Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage?

"U.S. regulators ended an investigation into why Chevrolet Volt electric cars caught fire, and said electric vehicles do not pose a greater risk of fire.

The conclusion by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration came two weeks after General Motors Co. (GM) told owners to bring the vehicles to dealerships for repair. "

Two weeks?  Has the government EVER done anything in two weeks?  How many months did the agency dawdle around with a non-existent Toyota accelerator problem?

This is what happens when you allow government and business to co-mingle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Re: Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage?

Volt sales are burning up!
    Oops. I mean Volts are burning up.

The government never will admit or allow the truth of their disaster. They will double down on phony bookkeeping, and "invest" more of our tax money to cover their failure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

Maybe that is because the tested vehicles took over two weeks to start smoking and they never actually caught fire. Gm only issued the recall to address concerns that the electric cells, when abused by crash testing, were leaking material that is essentially toxic waste if not contained.  Just like the fuel in your gas tank.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe that is because the tested vehicles took over two weeks to start smoking and they never actually caught fire. Gm only issued the recall to address concerns that the electric cells, when abused by crash testing, were leaking material that is essentially toxic waste if not contained.  Just like the fuel in your gas tank.
    Posted by topaz978[/QUOTE]

Yet, you have no problem with the federal government dragging Toyota through the mud for months for what turned out to be a non-existent problem?

Seems to me that Toyota was unfairly punished for a non-problem, and with GM , the problem is being swept under the rug because the feds have skin in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Skeeter I think we should trust the Feds on this one, I mean it would be crazy to think that they would ever lie to us about anything.

Also who knows more about running a car company then Obama.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Skeeter I think we should trust the Feds on this one, I mean it would be crazy to think that they would ever lie to us about anything. Also who knows more about running a car company then Obama.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

Yep, guess I am going to have to trust you on this one.  The government would never do something bad.  I guess keeping business ad government as separate as possible just keeps them out of each others pockets.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage? : Yet, you have no problem with the federal government dragging Toyota through the mud for months for what turned out to be a non-existent problem? Seems to me that Toyota was unfairly punished for a non-problem, and with GM , the problem is being swept under the rug because the feds have skin in the game.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]
     Not at all. The tested cars that leaked were in the testing yard of a contractor. Toyota had its cars on the road in LARGE numbers. Yes it is a numbers game but more to do with the numbers on the road. Than the numbers in the crash test yard. But we do not know for sure that the Toyota issue is settled.  It is not clear that it is a non issue. It may or maynot  be a programming problem. What we know is that in testing it has not been reproduced. Been there SOOO many times with software issues over the last 20 years. Toyota may have a problem although a small one, but they have so many cars on the road that it showed up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is the Government giving GM an unfair advantage? :  Not at all. The tested cars that leaked were in the testing yard of a contractor. Toyota had its cars on the road in LARGE numbers. Yes it is a numbers game but more to do with the numbers on the road. Than the numbers in the crash test yard. But we do not know for sure that the Toyota issue is settled.  It is not clear that it is a non issue. It may or maynot  be a programming problem. What we know is that in testing it has not been reproduced. Been there SOOO many times with software issues over the last 20 years. Toyota may have a problem although a small one, but they have so many cars on the road that it showed up.
    Posted by topaz978[/QUOTE]

OK, so your defense is that the Volt was not a success, therefore less of an issue.  Some merit, not much.

As far as I can find, there was never an actual problem found by anyone with Toyota relating to an actual problem.  yet, they were hauled in front of Congress and made to implement fixes anyways.

So, one cannot help but look at the two and see an example of what happens when we give the government too much power in these situations, either for the good or bad.  You have a known problem, swept under the rug through the various government oversight agencies, and you have a nonexistent problem that may have been manipulated for political gain.