"DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StockbridgeHockeyPlayer. Show StockbridgeHockeyPlayer's posts

Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment!

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment!:
    Scott Brown said that he's not going to be a "social crusader"; breaking with a tradition that Massachusetts should be proud of.  It was courageous Bay Staters like Susan B. Anthony who began rallied the women's suffrage movement when the rest of the nation preferred women not to have the right to vote.  It was courageous Bay Staters like William Lloyd Garrison that worked diligently to abolish slavery when large parts of the rest of the country preferred the status quo.  It was courageous Bay Staters like Eunice Kennedy Shriver who gave much of her life to the advancement of people with intellectual disabilities, when such people were simply dismissed as damaged or not worth the effort. I sincerely hope that Senator Brown follows in the tradition of Governor John A. Andrew (R) who authorized the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry which was one of the first official black units in the United States armed forces; and lend his support to overturn Dont ask, Dont tell.
    Posted by NotDrinkinTheKoolAid

Great contribution.  Sometimes one has to be a social crusader.  I'm proud of our heritage of producing strong crusaders for justice!  We shouldn't forget our history and we shouldn't let others forget it either.

Go Bruins!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StockbridgeHockeyPlayer. Show StockbridgeHockeyPlayer's posts

Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment!

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment!:
    I sincerely hope that Senator Brown follows in the tradition of Governor John A. Andrew (R) who authorized the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry which was one of the first official black units in the United States armed forces; and lend his support to overturn Dont ask, Dont tell. --------------------------------- POTUS doesn't need anyone's support.  Just undo it!  No one will fight him, including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.  Whats the problem?  Talk is cheap
    Posted by GreginMeffa

GreginMeffa:  There is a growing number of misinformed conservatives fighting to keep this policy in place and watching Fox & Friends this morning, I saw that fact first-hand.  Interestingly, on this subject, their news coverage has been neither fair nor balanced.  As well, the Tea Party Movement is becoming more vocal on this issue and their rhetoric is purely bigoted.  I don't use that term often or lightly.  See for yourself at:  http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/forum/topics/the-queering-of-our-military?commentId=2978134%3AComment%3A280362&xg_source=activity

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BUGuardsman. Show BUGuardsman's posts

Senator Brown sits on the Senate Armed Services Cmtee and thus will play a critical role on this issue.

The U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee is expected to vote on a measure to repeal the policy as early as May. Senator Scott Brown sits on that committee and thus will play a critical role on this issue. But he has not yet committed to supporting the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

No matter how you personally feel about the wars and public policy concerning civil marriage, PLEASE, urge our new Senator to take a stand for the equal treatment of gay/lesbian service members that risk their lives every day to keep our nation secure and free. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Genz1. Show Genz1's posts

I will let him know as well.  Honestly I would be surprised if he votes to keep the policy in place, but you never know. 

I also hope that the people of Massachusetts watch this carefully as it would take real courage for him to break with his party's rank and file.  This will be a good way for him to put his campaign rhetoric into practice.  

We shall see and I'll be watching.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

If your sexual preference is the primary issue that defines you, you don't need the protection of law, you need to grow up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If your sexual preference is the primary issue that defines you, you don't need the protection of law, you need to grow up.
    Posted by skeeter20

That makes no sense. 

If your sexual preference defines which jobs you can and cannot have, then you need the protection of law. 

If you don't understand that, you need wake up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Posted by skeeter20

?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : That makes no sense.  If your sexual preference defines which jobs you can and cannot have, then you need the protection of law.  If you don't understand that, you need wake up.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Two things:  You are assuming facts not in evidence.  Second, you make my point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : Two things:  You are assuming facts not in evidence.  Second, you make my point.
    Posted by skeeter20

You must be joking to try and argue that gays are not discriminated against in the workplace.  We haven't even advanced beyond gender discrimination yet.

Your 'point' is invalid.  Discrimination - by its nature - is the arbitrary definition and subsequent derision of the character of one person by another.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : You must be joking to try and argue that gays are not discriminated against in the workplace.  We haven't even advanced beyond gender discrimination yet. Your 'point' is invalid.  Discrimination - by its nature - is the arbitrary definition and subsequent derision of the character of one person by another.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

I never said that.  You all are reading your biases into my comment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : You must be joking to try and argue that gays are not discriminated against in the workplace.  We haven't even advanced beyond gender discrimination yet. Your 'point' is invalid.  Discrimination - by its nature - is the arbitrary definition and subsequent derision of the character of one person by another.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

But, discrimination is simply to make a differentiation.  I hope those who hire police and firemen are discriminating, in that they select people who can actually do the job.

Let me try to rephrase my comment in a way you can understand.  If you think your sexuality or public knowledge of yor sexuality is an essential condition of employment, grow up.  No one cares but you.

Notice I did not discriminate about what sexuality orientation is in question.  That is you reading into it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BerkshireLegal. Show BerkshireLegal's posts

If it comes down to it, Scott Brown, I'm sure, will vote to ensure that this policy is reversed.  It would simply be the right thing to do to protect our nation, her defenders and our values.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

If it comes down to it, Scott Brown, I'm sure, will vote to ensure that this policy is reversed.  It would simply be the right thing to do to protect our nation, her defenders and our values.
    Posted by BerkshireLegal

I'm sure hi will, but it will be so he doesn't have to listen to a bunch of whining, self-centered, "me" generation idiots who think this whole thing is important.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVanHecht. Show CVanHecht's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : I'm sure hi will, but it will be so he doesn't have to listen to a bunch of whining, self-centered, "me" generation idiots who think this whole thing is important.
    Posted by skeeter20

I've never heard of our service members referred to as whining, self-centered idiots.  That should not be the thanks they garner for keeping us safe! 

It is important that all members receive equal treatment and respect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModRepub4Change. Show ModRepub4Change's posts

skeeter20:  No need to be daft.  Homosexuals who are willing to dedicate their lives for our country should be given equal opportunity to do so without being forced to hide in the closet, unless they chose to do so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : I've never heard of our service members referred to as whining, self-centered idiots.  That should not be the thanks they garner for keeping us safe!  It is important that all members receive equal treatment and respect.
    Posted by CVanHecht

And they do.  The self cetered whining idiots are those that think their sexuality is SO important, that it needs to be the thing that defines them.  Very 90's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModRepub4Change. Show ModRepub4Change's posts

Good point skeeter20.  With due respect, I don't necessarily think that they believe that their sexuality is so important that it is the only thing that defines them.  I would agree that it is part of their character and that part unfortunately causes them to be discriminated against in certain situations.  This being one of them. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : And they do.  The self cetered whining idiots are those that think their sexuality is SO important, that it needs to be the thing that defines them.  Very 90's.
    Posted by skeeter20

I don't think gay men and women in the service want to be defined by their sexuality, they just don't want it to be kept from serving over it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : I don't think gay men and women in the service want to be defined by their sexuality, they just don't want it to be kept from serving over it.
    Posted by ProfessorPain[/QUOTE]

I find it curious, that those in favor of repealing this policy otherwise have no use for the military.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : I find it curious, that those in favor of repealing this policy otherwise have no use for the military.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

I am in favor of it, and I strongly believe in the merits of using force to achieve national objectives.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVanHecht. Show CVanHecht's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : I find it curious, that those in favor of repealing this policy otherwise have no use for the military.

What makes you think that?  I for one, certainly believe in a strong military and have always supported our service members.    No matter the outcome, that will never change!  Honestly I don't know of anyone, who doesn't support our military and it's personnel.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : What makes you think that?  I for one, certainly believe in a strong military and have always supported our service members.    No matter the outcome, that will never change!  Honestly I don't know of anyone, who doesn't support our military and it's personnel.
    Posted by CVanHecht[/QUOTE]

Well, then, don't you trust that the military is making the right call here?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProfessorPain. Show ProfessorPain's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : Well, then, don't you trust that the military is making the right call here?

But it isn't their call to make. One of the great things about our system is the military has civilian leadership.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" Our Brave and Honorable Service Members Deserve Better Treatment! : But it isn't their call to make. One of the great things about our system is the military has civilian leadership.
    Posted by ProfessorPain

You are right.  However, it seems disingenous to claim such heartfelt support, but then not think that they are making the right call, the occasional dissenter notwithstanding.  So, what is the military objective achieved by permitting gay people to not only serve, but to do so in an overtly open manner?