Ryan vs Senior Citizens

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Ryan vs Senior Citizens

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens

In Response to Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens:
    [QUOTE]
    Posted by Sistersledge[/QUOTE]

Good one, Sis!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Today, Joe Biden is sitting in the wheelchair, and Obama is taking him to the cliff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam-dobermann. Show sam-dobermann's posts

What Romney/Ryan aren't disclosing is that their major cuts to Medicaid will impact seniors now on Medicare.

Low income seniors can get premium help from Medicaid for their Medicare premiums and for copays depending on income. Medicare has no coverage for nursing homes. If one is needed even for a short time Medicaid can help. But with the huge slashing of funds for Medicaid and taking all restrictions off, the states will have to cut a lot of what they do now. This could hurt the poorest seniors big time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZEox8Crwc

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Hey didn't ryan endorse todd akin ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

[QUOTE]Paul Ryan wants to kill Medicare and Social Security and lower taxes for the rich(capital gains) to zero. Robbing from the old and the sick to give to the super rich.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be paying taxes twice on capital gains. You pay them once when you get them and again at tax time. They should count as income and you should be taxed as such at that time. 
     As far as the other two go, they both need to be redone. Neither one will be able to survive at their current state. The problem is that any change done to them is automaticly considered to be killing them by dems.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Pic of the Moment

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

As I said earlier, why should you have to pay taxes on income twice?
     The rich are not the only ones playing the market. All it takes is $500 and a broker or a computer and you can also play the market. 
     Under the current system, if you sell stocks, etc., and make a profit, you pay a capital gains tax on that money before it even reaches your bank account. Then you get hit a gain when you file your taxes. I find it highly unfair that just because someone has $500 and takes a chance on the market they have to pay twice. Reducing the rate to 0 simply means you taxes are deferred until you file them. It still counts as income and will appear on the balance sheet.

Restructure medicare and SS to survive for another couple of centuries is what they want to do, not kill it. Then again, any mention of altering the systems, even to fix them, is interpreted as killing them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

No doubt that common sense conversations need to happen about medicare and social security. Both need to be reformed. I don't believe they should be privatized because I have an issue with being forced to pay a tax for private services.
    The social security system was designed when the average life expectancy was something like 68 years old. Now it is in the 80's. I have no problem with raising the age. That's the first thing that should be done.
    Private companies should be taken out of the medicare equation. That will bring costs down and funnel more money to services. We need to have some kind of mechanism for affordable, long term care ( nursing homes)..since this is what eats away at the medicare. Instead, medicare should alllow more coverage for in-home care.
    Finally..the way to bring down medicare costs is to bring down health care costs in general. Get rid of for -profit hospitals who are more concerned with the bottom line than with managing health effectively. Increase coverage for preventative care ( like Obamacare does)..thus preventing chronic diseases rather than spending more to treat them. There are lots of things that could be done, but sadly no one..not even the politicians want to make the hard choices.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt that common sense conversations need to happen about medicare and social security. Both need to be reformed. I don't believe they should be privatized because I have an issue with being forced to pay a tax for private services. The social security system was designed when the average life expectancy was something like 68 years old. Now it is in the 80's. I have no problem with raising the age. That's the first thing that should be done. Private companies should be taken out of the medicare equation. That will bring costs down and funnel more money to services. We need to have some kind of mechanism for affordable, long term care ( nursing homes)..since this is what eats away at the medicare. Instead, medicare should alllow more coverage for in-home care. Finally..the way to bring down medicare costs is to bring down health care costs in general. Get rid of for -profit hospitals who are more concerned with the bottom line than with managing health effectively. Increase coverage for preventative care ( like Obamacare does)..thus preventing chronic diseases rather than spending more to treat them. There are lots of things that could be done, but sadly no one..not even the politicians want to make the hard choices.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

So, if I read you correctly, Medicare, having failed under the weight of government mangling, your solution is for more government.  Do I have this correctly?

This is the liberal battle cry:  Our approach has failed, so we need more of it!  This translates into more restrictions, higher taxes, less choice.

I admit that it is impossible to rip the band-aid off Medicare and completely privatize it, but we need to move in that direction, returning both control and responsibility to the individual.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens : So, if I read you correctly, Medicare, having failed under the weight of government mangling, your solution is for more government.  Do I have this correctly? This is the liberal battle cry:  Our approach has failed, so we need more of it!  This translates into more restrictions, higher taxes, less choice. I admit that it is impossible to rip the band-aid off Medicare and completely privatize it, but we need to move in that direction, returning both control and responsibility to the individual.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Better government is what is being sought.  Better.

When you are 80 with a multitude of health issues and a fixed income you don't want the responsibility to come up with your own plan for your healthcare.  You might not even have the abiltiy to do it.  You just want a support system that is guaranteed to give the care you need. Only the government can do that for you and all like you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens : Better government is what is being sought.  Better. When you are 80 with a multitude of health issues and a fixed income you don't want the responsibility to come up with your own plan for your healthcare.  You might not even have the abiltiy to do it.  You just want a support system that is guaranteed to give the care you need. Only the government can do that for you and all like you.
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Better government?  Why not better solution?

I think some people tend to think that government, by virtue of it being government, is better, and a tweak here, a tweak there, and it is all good.  It is not.  It is the wrong vehicle to handle any health care.

Well, if you plan ahead for that eventuality, then you are covered.

If you don't, you are up the creek without a paddle.

As far as support system, yes, for those who need it.  Pushing everyone into Medicare at 65 is not a support system, it is excessive government control that leads to diminished services at a very high rate.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens : So, if I read you correctly, Medicare, having failed under the weight of government mangling, your solution is for more government.  Do I have this correctly? This is the liberal battle cry:  Our approach has failed, so we need more of it!  This translates into more restrictions, higher taxes, less choice. I admit that it is impossible to rip the band-aid off Medicare and completely privatize it, but we need to move in that direction, returning both control and responsibility to the individual.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

No..my solution is not more government. It's better..more efficient government. Sorry, but I don't think for profit, privatization of medicare will work. I think there should be drastic changes but there are certain things like defense, education and healthcare that I think are not best served by privatizing.

If you read my post..you would have seen that I advocated for bringing healthcare costs down overall as a way to control medicare.  A for profit private model will not bring costs down for the patient because their goal will always be profits. The shareholders will always want more.
    In my community, a local hospital was recently taken over by a private, for profit company. The result? Patients get approached by the billing department as they lay in a hospital bed recovering from surgeries or heart attacks...even the ones who have insurance coverage!Local doctors are leaving this hospital in droves because they don't like the policies which consist of "selling' tests and services that may not even be needed. How does that bring costs down?
     No doubt medicare needs to be addressed..but privatization is simply not the answer to everything.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan vs Senior Citizens : No..my solution is not more government. It's better..more efficient government. Sorry, but I don't think for profit, privatization of medicare will work. I think there should be drastic changes but there are certain things like defense, education and healthcare that I think are not best served by privatizing. If you read my post..you would have seen that I advocated for bringing healthcare costs down overall as a way to control medicare.  A for profit private model will not bring costs down for the patient because their goal will always be profits. The shareholders will always want more. In my community, a local hospital was recently taken over by a private, for profit company. The result? Patients get approached by the billing department as they lay in a hospital bed recovering from surgeries or heart attacks...even the ones who have insurance coverage!Local doctors are leaving this hospital in droves because they don't like the policies which consist of "selling' tests and services that may not even be needed. How does that bring costs down?  No doubt medicare needs to be addressed..but privatization is simply not the answer to everything.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Sorry. this better government mantra rings hollow.  It is MORE government you seek. Is Obamacare more government, or better government?  Is Medicare More government, or better government?

Privitization is not the solution to everything, nothing is.  Privitization is just better for most, that's all.

The more you want "better" government, the more government you need to add, the more restrictive, the more costly, the less efficient.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Image of short tailed weasel looking back