Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas

Again, Thomas having trouble with the truth.

And again, the Koch boys turn up, quietly.

Discrepancies in reports about an appearance by Justice Clarence Thomas at a political retreat for wealthy conservatives three years ago have prompted new questions to theSupreme Court from a group that advocates changing campaign finance laws.

Alex Wong/Getty Images

Justice Clarence Thomas appeared at a political retreat in 2008.

Blogs

The Caucus

The latest on President Obama, the new Congress and other news from Washington and around the nation. Join the discussion.

Eric Thayer for The New York Times

Protesters showed up at another assembly last month in Palm Springs, Calif.

Readers' Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

When questions were first raised about the retreat last month, a court spokeswoman said Justice Thomas had made a “brief drop-by” at the event in Palm Springs, Calif., in January 2008 and had given a talk.

In his financial disclosure report for that year, however, Justice Thomas reported that theFederalist Society, a prominent conservative legal group, had reimbursed him an undisclosed amount for four days of “transportation, meals and accommodations” over the weekend of the retreat. The event is organized by Charles and David Koch, brothers who have used millions of dollars from the energy conglomerate they run in Wichita, Kan., to finance conservative causes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

Re: Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas

Thomas should be impeached or lynched or both

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

In Response to Re: Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas:
    Thomas should be impeached or lynched or both
    Posted by lawboy

Wow.  You might want to throttle back on the hate speech...probably could even be considered a threat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8101956. Show 8101956's posts

@ law boy I agree with about impeachment. BUT DON'T USE RACIST REMARK TO  MAKE YOUR POINT. We don't need or want your racist comments here. There is TOO MUCH WRONG with our world today for hate. We use some political incorrectness here but no racism or sexism. If you want to make a joke out of somebody by all means do it or tell somebody he or she is full of it that is alright. Try to make your point for or against with facts that you can back up and try use a little bit of correct grammer. Other than that come back when you have grown up , racist !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8101956. Show 8101956's posts

To Rushfan2112 BRAVO !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

@ law boy I agree with about impeachment. BUT DON'T USE RACIST REMARK TO  MAKE YOUR POINT. We don't need or want your racist comments here. There is TOO MUCH WRONG with our world today for hate. We use some political incorrectness here but no racism or sexism. If you want to make a joke out of somebody by all means do it or tell somebody he or she is full of it that is alright. Try to make your point for or against with facts that you can back up and try use a little bit of correct grammer. Other than that come back when you have grown up , racist !
    Posted by 8101956

Well said.  Bravo back at you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I find it interesting, all this interest from the left on Thomas.  I guess they figure they will not get another shot at putting a liberal on the supreme court, so, they are trying to do in Thomas, so they then can nominate another strick unconstitutionalist.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

Sorry gents...I didn't convey my meaning very well. I was referring to when Thomas spoke at his hearing and said "this was a lynching a modern a day lynching"

To those who are naive and think racism does not exist on both sides then YOU need to grow up. I see it everyday, I hear it everyday. Walk the walk before you talk little man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill1013. Show bill1013's posts

Thomas will be remembered as one of the most ineffective justices in the history of the Supreme Court. The silent man hasn't spoken a word during court proceedings during the past five years. Exactly what does he do there, anyway, other than posing as a poster child for the right wing? George H.W. Bush should be ashamed for appointing this obviously unqualified person to the Supreme Court.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Sorry gents...I didn't convey my meaning very well. I was referring to when Thomas spoke at his hearing and said "this was a lynching a modern a day lynching" To those who are naive and think racism does not exist on both sides then YOU need to grow up. I see it everyday, I hear it everyday. Walk the walk before you talk little man.
    Posted by lawboy

You are misqouting Ron Reagan.  the quote is:

"Well, the're you go again"

The last president that actually was an adult.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

In Response to Re: Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas : You are misqouting Ron Reagan.  the quote is: "Well, the're you go again" The last president that actually was an adult.
    Posted by skeeter20

skeeter you dunce, did RR misspell it too. You are wrong. If you remove the apostrophe you end up with "Well, they are you go again"  LOL it's
    T-H-E-R-E   OK   S-T-U-P-I-D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas : skeeter you dunce, did RR misspell it too. You are wrong. If you remove the apostrophe you end up with "Well, they are you go again"  LOL it's T-H-E-R-E   OK   S-T-U-P-I-D
    Posted by lawboy

Yep. The speeling police are out in force.  sorry for the mispelling.  Wnat to haul me off to an international tribunal?

Hate defines you, lawboy.  Seriously.  you need to stop the hate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

I see dumb people

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I see dumb people
    Posted by lawboy

you must have just walked by a mirror.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

You don't have a leg to stand on skeetertool. You've plainly shown your ignorance and you should be embarrassed at your profound stupidity.

See it's your not you're which is you are.....just trying to help you out....moron.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

In Response to Re: Koch Brothers and Clarence Thomas : You are misqouting Ron Reagan.  the quote is: "Well, the're you go again" The last president that actually was an adult.
    Posted by skeeter20

To bad he couldnt remember that in Iran / Contra and be a adult and admit he lied by saying i dont know when he did know.

Then again ever since JFK the right has been looking for a hero. To bad they chose Reagan who by no stretch was a conservative and who was created on a Hollywood stage next to a monkey. And lets not get into the deficit spending under him or the 8 tax hikes .  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

You don't have a leg to stand on skeetertool. You've plainly shown your ignorance and you should be embarrassed at your profound stupidity. See it's your not you're which is you are.....just trying to help you out....moron.
    Posted by lawboy

Hahaha.  fool.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Just to refresh our memories -- the $600K that Thomas forgot to declare on his disclosure forms was money that his wife had earned over five years working for the right-wing group Liberty Central.   Then he does the four-day drop by for the Koch boys, again forgetting that he was actually paid for four days of .... something.  Wonder how much he was paid? Which, by itself, wouldn't be so bad -- just another politician with his hand out. The problem was that he didn't recuse himself from the Citizens United case, which gave the big corporations -- like those in Koch Industries -- the ability to hide their contributions to groups like Liberty Central. So for all we know, Koch Industries paid Virginia Thomas $600K, but didn't have to report it. How do I know?  I don't, but thanks to Thomas' (and Scalia's -- he was at the Koch party, too) lack of honesty, we don't know that it isn't true, either.
    Posted by Ergoetal

so, you admit you don't know, yet you accuse anyways.  I guess in your mind, that's ok.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts