Ax Not What Your Country Can Do For You

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Looks as though Reverend Wright is at again folks.� Now he is on the defense about� comments that African American children can not speak proper English and as a stellar example of Caucasians not speaking proper English, he sites the JFK speech by mimicking the Bostonian-Kennedy accent.� Fine example Revered Wright; you don't even know the difference between an accent and grammar.So now Wright has made a fool of himself�and �also unnecessarily� and wrongly �targeted a deceased Democratic president.� Wonder how Obama will sugar coat this latest faux pas.�� Any thoughts out there on this subject?� �

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmcbad. Show cmcbad's posts

I thnk that Obama's sugar coating, whatever it happens to be, will be useless.�I� think that the democrat party� is kicking itself for supporting Obama for so long as new information keeps on coming out about this man.�� November will bea great month for republicans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Well, let�me just say I refuse to listen to Howie Carr because he offends me by offending everyone however Menino deserves what ever is thrown his way.� But I might add that Howie Carr's career is to poke fun at the expense of local politician's where as a person of the cloth is supposed to be preaching tolerance and forgiveness.� My issue with Wright is not to stir up racial problems, my issue is that he is doing Obama a huge disservice and also if he is going to cite an example of Caucasians making grammatical errors, he should use a better example than to make fun of someone's accent.�� That being said,� I do not and never will understand why "ax" is always the substitute for "ask ."��� Wright seems to be doing far more damage to Obama's campaign by coming out with these inflammatory statements. causing Obama to have to apologize on behalf of his preacher and Wright did not learn his lesson from the previous incident.�� Why is Wright not getting it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I do think the Democratic party is in fact behaving in such a manner as to hand the election to McCain on a silver platter.�� McCain must be�pinching himself on a daily basis, the dream�is that good!�

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Fox news, eh? No, only� if II can't stay awake long enough for the 11:00 news.� I realize the right to exercise free speech and all that however, as Obama is a member of his congregation and as Obama is running on the Democratic ticket and as Obama has had to apologize� for Wright's prior comments about "God damn America", you would think Wright would just STFU.� I am not incensed by what he said as much as I am by�the very poor example he used to defend African American children's grammar.� I am sure there were many better examples from which to choose to make his analogy but taking JFK's inaugural speech and making fun of the accent did little to help his cause and he continues to make a fool of himself and unfortunately and whether we like it or not, in any political race, a candidate is always guilty by association so again, why doesn't Wright keep his mouth shut instead of spewing inflammatory remarks that do not even make sense given the circumstances.� I think the man is unbalanced bordering�on having some mental issues.� PS.. I used to listen to Jay Severin but stopped because he sent my blood pressure off the charts.� Also I am not the only person to have this reaction. There are ways to stir emotions and reactions in people and while this can be a good�thing for both sides of the arguments�there are ways to go about without creating such anger and hatred..which is exactly my point with Wright these days.�

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmcbad. Show cmcbad's posts

what's crumping?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I don't find dance styles or fads offensive and in fact if you ever watched "So You Think You Can Dance, there are some amazingly talented young dancers and many of the dance moves came from the streets.�� I find it fascinating�how these young adults have learned to push the limits of the human body and are always taking dance to the next level as a form of art.Murdering the English language is quite another story.� And to be perfectly honest, when I am having a conversation with a person of a minority background and that conversation is spoken� in the pure form of English, the ethnicity of the other person is�completely invisible.�� Everyone goes to school in this country and learns the same form of the English language.� How did "ask" become 'ax" how does "where are you" end up "where you is" or where you at".� This is not an art form�but instead tells me that� kids are being pushed through just to get them out of the schools and the system is failing to teach or are the kids unteachable or is it a bit of both?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Certainly I did not mean private schools yet I do feel that public schools are in fact churning out some of the kids be they Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, etc who are unable to communicate in acceptable English.��� There has to be a failure at some level.� I have come across high school graduates who speak barely passable correct English and have no clue as to what is proper grammar.� I see it in memos, resumes, etc.� One fin example on the message boards happened to be a person who was getting a point across about something being ludicrous, except they spelled it exactly like the rapper Ludakris as if the word did not exist until he came on the scene.� I am stunned in a daily basis.�

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

PS...pardon my 2 typos!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I realize they aren't the same person however as I stated before in this political race, candidates are guilty by association in an attempt to discredit.� Whereas Obama has been placed in a position to publicly explain Wright's previous remarks, Wright continues to put his famous parishioner in an awkward situation.� Aside from the fact that Wright's analogy clearly had nothing to do with the subject of speaking proper English, there are many voters who will take all this into consideration.� Why would Wright want to�potentially derail Obama's bid for the presidency?� These situations might cause the election to be handed to McCain and I for one do not want a third term of Bush's war.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

"My understanding is that the word pronounced "ax" came from misspelling "ask" as "aks"."Then would that be considered dyslexic and if so, why do so� many say "ax" when they mean "ask."� It is a spoken form, not written.As to the other point you bring up, that truly is a very good question.��Since history shows other descriptions to have been cruel, the horrid "N" word was thankfully replaced by "black" and at the time Black and Beautiful, Black Pride and Black Power was a positive connotation.� Yet the term "black" is not correct either since people of African American descent have variable skin tones as do Caucasian.� We have fair skin,�olive� skin & ruddy complexions, etc.���In my opinion and to make it easy, if you were born here, call yourself an American and no need to create more separation by tacking on where your descendants hailed from.� I do not go �around saying I am 1/2 Russian, 1/4 English�and 1/4 Irish American. I was born in Boston as were my parents therefore I am an American.� ����

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

The issue with me wasn't about slurring or defaming a dead president as much as it was such an incredibly poor example for his argument. Like I said, he poked fun at an accent in order to prove a point about poor English.� To me he comes across as not very bright and having a major racial chip on his shoulder.� I also thought that choosing to make fun of a Democratic president was adding insult to injury since Obama and family are members of his congregation.�� I'll say this much, when he was making fun of and quoting Kennedy, it was one of the first times I've heard "ask" uttered properly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

All well and good if they prefer it but I tend to equate it with the other "N" word and that�is so vulgar and wrong.��

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

There has to be a failure at some level.� I have come across high school graduates who speak barely passable correct English and have no clue as to what is proper grammar.� I see it in memos, resumes, etc.� You are so right. I get emails from the kids I coach and the grammar and spelling is atrocious. Even from a�kid who went to Cornell. These kids use you're, when it should be your and vise versa. There when it should be their and vise versa. It's sad.That's funny about "ludakris". Not surprised at all.�

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I had to stop listening to talk show radio because all the hosts do is incite the listeners and make people more angry and less tolerant of each other.�� I feel they are much worse than Wright�since they are being PAID to spew and stir up hatred.� What bothers�me about Wright� is that he should be setting a more positive example and not trying to induce racial prejudices. I would have felt the same if he had used an African American as an example instead of those who are looking to turn over another rock�in an attempt to discredit Obama.� Obama might not need to make any more public apologies for Wright's comments yet I can not understand why Wright continues to stir things up with controversial� remarks when he knows Obama had to do some damage control last time.�� Just not very smart.�
    Appreciate your well thought response!�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Part of the problem with some college graduates, from Cornell no less, is the use of computers and the spellcheck feature.� Instant gratification. Just as calculators help kids pass math tests, why does anyone need to spell or use proper grammar when a computer will correct your errors and sugegst better grammatical choices.� For the same reasons, penmanship is also a�dying art.� Who writes letters anymore when we have email?� Why read a book when we can pop a tape or CD in and listen to a narrator. At some point I see libraries�becoming obsolete and hopefully not in my life time.��

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Anything to do with the "N" word makes me cringe.� There was a time when we referred to African Americans as colored people as in people of color.� Does this mean Caucasians ae colorless?�� Any term that describes a race or ethnicity can and will be deemed by some as insulting and who is to say what offends?� If we strip away the skin, are we not all the same underneath? One heart, 2 lungs, a brain, spine, ribs, organs, veins, blood, muscle.� Why, since the beginning of time, has the color of one's skin have such an impact on how they are perceived?I try to remind myself that in the end there is only one race; the human race.��

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Or could one also be considered a non person;�have to love "PC" and how it overly complicates a benign statement.� Thanks for that story.��I'm sure HR departments have heard and seen it all. -->-->My favorite story involves the good old days when an application was filled out for a position.� I was working a part time job after school and a girl came in to apply for an after school job. I gave her the application and asked her to fill it out and hand it back to me when completed.� After she left, I read over the information and where it asked you the question sex, as in M or F, she put down; "once in Canada."� True story!�� -->-->�

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from axman96. Show axman96's posts

It'll take a heck of a lot more than Wright misspeaking for me to support McCain.

But it won't for a couple million regular blue collar working folks in the South and the Midwest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from axman96. Show axman96's posts

�I feel they are much worse than Wright�since they are being PAID to spew and stir up hatred.� Well, in Wright's case, you could say that he stirred up hatred, and then he got paid, by Obama, in the form of� a $30k donation.� I don't see the difference, spewing hatred to a large audience is still spewing hatred, is it not?� Who cares how much the guy gets paid?� The point is, is that Wright gets donations (not exactly the same as getting a salary like a radio talk show host) based on what he preaches, right?� I'll give you that talk radio can be bombastic, abrasive, and intolerant at times, but the level of intellect and reasoned debate on Jay Severin's show (though in fairness not all of the time, of course)�is on a much higher plane than anything that I've heard out of Rev. Wright.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilcrowe. Show wilcrowe's posts

Anything to do with the "N" word makes me cringe.�Must make it difficult to spend anytime with many of the young people living in our nations cities.� They use the "N" word as a pronoun.�

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Hi ya Leasy II,But do you wonder why Obama's family preacher would be inclined to make remarks that could prove to�be potentially damaging?� And Wright says if Obama wins, he's going after him.� I think the man is truly unstable!�

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Well, in truth I don't spend time with� inner city youth because I am too old and�avoid areas where I don't belong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

If you stretch it, you could say Wright was paid however a donation is a donation to the church, not into the pockets of Reverend Wright� or so we believe.� As you say he isn't on a salary and his job as a preacher is contrary to the messages he is delivering to his congregation every Sunday. And surely we have no idea of all the things he's been saying that didn't make it out of the church and on national television.�� To me he is angry, bitter and needs to see professional help.� On the other hand, while many talk show hots, such as Jay Severin do inspire intelligent discussions yet they tend to end up being angry rants and very mean spirited.� When that happens, it takes away from the intellect and reduces the discussion to the lowest common denominator.� Just my opinion and why I stopped listening.� It happened during the time Romney was running for governor and on my way home from work I woudl catch Severin's show.� I ended up driving home gripping the steering wheel, all tense and angry and eventually had a revelation that it was not good to feel this way and I turned the station and never looked back.� NPR is my choice for a calmer, less slanted prospective. For me, a talk show host is paid to stir up controversy while a preacher, priest or any person of the clergy's job is to bring people together. �

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Honestly, between Bill Clinton not being able to zip it , Hillary embellishing a meet and greet on a tarmac in Bosnia and� Obama's camp with their loose lips, the Democrats are set to hand the election over to McCain on an engraved invitation.��� RSVP before November 4th.� Ay yi yi!