"September Mornings still can make me feel that way....."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"September Mornings still can make me feel that way....."

For as long as I can remember, September has always been a favorite month for me, a time of new beginnings, a transition into my favorite season- fall. September mornings are the best…the heat of the summer starting to wane with just a hint of the cool crisp of autumn. While I am still doing my daily walk in a tank top and shorts, I know by the end of September, the tank top will be traded for a sweatshirt..but I look forward to it.

Ten years ago, I started the month of September with the same thoughts. Little did I know that before it was time to switch to sweatshirts that my little world and the little world of everyone in the US and the world would change so profoundly.

Although some of the little details have faded, I still remember so much about September 11, 2001. I remember where I was (at work), I remember the phone call from a family member…and while talking, she happened to mention that a plane had crashed into the World trade center. We both assumed it was a small plane and I think I said something along the lines that I was surprised something like that had not happened before given the height of NY buildings. We hung up and I thought nothing of it until she called back several minutes later…and that conversation was quite different. I remember co-workers…all on the phone..all clearly getting the same news I was. At the time, the agency I worked for did not have internet access so we found a little radio and were listening..horrified by the news as it unfolded.

Other things about that day that I remember with more clarity, just like it was yesterday were the phone call I received later in the day from my son when he arrived home from school. It was then I learned that someone we were close to, the father of one of his playmates and a former baseball coach, was one of the victims on the United flight that hit the World Trade center. I remember thinking how unfair. I remember the uncertainty of what would happen next. I remember going home and literally not moving from the TV news. I remember that we didn’t even bother with dinner,none of us hungry. I remember needing a break..sitting out front for a while and the eerie silence of no planes flying overhead..save for the occasional flyover of a pair of military jets.   I remember school was cancelled the next day for my son ( bomb threat..this would happen at his school several times over the following weeks and months). I remember coming home from work the next day and finding him in front of the TV..it was like he couldn’t get enough. At that point, I turned off the television, knowing it was time for a break and we spent a lot of time talking. We fixed dinner together and went for a walk.

In the days that follow…I remember the feeling of unity and strength the overwhelming feeling of community..both locally and nationally. Suddenly..there was no more dems vs. pubs. There was no more us versus them. All the petty bickering suddenly seemed exactly what it was..petty. I remember there was only America, united by tragedy and strengthened in her resolve…and that was a nice feeling in the face of fear. I remember walking to St. Monica’s church where there was a multi faith service which included the local Islamic population. I have never quite felt anything like I felt during that service..and that is a sad statement I guess on society.

It’s hard to believe on this beautiful September morning that 10 years has gone by.  The changes in the world have been many..but the changes in us as individuals and American citizens, has 10 years later been short lived. People are back to petty bickering and never has the US been more divided than it is now. For sure, times are tough..but they will never be as tough as they were that September morning 10 years ago. A decade later, perhaps the best way to honor and remember the people who lost their lives, both innocent victims as well as true heroes..the best way to honor them would be to remember how we all felt in the days following September 11th, 2001 and get back that feeling once again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Re: "September Mornings still can make me feel that way....."

I like September also.  Aside from the 24th being my birthday, September is the perfect time of year where everything settles down.

Kinda like the round or square pegs finally falling into their respective holes.

People calm down ( or at least they used to ).

I wrote a poem about September. 
    http://writerx.hubpages.com/hub/Old-September

And from that;  a six page first chapter of my book I plan to write (121). 
    I don't know how, when or if life will return to somekind of " normal "  in this country.  Deep down we all want that but in order to grow and move on from 9/11 we have to accept what happened for what it was and who we need to be in relation to everyone else in the world.

We can be " citizens of the world " without being played for complete naive fools and morons easily duped and victimized.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

In Response to Re: "September Mornings still can make me feel that way.....":
    [QUOTE]I was actually at Logan about the time those planes were departing.  It was a sad day and hopefully it never happens again.  If we ever do have something like this again happen, hopefully we will not have a President who sits on his rear for seven minutes, while agents are yelling in his ear that people are dying.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

And what do you think should have happened? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]I wish there was a president who didn't ignored the P.D.B.M. of August 6 2001 which stated that bin Laden was determined to strike in the US.
    Posted by Sistersledge[/QUOTE]

Have you read the memo?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

Let's see here. The first reply here  was a neautral observation. The second a political jab. The third another political jab. The fourth and fifth simple questions, followed by the sixth with another political jab. Too bad when even a somber rememberance becomes trashed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]I was actually at Logan about the time those planes were departing.  It was a sad day and hopefully it never happens again.  If we ever do have something like this again happen, hopefully we will not have a President who sits on his rear for seven minutes, while agents are yelling in his ear that people are dying.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Right on would have been much better to panic.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Better than the six months Obama sat on his rear while soldiers were dying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see here. The first reply here  was a neautral observation. The second a political jab. The third another political jab. The fourth and fifth simple questions, followed by the sixth with another political jab. Too bad when even a somber rememberance becomes trashed.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

that's because those making the jabs will do anything, absolutely anything to get a democrat elected.  No sense of decency in this crowd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

I remember where I was and what I was doing that morning. You see, my husband was on a plane that morning and I had quite a few frightening hours trying sort everything out and track him down. Our fears and his inconvenience was nothing compared to how others lives changed overnight. I hope miscricket's last sentiment can come true that we all remember how we felt as a nation in the days after.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

To EmersonCat I have deleted my posts. I'm very sorry for being so callous and selfish and I wish I never posted those comments. Again I am very ashamed that I hurt your feelings concerning those anguishing hours that your husband was away from you. Please accept my apology !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

[QUOTE]To EmersonCat I have deleted my posts. I'm very sorry for being so callous and selfish and I wish I never posted those comments. Again I am very ashamed that I hurt your feelings concerning those anguishing hours that your husband was away from you. Please accept my apology !
    Posted by Sistersledge[/QUOTE]

Sistersledge, thank you for your kind actions and comment. My comment wasn't meant to make you have that reaction. I respect your right to express yourself. I appreciatie the gesture however. 9.11.2001 was a very surreal day in many ways.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "September Mornings still can make me feel that way....." : that's because those making the jabs will do anything, absolutely anything to get a democrat elected.  No sense of decency in this crowd.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Scooter, I think you shoud call Dr. Phil. You can tell him that those bad people on this board are offending you. You can also tell him that you have nightmares about bags of tea every night. You'll be his #1 patient for sure! LOL :)........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In Response to "September Mornings still can make me feel that way.....":
    [QUOTE]For as long as I can remember, September has always been a favorite month for me, a time of new beginnings, a transition into my favorite season- fall. September mornings are the best…the heat of the summer starting to wane with just a hint of the cool crisp of autumn. While I am still doing my daily walk in a tank top and shorts, I know by the end of September, the tank top will be traded for a sweatshirt..but I look forward to it. Ten years ago, I started the month of September with the same thoughts. Little did I know that before it was time to switch to sweatshirts that my little world and the little world of everyone in the US and the world would change so profoundly. Although some of the little details have faded, I still remember so much about September 11, 2001. I remember where I was (at work), I remember the phone call from a family member…and while talking, she happened to mention that a plane had crashed into the World trade center. We both assumed it was a small plane and I think I said something along the lines that I was surprised something like that had not happened before given the height of NY buildings. We hung up and I thought nothing of it until she called back several minutes later…and that conversation was quite different. I remember co-workers…all on the phone..all clearly getting the same news I was. At the time, the agency I worked for did not have internet access so we found a little radio and were listening..horrified by the news as it unfolded. Other things about that day that I remember with more clarity, just like it was yesterday were the phone call I received later in the day from my son when he arrived home from school. It was then I learned that someone we were close to, the father of one of his playmates and a former baseball coach, was one of the victims on the United flight that hit the World Trade center. I remember thinking how unfair. I remember the uncertainty of what would happen next. I remember going home and literally not moving from the TV news. I remember that we didn’t even bother with dinner,none of us hungry. I remember needing a break..sitting out front for a while and the eerie silence of no planes flying overhead..save for the occasional flyover of a pair of military jets.     I remember school was cancelled the next day for my son ( bomb threat..this would happen at his school several times over the following weeks and months). I remember coming home from work the next day and finding him in front of the TV..it was like he couldn’t get enough. At that point, I turned off the television, knowing it was time for a break and we spent a lot of time talking. We fixed dinner together and went for a walk. In the days that follow…I remember the feeling of unity and strength the overwhelming feeling of community..both locally and nationally. Suddenly..there was no more dems vs. pubs. There was no more us versus them. All the petty bickering suddenly seemed exactly what it was..petty. I remember there was only America, united by tragedy and strengthened in her resolve…and that was a nice feeling in the face of fear. I remember walking to St. Monica’s church where there was a multi faith service which included the local Islamic population. I have never quite felt anything like I felt during that service..and that is a sad statement I guess on society. It’s hard to believe on this beautiful September morning that 10 years has gone by.   The changes in the world have been many..but the changes in us as individuals and American citizens, has 10 years later been short lived. People are back to petty bickering and never has the US been more divided than it is now. For sure, times are tough..but they will never be as tough as they were that September morning 10 years ago. A decade later, perhaps the best way to honor and remember the people who lost their lives, both innocent victims as well as true heroes..the best way to honor them would be to remember how we all felt in the days following September 11 th , 2001 and get back that feeling once again.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]
    Great post, mscricket. Very thoughtful and well written. You clearly have a heart of gold.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

If we ever do have something like this again happen, hopefully we will not have a President who sits on his rear for seven minutes, while agents are yelling in his ear that people are dying.

Because if he "acted" right away none of those people would have died. Nope. Towers wouldn't have fallen either. Fire would have been put out, everyone in the towers would have been saved and all would be good in the world. Yup...those were some critical seven minutes.....wow

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

[QUOTE]If we ever do have something like this again happen, hopefully we will not have a President who sits on his rear for seven minutes, while agents are yelling in his ear that people are dying. Because if he "acted" right away none of those people would have died. Nope. Towers wouldn't have fallen either. Fire would have been put out, everyone in the towers would have been saved and all would be good in the world. Yup...those were some critical seven minutes.....wow
    Posted by WhichOnesPink[/QUOTE]

Given the seriousness of the post (and debate), this actually made me laugh out loud.  I love how people make it sound like he actually could've done something to change what happened after it had already happened.  lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that we all reacted with shock and needed time to "digest" what we were being told (and shown) at that moment so I am not one to judge W's reaction to Sept. 11th. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Given the seriousness of the post (and debate), this actually made me laugh out loud.  I love how people make it sound like he actually could've done something to change what happened after it had already happened.  lol.

I know, right!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Thanks for the comments everyone...Emersoncat..wow..! I cannot imagine what that day must have been like for you...I am sure you are thankful for the way it turned out. Alleycat..thanks :-)
    Jack..he really did have a deer in the headlights look on his face..but at least he rallied after the fact. I just wish that feeling of unity could have lasted a little longer. His handling of the 911 situation gave Bush more political and populist capital than most modern presidents have had. It's too bad he squandered it in his second term.