Speak English!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Speak English!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569379,00.html?test=latestnews

- can't really say I disagree with it. 

Whether it's illegal aliens who don't know much of anything; or legal immigrants who don't bother learning and maintaining the ability to speak english.

All the laws of this country are written in english.  Particularly traffic laws.
    Contrary to popular belief; you're not allowed to hog the road; drive wrecklessly or kill people while driving drunk.

Maybe they allow you to do that in Mexico but not here.
    Capiche'?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charles2008. Show Charles2008's posts

Re: Speak English!

Sorry, but this is quite an ignorant statement.

There is nothing about driving a car that requires you to speak english.  Besides, there are no laws that require people to speak english in order to drive.

Listen, I 've driven all over the world in countries where I do not speak the language.  I drove all over Eastern Europe, Turkey, Japan, Scandinavia, etc. etc.  And I don't speak any of these languages.  It is harder to drive in England,a nd yet I have no problem with their language.
    I was even stopped by police in countries where I had no idea what the policeman was saying (of course, I knew why - I have a heavy right foot).  No problem. A speeding ticket is self explanatory in any language. 

Do I think all people in the US should speak English?  Of course.  But that is not for my benefit, it is for theirs.  All worthwhile economic activities in this country goes on in English.  Anybody who is not fluent in English would be shortchanging himslef and his future.

All xenophobes want to make not speaking English as something that is somehow harming THEM.  Why do they care.  Whoever does not speak English is most likely doomed forever be stay the lower classes.

I disagree with "bilingual" education because it is the worst method to make a non-english speaker actually "bilingual". It just does not work. And those who must be against it are actually the parents of those non-english speakers. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

In Response to Speak English!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569379,00.html?test=latestnews - can't really say I disagree with it.  Wether it's illegal aliens who don't know much of anything; or legal immigrants who don't bother learning and maintaining the ability to speak english. All the laws of this country are written in english.  Particularly traffic laws. Contrary to popular belief; you're not allowed to hog the road; drive wrecklessly or kill people while driving drunk. Maybe they allow you to do that in Mexico but not here. Capiche'?
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? you can't disagree? you do know that the same jaded, dumbfounded beliefs you hold towards undocumented immigrants are the same views white people use to hold about people like you right? or do uncle tom's not care anymore?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinvolved. Show getinvolved's posts

Stop signs, curve, slow down, children playing, school zone, etc.

No reason to speak English to drive?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

These aren't just a bunch of magic symbols posted all over the road when you drive. They actually mean something.   Illegal and legal aliens who blow off the necessity to read, speak and understand english DO IN FACT harm ( more so ) the potential victims of their irresponsibility.

Like. 

For example.

A  child riding a tricycle across the street with a grandparent.

Two teenage girls jogging in sweatpants along the curb.

The old lady pushing a two wheel cart full of groceries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

In Response to Re: Speak English!:
    [QUOTE]These aren't just a bunch of magic symbols posted all over the road when you drive. They actually mean something.   Illegal and legal aliens who blow off the necessity to read, speak and understand english DO IN FACT harm ( more so ) the potential victims of their irresponsibility. Like.  For example.   A  child riding a tricycle across the street with a grandparent. Two teenage girls jogging in sweatpants along the curb. The old lady pushing a two wheel cart full of groceries.
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

my mother once told me if you don't have anything nice to say to a person don't say anything at all. And with that, i'll just put you on ignore and neither of us are worst for wear.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

These aren't just a bunch of magic symbols posted all over the road when you drive

The picture on the signs is not art work, it's an international symbol and put there for those who cannot speak english. It's been going on for some time. If you could drive, you would know that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

Sorry, but the "rules of the road" argument isn't a good one. Road signs are explicitly designed not to require literacy:

Left turn only = arrow on pavement, not just a sign
    Stop = Red light or red octogon
    Do not enter = Red circle with line at entrance, arrow pointing the legal way for one-ways
    Square white sign with number (35, 65, etc.) = speed limit

Road signs are SYMBOLS for a reason. The foremost of these is reaction time. We don't stop at a stop sign because we've read the word STOP. We stop because we instantly recognize the shape/color combination as a symbol meaning stop.

Before driving in Ireland and the UK I had never realized how useful the yellow vs. white lines on our streets are. Yellow means opposing traffic, white means same-direction. Instant information that was suddenly missing. Drove me nuts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Considering the fact that so many ordinary americans; ( never mind legal and illegal immigrants ) are just as ( if not more so ) ignorant of driving and traffic ettiquette;

But aside from that; there are other non color coded; see and react street signs like parking signs. 

Yellow " Dead End " road signs may be in yellow for caution, but cautious driving doesn't tell you you're about to run out of road and either end up inside someone's house; on the train tracks or head right off a cliff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user1234. Show user1234's posts

xttwo reminds me of this guy:

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

xttwo is an uncle tom

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Virtually every country I've travelled to it is common to speak more than one language. I think it's funny that there are so many people in this country that feel that people from another country are a lesser species. I think user1234s' photo says it all about the people who fall for the chattell mentality rhetoric that is beheld by the ultra redneck Fuax news crackpots who permeate this board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]xttwo is an uncle tom
    Posted by scauma82[/QUOTE]

What makes him an "uncle tom"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

read thru his posts and it'll be evident. but i apologize to him, i don't know him personally and i shouldn't pass judgement, but i don't care much for him and i'm sure he doesn't care whether or not i care much for him. opinions are like....you know the rest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

Actually; I think I remind myself of someone in particular.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Johnodog. Show Johnodog's posts

We should encourage English because it allows access to all of America's opportunities. Bilingual education actually stunts development. We should use immersion techniques. I don't have any problem with multi lingual road sighs because we get plenty of tourists in America.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

[QUOTE]We should encourage English because it allows access to all of America's opportunities. Bilingual education actually stunts development. We should use immersion techniques. I don't have any problem with multi lingual road sighs because we get plenty of tourists in America.
    Posted by Johnodog[/QUOTE]

You notice other countries don't have this problem.  I don't see to many spanish people wandering around germany wondering why road signs aren't in german and spanish.

I don't see to many chinese people in Russia wondering why road signs aren't in russian and chinese. 

Anyone know if other countries are as bilingual as everyone wants the United States to be?

Somehow I doubt it, but hey; it's just a guess. Foot in mouth

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

Canada posts all signs in English and French. In Vancouver, you often see signs in Chinese as well (I assume this came in when Hong Kong went back to the Chinese and businessmen decided it was Commonwealth Canada for them).

China, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland. All multilingual in regions or everywhere.

Beyond that, other countries take general pride in speaking multiple languages. I think the Dutch are considered the most multilingual. My Swedish ex started learning English words and phrases in Kindergarten. Actual instruction began around 8 or 9. Since her teachers taught posh Oxbridge English, her accent was better than mine, which was kind of annoying.

Why is it so hard, so disasterous, and so onerous for Americans to learn another language? Conservatives seem to go apopleptic at the idea. Do they think we're dumber than Europeans? Are we more lazy? We're talking about people who work 35 hour weeks and take August off. Surely we can keep up.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xttwo. Show xttwo's posts

That's why no one cares about Europe.  All they make is a good wine and cheese.

We ( The US. ) make everything.  Cars, boats; planes; construction vehicles; entertainment; technology.

Ergo.  GNP is far greater and more robust than  theirs which is one dimensional.

When you don't make nothing but a good wine and chesse; you can afford to do so little like work 35 hours a week and  take August off. 

Hell they might as well take May, June, July September, October, November and December, January, Feburary, April off too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charles2008. Show Charles2008's posts

[QUOTE]We should encourage English because it allows access to all of America's opportunities. Bilingual education actually stunts development. We should use immersion techniques. I don't have any problem with multi lingual road sighs because we get plenty of tourists in America.
    Posted by Johnodog[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good way you put it.  I could not agree more. Bilingual education (the way "bilingual" is defined in US education system) is useless. This is not how you learn language.

The people who are most losing in the US, are those who do not speak english.  But the ignorants make it sound that THEY are somehow the ones suffering from it.

Having said that, I disagree on bilingual signs. Safety road signs are internationally recognized symbols.  No problem there.  The eye-chart signs are usually for things like details to parking instructions, or other ad-hoc details. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charles2008. Show Charles2008's posts

[QUOTE]That's why no one cares about Europe.  All they make is a good wine and cheese.   We ( The US. ) make everything.  Cars, boats; planes; construction vehicles; entertainment; technology. Ergo.  GNP is far greater and more robust than  theirs which is one dimensional. When you don't make nothing but a good wine and chesse; you can afford to do so little like work 35 hours a week and  take August off.  Hell they might as well take May, June, July September, October, November and December, January, Feburary, April off too.
    Posted by xttwo[/QUOTE]

You must pride yourself on being the resident ignoramus!

EU GDP is now larger than US GDP.  They make a lot more cars than us.  Airbus made more planes than Boeing in 7 of the last 10 years.  .....  I have not looked into all your claims, but it is obvious you pulled them out of your a_s.

On your previous assertion about bilingualism in European countries, it is more like "MULTI-lingualism" that exists there. You can hardly find somebody with a modicum of education whether in Germany, or any other European country that does not understand a minimum of 2 or 3 languages.  Don't look at the world from your provincial prism!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Oh yeah, immigrants not speaking English in this country has really held us back as a nation.  So much for Home of the Free.

The same idiots that complain about big Government and too much Government interference in out lives would like nothing better that the Government to force people to speak English.

I wonder, is there a hierarchy of being a Good American based on how well you speak English?  Are southerners with their draws, Texans with their twangs, and people for Southie not as "good" an American as someone who speaks English without a regional accent?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

[QUOTE]Oh yeah, immigrants not speaking English in this country has really held us back as a nation.  So much for Home of the Free. The same idiots that complain about big Government and too much Government interference in out lives would like nothing better that the Government to force people to speak English. I wonder, is there a hierarchy of being a Good American based on how well you speak English?  Are southerners with their draws, Texans with their twangs, and people for Southie not as "good" an American as someone who speaks English without a regional accent?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]....well the south overwhelmingly voted for McCain and the vacuous bimbo from Wasilla

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speak English! : You must pride yourself on being the resident ignoramus! EU GDP is now larger than US GDP.  They make a lot more cars than us.  Airbus made more planes than Boeing in 7 of the last 10 years.  .....  I have not looked into all your claims, but it is obvious you pulled them out of your a_s. On your previous assertion about bilingualism in European countries, it is more like "MULTI-lingualism" that exists there. You can hardly find somebody with a modicum of education whether in Germany, or any other European country that does not understand a minimum of 2 or 3 languages.  Don't look at the world from your provincial prism!
    Posted by Charles2008[/QUOTE]

I presume you have facts to back up these numbers, if Europe is so great, why don't you move there.

You can call people racist four different languages........