Amanda Knox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Amanda Knox

No doubt..Amanda Knox is getting out of dodge quickly tonight. In this case..dodge being Italy. The last news report had Amanda on her way to a private jet to fly her out of Italy. I am sure this has been a long 4 years for her. After today's reversal of her murder conviction  she is no doubt feeling very happy and relieved and safe in her family's loving arms.
    I have been loosely following the news reports on this case, mainly because the differences in the judicial systems of Italy and the United States. In the end..it seems that justice found a way to work itself out. The person who committed the murder is already in jail...his appeal denied..and Amanda and her now ex boyfriend are free. Kind of funny because the way I see it...had this been the US justice system..it's likely that Knox would never have gone to trial..and had she gone..would never have been convicted. However..in Italy..once convicted..she essentially got a chance to try her whole case over on appeal. This could never happen in the US.
    I am glad for her and her family. Still sad for the victim's family..but like I said..in the end I think Justice prevailed.
    A great deal of the credit goes to the defense attorneys who never gave up the fight for Knox. It's cases like this one that go to show how important defense lawyers are to the system of justice. Ensuring the innocent go free is just as important..perhaps more so ..than making sure the guilty get punished.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Re: Amanda Knox

She is way to cute to be in jail.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Amanda Knox:
    She doesn't look relieved. Wouldn't you want to look relieved if you were guilty? She still looks scared out of her mind. Shell-shocked.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

I thought the same thing. I thought that if she really were guilty then she should get an academy award. When I was watching the replay on the news..she looked terrified both before and after the verdict came.
    It seems from news reports that this investigation was flawed from the start...rush to judgment..tainted physical evidence and taking the word of a drug dealer over the word of a couple of 18 year old kids who had never been in trouble. I happen to think the Kercher family did have some sort of justice. The person who murdered their daughter is was convicted and serving time.
    It's a bit frightening to me that in cases like this in Italy..the jury is allowed to deliberate during the proceedings as well as they are allowed to watch all the media coverage...in this I would say our system of justice is better. Cases should be decided on facts..not emotions.
    It also sounds like a flaw..( or a safeguard in a bad system I guess) that it was reported that 50 percent of cases like the Knox case get overturned on the appeal. That seems to me like something is fundamentally wrong with the initial system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AJF1129. Show AJF1129's posts

In Response to Amanda Knox:
    No doubt..Amanda Knox is getting out of dodge quickly tonight. In this case..dodge being Italy. The last news report had Amanda on her way to a private jet to fly her out of Italy. I am sure this has been a long 4 years for her. After today's reversal of her murder conviction  she is no doubt feeling very happy and relieved and safe in her family's loving arms. I have been loosely following the news reports on this case, mainly because the differences in the judicial systems of Italy and the United States. In the end..it seems that justice found a way to work itself out. The person who committed the murder is already in jail...his appeal denied..and Amanda and her now ex boyfriend are free. Kind of funny because the way I see it...had this been the US justice system..it's likely that Knox would never have gone to trial..and had she gone..would never have been convicted. However..in Italy..once convicted..she essentially got a chance to try her whole case over on appeal. This could never happen in the US. I am glad for her and her family. Still sad for the victim's family..but like I said..in the end I think Justice prevailed. A great deal of the credit goes to the defense attorneys who never gave up the fight for Knox. It's cases like this one that go to show how important defense lawyers are to the system of justice. Ensuring the innocent go free is just as important..perhaps more so ..than making sure the guilty get punished.
    Posted by miscricket
    ......except in Texas where Governer Death would have had her executed by now

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

Tabloid TV at its best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freedom2fascism. Show freedom2fascism's posts

She doesn't look relieved. Wouldn't you want to look relieved if you were guilty? She still looks scared out of her mind. Shell-shocked.

I agree.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The worst thing is it may not be over. The prosecutor can appeal again. If the verdict is reinstated, it goes to the highest court in Italy. If THEY uphold the conviction, Italy can commence extradition proceedings. As I understand it. I'm no expert though and didn't do actual direct legal research.

I heard this on the news last night. I tend to think it is probably over. I just simply cannot imagine that the Italian justice system will allow this to happen...this whole situation has been embarrasing enough for them..I can't believe they would want to continue down this path.
    I think she owes her freedom to all the people..her family..friends who created an entire movement and kept pressure on the Italian judicial system to hear this case again...I think Jackbu is right..I think that the exchange program and the tourism industry would suffer a huge backlash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

I heard on the news last night that the prosecution is going to appeal so your information is wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Italian legal system is severely flawed but once a case gets into the apeals process, the system begins to right itself. 

The prosecutor in the trial is terrible.  He should be prosecuted.

There was no evidence in the case.  The real killer has already been arrested, tried, and sentenced.

The prosecutor had animated video made of how he thought the murder was committed.  There was no evidence to suggest anything in the video actually happened beyond the actual murder.  That video would never be allowed in a US court.

This isn't the first time this prosecutor has done something like this.  Read "The Monster of Florence".  This prosecutor is scary in his incompetence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Who knows what happened,  I lived next door to college students in the 90s,  if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.  All night partying, kegs of beer being carried in continuously,  screaming, loud thumping noises like people are coming through the walls,  blaring music, people sprawled out on the lawn,  people vomiting,  ? drug use in the back yard,  young girls passed out on the lawn with guys trying to get on top of them.  My neighbors advised me to not look out the window, to ignore it and mind my own business,  the police would show up from time to time,  the kids parents would pay fines but this continued off and on for 4 years.   

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts