Obama says children should learn to speak Spanish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

These suppose patriots want to keep the purity of the race, so as a gatekeeper of the White  American culture it is important that we keep citizens learning nothing absoluty nothing from others cultures, this has to be done to preserve the grandiosity of the MAerican culture and to avoid that get contaminated with others languages.

VIVA LA IGNORANCIA , HAGAMOS AMERICA UN PAIS DE UN MONTON DE IGNORANTES.

VOTE REPUBLICANO ASI ASEGURARA QUE SERA IGNORANTE TODA SU VIDA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

We are falling behind in math and science. Most kids (and adults for that matter) can't write a grammatically correct sentence, let alone speak the language correctly. Let's get the the basics in order before we start worrying about foreign languages.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]Can I see your green card?[/Quote]

Who are you to show you my status? This is another proof of what I said: IGNORANT. Why do you assume  that I have a green card? Because I wrotte in Spanish ? Is this the new status that you want to be stablished in this country? the more ignorant the more you proof your american citizenship?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pollie. Show pollie's posts

Thanks pensapositivo! Good words! I am tired of these ignorant, warmongering knuckledraggers too. I am a WASP, but realized at a very early age the amount of education one can get from travelling abroad for even just a week. It makes you see things from other POV, and not the Fox News one. 
    [Quote]Who are you to show you my status? This is another proof of what I said: IGNORANT. Why do you assume  that I have a green card? Because I wrotte in Spanish ? Is this the new status that you want to be stablished in this country? the more ignorant the more you proof your american citizenship?[/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote] We are falling behind in math and science. Most kids (and adults for that matter) can't write a grammatically correct sentence, let alone speak the language correctly. Let's get the the basics in order before we start worrying about foreign languages.[/Quote]

This is the mistake that Americans do in reference to education. They think that the kids can not handle more than one subject.

When I brought my son to the US he  was totally bored at the school  because the challenges were too easy. Before he came to the US he went to the school from 8 AM to 5PM , he had 14 classes, among them

Biology, Physics , Chemestry , Math
    Castillian, French and English
    History, geography
    Art, Manual workshops
    Psicology, Gimnastics

Here he had only six classes. 

I think that American culture is becoming less demanding about itself and loosing sight of what going on worlwide. This is a clear example, today global economy is demanding that people have more skills, among them languages.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyffromNH. Show TeddyffromNH's posts

There is nothing wrong with Barak Obama.  Like most liberals, he believes America owes the world a favor and that the world should bath in the innate rights American citizens enjoy.  Speaking Spanish has nothing to do with citizenship, but speaking only English in the US violates the "One World One People" garbage the left clings too.  Obama has done an ok job hiding the fact he is an ultra left wing liberal.  Now and then his agenda shines through.  Raicst a-holes like ppannos could care less who is elected president, so long as they pledge allegiance to La Raza and Azatalan nut jobs.  Bush has built the coffin for this country, and thanks to clueless, voters who's only idea of solid foreign, domestic and military strategy is the word "Change", Obama will drive 8 years worth of nails into the coffin.  Two wrongs (McCain or Obama) don't make a right.  We need to get out of Iraq, fix our Southern Borders, become energy independent, and most of all make the dollar worth more than any other currency in the world.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[Quote]This is the mistake that Americans do in reference to education. They think that the kids can not handle more than one subject.

When I brought my son to the US he  was totally bored at the school  because the challenges were too easy. Before he came to the US he went to the school from 8 AM to 5PM , he had 14 classes, among them

History, geography
    Art, Manual workshops
    Psicology, Gimnastics

I think that American culture is becoming less demanding about itself and loosing sight of what going on worlwide. This is a clear example, today global economy is demanding that people have more skills, among them languages.[/Quote]

Then why do other countries send their kids here to get an education instead of the other way around?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]Oh my god, he wants us to, gasp, learn a second language? Horrors!  That might make us, gasp, smart?  More competitive in the world economy?  Oh no!  We like being stupid, this man must be stopped![/Quote]
    Knowing Spanish will make us more competitive in the world economy huh? Want to re-think that one??? Our kids should be excelling at math and science if we want to be competitive in the world economy. Learning a second language is a nice-to-have
    If you go to France you should learn French. If you go to Italy you should learn Italian. If you go to the US you should learn English. Not the other way around. 
    And FYI - knowing a second language does not make one smart. It might be a smart idea to learn a second language. But learning one does not automatically make one smart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]This is the mistake that Americans do in reference to education. They think that the kids can not handle more than one subject.

History, geography
    Art, Manual workshops
    Psicology, Gimnastics

I think that American culture is becoming less demanding about itself and loosing sight of what going on worlwide. This is a clear example, today global economy is demanding that people have more skills, among them languages.[/Quote]
    Do you realize you contradicted yourself. At the beginning of your rant you stated that Americans don't think their kids can handle more than one subject. But then you mention that your kid had SIX classes when it was in school in the US. So were these SIX classes all the same subject???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[Quote]These suppose patriots want to keep the purity of the race, so as a gatekeeper of the White  American culture it is important that we keep citizens learning nothing absoluty nothing from others cultures, this has to be done to preserve the grandiosity of the MAerican culture and to avoid that get contaminated with others languages.

¡Ver que puedo hacer esto también! Debo ser brillante porque puedo escribir en dos lenguas...

¡Vote a demócrata o al republicano sin cerrar la frontera y echar a todos los emigrantes ilegales y no habrá ninguna América para defender!

Not real hard... There is no real American culture other than working hard, learning English and making a better life for yourself and family. We have and do welcome many to our shores every year LEGALLY! We need to get rid of those who came illegally and refuse to learn "our" language! I would never go to France or Germany and demand that they speak English. It is rude. When then is it ok for others to come to America and demand we learn Spanish? Can you say double standard?

BTW, English is the recognized language around the world right now for business and finance. I worked with many multi-national corps all over the world and their employees spoke English. That was the common language for employees all over the world.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3290623. Show user_3290623's posts

Que pasa, what's up with the hiccups?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IamYourDaddy. Show IamYourDaddy's posts

[Quote]Oh my god, he wants us to, gasp, learn a second language? Horrors!  That might make us, gasp, smart?  More competitive in the world economy?  Oh no!  We like being stupid, this man must be stopped![/Quote]

well duhhhh .... English is the office language for Business... so why the F%^^   should we leanr Spanish

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

My only issue relates to supporting illegals (country of origin neutral). They are draining this country econimically and socially.

DO YOU AGREE?

I don't.  From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33783-2004Aug25.html
    (original report at http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html):

The Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington-based group thatadvocates tougher immigration policies, used Census Bureau figures tocompare the revenue that illegal immigrants contribute through taxeswith the cost of government services they use.

"Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than$26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only$16 billion in taxes, creating a net fiscal deficit of $10.4 billion," said Steven A. Camarota, author ofthe study.

The costs outlined in the report include governmentservices such as Medicaid, medical treatment for the uninsured, foodassistance programs, the federal prison and court systems, and federalaid to schools.

So the total cost to the federal government is $10 billion per year, out of a budget of nearly $3 trillion (about 0.3%).  That's not draining this country, that's freakin' peanuts ... and that's the computation by an anti-illegal immigrant organization that includes $1.6 billion/year in court and prison costs as a "service" that the illegals are taking advantage of.

I got a LOT of problems with having 12 million illegals in this country, but let's face it ... they are NOT a huge drain on our taxes, and huge sectors of our economy would collapse without them.  I realize this is an emotional issue, but let's try to keep the discussions grounded in fact, please.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

What else did Obama say in addition to this one sentence?

"Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English.  But ... YOU should be thinking about, how can YOUR childbecome bilingual? We should have EVERY child speaking more than onelanguage."

Not so bad when you don't take that one sentence out of context.  He's NOT saying we should adopt Spanish as a second language in this country, the way Canada has English and French.  He's saying we should strive not to be a national of monolingual English speakers, as that puts us at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world.  And Spanish is a FINE second language ... recall that most of an entire continent and a half in our own hemisphere speaks Spanish, and trade with them will only grow in the future...but not the ONLY option.

Is there anyone out there who thinks we should NOT be teaching our children second languages?  Didn't think so.  Then why are we even discussion this?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ferial. Show Ferial's posts

So you want your children to grow up to be just as ignorant as you are?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[Quote]The costs outlined in the report include governmentservices such as Medicaid, medical treatment for the uninsured, foodassistance programs, the federal prison and court systems, and federalaid to schools.

So the total cost to the federal government is $10 billion per year, out of a budget of nearly $3 trillion (about 0.3%). 

Monster, you are right about it not being a big drain on a $3 trillion dollar budget. What you are missing is it is a HUGE drain on a small community hospitals budget. Hospitals don't get paid dollar for dollar from Medicare they get @85 cents on a dollar (less if you look at what BCBS, Tufts etc pay). That also doesn't account for the hospital needing to have interpreters on 24/7 at their cost not reimbursed. Add into that the legal immigrants and citizens who have to wait longer to get services because it takes about 30% longer to treat people who don't speak English.

It is a large drain on the access to care and hence the quality of care for people who are here legally. It has gotten to a point that it is a crisis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote]
    Do you realize you contradicted yourself. At the beginning of your rant you stated that Americans don't think their kids can handle more than one subject. But then you mention that your kid had SIX classes when it was in school in the US. So were these SIX classes all the same subject???

[/Quote]

Pensapovitivo:
    Although I agree that nobody should ridicule learning a second language and some of the attitudes here are assinine, will you please get off of your high horse?  14 subjects?? Any child taking 14 subjects could not be learning any of them very well.

And although a lot of people go on about how our kids are getting so dumb, the fact is, sad as it may be, that the gulf between those who are well educated and those who are not is getting wider.  I have two teenagers who have rigorous curriculums - neither of them has EVER had 14 subjects, and I can't see how that could ever be a good idea.

Of course, us "lazy" Americans think our kids should eat and sleep and get some excercise once in a while.  I have read about kids in Korea who go to school from 7 AM until 10 PM - somthing will give somewhere along the way - and you are not going to have very healthy, well-rounded adults.

And of course, the Koreans do this all so their children can go to an American university.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from engfant. Show engfant's posts

Language is essential to learning. I wish I was multilingual. My kids will be no doubt and still be able to learn math.

Teachers have more nonsense to worry about before the actual teaching begins. Too busy worrying about a kid with a plastic spork or peanut butter sangwitch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Other countries are learning English because it's a world-wide "middle ground".  Except in the United States, we can barely teach our own the language and don't require foreigners to learn it at all.  In fact, we run the other way, pacifying and accomodating foreigners (especially Spanish due to the numbers).  America is sliding backwards in so many ways. 

More competitive in the world economy how?  There are more Chinese in manland China learning English than in the entire United States and Japanese start English lessons now as early as kindergarden.  Why?  It is a language that they can use to not only compete better worldwide as well as communicate with each other on a wider spectrum.  Countries like that go to the larger spoken language around the globe.  The US retreats the other way.  We're going in the worst direction possible.  They already know world events better than us, they know our own history better than us, why not get to the point that they speak the language better than us too?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pizza04. Show Pizza04's posts

Who cares about Spanish!  I would rather have my children learn (and they are) the language of their grandparents and great-grandparents, since the language was lost when they (great-grandparents) immegrated to the U.S.  This way they will be able to speak in the language of the country that they are visiting and feel comfortable there.  Spanish will do them no good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English — they’ll learn English — you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish." BO

What is wrong with this man?

We don't do anything to require them to learn...America accomodates them way too much. 

And why Spanish?  We'd better be learn Mandarin Chinese.  They already own us financially.  Learn now before they rule the world and over-run us and everyone else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

I took Spanish in school and barely remember anything at all. However, it does help students' cognitive skills. I'm not sure why, but people who study foreign languages are better at most other subjects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kesj. Show kesj's posts

Actually, learning a second language is a good thing. However, learning the Spanish language is probably not the best choice for someone functioning in the advanced economies of the world. For instance, one might choose French which is the language of diplomacy. Others may choose to read Chemistry journals in German or perhaps Chinese to function in the world's most populous country. There is little reason to put non-Castillian Spanish be near the top of list.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kesj. Show kesj's posts

Actually, learning a second language is a good thing. However, learning the Spanish language is probably not the best choice for someone functioning in the advanced economies of the world. For instance, one might choose French which is the language of diplomacy. Others may choose to read Chemistry journals in German or perhaps Chinese to function in the world's most populous country. There is little reason to put non-Castillian Spanish be near the top of list.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoDubya. Show BoDubya's posts

i don't know - there's a part of me that wants americans to stay ignorant.  the less i americans i see abroad the better.  if you want to see the world, just go to disney land.

Sections
Shortcuts