Man Kills Himself In Wife’s Hospital Room

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Man Kills Himself In Wife’s Hospital Room

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/08/12/man-kills-himself-in-wifes-hospital-room/

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston police are trying to determine why a man fatally shot himself while in his wife’s hospital room just hours after she gave birth.

Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva says the husband, whose name hasn’t been released, died Monday at Memorial Hermann Hospital.

A spokesman for Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, where the shooting happened Sunday afternoon, says police promptly secured the area and people in the vicinity were not in danger.

While the hospital has a no-gun policy, one hospital visitor expressed concern that maybe more should be done to keep the area safe and secure.

It's unbelievable that this scofflaw would ignore a no-gun policy. I'll be he also exceeded the posted speed limit. Y'know, before he killed himself.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Re: Man Kills Himself In Wife’s Hospital Room

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

It's unbelievable that this scofflaw would ignore a no-gun policy.

Is this the beginnings of an implied argument that therefore we should not have any no-gun policies?

Careful.... that line of reasoning leads to a truly absurd result.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Just pointing out the absolute absurdity of declaring a space a "gun free zone." You might as well put up a sign in a convenience store that says "No thieves allowed on premise" or "Rapes will not be permitted" at a Occupy something event.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Just pointing out the absolute absurdity of declaring a space a "gun free zone." You might as well put up a sign in a convenience store that says "No thieves allowed on premise" or "Rapes will not be permitted" at a Occupy something event.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

It's not a complete absurdity, though.

Take universities for example. Declaring them gun-free is not going to stop a mass shooter, that's true. But, it can be seen as a pretty common sense way to separate guns from college kids, because quite a few college kids spend much of their time blasted 8 ways from Sunday. Guns and intoxication don't mix.

Depending on the zone that is gun free, there may be perfectly legitimate reasons other than stopping the stereotypical bad guy with a gun.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ABRAXAS 1's comment:

One would expect logical reasons for having a 'no guns allowed' or 'gun free zone' signs but are there laws that would backup such signs?

As in, is there a statute out there specifically authorizing premises to establish them? I do not know.

Bear in mind that I private entities get a lot of leeway setting rules for what people can and cannot do on their premises -- no shirt/no service, etc. - though there are of course constitutional limits, ie, a private business open to serve the public cannot discriminate on the basis of race...

Public property restrictions obviously must pass constitutional muster.

I'm not aware of any pending cases attempting to challenge a gun free zone as a violation of the 2nd Amd., though I'd be surprised if there aren't any working their way through the courts. The NRA has gotten increasingly libertarian/far right, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're bankrolling some suits.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ABRAXAS 1's comment:

What kind of lawsuits?

It seems, to me, that the 'Brady Bill' crowd would be the ones bankrolling such lawsuits, not the NRA. 

The property owner/s would have to enforce their own rules - not the police.

Well, someone would have to bring a gun into a gun free zone, get kicked off, and then file suit for a "declaratory judgment" that the gun free policy violates the individual right to bear arms. This wouldn't be a suit for money damages, so lawyers would want hourly fees - hence the bankrolling remark.

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts