Obama says children should learn to speak Spanish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoFreaknSpin. Show NoFreaknSpin's posts

I'm curious as to why Obama thinks our children should learn to speak Spanish? What possible benefit would it be for them to learn Spanish? Will Spanish be added to the MCAS?

How can Obama in his right mind or left mind believe that immigrants will learn English? Does anyone think Obama's kids speak Spanish?

Please people, focus on the issues and vote based on your core beliefs, not on race, gender, age, income or because you don't like what Bush has done for the last 8 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGoodTimesAreKillingMe. Show TheGoodTimesAreKillingMe's posts

Hey Osama...err Obama,

I will learn to speak Spanish when my children receive free education, hospitalization, and don't have to pay taxes... just like most of the Spanish and Portuguese speaking people living (illegally)in this country
    !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123xyz. Show 123xyz's posts

[Quote]Oh my god, he wants us to, gasp, learn a second language? Horrors!  That might make us, gasp, smart?  More competitive in the world economy?  Oh no!  We like being stupid, this man must be stopped![/Quote]

do you honestly believe that learning spanish will make us more competitive in the world economy? wow. we're in bigger trouble than i thought. spanish will do NOTHING to better our children. they need to learn mandarin, japanese, indian languages. get a clue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pollie. Show pollie's posts

Zeig Heil my friend!

[Quote]Hey Osama...err Obama,

I will learn to speak Spanish when my children receive free education, hospitalization, and don't have to pay taxes... just like most of the Spanish and Portuguese speaking people living (illegally)in this country
    ![/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Timo. Show Timo's posts

[Quote] We are falling behind in math and science. Most kids (and adults for that matter) can't write a grammatically correct sentence, let alone speak the language correctly. Let's get the the basics in order before we start worrying about foreign languages.[/Quote]

We spend six thousand dollars per student per year on public educatation in this country and our students can't read and write english.  Teach them spanish, not French or German but Spanish. That's the answer?  Teach them Spanish.? They can learn how to feel good about themselves in Spanish too.God help us. That's all I can say   God help us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbuilder. Show bostonbuilder's posts

learning languages growing up was the best thing i ever did to learn to write and speak english well. i support obama on this one

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

I think Mr. Obama is trying to tell us the Spanish language will soon be the essential part of our lives. It has nothing to do with the educational value; we’ll need it to communicate with one another.

One more thing. The real issue is not illegal immigrants, but poor and uneducated immigrants. I’d take a Japanese or German illegal immigrant any day, if we could find one. Tons of Mexicans and Latin Americans come to this country (legally and illegally, I don’t really care, I know plenty of legals who work for cash, pay no taxes, and collect welfare), get on the social programs paid for by the rest of us, and dragging this country into the hole. Needless to say, they're all democrats

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pailintia. Show pailintia's posts

Just so everyone knows the United States of America does not have an official language. Check out Wikipedia

Languages of the United States
    Official language(s)none
    Main language(s)American English (82%)
    Indigenous language(s)Hawaiian, Navajo, Dakota, Central Alaskan Yup'ik, Cherokee, Western Apache, Piman, Choctaw, Keres, Zuni, Ojibwe
    Minority language(s)Spanish 10.7%, French Cajun French, Louisiana Creole, Haitian creole, German Pennsylvania German, Chinese, Hindi, Italian, Russian, Scandinavian languages, Tagalog
    Main foreign language(s)Spanish, French, German[1]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pailintia. Show pailintia's posts

Just so everyone knows the United States of America does not have an official language. Check out Wikipedia

Official language(s)none
    Indigenous language(s)Hawaiian, Navajo, Dakota, Central Alaskan Yup'ik, Cherokee, Western Apache, Piman, Choctaw, Keres, Zuni, Ojibwe
    Minority language(s)Spanish 10.7%, French Cajun French, Louisiana Creole, Haitian creole, German Pennsylvania German, Chinese, Hindi, Italian, Russian, Scandinavian languages, Tagalog

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]Then why do other countries send their kids here to get an education instead of the other way around?[/Quote]

Exactly that is the problem, the other countries send they kids here and to other countries to learn, their kids become more knowledgable about world affairs, that in the end will make them more skilled in a globalized world. In the other hand, is not the way around because American still believe that the world is flat and the end of the world is Rio Grande. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

[Quote]Just so everyone knows the United States of America does not have an official language. Check out Wikipedia

Official language(s)none
    [/Quote]

American English is an official language (de facto) of the United States. Moreover, 25 states have declared English as an official language. Only New Mexico has Spanish as de facto second language. And even if we take your statistics 82% of English speakers is more then enough to disregard use of any other languages

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]learning languages growing up was the best thing i ever did to learn to write and speak english well. i support obama on this one[/Quote]
    That's funny. Learning English was the best thing I did to learn to write and speak English well. Go figure!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[Quote]Just so everyone knows the United States of America does not have an official language. Check out Wikipedia

Official language(s)none
    [/Quote]
    Your point is pointless. Argue all you want about English not being the official language but it's hard to convince me when everywhere you go in the US everything is written in....drumroll please.....ENGLISH! Street signs, highway signs, menus, major newspapers, subway signs, and on and on and on.
    So yes maybe officially there isn't one but to deny that English is the unofficial language is just dishonest 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betted57. Show betted57's posts

The hispanics are catered to at every level.  Just recently a new Chinese imigrant came to our office to work, she speaks English very well and just recently became a citizen.  She is very proud of being an American and speaking English.  She is dumbfounded by the fact that the hispanic people are given papers from the schools, doctors' offices and other places in both English and Spanish.  She wonders why we do not cater to the other immigrants?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaryMary2005. Show MaryMary2005's posts

Most well-educated Americans want their children to learn a second (and sometimes a third) language.  English is not the only language in this world, and it certainly isn't even the official language of the United States.  To say to people to go back to their own country or make other deragatory remarks only serves to strengthen the world's perception of Americans as lazy and ignorant.  Certainly excelling in math and science is important, but learning another language is also important.  I am fluent in English and Spanish, and I can make myself understood in Italian, Portuguese and even a bit of French.  I know phrases in Chinese and Korean and I was taught Latin in school.  It wasn't difficult.  All it took was an open mind and a willingness to learn.  I asked colleagues to teach me their language and I taught them Spanish... and guess what?  I can still understand math and science!!  So, if you don't want to learn a new language and if you don't want your children to learn a new language, that's your perogative.  I choose to fully educate my children so that they can excel not only here, but anywhere in this world.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaryMary2005. Show MaryMary2005's posts

Excuse me, but these papers are also handed out in Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc.!  Great for her that she can speak English, but there are plenty of people who have recently arrived who do not speak it yet.  If you were to go to China, you'd probably throw a hissy because nothing was in English!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

There is little reason to put non-Castillian Spanish be near the top of list.

Twenty years ago, when we all thought Japan would rule the world by now, would ANYONE have thought it wise to study Mandarin or Hindi?  Of course not.

Spanish is spoken by most of South America, Central America and Mexico ... hundreds of millions of people on a continent and a half, and they are on our doorstep.  Do you really think there is little reason for kids today not to learn Spanish?  Very shortsighted of you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

What possible benefit would it be for them to learn Spanish?

See my previous post.  You clearly have no longterm vision if you think Spanish to be a useless language.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

do you honestly believe that learning spanish will make us more competitive in the world economy? wow. we're in bigger trouble than i thought. spanish will do NOTHING to better our children. they need to learn mandarin, japanese, indian languages. get a clue.

Tell me where your thinking was 20 years ago.  Back then, did you think Hindi and Mandarin were the languages to be learning?  A continent and a half speaks mostly Spanish and it's right on our doorstep.  When our kids hit their stride in 20 years, where do you suppose South America, Central America and Mexico will be?  Perhaps it is YOU who should get a clue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

You are right about it not being a big drain on a $3 trillion dollar budget. What you are missing is it is a HUGE drain on a small community hospitals budget. Hospitals don't get paid dollar for dollar from Medicare they get @85 cents on a dollar (less if you look at what BCBS, Tufts etc pay). That also doesn't account for the hospital needing to have interpreters on 24/7 at their cost not reimbursed. Add into that the legal immigrants and citizens who have to wait longer to get services because it takes about 30% longer to treat people who don't speak English.

It is a large drain on the access to care and hence the quality of care for people who are here legally. It has gotten to a point that it is a crisis.

Everything you says makes sense, and I'm sure there are numerous problems associated with illiegals.  What I'm not sure of is the MAGNITUDE of the problem in economic terms.  Can you (or anyone else) document just how much illegals cost the states?  Can you compare this with the economic benefit of dirt cheap labor doing things that no one else wants to (at least for $5/hour)?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

I can't say I agree with Spanish.  Asian and Arabic will probably be more marketable in the next 10-15 years.  If our children are going to be competitive not only should they be proficient in math, the sciences and literacy, but they will need to be able to communicate their knowledge with the other players on the world stage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky. Show sparky's posts

I hope there's nothing wrong with learning French or German or Russian. . .there's plenty of languages to learn other than Spanish

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitkat100. Show kitkat100's posts

Americans should NOT be learning Spanish. It's unbelievably stupid to push that particular language. Spanish speaking countries are not economic powerhouses, just look at the flood of illegal immigrants from Mexico, Central and Latin America. 99% are at the bottom rung economically. We should be learning Chinese or some other Asia language. Learning Spanish would only embolden the racist Latinos, particularly La Raza, to expect all Americans to speak Spanish.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotsauce122. Show hotsauce122's posts

Sounds like he is telling people to be responsible for themselves and have an open mind to others. Only thing wrong with that is most people don't react well when you point out to them that they are part of the problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitkat100. Show kitkat100's posts

To those people who think that Latin America is going to be the next China or India in 20 years. You have got to be kidding! Their economies are in shambles and they don't invest in education. The income disparity between rich and poor are extreme and the level of corruption and crime is unreal. It will take at least a hundred years before anything will happen. And unfortunately, Mexico's crime is reaching over the border into the US.