SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters

Overturning Sotomayor.

5-4

How on Earth can 4 people this smart say that

Since no blacks scored high enough for promotion, all those who did will not be promoted either

Is not discrimination?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters

Because Supreme Court Justices are the same as politicians.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

In Response to Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters:
    [QUOTE]Because Supreme Court Justices are the same as politicians.
    Posted by heynow98[/QUOTE]

4 of them anyway, and not by design.

Of course, these are the same four that said individual property rights take a back seat to corporate interests, and Kennedy joined THEM on that one.

What is it with these 4 and Connecticut?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters : 4 of them anyway, and not by design. Of course, these are the same four that said individual property rights take a back seat to corporate interests, and Kennedy joined THEM on that one. What is it with these 4 and Connecticut?
    Posted by GreginMedford[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to New London, CT but I had a person who worked for Phizer there tell me that they really haven't done much with that land that the government stole from private American citizens to give to Phizer.

Bless those people....I would have ended up in jail if I was one of those homeowners.

Nice to see the court get this one right.  Affirmative action is racism at it's worst.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

I worked for Pfizer at the time.  Absolutely everyone figured it out instantly.  Its across the street!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

One can tell immediately by media spin whether the decision goes the way that the liberals want.  If it pleases the liberals, it gets glowing coverage....this decision is spun negatively...

CNN story, first sentence: a "divisive" case...quotes extensively from dissent....

"Obama loving AP" story in Wash Post , third sentence:  

"The ruling could alter employment practices nationwide and make it harder to prove discrimination when there is no evidence it was intentional. "

Huh? "harder to prove discrimination" ? Wasnt the ruling on the basis of discrimination against the white firefighters? In liberal-speak , it is not discrimination, but "reverse discrimination"....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

I'm sure that we will be hearing how the majority ruled against blacks.

I wonder if we'll hear that the minority ruled against Latinos?

You know, like Judge Sonia Sotomayor

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

OMG!  Another Barak Obama "Thing" that has not worked out!  Is this like 20 for 20 since the guy has taken office?  When will someone scream "The Emperor Has No Clothes" !!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]One can tell immediately by media spin whether the decision goes the way that the liberals want.  If it pleases the liberals, it gets glowing coverage....this decision is spun negatively... CNN story, first sentence: a "divisive" case...quotes extensively from dissent.... "Obama loving AP" story in Wash Post , third sentence:   "The ruling could alter employment practices nationwide and make it harder to prove discrimination when there is no evidence it was intentional. " Huh? "harder to prove discrimination" ? Wasnt the ruling on the basis of discrimination against the white firefighters? In liberal-speak , it is not discrimination, but "reverse discrimination"....
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

Even Drudge!

SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS SOTOMAYOR;
    SIDES WITH WHITE FIREFIGHTERS

A:   who cares if Sotomayor was one of 3 judges overturned
    B:  The plaintiffs were NOT ALL WHITE!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529409,00.html

as an african-american -  someone who supported the firefighters against Sotomayor, i'm glad the decision went down the way it did.

a giant thumb in the eye to the goyabean judge.

so this decision seemingly puts the city and fire department in the middle of two classes of people who want to sue;  the disabled white firefighters against the blacks who have liberal backing in the state

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I'm anxious to see how Keith Olberman reports this tonight.

We play a game when we watch him.  You have to guess the over/under on how long it takes Keith Olberman to say any one of the following names.  Cheney, Rush, Hannity, Glenn Beck, Karl Rove or O'Reilly.  He's probably the most insecure person on television...his ratings reflect it.  It's usually every 5-8 minutes, every single night.  Go ahead, try it.

I bet he never mentions that this case passed through Sotomayor's court.

Congrats SCOTUS for being the voice of reason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of New Haven firefighters : I haven't been to New London, CT but I had a person who worked for Phizer there tell me that they really haven't done much with that land that the government stole from private American citizens to give to Phizer. Bless those people....I would have ended up in jail if I was one of those homeowners. Nice to see the court get this one right.  Affirmative action is racism at it's worst.
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

Affirmative action is a good idea gone bad, with many unintended consequences.  In this case, I think the appeals court was wrong in their ruling, as was the city. Had no non-white firefighters passed the initial test, that would be one thing, perhaps the test was written in such a way that it would be harder for someone of a different culture or ethnicity to pass (why, I don't know, but everyone learns differently).  In this case, everyone passed, only white firefighters did well enough to get promoted.  Everyone had an equal chance to take and pass the test.  I rarely agree with the conservative wing, but on the surface, it seems they got this one right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Equal opportunity is not enough for some folks. They want an equal outcome as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

New Haven should burn with bad firefighters.  Aside from a few good pizza joints, the place could really use a good inferno and then start over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

If everyone passed, and two Hispanics scored high enough to be promoted, how could it have been an inherently biased test?  Were the 2 Hispanics denied promotions not hispanic enough? Perhaps they were "white" Hispanics rather than "black"?  Or maybe it was just that they spent more time money and energy to assure themselves of getting a good grade without relying on affirmative action?  Maybe they were just smarter, even smarter than the "white" firefighters who took the test and did NOT get a good enough grade to be promoted? Score a good decision for the SCOTUS, even if 4 didn't pass the fairness test.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

On the news this morning, they made it sound like the decision was a bad thing. I find that very telling as to where we are. If they wanted an equal outcome, then why have the test in the first place?? If there is an issue with the test, then the time to voice concern is before it gets administered, not after the fact when you don't like what you see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

The press is CONSTANTLY saying the court ruled in favor of white firefighters.

THEY WERE NOT ALL WHITE!!!

Did they ever say Sotomayor voted AGAINST Latino firefighters?

That would be a big no.

Anyone got any fables about the right wing press?  Those are good for a laugh