Happy Thanksgiving!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Happy Thanksgiving!

Republican style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9mPfakzOt0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

In Response to Happy Thanksgiving!:
    Republican style! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9mPfakzOt0
    Posted by AlleyCatBruin

AlletCat:

Just watched the video. Too funny. Nicole Simpson as Darlene McBride!!!  May be a parody, but I fear must be something that would not take for a parody in a lot of places...like for eg., OK, and a lot of what the "eastern elite" term the "fly over" states.

Thank you for the laugh. As serious as all this is, my father always told me to keep my sense of humor. Right now I think we all need to try whenever we can. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Alleycat..cute video..but sadly there are probably people who would not understand the parody and would be nodding their heads in agreement.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...hope everyone has an enjoyable day and takes the time to remember that there are those who will not have the luxury of a bountiful Thanksgiving feast and the love of friends and family to share it with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanceWithMe71. Show DanceWithMe71's posts

Happy turkey dayWink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

How original. What's this the fourth or fifth time you've posted this thread? We get it already, you hate anyone who isn't a liberal. How sad for you that you live in such a bitter and hateful mindset.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't occupy an old folks house for that; they overcook turkey and serve the nasty old green bean caserole, also cooked to a fare-the-well.  Occupy a 40ish person's home if you want a decent meal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have several people occupying my house..even though I was hoping to occupy someone else's house for a change. All the same..I make a great turkey/stuffing/gravy if I do say so myself.
    I've never heard of the ice packs..I may have to experiment with those..but I do tent the turkey..and I always buy fresh..never frozen..

Also..God forbid I don't have a pan of lasagna available ( family tradition)...the big joke with me is I always forget to put the same thing out on the table..the cranberry sauce..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving!:
    I have several people occupying my house..even though I was hoping to occupy someone else's house for a change. All the same..I make a great turkey/stuffing/gravy if I do say so myself. I've never heard of the ice packs..I may have to experiment with those..but I do tent the turkey..and I always buy fresh..never frozen.. Also..God forbid I don't have a pan of lasagna available ( family tradition)...the big joke with me is I always forget to put the same thing out on the table..the cranberry sauce..
    Posted by miscricket

Sounds like an Italian family tradition...if I may speculate. Hope you if you do cranberry sauce...you do not do that jellied thing that comes out of a can with a whoosh sound.

And yes, I agree, never a great idea to advise one's mother on how to cook a turkey...esp. in her home where she is the hostess. And again, your mother. A  lot easier being a guest than the hostess...and cheaper. Maybe someday if the situation is reversed, you will find out. God forbid someone gives your wife/partner unsolicited advice on how to cook a turkey when she is the hostess. Including your mother.

Thought everyone might set aside differences and wish everyone else well and a Happy Thanksgiving...no exceptions. If only for a change of pace.

I will start. I wish every one in the forums a Happy Thanksgiving, no exceptions. And of course everyone on the BDC site as well. To echo a previous post, it appears that all of us in the forums have no problem at all having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year. A lot of Americans are not that fortunate. Maybe we can all count our blessings that this year we all are fortunate. None of us knows what next Thanksgiving may look like for any of us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Don't occupy an old folks house for that; they overcook turkey and serve the nasty old green bean caserole, also cooked to a fare-the-well.  Occupy a 40ish person's home if you want a decent meal.
    Posted by kargiver

kargiver:

Found your post very humorous. I personally cannot stand green bean casserole, ever, nor over cooked turkey. When stuck in the past just tried very hard to find anything edible. Like fesh fruit and nuts. Just played basically with the unedible food. Or offered to hold a baby, any baby, so both parents could eat. Win-win.

Also...your quote from the bible. It is one of my favorite quotes. I have the full quote in silk screen in my master bedroom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

Yes Andiejen, we all should enjoy our Thanksgiving holiday because soon the P.C. creeps will be after this one too claiming that it doesn't make newcomers to our country feel inclusive or somthing ridiculous like that.  Sadly, our country is on the highway to oblivion, done in, by our own hands.  Anyway, enjoy the day.  I'm going to!  Food and Football!  What's better than that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

My faviote Thanksgiving tradition is watching Native Americans protesting the evil that is Turkey day. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

It must be Thanksgiving as I'm polishing my suit of armor, which I must always wear when the either my family or my wife's family gets together. 

Anyone else pass the salt by throwing it across the table?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

Undead:  That's funny! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Yes Andiejen, we all should enjoy our Thanksgiving holiday because soon the P.C. creeps will be after this one too claiming that it doesn't make newcomers to our country feel inclusive or somthing ridiculous like that.  Sadly, our country is on the highway to oblivion, done in, by our own hands.  Anyway, enjoy the day.  I'm going to!  Food and Football!  What's better than that?
    Posted by bobcatsr

Heh bobcatsr:

I totally agree with you on on this. Food and Football. I always watch the Detroit Lions. Sometimes get in trouble for sneaking off with the men.

But really, only so many women fit in a kitchen before there are problems. And, I help keep the kids organized...out of the kitchen...playing nicely...etc.

Have a great one!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Undead:  That's funny! 
    Posted by bobcatsr

I agree. Sometimes take an in-law break and do Thansgiving with very good friends.  A lot less stress.

Also works when all the parents live in another state and you have to work on Friday. Glad so many companies changed that rule. It is a great out.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I plan on occupying the old folks' house and demanding turkey!
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

See you there! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

It is politically incorrect to call it Thanksgiving.  According to the Occupiers, it has been renamed:  Thanks-taking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Thanksgiving! : And this year the Detroit game (Green Bay) is actually important! Go Lions gobble gobble
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Agreed. Go Lions!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

"....if you do cranberry sauce...you do not do that jellied thing that comes out of a can with a whoosh sound "

Andiejen, sorry to disappoint but that's a tradition on our table.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

It's not funny. I wish it was but it's not.

If I told you what a major holiday consisted of when I was a teenager you'd have my relatives arrested for child labor laws. 
     I promised myself I'd never ever allow myself to be a part of a large family gathering again. Alas, I got married, and although my wife's family isn't as bad as my extended relatives, they have their own issues, one of which is me usually ducking out of the festivities as I work nights and tend to go to bed at 3pm (and eating turkey doesn't help this problem). 
     Add that to the fights over the remote, the Wii, available seating, and the one particular person who likes to throw insults at everyone over the stupidest things (they actually insulted me last year because my plate wasn't colorful enough in that it only had turkey, potatoes, and corn on it) and you start to understand why I say 'throw the salt across the table'.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

My faviote Thanksgiving tradition is watching Native Americans protesting the evil that is Turkey day. 
    Posted by shumirules

You probably would have volunteered to command the Trail of Tears.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

It's not funny. I wish it was but it's not.  If I told you what a major holiday consisted of when I was a teenager you'd have my relatives arrested for child labor laws.   I promised myself I'd never ever allow myself to be a part of a large family gathering again. Alas, I got married, and although my wife's family isn't as bad as my extended relatives, they have their own issues, one of which is me usually ducking out of the festivities as I work nights and tend to go to bed at 3pm (and eating turkey doesn't help this problem).   Add that to the fights over the remote, the Wii, available seating, and the one particular person who likes to throw insults at everyone over the stupidest things (they actually insulted me last year because my plate wasn't colorful enough in that it only had turkey, potatoes, and corn on it) and you start to understand why I say 'throw the salt across the table'.  
    Posted by undead

I have been throw my trials with my in-laws, including and esp. my mother-in-law.

IMO, and what a lot professionals advise, each spouse is in charge of their family. I know this is not funny.

You might try approaching your spouse, knowing history will probably repeat itself, and tell her how you feel. That she needs to get her family reigned in regarding you. 

If not, then take 2 cars, if it goes on, excuse yourself, and leave.  Or, just keep the car keys, pull your spouse aside, say I am done we are leaving. Leave whether she leaves with or without you.

Otherwise, you may be looking at years of the same. The worst, you stay at home, watch the Lions-Packers in peace, and your spouse now knows how dead serious you are.  That she needs to back up her husband ahead of her out of control family.

Next year, have it at home. Stop and Stop sells an entire dinner. Invite who you want. Your house, your rules. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I'd rather be at home, by myself, playing video games during major holidays, but this isn't possible anymore.

My form of revenge, currently is two-fold:

1. I control the remote. The niece and nephew want to watch SpongeBob? Tough. At Thanksgiving, I turn on the games. At Christmas, it's Christmas Story all day.

2. I have the most powerful laptop of everyone in the family and they all want to use it. Over my dead body, and that goes double for the niece and nephew. 
     The reason it's so popular is that it plays DVDs very smoothly, not to mention it'll load a game 4 times as fast as anyone else's laptop.
     It, however, belongs to me, and they all know it. I will, however, whilst using it to play a game, also keep track of the sports games on yahoo, thus appeasing most of the adults who can't see the tv. 

And this Thanksgiving is going to be interesting. The eldest brother-in-law decided to try and make the turkey on his own this year. The age old question of does it hold a candle to grandma's will once again be put on trial, and I don't have to tell any of you about the battle that can lead to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I'd rather be at home, by myself, playing video games during major holidays, but this isn't possible anymore.  My form of revenge, currently is two-fold:  1. I control the remote. The niece and nephew want to watch SpongeBob? Tough. At Thanksgiving, I turn on the games. At Christmas, it's Christmas Story all day.  2. I have the most powerful laptop of everyone in the family and they all want to use it. Over my dead body, and that goes double for the niece and nephew.   The reason it's so popular is that it plays DVDs very smoothly, not to mention it'll load a game 4 times as fast as anyone else's laptop.  It, however, belongs to me, and they all know it. I will, however, whilst using it to play a game, also keep track of the sports games on yahoo, thus appeasing most of the adults who can't see the tv.    And this Thanksgiving is going to be interesting. The eldest brother-in-law decided to try and make the turkey on his own this year. The age old question of does it hold a candle to grandma's will once again be put on trial, and I don't have to tell any of you about the battle that can lead to.
    Posted by undead

undead:

1st:  Good luck with your two-fold plan.

2nd: Please report back with how it worked out....esp. for all of us who have been tortured by their in-laws over the years and had anything but a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sections
Shortcuts