the job.  So why go through the motions?

And what's so bad about cleaning toilets?  I had to do it at a couple of different jobs I had.  As a teacher of kids with disabilities, I sometimes had to wipe bums, clean snot, clean 'associated' messes, and take part in some of the janatorial duties (money can be hard to come by at small private schools - some of my coworkers resented that part of their job, but I thought it was pretty cool - made everyone take a more vested interest in general upkeep).

I didn't SHINE shoes, but I did spend and entire year teaching one kid how to tie them  (You have no idea how tedious that became).

Like you, I hate most employers.  But, I care about making a difference enough that I was able to stifle my general restiveness long enough to do a few useful things...if I didn't have that motivation of helping kids who really needed it, I wouldn't have been able to deal with the generic BS of having a boss.

Ultimately, my anti-authoritarianism sent me back to school (which I hate doing), so I could FINALLY be my own boss - which of course, means bending over backwards for clients, having an unpredictable schedule, and reporting back to the wife.  That's the paradox of 'self employment' - now, my boss is everyone who writes me a check, and the lady who manages the bills (I can't lie, I suq at it).  Over time, I'll hopefully become more established, have more regular clients, and be able to have a more regular schedule, but it's not an easy goal.  Plus, we'll be moving out of state in a year or two, so all the clients I win now, I'll lose, and I'll have to start from scratch.

Anyhow.

Good luck with it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xaphius. Show Xaphius's posts

In Response to Re: Would you hire me based on this cover letter?:
    [QUOTE]You know what's interesting about every response from you idiots? No one has yet to congradulate me on at least telling the truth. If you can look past one particular sentence, that is the basic theme of the cover letter.    _______________________________________________________________ What's wrong ( generally speaking ) with being honest? Every employer should be told that their advertised job is not all that flattering by any stretch of the imagination.   Every employer should be told the only reason most anyone would apply for their job is simply for the money, not the status ( if any ) it has or any kind of social scene the workplace may present.  Who the hell ever goes on an interview telling an employer how exicted they are at meeting new co-workers?  No one ever says that. Who the hell ever tells an employer that they wish to be mentored by them? No one. What's wrong with the truth?   Why does it all of a sudden have to be ( in some way ) regarded as nasty and offensive? When did this society become one where we all absolutely ( and looked upon under no other uncertain circumstances )   have to be brownie hounds and liars?
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

It's not always a virtue to 'be honest'. 

I mean, is there merit in walking up to fat people and saying, "You're fat" ? 

Isn't it enough that you know your own limits in terms of, "sh!t up with which you will not put", and are willing to stand up for your own dignity?  Do you REALLY need to broadcast it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

on the one hand, i can understand that stating myself as an educated african american who won't clean toilets, wipe noses or shine shoes

- " could " be misinterpeted as someone who's a black militant willing to sue a white employer the minute they suspect something is afoul. 

But only a skittish white employer would think that. 
    As a white employer if you believe you are and have always been and always will be fair in how you judge people, reward people and hire.

Prove it every day.   Saying someone's a liability is running away like the cowardly ( probably even racist and prejudicial ) chicken that you are. 

Dare to take me on,  challenge me and evaluate me fairly. 

If ( although ) you have a company in which every employee including yourself as the owner are all white. 

Hiding behind a pathetic statement " we hire only the best " is not credible by any stretch of an intelligent person's imagination. 

Even Ghandi would smack you upside the head. 

If a black employer said that even though every employee he had were all black
    what would you white idiots think?  

( the answer you want give makes you a hypocrite ) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

[QUOTE]on the one hand, i can understand that stating myself as an educated african american who won't clean toilets, wipe noses or shine shoes  - " could " be misinterpeted as someone who's a black militant willing to sue a white employer the minute they suspect something is afoul.  But only a skittish white employer would think that.  As a white employer if you believe you are and have always been and always will be fair in how you judge people, reward people and hire. Prove it every day.   Saying someone's a liability is running away like the cowardly ( probably even racist and prejudicial ) chicken that you are.   
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

You're f'n delusional. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you hire me based on this cover letter? : You're f'n delusional. 
    Posted by 7x4[/QUOTE]

You're a f'n idiot. 

( i guess we have something in common ) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xaphius. Show Xaphius's posts

[QUOTE]on the one hand, i can understand that stating myself as an educated african american who won't clean toilets, wipe noses or shine shoes  - " could " be misinterpeted as someone who's a black militant willing to sue a white employer the minute they suspect something is afoul.  But only a skittish white employer would think that.  As a white employer if you believe you are and have always been and always will be fair in how you judge people, reward people and hire. Prove it every day.   Saying someone's a liability is running away like the cowardly ( probably even racist and prejudicial ) chicken that you are.  _________________________________________________________________ Dare to take me on,  challenge me and evaluate me fairly.  If ( although ) you have a company in which every employee including yourself as the owner are all white.  Hiding behind a pathetic statement " we hire only the best " is not credible by any stretch of an intelligent person's imagination.  Even Ghandi would smack you upside the head.  If a black employer said that even though every employee he had were all black what would you white idiots think?   ( the answer you want give makes you a hypocrite )   
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

nobody - black or white - wants to hire a person with a whopping chip on their shoulder, which they appear to actually be proud of.

that's just life.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's all well and good to be the king of xttwo nation, population one, where everything you say is gospel and everyone who disagrees with you is a racist, but I would pay strict attention to what Xaphius says about the illusion of self-employment, if it were me. At some point in your life, I would suspect you will discover that you can't eat pride, or wear arrogance, or use an unrealistic self-image for shelter.

Or mabye you won't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ekggood. Show ekggood's posts

Wha ha ha! Macindot. I have been following this guy's  threads for a while and thinking the exact same thing. Ignatius lives! May you never stop writing XX you make my day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from workingmom. Show workingmom's posts

[QUOTE]You know what's interesting about every response from you idiots? No one has yet to congradulate me on at least telling the truth. If you can look past one particular sentence, that is the basic theme of the cover letter.    _______________________________________________________________ What's wrong ( generally speaking ) with being honest? Every employer should be told that their advertised job is not all that flattering by any stretch of the imagination.   Every employer should be told the only reason most anyone would apply for their job is simply for the money, not the status ( if any ) it has or any kind of social scene the workplace may present.  Who the hell ever goes on an interview telling an employer how exicted they are at meeting new co-workers?  No one ever says that. Who the hell ever tells an employer that they wish to be mentored by them? No one. What's wrong with the truth?   Why does it all of a sudden have to be ( in some way ) regarded as nasty and offensive? When did this society become one where we all absolutely ( and looked upon under no other uncertain circumstances )   have to be brownie hounds and liars?
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from workingmom. Show workingmom's posts

Perhaps you should learn to use a dictionary - you can even spell congratulate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

the many wonders of the written dictionary  Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can be more creative and positive with how you present any truth.  Cover letters should make people want to be with you even if you are risking more than usual by the content.

Your style is offensive.  If I were hiring, I'd not have gotten past the first sentence before I knew I didn't want to be near you day to day or inflict your presence on anyone else.

I get your idea, though - be up front so everyone is on the same page, no false pretenses.  Yes, that is laudable.  Your dispicable and absurdly negative tone, though, is a deal breaker.

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Triffidation. Show Triffidation's posts

[QUOTE]To answer your question: no Why? Cause you sound like a d*ckhead, and who wants to work with a d*ckhead.
    Posted by Bill.the.Cat[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Triffidation. Show Triffidation's posts

LMAO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Triffidation. Show Triffidation's posts

Even shoeshiners shouldn't insult their customers.  Not until they stop tipping, anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joekleine. Show joekleine's posts

Why don't you just deal crack, Sambo?

Sorry, I decided being nasty and offensive is the way to get noticed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTClubs. Show JTClubs's posts

NO. I'll give you a few reasons why.

#1: The obvious "bold" line.
    I’m not applying to shine your shoes, wipe your nose or clean your toilets.

#2: It doesn't appear you had anyone proofread. In the one example below, the second thought is not a complete sentence.
    nothing surprises me because nothing is guaranteed. Not jobs, not salaries, positions, pensions or benefits.

#3: There are more than one example of sentences that just don't make sense. Especially the part bolded below.
    I didn’t spend a good portion of my life in technology without picking up a few abilities in both the use and handling of ordinary equipment as well as being able to think.

#4: There is never an appropriate use for contractions in properly written document. It shows laziness. Didn't = Did not, I'm = I am.

#5: Your overall tone is just too negative.

#6: You obviously have a very poor attitude. I intended to write the above 5 comments as a sincere attempt at letting you know my opinion, but your responses to some of the other posts have me believing you are a bitter, self-centered lunatic.