education is a joke; always has been; always will be

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

education is a joke; always has been; always will be

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2010/11/29/thousands_called_dropout_risks/?page=2

So, after 30 years ( more or less ) of noticing a disparity between the middle/upper class afluent white

- and the middle and lower class minority

drifting apart in educational achievement ( one passing and one failing ) yet another study finds the attempts at closing the gap have been unsuccessful.

Big surprise.

If you're white and you find yourself in a pretty clean very expensive neighborhood where everybody looks exactly like you. You're going to be alright ( educationally speaking ).

On the other hand; if you're black/hispanic and you find yourself in a pretty dirty and soiled neighborhood where nobody looks like you. You're best hope is learning how to shoot a basketball;  run with a football; rap to the tune of someone else's music or sell drugs on the street corner.

My response to James Vanis was simple; I wish I had dropped out of high school. Particularly if I knew what was comming. A trillion dollar national debt; a trillion dollar trade deficit; no manufacturing economy; no economy at all. 

Why the hell bother?

Living it up in school makes a kid feel special about themselves for about 2 minutes. When you walk out of that door at the end of the day you have to go back home.  And if you're a minority; you'd wish you could declare your own self a ward of the state so some rich white family can take you into the comfort of their money ( excuse me; I mean  " home " ).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: education is a joke; always has been; always will be

Save us the pity party.  Crack open a book and start studying and keep at it.  It is remarkable what a combination of education and hard work can get for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Yeah it is remarkable what a combonation of education and hard work can get for white people;  $70,000 year jobs based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that they either know someone; someone knows them; or they have a rich white family member.

What does hard work and a college education get for a black person?

Case Closed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesvalseuses. Show lesvalseuses's posts

In Response to Re: education is a joke; always has been; always will be:
    [QUOTE]Yeah it is remarkable what a combonation of education and hard work can get for white people;  $70,000 year jobs based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that they either know someone; someone knows them; or they have a rich white family member. What does hard work and a college education get for a black person? Case Closed.
    Posted by WriterXT[/QUOTE]

Take a nap cranky boy.
    Ask Condolezza Rice, Chip Gates, etc.
    You're just a fool.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS THE "BIG O" WOULD SAY...........   "WE ARE 5 DAYS AWAY FROM TRANSFORMING AMERICA" !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah it is remarkable what a combonation of education and hard work can get for white people;  $70,000 year jobs based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that they either know someone; someone knows them; or they have a rich white family member. What does hard work and a college education get for a black person? Case Closed.

You have an unreal vision of the world.  Plenty of white people work real hard to make a good life for themselves.  Plenty of black people do this too.  Sure there is racism that is an ongoing concern, but it is not nearly as debilitating a factor as it once was.  Plenty of folks don't think about color at all.  You might try it yourself.  Quit blaming your color for your lack of success: it could be what is inside.  And self pity is not pretty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

In Response to education is a joke; always has been; always will be:
    [QUOTE]http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2010/11/29/thousands_called_dropout_risks/?page=2 So, after 30 years ( more or less ) of noticing a disparity between the middle/upper class afluent white - and the middle and lower class minority drifting apart in educational achievement ( one passing and one failing ) yet another study finds the attempts at closing the gap have been unsuccessful. Big surprise. If you're white and you find yourself in a pretty clean very expensive neighborhood where everybody looks exactly like you. You're going to be alright ( educationally speaking ). On the other hand; if you're black/hispanic and you find yourself in a pretty dirty and soiled neighborhood where nobody looks like you. You're best hope is learning how to shoot a basketball;  run with a football; rap to the tune of someone else's music or sell drugs on the street corner.   My response to James Vanis was simple; I wish I had dropped out of high school. Particularly if I knew what was comming. A trillion dollar national debt; a trillion dollar trade deficit; no manufacturing economy; no economy at all.  Why the hell bother? Living it up in school makes a kid feel special about themselves for about 2 minutes. When you walk out of that door at the end of the day you have to go back home.  And if you're a minority; you'd wish you could declare your own self a ward of the state so some rich white family can take you into the comfort of their money ( excuse me; I mean  " home " ).

Thats a pretty sad state you are in. Some people learn some don't. School is there as an option and a basic level of free education. You can go from the poor schools to better things. If you don't then is it the schools fault? Thats the eternal question. Blame goes all directions. For the ignorant there is a place to learn. We all make choices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

The "white" or more wealthy parents are way more involved in their kids lives. The govt can throw 15 trillion dollars into the poor school systems but nothing will work until the parents in those school systems step up. The problem is they are probably single moms or dads working three jobs trying to make it. Then there are the leeches who are just useless that were taught to be useless by their parents.  It is a vicious cycle.

It would be unheard of for a student to drop out in some of the suburban school systems. Their whole family becomes victims of gossip and are shunned by former friends. In the more urban systems it becomes normal  and accepted so the kid gets lost. The white dropout goes to the military or immediatley gets his ged and goes to trade school. The city dropout might not have the people around him always pushing for them to succeed.

The other problem is the poor or urban success story also has $100,000 dollars in school debt that holds him back until he is more than halfway through his career. I actually work with quite a few minority success stories that make more than $70,000 a yr. They do not have a parent they can get advice on investing or how much house to buy so they stumble through stupid financial decisions.

With this being said life and a career is about busting your rump everyday. If you are standing out your moving up. No bad language, dress accordingly, speak english minus slang. Get your foot in the door by making good friends that are on a career path that can help you out someday.

You cannot pick your parents so if you find yourself at the bottom start climbing and stop whining.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE]You cannot pick your parents.
    Posted by ccfaulk[/QUOTE]

- ain't that the truth.

For the idiots who still think 2+2=4; you need a refresher course. 
    Just read the article.  It's no different than a number of other articles all saying the exact same thing.  There is a disparity between the education achievement between those children growing up pampered - as opposed to those who have next to nothing or less than nothing.

Gee; why on earth should there ever be a disparity?

Talk about moronic.  

If you're living in an unforgiving enviorment of economic depravity; drugs; gangs; domestic violence; chances are ( and this is just a guess mind you ) you're going to be focusing mainly on staying alive and relatively sane.

Absorbing an education kinda comes in at a distant second.

Subscribing to any belief that education is the ticket out of that mess?
    Barely on someone's radar.

It never occured to these bureaucratic wingnuts that the only sure way to close the education gap is to supplant lower income students in a more stable enviorment?

I mean if I were president or governor; and I were serious about solving the educational mess we're in; I just might try something radical like expanding and renovating high schools middle schools and elementary school facilities to look as pretty and comforting as the nearest private college.

When I first came upon the Wentworth Institute campus in Boston; I noticed how pretty the landscape was.  Easily accessible and secure.

I mean hey; if California's willing to blow $500 mill on one location for school students; surely other states can take that same idea and refine it a bit to fulfill their educational needs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Yeah.  Obama didn't work his way up to being President through hard work, education, and practice organizing people.  Nope.  Everyone knows he's a popular janitor.

Also, I'm a lawyer now because my great uncle was; all I had to do was tell that to the Supreme Judicial Court and they admitted me!  Nothing to do with breaking my f'ing b*lls in law school.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE] I'm a lawyer now because my great uncle was; all I had to do was tell that to the Supreme Judicial Court and they admitted me!  Nothing to do with breaking my f'ing b*lls in law school.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

Do me a favor. 

Ask Howie Carr why a lot of the mucipial judges, defense attorneys, prosecutors, county sheriffs and local politicians throughout the baystate all seem to have the same last name?

( p.s. also earning $150,000-$300,000 in salary, pension, retirement benefits,bonuses, lavish tax-payer paid gifts and so much more!)

Spare me the " I worked my butt off to be a lawyer " crap. 
    The chink in that armor is " oh by the way; someone else in my family was a lawyer too "   

Even if you conveniently chose to not mention that; I would have figured it; much the same I would figure a lot of white people in New England get high paying jobs through ( if not nepotism ) some kind of ' in ' .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: education is a joke; always has been; always will be : Do me a favor.  Ask Howie Carr why a lot of the mucipial judges, defense attorneys, prosecutors, county sheriffs and local politicians throughout the baystate all seem to have the same last name? ( p.s. also earning $150,000-$300,000 in salary, pension, retirement benefits,bonuses, lavish tax-payer paid gifts and so much more!) Spare me the " I worked my butt off to be a lawyer " crap.  The chink in that armor is " oh by the way; someone else in my family was a lawyer too "    Even if you conveniently chose to not mention that; I would have figured it; much the same I would figure a lot of white people in New England get high paying jobs through ( if not nepotism ) some kind of ' in ' .

Obama had a relative who was a lawyer?  And that guy arranged for him to get elected president?  Wow.   

You should get your information from someone other than Howie Carr.   Maybe go back to school too: might help with your powers of observation and critical thinking skills.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

For minorities;  Education + Hard Work =

Thank you very much for submitting your resume' with us. While your skills and experience are impressive; we feel you are not an exact fit with the requirements set forth in our job advertisement.  We do however wish to keep your name on file for six months and if another opportunity arises we will certaintly contact you.   Good Luck in your continuing job search.  

Thanks very much; I appreciate having been considered at least.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]For minorities;  Education + Hard Work = Thank you very much for submitting your resume' with us. While your skills and experience are impressive; we feel you are not an exact fit with the requirements set forth in our job advertisement.  We do however wish to keep your name on file for six months and if another opportunity arises we will certaintly contact you.   Good Luck in your continuing job search .   Thanks very much; I appreciate having been considered at least.  

Maybe it is not about race, but your attitude.  You reek of bad attitude and it is not employable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]Spare me the " I worked my butt off to be a lawyer " crap.

For example, first year, I woke up at 7 AM and worked until 2 to 3 AM.  Every day except Saturday night, when I gave myself a treat and slept 8 hours.

Every day was worse than the previous day.  I would be sitting in the library doing my reading, and all around the periphery of my vision I would have minor hallucinations from sleep deprivation.  Black shapes scurrying across the floor.  Sporadic flashes of white light. 

So yeah, I worked hard.

What about you?  

Also, my reference to telling the SJC my great uncle was a lawyer?  That was a joke.  Sorry you missed that.  They don't care, don't ask, and wouldn't listen if you told them.

[QUOTE]Spare me the " I worked my butt off to be a lawyer " crap.

You seem really jealous that other people developed the discipline to work hard to educate themselves and achieve something.  That you have to start a thread to whine about it is the most pathetic thing I've seen on BDC.

It is true that the urban poor, and minorities, are very disadvantaged.  That doesn't mean education can't get them anywhere.  And it certainly isn't cause to say that anyone else who is successful must have been given the job by daddy.  Disgusting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE]For example, first year, I woke up at 7 AM and worked until 2 to 3 AM.  Every day except Saturday night, when I gave myself a treat and slept 8 hours.  Every day was worse than the previous day.  I would be sitting in the library doing my reading, and all around the periphery of my vision I would have minor hallucinations from sleep deprivation.  Black shapes scurrying across the floor.  Sporadic flashes of white light.      Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

I don't want to alarm you; but maybe that's not sleep deprivation.
    Maybe that's schizophrenia.

(Fox.com/House - Episode titled: Massage Therapy)

Sleep deprivation only causes a person's brain to shut down lobe by lobe.
    Being that there are only four; the process doesn't take very long.

As far as you go; playing the role of Mr. I worked my butt off to be a lawyer.
    Spare me. The world has so many lawyers; becomming one must not only the easiest profession to get into; I venture to guess it's probably also the world's oldest.

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/justice/early.cfm

Yeah; I know what the say about prostitution, but since some lawyers go into politics, is there really a difference? 

I'm not jealous; I'm disappointed. New England is a region of the country that wears it's arrogant ignorance like a badge of honor. Nepotism is practically woven into the fabric of this society to where ignorant moron white people like you who probably don't even recognize how easy you have it - lose yourself in somekind of fake reality. 

Harvey Silverglade ( Silverglade & Good ) is one of the more recognizable prominent attorneys in Massachusetts, next to someone like Alan Dershowitz.

I wonder how many minorities who grew up poor in places like Roxbury ( where I used to live ), Dorchester, Mattapan  work for either of them.  Or those flaky areas in Downtown Boston off of Melena Cass Blvd. 

If you've been injured in a car accident; or you believe you have any type of civil case against someone; call us;  we'll get you what you rightfully deserve. 

Yeah.  If any minorities are lucky enough to become lawyers in Massachusetts; getting that education and working hard doesn't amount to working for any prestigious law firm or a spot in the District Attorney's office.  But an office two floors above an intersection where auto accidents are almost always likely to occur.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from APerfectCircle. Show APerfectCircle's posts

jobs based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that they either know someone; someone knows them; or they have a rich white family member.

My first job out of college....I didn't know someone, no one knew me, and no one in my family or extended family is anything close to rich. It's called hard work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE] I didn't know someone, no one knew me, and no one in my family or extended family is anything close to rich. It's called hard work.
    Posted by APerfectCircle[/QUOTE]

You must be white then.  Oh well;  one out of four ain't bad.
    Be a minority and say you worked hard and became successful.

Also be someone among 1000 in a low-income neighborhood to do so.

Then I'll believe you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: education is a joke; always has been; always will be : You must be white then.  Oh well;  one out of four ain't bad. Be a minority and say you worked hard and became successful. Also be someone among 1000 in a low-income neighborhood to do so. Then I'll believe you.

Seriously...fuck-off and stop crying for yourself.  I dunno, do some work.  I'll be in the office until 9 yet again...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]
    Harvey Silverglade ( Silverglade & Good ) is one of the more recognizable prominent attorneys in Massachusetts, next to someone like Alan Dershowitz.

That's Harvey Silvergate, and the firm is now Good & Cormier.  Pretty damn good attorneys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]s far as you go; playing the role of Mr. I worked my butt off to be a lawyer. Spare me. The world has so many lawyers; becomming one must not only the easiest profession to get into;

Well then you won't have such a tough time becomming a professional, now will you?

I chose to work that much because I wanted to be at or near the top of my class; it's a lot easier to get a job that way. 

One can certainly do less work and graduate.  A job is another story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

I hate lawyers;  it's too bad they aren't shot at often enough.

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=2885

Sections
Shortcuts