Obama says children should learn to speak Spanish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

To those people who think that Latin America is going to be the next China or India in 20 years.

No one has said that, that I can tell.  But trade between Latin America and the US is important and growing, and increased democracy can only bode well for the region.

From the Heritage Foundation:  Total merchandise trade between the United States and Latin America was $409 billion in 2004, up from $301 billion in 1999 and accounting for about 17 percent of total U.S. world trade.

From Wikipedia:  Today, between 322 and 400 million people speak Spanish as a native language, making it the world's second most-spoken language by native speakers, after Mandarin Chinese.

No one is saying Spanish is the only, or even the "best" language for American children to be studying (not even Obama, if you bothered to read the entirety of what he said and not just the one-sentence excerpt for the talking point).  But it's awfully silly to dismiss Spanish as a useless language for a child to study.  We need to have Americans fluent in a wide range of foreign languages.  Your contention that American children should only learn "Chinese or some other Asia language" and that "Americans should NOT be learning Spanish" is, at a minimum, bizarre.

It will take at least a hundred years before anything will happen.

I take it you are an extremely wealthy individual because of your ability to see so clearly so far into the future.  I can remember in the 80s how sure we were that Japan would be our masters by now (remember Rising Sun (c) 1992 by Michael Crichton?).  No one foresaw the rise of India and China.  No, I don't think this will repeat in the same way as in Asia, but there will be significant postive change in Latin America, and I don't think it will take as long to happen as it will take John McCain to get out of Iraq.  But then again, I can't see the future either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Everything you says makes sense, and I'm sure there are numerous problems associated with illiegals.  What I'm not sure of is the MAGNITUDE of the problem in economic terms.  Can you (or anyone else) document just how much illegals cost the states?  Can you compare this with the economic benefit of dirt cheap labor doing things that no one else wants to (at least for $5/hour)?[/Quote]

I don't think anyone can because the government doesn't want these things tracked. They don't "allow" us to ask if they are here legally or not. It is a huge don't ask, don't tell issue. The big issue I have is those $5 an hour jobs that my generation did as teens now go to the illegals. I hear the Cape businesses yelling about a lack of help but then the Cape Cod Times does and atricle about kids with nothing to do but hang on street corners.

The "Greatest Generation" created a lazy generation which has created a lazier generation. God only knows what the future will bring but I know my kids WILL take that $5 an hour job that is "beneth" so many yet are fine with cashing their welfare check.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]You also won't be working as a pilot or air traffic controller if you don't speak English.  So there![/Quote]

I think that we are totally out of the topic. The issue is not that people should learn English. You have to be an idiot not to realize that English is basically the business language. The issue is not if people are legally or not in this country. The issue in discussion is whether American children should be bilingual or not. This is the real topics, nobody is questioning if people in this country should or should not speak english.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Learning Spanish for the purpose of what??? 

Who of importance do I need to converse with that only speaks Spanish???

I can see learning Chinese or Japanese, but Spanish??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama reason #468 why he and his wife aren't proud of America.

We don't speak Spanish.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

To summarize, the negative comments fall into one of two general categories:

a) Spanish is a bad language to learn, despite the fact that
             - with 400 milliion speakers, it is the second most prevalent native language on the planet; and
             - 1/6 of our foreign trade is with Latin America (and growing fast).
             - like it or not, 10% of the people in this country are native Spanish speakers (and most of them are not illegal)

or

b) Obama's contention that learning a second language is important is correct, but he says it for the wrong reason, i.e., to get votes, NOT because he actually wants what's best for America.

The first of these is clearly nonsense.  Spanish is a fine language for kids to learn, though clearly not the only choice.  The second of these is beside the point; if any politician advocates what is best for the country, you gotta count your blessings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I say Obama is off of his meds.  English is the language of the world.  It is the language of business, technology and science and air traffic control towers around the worl use english.  I refuse to push #1 for english at an ATM and have stopped using the Bank of America (ironic isn't) because you have to chose a langauge to proceed, most ATM's allow you to proceed without a language choice assuming english is the language.  I have no problem with language choices on ATM's and like devices but the assumption in the US should be english.

I'm a firm believer on Teddy Roosevelt's view on immigration.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Isay Obama is off of his meds.  English is the language of the world. It is the language of business, technology and science and air trafficcontrol towers around the worl use english.  I refuse to push #1 forenglish at an ATM and have stopped using the Bank of America (ironicisn't) because you have to chose a langauge to proceed, most ATM'sallow you to proceed without a language choice assuming english is thelanguage.  I have no problem with language choices on ATM's and likedevices but the assumption in the US should be english.

Joe, I'm surprised at you.  You seem to be saying that it is un-American to learn a foreign language.  Obama prefaced his remarks by emphaisizing the importance of all imigrants to the US to learn English, but then stressed his belief that it is vital for the English native speaking kids in this country to be bilingual as well.  If you think this suggests Obama is "off his meds", I have to respectfully disagree.  Learning a foreign language is a valuable part of a child's education.

My guess is if John McCain were to endorse foreign language education in the public schools, everyone on this board who is currently ripping Obama would be on board with the ideea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AreaHeraldReader. Show AreaHeraldReader's posts

As a Rebuplican who does not want Obama to be able to sway potential McCain voters to his side, the grest thing about this quote is that it demonstrates the type of liberal elitist Obama is. 

Obama does not represent hard worlking Americans who want to preserve our great culture.  To all those hard working people out there, know that Obama cannot relate to you. He thinks this is an issue? When we travel to Europe? Do you travel to Europe? Or, are you (or have you in your life) been unfortunate enough to work hard, but only be able to afford to live in areas in this country where no one speaks English.  Obama hasn't.  He is part of the liberal elite who coddles imigrants as a special class of citizens.  While we have people here who can't speak English and do not assimiliate, in Obama's world the big issue is that Americans who travel to Europe don't speak the languages.

Are you part of that culture - "travel to Europe"? Forget that, how about people here speaking the language.  That is first and foremost.

Great line.  We need to exploit this for all its worth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]ALL is relative and related

As you point out.. Bilingual or not... but before you can ask that... should we establish that EVERYONE should adopt a base language before suggesting a second or third language.
    I pose the prereq question of "Should everyone speak English?"

If so, what needs to happen to people who don't speak English... and... without supporting statistics I do venture to suggest that there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of them. This DOES lead to the obvious question of illegal entry.[/Quote]

Why do we should enforce people to speak English?, I strongly believe that this is personal right of everyperson. Second, are we teaching in the school any subject in English? name me one school that doesn't teach in English. The whole educational system is in English. The kids speak mostly English and for most of the immigrants parents the issue is not that if their kids are learning English or not, the issue is that the kids don't want to speak their parent language.

As Obama said, they will learn English yes or yes.

Ppanos, this is a fictitious conflict that was created by some Republicans suffering of paranoia. The issue is not real because  the kids are already learning Englsih . In reference to  their parents , I believe that only 15% do not speak English at all, forgive me but I don't have the exact number.

The question in reference to some immigrants is why they are not mastering English skills. I can tell you that they want to speak English well, but the problem is that they have to work. Most of them have two or three jobs, so when do they have time to learn? where is the priority? learning English or paying the bill?

This is a very extense issue , you have to work with many point of view, but the bottom line is Kids are learning English, and they will speak it very well, the parents are the one with a hard time for learning english. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]

As a Rebuplican who does not want Obama to be able to sway potential McCain voters to his side, the grest thing about this quote is that it demonstrates the type of liberal elitist Obama is. 

Obama does not represent hard worlking Americans who want to preserve our great culture.  To all those hard working people out there, know that Obama cannot relate to you. He thinks this is an issue? When we travel to Europe? Do you travel to Europe? Or, are you (or have you in your life) been unfortunate enough to work hard, but only be able to afford to live in areas in this country where no one speaks English.  Obama hasn't.  He is part of the liberal elite who coddles imigrants as a special class of citizens.  While we have people here who can't speak English and do not assimiliate, in Obama's world the big issue is that Americans who travel to Europe don't speak the languages.

Are you part of that culture - "travel to Europe"? Forget that, how about people here speaking the language.  That is first and foremost.

Great line.  We need to exploit this for all its worth.[/Quote]

AreaHeraldReader-2

could you please clarify the following statements?

1.- Obama does not represent hard worlking Americans who want to preserve our great culture. 

My question is , could you please define what is "our great culture" ? can you define what do you understand by culture?

2.- While we have people here who can't speak English and do not assimiliate

- Do you know the extentof the problem of people that don't speak english? Which is the percentage of people that do not speak English?

- To which culture do immigrant should assimilate? White anglo saxon? Afro American? Native American? to which culture? Is not a  personal right to deside how you want to fit in a culture ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]Most well-educated Americans want their children to learn a second (and sometimes a third) language.  English is not the only language in this world, and it certainly isn't even the official language of the United States.  To say to people to go back to their own country or make other deragatory remarks only serves to strengthen the world's perception of Americans as lazy and ignorant.  Certainly excelling in math and science is important, but learning another language is also important.  I am fluent in English and Spanish, and I can make myself understood in Italian, Portuguese and even a bit of French.  I know phrases in Chinese and Korean and I was taught Latin in school.  It wasn't difficult.  All it took was an open mind and a willingness to learn.  I asked colleagues to teach me their language and I taught them Spanish... and guess what?  I can still understand math and science!!  So, if you don't want to learn a new language and if you don't want your children to learn a new language, that's your perogative.  I choose to fully educate my children so that they can excel not only here, but anywhere in this world.[/Quote]

I am with you, and I have the same situation. Beside English I speak and write spanish very well, I speak some Italian, Portuguese, French and some German. When I was in college I had 5 years of Match , one year of Physics and Chemestry. The same one I was in high school. It wasn't a dilema to learn this or these, unless you have a learning disability.

My kids speak , they are 20,13,10 and 4 speak more than one language, and they want to learn other languages. My 10 years old daughter told me that to learn French.

As you say, you have to be open mind, and in this area. There is not an issue of learning many things , this is a fictitious limitation that the far right wing is embroidering in the mind of American people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]English is the language of this country. Learn it and use it,or get the f**k out. Why would you want to come to another country,only to attempt to make it like Mexico?[/Quote]

Is this the only Spanish Speaking country that you know? By the way, Brazil economy is bigger than Russia and Suth Korea economies. Brazil is in the top ten economies of the world, Mexico is 14, combine both of them they would be the six economy of the world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]do you honestly believe that learning spanish will make us more competitive in the world economy? wow. we're in bigger trouble than i thought. spanish will do NOTHING to better our children. they need to learn mandarin, japanese, indian languages. get a clue.[/Quote]

If you want to be competitive you must speak two languages. Now in reference to competitiveness, Brazil is the 10 bigest economy of the world, India or Russia are behind Brazil. If you add Mexico that is a little behind Russia or India, and combine it with Brazil you have the six economy of the world and a market of 300 million people.

Spain, the eight economy of the world, read well, Spain -spanish speaking country - owe its economic development to its businesses in Latin America. More than 60% of its investments are in this region.

Now that I mention Spain, if you combine it wirh Brazil you have the fifth economy, the size of the UK.

So, tell me , do you think that you want to miss the opportunity of missing these markets, just because you think that they are not valuable markets? 

For instance , in the company that I work, LAtin region is the fastest growing business, bigger than Australia or India. The combine foreign sales today is 40%, in five years will be 70% according to the President of the comapny. This means that in the future companies in general will relay most of the growth in International Markets, where LatinAmerica play a big role. This implies the need of bilingual people.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AreaHeraldReader. Show AreaHeraldReader's posts

[Quote]AreaHeraldReader-2

could you please clarify the following statements?

1.- Obama does not represent hard worlking Americans who want to preserve our great culture. 

My question is , could you please define what is "our great culture" ? can you define what do you understand by culture?

2.- While we have people here who can't speak English and do not assimiliate

- Do you know the extentof the problem of people that don't speak english? Which is the percentage of people that do not speak English?

- To which culture do immigrant should assimilate? White anglo saxon? Afro American? Native American? to which culture? Is not a  personal right to deside how you want to fit in a culture ?

[/Quote]
    I think you have proved my point here perfectly.  Those middle class traditional thinking Americans need to understand that Obama and his supporters are people who:

1) Don't believe there is a common American culture, and that having one common culture would somhow be discriminatory;

2) Don't know there is a massive problem with large areas of America, and Boston, where people do no speak English, excluding them from all of the benefits this country can offer; and  

3)   Belive in muti-cultualism. Sure its OK for indivudals to decide for themselves who to adopt the culture.  But our society shoul promote the common culture (minimally English as our common language).  Obama and his supporters beleive in a multi-cultural America, not a melting pot.  Instead of "from many, one", Obama and his supporters want "from many, many," where the US is not a plce where people can com to be an American, but instead merely an address where imigrants can live.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pensapositivo. Show pensapositivo's posts

[Quote]I think you have proved my point here perfectly.  Those middle class traditional thinking Americans need to understand that Obama and his supporters are people who:

1) Don't believe there is a common American culture, and that having one common culture would somhow be discriminatory;

2) Don't know there is a massive problem with large areas of America, and Boston, where people do no speak English, excluding them from all of the benefits this country can offer; and  

3)   Belive in muti-cultualism. Sure its OK for indivudals to decide for themselves who to adopt the culture.  But our society shoul promote the common culture (minimally English as our common language).  Obama and his supporters beleive in a multi-cultural America, not a melting pot.  Instead of "from many, one", Obama and his supporters want "from many, many," where the US is not a plce where people can com to be an American, but instead merely an address where imigrants can live.    [/Quote]

Melting pot v/s multiculturalism. You did not answer the most escencial question , what do you define as culture? Let set aside the immigrant issue. Do you believe that AfroAmericans share the same culture of White American?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Polpot is absolutely correct.  Diversity is incredubly overrated and indeed a danger to the weelbeing of the country.  In fact the U.S. went to hell when they let all those Eastern Europeans in.  Especially the Poles...  Wink. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

As a Rebuplican who does not want Obama to be able to sway potential McCain voters to his side, the grest thing about this quote is that it demonstrates the type of liberal elitist Obama is...We need to exploit this for all its worth.

Can't wait to see the ad:  Middle aged white guy in jeans and a work shirt standing in front of a pickup truck.  "Ahm a Murican, and I can't believe Obama is tellin' me mah kids should larn annuther language.  Fur ez Ahm concerned, mah kids don't need to larn no furn language lahk Spamish er French.  English has always been good ennuf fur me and it'll be good ennuf fur mah kids too, just ez long ez they larn to speak it ez good as me.  Let them liberul elitist kids git those high paying jobs in innernational trade with global corperations.  Mah kids'll take over the family bizzness sellin' pig manure, an' they'll never leave Murica fur anything anyway.  Ah never did.

"An' one more thing.  Not only shouldn't they teach mah kids a furn language, they shouldn't oughter teach them no eevolution er climate change er human seckshuality neither.  In fack, all they have to teach them is the ten commandments and creationalsim, 'n once they do that mah kids'll be able to compete in the global economy jess fahn ... all 14 of them."

"I'm John McCain, and I can't believe I approved this message."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]Tell me where your thinking was 20 years ago.  Back then, did you think Hindi and Mandarin were the languages to be learning?  A continent and a half speaks mostly Spanish and it's right on our doorstep.  When our kids hit their stride in 20 years, where do you suppose South America, Central America and Mexico will be?  Perhaps it is YOU who should get a clue.[/Quote]

20 years ago he would have stated Japanese.  Spanish might be at our doorstep but last I checked, Mexico, Brazil or Guatemala doesn not contain the top two populations in the world. 

China and India are at the doorstep at taking us over as the primary countries in the world.  Mexico, Central or South America do not have the population, the education or the money to be a threat to China or India. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]To those people who think that Latin America is going to be the next China or India in 20 years.

No one has said that, that I can tell.  But trade between Latin America and the US is important and growing, and increased democracy can only bode well for the region.[/Quote]

Regardless, China's #1 trade country is the US and that is also growing. 

[Quote]From the Heritage Foundation:  Total merchandise trade between the United States and Latin America was $409 billion in 2004, up from $301 billion in 1999 and accounting for about 17 percent of total U.S. world trade. [/Quote]

17 percent of trade, how about China, India and Japan?  Especially China since ADR in China has grown by leaps and bounds since 2004, nevermind 1999.

[Quote]
    From Wikipedia:  Today, between 322 and 400 million people speak Spanish as a native language, making it the world's second most-spoken language by native speakers, after Mandarin Chinese.[/Quote]

400 million people speaking Spanish is only 40% of native speakers of Mandarin Chinese.  Now when you count that Macau and Hong Kong will also be learning Mandarin, you have to add that the equation.  You do realize that there are almost as many Chinese (just in mainland China alone) learning English right now as the entire Spanish speaking population (approx. 300 million as of the millenium)?  Why aren't they learning Spanish if it was so important?

[Quote]
    But it's awfully silly to dismiss Spanish as a useless language for a child to study.  We need to have Americans fluent in a wide range of foreign languages.  Your contention that American children should only learn "Chinese or some other Asia language" and that "Americans should NOT be learning Spanish" is, at a minimum, bizarre.[/Quote]
    Spanish isn't 100% useless, but when you look at business, finance and trade, if you had a choice between Spanish and Chinese, you'd be foolish to choose Spanish. 

It seems you're looking at it from purely a geographical and/or US population perspective, not from a business, financial or economic perspective.  There is a reason large amounts of ADR was thrust to China after 1997 and American companies couldn't get into mainland China fast enough. 

[Quote]
    I take it you are an extremely wealthy individual because of your ability to see so clearly so far into the future.  I can remember in the 80s how sure we were that Japan would be our masters by now [/Quote]
    If it wasn't for Japan's economic collapse internally, they just may have.  The digestion of Hong Kong  and Macau by mainland China, and a handful of economic situations within the US changed all that.  The cheap rates of India and most of Asia began to turn the focus around. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]

I say Obama is off of his meds.  English is the language of the world.  It is the language of business, technology and science and air traffic control towers around the worl use english.  I refuse to push #1 for english at an ATM and have stopped using the Bank of America (ironic isn't) because you have to chose a langauge to proceed, most ATM's allow you to proceed without a language choice assuming english is the language.  I have no problem with language choices on ATM's and like devices but the assumption in the US should be english.

I'm a firm believer on Teddy Roosevelt's view on immigration.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN
    [/Quote]

I love that quote.  That should be read by every person before they swear in as American citizens.  Screw that, that should be part of the oath.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]Is this the only Spanish Speaking country that you know? By the way, Brazil economy is bigger than Russia and Suth Korea economies. Brazil is in the top ten economies of the world, Mexico is 14, combine both of them they would be the six economy of the world.[/Quote]

If you combine?  Talk to us WHEN they combine.  Even if they hit
    6th, they still won't take over China.  Japan maybe, but not China.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyffromNH. Show TeddyffromNH's posts

[Quote]"Like most liberals, he believes America owes the world a favor and that the world should bath in the innate rights American citizens enjoy."

Liberals, eh?  Isn't this now Bush and McCain' rationale for staying in Iraq? [/Quote]

Trust me, the entire spectrum of current US Politics makes me ill.  Political extremes on both sides are a problem, and exhert way too much influence.  Our Government is out of control.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

[Quote]
    a) Spanish is a bad language to learn, despite the fact that
             - with 400 milliion speakers, it is the second most prevalent native language on the planet[/Quote]

300 million Chinese are learning English at any given time.  400 million customers or 1 billion customers.  Do the math.  Speaking of, China is also turning out the most educated students in high-end fields by the hundreds of thousands.  

[Quote]- 1/6 of our foreign trade is with Latin America (and growing fast).[/Quote]

16.6 % with all of Latin America still doesn't match Asia.  We do approx. 12-13% with China alone.  Latin America buys more from us than China, but we buy more from China than any other country.  With the top 15 total import/export countries in 2007, we do 18.5% within Asia.  

Let's not also forget that China has the fastest growin economy in the world at 10% a year and they currently have the largest growing middle class ever.  

[Quote]- like it or not, 10% of the people in this country are native Spanish speakers (and most of them are not illegal). [/Quote]

Fine, you speak all the Spanish you want and deal with all your Spanish speaking customers.  I'll be dealing with customers, finance and economy.  My Chinese skills will give me a customer base that will dwarf yours and an economy that is not only larger, but growing at a faster pace.  I'll deal with India, China and Japan who have approx. a billion students combined learning English.  You stick with your Spanish.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]Isay Obama is off of his meds.  English is the language of the world. It is the language of business, technology and science and air trafficcontrol towers around the worl use english.  I refuse to push #1 forenglish at an ATM and have stopped using the Bank of America (ironicisn't) because you have to chose a langauge to proceed, most ATM'sallow you to proceed without a language choice assuming english is thelanguage.  I have no problem with language choices on ATM's and likedevices but the assumption in the US should be english.

Joe, I'm surprised at you.  You seem to be saying that it is un-American to learn a foreign language.  Obama prefaced his remarks by emphaisizing the importance of all imigrants to the US to learn English, but then stressed his belief that it is vital for the English native speaking kids in this country to be bilingual as well.  If you think this suggests Obama is "off his meds", I have to respectfully disagree.  Learning a foreign language is a valuable part of a child's education.

My guess is if John McCain were to endorse foreign language education in the public schools, everyone on this board who is currently ripping Obama would be on board with the ideea.[/Quote]

Inmonster,

No it isn't unamerican to learn a foreign language, in fact it can be very beneficial in the business world.  Based on the trend in the US, from a business sense it would appear that learning Chinese  would be a huge benefit, but that's another issue.  Considering the US dosen't produce much anymore.

My real point is that the US became great nation; because of all the "legal" immigrants that migrated to our shores, because the US was the land of opportunity.  The past wave of immigration from the late 1800's to the early 1900's came here for a chance at the American dream.  They came here looking a chance not, looking at our entitlement programs that didn't exist then.  They made it on their own.  The came, they assimilated, they learned the language as quickly as possible, because they had to survive and then prosper, there were not forms, and governmental programs written in foreign languages because our citizens spoke english.

The US is a great melting pot because we assimilated, and traditions from other lands were assimiated, but we became a common people.   I'm proud to go to the Ellis Island website and trace my ancestry back to England, Ireland and France.  My relatives of 4 and 5 generations back gave me a tremendous start in this world.

I think that the process of assimilation they went through is what made the US what it is and I don't think we should change it now for a group of immigrants who aren't interested in becoming part of our great melting pot.

So as I said in my original post, the language of the US is English, it is assumed and I wont push #1 at an ATM to get it.  I also firmly stand by Teddy Roosevelt's position on imigration; assimilation, english as a language, one flag and no discrimination to those trying to legally become US citizens.