Obama's Defining Moment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Obama's Defining Moment

Every President has a defining moment..one moment where their leadership is tested and where..in spite of ideological differences society turns to them to get the job done.
    For Bush, Jr., that moment was undoubtedly 9/11 and in the days following. He gave the nation and the world exactly what they needed at that point in time, first leadership, then words of comfort and inspiration. In my adult life, I had never been prouder of my President and to be an American than in the days and months following 9/11. I am sure many people felt the same way. In spite of the path that Bush Jr.'s presidency subsequently took and even though I disagreed with much of what he did subsequenty, I would never hesitate, even for a second, to give him credit and kudos for his actions during that time.

Fast forward almost 11 years and I think these past few days have, for sure, been Obama's defining moment. In the face of a phenomenal amount of nonsense about birth certificates and grades and implications that the President's priorites were nothing but nonsense ( remember all the comments from the wingers asking what important business the President was attending to?), the President went about taking care of the business of America, including ridding the world of its enemies.  While "The Donald" was busy uncovering all pretend "skeletons in the closet" of Obama...Obama did indeed have bigger things on his mind. While the childish adults in this country were busy acting like children and demanding their own way...Obama was acting like an adult and getting the job done. Whereas , last week, the world was laughing at us and the headlines in one London paper were " The Day America took Leave of its Senses" ( referring to the birther thing)..today, the world's respect has been at least somewhat restored.
    Now, many of those same people can't even bring themselves to acknowledge the symbolic role the Commander in Chief played in bringing Bin Laden to justice. It's a sad state they've brought our country to. I may not have agreed with much that Bush Jr. did in his final years of presidency, but I can thank and respect him for the things he did right.  I may not even agree with many things that Obama does..but I can thank and respect him for the things he does right. Giving the 9/11 families and the nation some small measure of comfort and closure is something we should all be able set aside our differences for and appreciate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

Re: Obama's Defining Moment

miscricket, very well stated. Myself being a "winger" do give the President kudos for a job well done. He had a lot to think about over the last few months and succeeded in his mission. I am proud to be an American at this moment but I am not jumping on the Obama wagon. We are in too deep a well economically  and are carrying a debt that will only lead to dangerous cuts down the line. I am too afraid that those on the Obama wagon will lose sight of  what needs to be done. Disappointingly these folks wearing rose colored glasses will re-elect the president and send us ever deeper down the well.

Footnote: While your post is extremely well put, I think you'll get some flack for your usage of the terms "winger" "childish adults." This only adds an air of smuggness to what is otherwise a good message.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Unfortunately I think the defining moment for Bush is the "Mission Accomplished" celebration fiasco.  He bungled badly the support he helped generate in the aftermath of 9/11.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

In Response to Re: Obama's Defining Moment:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately I think the defining moment for Bush is the "Mission Accomplished" celebration fiasco.  He bungled badly the support he helped generate in the aftermath of 9/11.
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Tread carefully, all the facts have yet to emerge from the Osama mission. I wouldn't go banging the drums and thumping my chest quite yet.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goright. Show Goright's posts

Miscricket, please consider the rest of the story from a ranking military bud: This update comes some 24 hours after our longtime Washington D.C. Insider first outlined shocking details of an Obama administration having been "overruled" by senior military and intelligence officials leading up to the successful attack against terrorist Osama Bin Laden.  What follows is further clarification of insights surrounding that event. There had been a push to invade the compound for several weeks if not months, primarily led by Leon Panetta, Hillary Clinton, Robert Gates, David Petraeus, and Jim Clapper.  The primary opposition to this plan originated from Valerie Jarrett, BO's Chicago shyster squeeze, and it was her opposition that was enough to create uncertainty within President Obama--clearly BO is clueless.  Obama would meet with various components of the pro-invasion faction, almost always with Jarrett present, and then fail to indicate his position.  This situation continued for several months, though the division between Jarrett/Obama and the rest intensified more recently, most notably from Hillary Clinton and Sec Gates.  She was livid over the president's failure to act, and her office began a campaign of anonymous leaks to the media indicating such.  As for Jarrett, her concern rested on two primary fronts.  One, that the military action could fail and harm the president's already weakened standing with both the American public and the world--ya think!.  Second, that the attack would be viewed as an act of aggression against Muslims, and further destabilize conditions in the Middle East.There was a temporary Coup initiated by high ranking intelligence and military officials. These figures worked around the uncertainty/ineptitude of President Obama and the repeated resistance of Valerie Jarrett.  If they had not been willing to do so, know that Osama Bin Laden would still be alive today. There will be no punishment to those who acted outside the authority of the president's office.  The president cannot afford to admit such a fact.  What will be most interesting from here is to now see what becomes of Valerie Jarrett.  One source indicated she is threatening resignation.  I find that unlikely given my strong belief she needs the protection afforded her by the Oval Office and its immense powers to delay and eventually terminate investigations back in Chicago, but we shall see.

Sometimes, all is not what it appears to be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Sure Goright ! You have a mole in the White House and bats in the belfry !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

In Response to Obama's Defining Moment:
    [QUOTE]Every President has a defining moment..one moment where their leadership is tested and where..in spite of ideological differences society turns to them to get the job done. For Bush, Jr., that moment was undoubtedly 9/11 and in the days following. He gave the nation and the world exactly what they needed at that point in time, first leadership, then words of comfort and inspiration. In my adult life, I had never been prouder of my President and to be an American than in the days and months following 9/11. I am sure many people felt the same way. In spite of the path that Bush Jr.'s presidency subsequently took and even though I disagreed with much of what he did subsequenty, I would never hesitate, even for a second, to give him credit and kudos for his actions during that time. Fast forward almost 11 years and I think these past few days have, for sure, been Obama's defining moment. In the face of a phenomenal amount of nonsense about birth certificates and grades and implications that the President's priorites were nothing but nonsense ( remember all the comments from the wingers asking what important business the President was attending to?), the President went about taking care of the business of America, including ridding the world of its enemies.  While "The Donald" was busy uncovering all pretend "skeletons in the closet" of Obama...Obama did indeed have bigger things on his mind. While the childish adults in this country were busy acting like children and demanding their own way...Obama was acting like an adult and getting the job done. Whereas , last week, the world was laughing at us and the headlines in one London paper were " The Day America took Leave of its Senses" ( referring to the birther thing)..today, the world's respect has been at least somewhat restored. Now, many of those same people can't even bring themselves to acknowledge the symbolic role the Commander in Chief played in bringing Bin Laden to justice. It's a sad state they've brought our country to. I may not have agreed with much that Bush Jr. did in his final years of presidency, but I can thank and respect him for the things he did right.  I may not even agree with many things that Obama does..but I can thank and respect him for the things he does right. Giving the 9/11 families and the nation some small measure of comfort and closure is something we should all be able set aside our differences for and appreciate.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this.  I disagree with both sides on certain things but I DO feel like both sides deserve credit for this.  I've heard a lot of people state this this "isn't an Obama victory" and I really don't understand their mentality.  A move this huge has huge risks and imagine if this operation had gone horribly wrong.  This entire thing could've backfired in Obama's face yet he still went through with it so he deserves some kudos.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beltway. Show Beltway's posts

No, Obama's defining moment was when he told us there were 57 states!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

[QUOTE]No, Obama's defining moment was when he told us there were 57 states!
    Posted by Beltway[/QUOTE]

Classic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hunter45. Show Hunter45's posts

[QUOTE]No, Obama's defining moment was when he told us there were 57 states!
    Posted by Beltway[/QUOTE]

Or when he swore to us that if his stimulus was passed in Congress unemployment wouldn't go over 8%.  What a lying jerk Obama is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beltway. Show Beltway's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Obama's Defining Moment : A move this huge has huge risks and imagine if this operation had gone horribly wrong.  This entire thing could've backfired in Obama's face yet he still went through with it so he deserves some kudos.
    Posted by SwizzleSticks[/QUOTE]

I think we're starting to find out that this did go horribly, horribly wrong.  Obama & Co. keeps changing their story.  Especially as more information is coming out from Pakistan and witnesses like Bin Laden's daughter.  It's forcing Obama & Co. to modify their story and account of the events. 

What a coincidence that 25 minutes of real-time video feed was lost! 

And what about that top-secret helicopter technology that was left behind in Bin Laden's compound?  This whole thing is starting to unravel.  Obama better celebrate while he can.  This is about to get messy.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts