Increased potency of marijuana alarms some

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1159153. Show user_1159153's posts

Recent studies conclude that marijuana's potency has increased dramatically over the years, with an average THC potency of about 9 percent.

"Many of the parents who smoked pot in the '70s and even the '80s, whenit was less than 1 percent potency, really don't understand that it's avery different drug," Joseph A. Califano Jr., founding chairman andpresident of the center at Columbia, said in an interview.

What do you make of these findings?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhmojo. Show nhmojo's posts

More propaganda from the government.  Spewing falsehoods and poorly supported numbers to further entrench negative stereotypes. 

I smoke pot.  I'm in my 40's educated, professionally employed, a property owner, registered voter and happily married to an officer of the court.  I have smoked pot with engineers, artists, financial VPs, local and state law enforcement officers, politicians, academics and more. 

And the line about pot at <1% potency is a joke--if it is under 1% potency it isn't pot--it's hemp. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

More lies re: one of the biggest, most ridiculous witch hunts ever undertaken by our government and big business, namely the oil companies, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and plastics industries.

I challenge anyone to name one good reason for the continued prohibition of marijuana - not to mention the institutional repression of industrialized hemp as a viable raw material for the production of food, oil, clothing, paper, plastics, medicine, agri-chemicals, paints, cleansers, building materials, etc., etc....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from insideout1234. Show insideout1234's posts

Oh please do not get me started on what the biggest farce in America is.
    The war on drugs. 
    Please.  All it did was create MORE crime, clog up our prisons, and hasn't taken ANY bite out of the prevlant use of illegal drugs.  Pot is probably the MOST unaddictive one out there (in fact, I would argue it is addictive at all, but that is purely my opinion). 
    We could wipe out the deficit if we just legalized the stuff. You could tax it, you could control it (just like booze) put age minimums on it and guess what---You would wipe out AN ENTIRE blackmarket of druglords etc.
    Oh I know--silly me.  Drugs are bad for you. Yeah, like downing a pint of Jack Daniels is good for you.

Prohibition didn't work the first time--why do we keep trying to convince ourself it is working this time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

This debate is decades tiresome. Marijuana was demonized by the cotton & alcohol industry's initially(ever see Reefer Madness?) and the fact that it persists today is somewhere between laughable, nauseating and absurd. Alcohol and tobacco are easily more destructive in my mind, but I don't think  even they should be outlawed. If it were legal and you could grow it organically in your outdoor garden it would probably also make the toxicity levels more reasonable as well. But instead let's use our tax dollars to jail harmless citizens and waste our law enforcement officials time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebecca999. Show rebecca999's posts

Thank you.. its so pathetic, each generation thinks they are better than the other but we are just getting faster and more technical and poorer.  I am smoker from the 80's, still smoke, enjoy it.    I am smoking know with some of my friend's kids who are now teens.  Its not the drugs that is hurting them its this world.  They are angry and crazier than we were and its NOT because of Pot. 

They could do something about this rotten economy if it was legalized...  but instead we'll let the gays get married, we'll keep making the rich richer, education and healthcare less affordable.

I am educated, good citizen, never been arrested and want to see it legalized

Oh please do not get me started on what the biggest farce in America is.
    The war on drugs. 
    Please.  All it did was create MORE crime, clog up our prisons, and hasn't taken ANY bite out of the prevlant use of illegal drugs.  Pot is probably the MOST unaddictive one out there (in fact, I would argue it is addictive at all, but that is purely my opinion). 
    We could wipe out the deficit if we just legalized the stuff. You could tax it, you could control it (just like booze) put age minimums on it and guess what---You would wipe out AN ENTIRE blackmarket of druglords etc.
    Oh I know--silly me.  Drugs are bad for you. Yeah, like downing a pint of Jack Daniels is good for you.

Prohibition didn't work the first time--why do we keep trying to convince ourself it is working this time.[/Quote]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottybass. Show scottybass's posts

regarding potency - does anyone drink 8 oz of espresso at one time? of course not! 
       same goes for pot. if you have bad weed you need to smoke a lot to get high. if you have good weed, you smoke less to get high (meanwhile you are inhaling less smoke which, health-wise, is less harmful)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoDubya. Show BoDubya's posts

it's called evolution/domestication.  it's been taking place for quite a while now on this planet.  in 40 years you'll just have to look at some weed and you'll get stoned.  sweet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

uhhmmmm, I forgot what I was going to post

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkkite. Show jkkite's posts

"Many of the parents who smoked pot in the '70s and even the '80s, when it was less than 1 percent potency, really don't understand that it's a very different drug," Joseph A. Califano Jr., founding chairman andpresident of the center at Columbia, said in an interview.

ha-ha! classic propaganda. I'd say many of the folks smoking in the 70s and 80s still are. So they know a hell of alot more about it then some fool doing a 'study'.  as everyone here so far agrees, weed being illegal is one of the biggest jokes in our society today...right up there w/Al Gore. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmantwo. Show catmantwo's posts

I have yet to see any pot better than the stuff I used to get in the early '80's. It's all in who you know, and what you can afford.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

So because your family has failings we should all suffer repression? Remember what happened last time we have prohibition?

[Quote]I'm all for the continued outlaw.  I'm also ready to bring back prohibition on booze, too.  Alcohol and drugs have done nothing good for my family nor my wife's family.  In our experience, they have caused nothing but brokenness.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonwalt. Show Bostonwalt's posts

A guy like George Carlin would really enjoy this debate...a number of years ago ABC news did a special on "America's other cash crop" and it concluded if pot was legalized we could wipe out the national debt in a couple of years. 

Legalize it, tax it and let law enforcement do their jobs....fighting real crime.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from weenote. Show weenote's posts

[Quote]I'm all for the continued outlaw.  I'm also ready to bring back prohibition on booze, too.  Alcohol and drugs have done nothing good for my family nor my wife's family.  In our experience, they have caused nothing but brokenness.[/Quote]...

My condolences to you and your family.  However, should your bad experience give you the inclination and/or right to tell others what they can and cannot do?  Also, did the illegality of drugs prevent your family from accessing drugs?  Food addictions can also cause "brokenness."  Should we tell people what they can and cannot eat and how much?  Some people are terrible drivers and cause a great deal of suffering.  Should we ban cars?

Please consider the principle of individual responsibility before you try to prevent others from behaving in a way that you cannot or will not. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaegerkreig. Show jaegerkreig's posts

i still smoke but i certainly haven't come across any 'potent' pot. i wish it were legal.

Sections
Shortcuts