Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pol/1510859793.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Re: Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized?

I think the wrong person is being sent to the shrink. Drawing jesus on a cross is a sunday school activity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

This is all part of the unions drive to remove religion from the classroom. The teacher expected them to draw Santa and presents. When one draws Christ they flip out and call them deranged.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

It'd be sweet if that teacher and principal got thousands of pictures from the public

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

The kids were told to draw a picture of something having to do with Christmas. So he did. What's the problem?  I agree with the father, they completely overreacted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's Christmas for pete's sake...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

As you may have noticed the story has now changed now that the school authorities have been interviewed.  The kid apparently showed a crucifixion scene to a teacher unattached to any lesson in class and identified himself as the person being crucified.  That does raise some issues that need to be investigated. Meanwhile, Dad is changing his story and demanding compensation for "emotional distress".  Sounds like it was bad reporting that fit a certain political agenda.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Himself?  That makes no sense.  People are not crucified today so 8 year olds (and actually many adults) are not educated regarding the method of violent torture that it really was.   The worst thing about crucifixion was the suffocation caused by the weight on the lungs and having to stand on the nails in the ankle to avoid that.  How many 8 year olds know anything about that specific type of violence?  He would have chosen to depict some other grizzly thing that he has specific knowledge of like a knifing, shooting, hanging, etc (things on TV and in movies) if he were drawing himself.

It's clearly a desperate attempt at getting out of trouble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to mention that the psychologist that examined him said he is a well adjusted, emotionally stable child.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boombee. Show boombee's posts

A typical reaction of the politically correct. I note the school board said it was a different picture the boy showed the teacher OK so let's see both of them, somehow I don't think we will?

This is just another attempt by the likes of the ACLU to stifle religion and free speech.

As the psychoanalyst said there aint anything wrong with this boy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

In Response to Re: Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized?:
    As you may have noticed the story has now changed now that the school authorities have been interviewed.  The kid apparently showed a crucifixion scene to a teacher unattached to any lesson in class..........
    Posted by Reubenhop

I thought the teacher asked the students to draw something that reminds them of Christmas?   If this was what the kid drew; he completed the assignment.

If the kid drew a stick-figure drawing of a polar bear with x's over the eyes; dying on a melting glacier near the north or south pole would there be any psychoanalysis ordered?  

Doubt it.

Go to fullsize image

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Reuben, I get you are a teacher, and I suppose people in all groups stick together, but come on.  One day a child just happened to draw a very mature-looking drawing of what is obviously Jesus on the cross (I think I even noted the sign above his head) and said, "I hope crucifixion happens to me someday" out of the blue?  Even deranged people have some sense behind what they do, and this revised story has none.

I would hope an educator such as yourself could use common sense.  I just lost a lot of respect for you reporting this as the new "real" story.  Who gets in trouble and changes the story to do anything but get out of trouble?  Really.

They forgot to tell the psychiatrist what to say about the boy's mental health on camera, too, right?

Instead of reporting/believing this obvious falsehood, I'd think you'd be horrified to be identified with such people who cannot fathom that a child drew Christ when asked to draw something to do with Christmas and then make up a completely ridiculous story to try to get out of trouble.  How embarrassing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

In Response to Re: Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized?:
    Himself?  That makes no sense.  People are not crucified today so 8 year olds (and actually many adults) are not educated regarding the method of violent torture that it really was.   The worst thing about crucifixion was the suffocation caused by the weight on the lungs and having to stand on the nails in the ankle to avoid that.  How many 8 year olds know anything about that specific type of violence?  He would have chosen to depict some other grizzly thing that he has specific knowledge of like a knifing, shooting, hanging, etc (things on TV and in movies) if he were drawing himself. It's clearly a desperate attempt at getting out of trouble.
    Posted by kargiver

I agree. From what I heard, he first said it was Jesus on the cross. Then when he was confronted, he changed his explanation by saying it was him. If this is true, then my gut tells me that the lad thought that he did "something wrong" based on the feedback he was getting from the adults and told them what he thought they wanted to hear. Its a pretty common thing for a child to do.  

I think this whole thing was completely mis-handled by the administration. The father definitely has a beef here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: Can a boy draw a picture of Jesus in school without being psychoanalized? : I agree. From what I heard, he first said it was Jesus on the cross. Then when he was confronted, he changed his explanation by saying it was him. If this is true, then my gut tells me that the lad thought that he did "something wrong" based on the feedback he was getting from the adults and told them what he thought they wanted to hear. Its a pretty common thing for a child to do.   I think this whole thing was completely mis-handled by the administration. The father definitely has a beef here.
    Posted by lrecliner

The school board came out with a statement saying the father has it wrong. I am now inclined to believe the school as it appears the father was out to get $$$$.

I apologize to the school system and teachers for my previous remarks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think he should be reimbursed for the psychiatrist bills if not remunerated for the gross negligence of decency of the teacher and principal.  I didn't detect any deception in the father's interview, not that it couldn't have been fraudulent, but I trust my gut on this one.  The story is changing - that's usually not a sign of truth.  And, let's remember that the psychiatrist, who doesn't stand to gain a thing, doesn't support the teacher's assertion and, in fact, stated that even if she'd been correct and the picture had indicated a problem, they handled it in a way that would have exacerbated the problem.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Reuben, I get you are a teacher, and I suppose people in all groups stick together, but come on.  One day a child just happened to draw a very mature-looking drawing of what is obviously Jesus on the cross (I think I even noted the sign above his head) and said, "I hope crucifixion happens to me someday" out of the blue?  Even deranged people have some sense behind what they do, and this revised story has none. I would hope an educator such as yourself could use common sense.  I just lost a lot of respect for you reporting this as the new "real" story.  Who gets in trouble and changes the story to do anything but get out of trouble?  Really. They forgot to tell the psychiatrist what to say about the boy's mental health on camera, too, right? Instead of reporting/believing this obvious falsehood, I'd think you'd be horrified to be identified with such people who cannot fathom that a child drew Christ when asked to draw something to do with Christmas and then make up a completely ridiculous story to try to get out of trouble.  How embarrassing.
    Posted by kargiver

It's not about sticking to one side or the other based on some preexisting bias (you might look to yourself on that one).  It's about not having all the facts to a story to make an informed decision.  Do school authorities make silly decisions when it comes to religious displays?  Sure... sometimes.  Do school authorities have to be hyper aware about a kid at risk?  Absolutely: they are mandated reporters.  The Dad is getting his information second hand from his kid. Dad is also looking for a cash pay-out.  I will side with adult professionals in this one until there is better  evidence to the contrary.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Do school authorities make silly decisions when it comes to religious displays? ------------------ When a kid's picture becomes a religious display, I want the F out. The school is telling conflicting stories. Lets make it simple. Someone overreacted, and it ain't a fr1ggin 7 year old. Some dick tells me my kid has to have a psych eval over a picture of Jesus, or he can't come back, I got two words for 'em "Goodbye a55holes"
    Posted by GreginMeffa

That's if it was a religious display in the first place...  The school says that there were other issues for the boy that raised concerns and this self-crucifixion picture pushed them towards seeking an evaluation. It is interesting that you instinctively distrust the school authorities.  Do you always get straight stories out of seven year olds?  Do you always get straight stories out of people looking to cash in over the loss of their "rights"?  The answer to both is "no".  Maybe the father will sue and all the information can be revealed and we can stop the guessing game. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

The school says that there were other issues for the boy that raised concerns and this self-crucifixion picture pushed them towards seeking an evaluation -------------------- they also said it wasn't that picture AT ALL. Pick one, can't have both
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Actually it can be both.  A different picture with the same theme.  Maybe the boy is making multiple copies... or made one special for his father to show the world.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nagognog. Show nagognog's posts

Looks to me like the kid drew a picture. I don't care if the subject was Jesus H. Christ - or the Brady Bunch being boiled in oil. The fact that the young man drew a picture is commendable in my opinion. Art is a marvelous innovation of our species. Aside from a few apes and chimpanzees, only the human-race has embraced it and used it in so many ways - mostly good ones. If I had that kid's address, I'd send him some art-supplies to help him continue his artistic venues.

Now that we don't know whose version to believe indicates someone is trying to cover their backsides. Now if it was a class assignment to draw something to do with Christmas, the person behind said assignment should recieve a permenant black-mark on their file. He/she singled out a Chistian symbol in a secular school and shoved it down the kid's throats. What did the Jewish children draw? How about the Buddhist kids? The Wicca?

But if the assignment truly didn't exist, then my opinion stands: The kid should be commended for the creativity that is art. If you are reading this, young friend, show it to your parents and ask them to get you the art-supplies you need. My advice to you is this: Don't draw anymore pictures in school. Those people are neurotic and superstitious twits!

Have fun.  Cool

Sections
Shortcuts