Remembering Sept. 11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

Remembering Sept. 11

Where were you eight years ago today? Share your thoughts, condolences, and reflections on the terrible attack of Sept. 11, 2001.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

Re: Remembering Sept. 11

in an advisor's office at college. i remember everyone thinking it was an accident at first, and some were half-joking. then the second hit, as well did reality. probably the most surreal moment in my life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisFromDaWoo. Show ChrisFromDaWoo's posts

I was on active duty in the Navy in Norfolk, VA. I had just transferred from a ship to shore duty 2 months before. All non-essential personnel were sent home, while those stationed on ships were sent home to grab some belongings and were to report back to get underway. It was an eerie feeling to be driving home on the highways during rush hour on a Tuesday, and being the only person on the road. To make it even more eerie, it was a perfect fall day, bright, sunny, and clear.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HenryGR11. Show HenryGR11's posts

Looking back should be a reminder of how zealots can rationalize a completly irrational situation.  Let's hope that "our" zealots act rationally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from belmonty1. Show belmonty1's posts

Psychology class in college...three months later I enlisted in the Army!  Two deployments to Iraq and I find myself returning to a country that has tried to put 9/11 behind them and completly forget about it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Traffic on 495 listening to Imus.  I remember them thinking the first plane was a Cessna, until the second on hit

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackngold10. Show blackngold10's posts

I was in 7th grade. My teacher got a call from her daughter that was in NYC that day, and she said there were terrorist attacks. NOne of us knew what that meant. We weren;t allowed to watch the news, and by the end of the day kids were crying, or getting taken out of school. It was crazy. I can't believe it was 8 years ago....

Never Forget.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kallalalla33. Show kallalalla33's posts

I was a 15 years old in 3rd period study hall. I went down to the nurses office to waste time get tylenol or something it was a great place to hang out. She wasn't there. A few minutes she came in crying I asked why she told me that a plane had hit the WTC i didnt believe her. I walked down to the classroom where a respected SR english teacher and the SRs were watched I was mesmorized. I walked back to my study hall told me teacher and said I was going to the room to watch. We watch off and on in classes all day. I skipped lunch and watched in the library. I even stayed after school and watched. It was scary and surreal. I went home and watched some more and then got a little angry because at that point I didnt want to watch anymore, but I did. I am now 23 and it still feels like yesterday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SUNDANCE1988. Show SUNDANCE1988's posts

There's a great book written just after 9/11/01 entitled, Rudy and The Magical Twin Balloons, by Kathy Rozek.  Excellent teaching tool for kids in grade K-8.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shooissma. Show shooissma's posts

It was my first week of college in Boston.  Someone holding a cell phone ran in to my class and said that a plane had just hit the WTC.  Class resumed, and no one really thought much of what we assumed was an accident.  By the time I got back to my room and turned the TV on, both towers were billowing with smoke.  I remember gasping as the South tower collapsed.  It was such a catastrophic sight; it hardly seemed real. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adbevilac. Show adbevilac's posts

I lived in Manhasset when it happened. Manhasset is like 20 minutes outside the city.

I was in high school and by second period we got the news and everything just stopped. Everyone left. We had to clean the debris off our cars to leave....

I'm sure it affected everyone but not like people living directly in our area.
    My town alone lost 37 individuals that day.

Never forget.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

The list:

When you see all of these names, it makes it all very real.  I know people will never forget the day.....I just hope people never forget how they felt on that day.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62151,00.html#11

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

At work in Cambridge when I got a call from a friend at home telling me a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. At the time, as did many of us, we thought; "what a horrible accident". As I stayed on the phone, I turned to my 2 officemates to let them know what had just happened.  Their reaction was to look out the window so I had to tell them the it was the World Trade Center..in NYC.  Then my friend yelled into the phone that another plane had just crashed into the second tower and we all knew it was now an act of terrorism.  I remember the days following how quiet life was with a halt to air traffic for a few days after the attacks. I remember how nice people were to each other immediately following the attacks and the surge in patriotism. 8 years later,  I miss the random gestures of kindness and there seems to be a trickling of  apathy for the significance of the date.   I'm sorry it takes a national tragedy for the general population to be courteous to one another and to appreciate life.  I hope 9/11 never becomes a national holiday otherwise it will end up being about a day off, a long weekend & special retail offers. We should keep it solemn in memory of all who died that day,  the rescuers who died trying to save lives as well as the survivors and families forever changed by that one day in history.  God Bless America.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2nj. Show boston2nj's posts

I was working on Wall St.; talking to a co-worker when we felt this earth shaking explosion. Another co-worker said oh my come over to the window and we saw this gaping hole on the side of the WTC. We ran to our desks, got our stuff and got out of the building. We stood on the corner watching as people were jumping to their deaths, than all of a sudden saw a second plane and than it became almost like a bad dream. Crowds headed up town to escape, turning every few minutes to see the smoke, people jumping and than of course seeing each tower crumble.
    I will never forget that day as long as I live. I can still picture the site of the towers up in smoke like it was happening live right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrx. Show mrx's posts

What I thought, and still think, is that the scale of the disaster prevented
    rational analysis of how it happened, who did it and why it was allowed to happen, and prevented a real investigation that treated the events like a crime and not just a pretext to shove through the police state Patriot Act (obviously written before 9/11) and to go to war with a country that was not involved in the crimes.  Eventually I realized that 9/11 was going to be like the JFK assassination, the official report nothing but lies and those who rightfully doubt the official story and want the truth treated like kooks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MiksMom. Show MiksMom's posts

I was living in Northern VA and at work in Tyson's Corner. A co-worker from Chicago called me to tell me about the attacks. We started watching the Twin Towers on t.v. and then we saw the smoke from the Pentagon out our window. It was surreal and still makes causes shivers up and down my spine to this day.

My daughter was in 7th grade and they locked down the schools and had the kids under the desks. She still can't talk about 9/11 today. 

Today is a somber reminder of what our world has come to.  M.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Actually, Obama's average rating is in the 50+% and about the average with previous presidents at this point in time... and you forget, Bush's rating were much lower, hovering around 30% and he wasn't dealing with anywhere near the difficult issues that Obama has to contend with... Most of them occurring under Bush's watch... faltering economy, massive deficit, high unemployment, 2 wars (1 of choice), illegal immigration, etc. Bush got a life from 9/11 but quickly fell back to earth (and deeper) when he squandered that goodwill.

Remember, Bush had the lowest approval ratings since Nixon when he went up against Kerry... Shows you how week Kerry was...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbedard28. Show mbedard28's posts

I was opening the restaurant I worked at in Salem, MA, and turned on the bar TV to see breaking news about a plane hitting the towers. We kept working until the second plane hit and then the towers started to come down. Customers were coming in periodically, and we all congregated around the TV in shock and horror as events unfolded. The bar manager was pouring freely that day as I recall, as we all needed a few stiff drinks by this point...I remember feeling angry and scared that this was possible, and why anyone would attack innocent people of all nationalities. It wasn't until several weeks later that I found out a friend from high school was lost in the second tower; she was an incredible person with a tremendous spririt and did not deserve this...For my generation this is the equivalent of the JFK assassination for our parents, I will remember that day as long as I live.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maeve. Show Maeve's posts

I remember Waleed Iskandar, Chief of Digital Strategy for Europe, Monitor Group. who was on AA flight 11. Though none of those who died on 9/11 was in my close circle of family/friends , Iskandar became  one that  touched my heart. I even attended his Memorial Service at St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church in Cambridge, MA. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/people/4115.html

Another person on AA Flight 11 was Edward (Ted) R. Hennessy Jr.. His family lived in Belmont and I knew his mother.
    http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/people/1414.html
     I still weep for them and all the others who perished.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

It was an inside job. I know because Charlie Sheen told me so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3838631. Show user_3838631's posts

I was a college sophomore on Staten Island, NY. I remember walking to work and seeing the first plane fly overhead and thinking it was odd, because Staten Island was usually a no-fly zone. Shortly after, another staff member came in and told us all to call home and tell our parents that we were okay and not to worry that we weren't in Manhattan.

We watched the second plane hit and the towers fall. It was a surreal experience. Nothing seemed real. I remember trying to get in touch with friends and family who were in the city and at the Pentagon. I remember sitting with friends as their friends and family, who were police and fireman were sent into the city. I remember sitting with friends as they found out their loved ones were never coming back.

September 11, 2001 is a day that will never be forgotten.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jasontis. Show Jasontis's posts

I blogged about my personal experience of 9/11 this morning. It's not very long, but it's very heartfelt and I hope people find it worthwhile:

http://dovenestedtowers.blogspot.com/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bernulli. Show Bernulli's posts

Working at TJX headquarters in Framingham MA. At about 11am I think, the CEO gathered the entire office, hundreds of people, into the lobby to annouce that 7 of our associates were on the aircraft that were missing.  Surreal experience.  As he read the names of the then missing, cries and sobs filled the lobby.  To this day I, like most of the people there that day, can't reconcile the feelings.  Something like that isn't supposed to happen in a place like that.  I was in a gulf war combat unit that didn't loose a soul. You expected a few of those young men not to make it back.  Then you go though loosing 7 co-workers who were mothers, daughters, wives, etc.  Wonderful, peaceful women.  None of that will ever make sense to me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from batoutofhell. Show batoutofhell's posts

I was just starting my workday, having just parked my car, when the news came over.
    What I wonder, eight years later, is...
    Why didn't Bush/Cheney heed the many warnings and stop the attacks?
    Why, when they promised to get bin Laden "dead or alive" did they never do it - even when they had him surrounded in Tora Bora?
    And what part did Saudi Arabia (bin Laden's country and home to most of the perpetrators of 9/11) play in financing and planning?
    Eight years later and we still know so little about that day. And we've lost over 4,000 soldiers in Iraq becuase of lies of Bush/Cheney linking Saddam to 9/11.
    Eight years later I am still sad and very angry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaccapa. Show vaccapa's posts

I was at work in 90 West Street, a tiny building next to 2 WTC.  I went on to experience the worst hours of my life, followed by some of the most wonderful moments of human kindness and patriotism.  I am lucky to be here and it still feels like just yesterday that I was running from the falling towers.  

I lost quite a few neighbors that day.  May they rest in peace.  No matter how much time goes by.......

Never Forget.

Sections
Shortcuts