Texting While Driving

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hannacroix. Show hannacroix's posts

Texting While Driving

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has proposed increasing the penalty for texting or using certain electronic devices (i.e. tablets, netbooks, laptops) while driving.
    Why have MA legislators and Gov. Patrick dragged their feet on this increasingly
    dangerous problem to their constituents? Distracted driving is an everday risk to all of us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SheepGrimTimeToGo. Show SheepGrimTimeToGo's posts

Re: Texting While Driving

They should add to that list women driving while putting on make-up, lip stick, or doing their hair by using the rear view mirror. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Am I wrong..or don't we already have "distracted driver" laws on the books. If so, why not just step up enforcement of those laws? It's not just texting..I have been in traffic with people who are reading magazines/newspapers while driving..women putting on makeup while driving...people eating..etc..etc.
    That being said, I don't think anyone should be texting while driving. I used to be good friends with a woman who did this all the time..it was so bad that eventually, I refused to ride in a car which she was driving.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

It seems every day of the week someone's arrested for drunk driving in Massachusetts.  But every once in awhile someone dies, killed by a drunk driver.  Usually it's a young child.    Usually white.   Now and then the driver's a white person or illegal alien.

The Penalty?   Couple of years in jail.   Couple of years probation.

Ever since Massachusetts did away with the death penalty we've been weaker and weaker on crime. Black people in Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan kill each other any number of ways every day of the week and no one ever really seems to go to jail, or for very long.

Texting while driving may be one of any number of distracted driving behaviors but only the ones that statistically happen and cause serious accidents and deaths should be crimes.

But what good is something being a crime if there is no real punishment?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Texting While Driving:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Texting While Driving : Its called, "Operating to endanger", and is criminal. I Googled it, and got a litany of OUI lawyers. ITS ALREADY ILLEGAL. Good call Cricket
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Greg..I kind of thought so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Whenever I see a woman putting on make up, I get distracted.  Can I get I arrested for this?
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    Well..if you can get arrested for that..then I guess I should be more careful driving by construction sites in the summer....:-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Texting While Driving : Its called, "Operating to endanger", and is criminal. I Googled it, and got a litany of OUI lawyers. ITS ALREADY ILLEGAL. Good call Cricket

That is a pretty broad definition for that law.  Generally such a charge only happens if there is an accident or near accident (the endangerment part).  Better to have a civil infraction available for all other incidents.   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

[QUOTE]It seems every day of the week someone's arrested for drunk driving in Massachusetts.  But every once in awhile someone dies, killed by a drunk driver.  Usually it's a young child.    Usually white.   Now and then the driver's a white person or illegal alien. The Penalty?   Couple of years in jail.   Couple of years probation. Ever since Massachusetts did away with the death penalty we've been weaker and weaker on crime. Black people in Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan kill each other any number of ways every day of the week and no one ever really seems to go to jail, or for very long.
    WXT,
    Your point is fundamentally racist and I really do not understand what you are saying. Because these murders are prosecuted and these folks do go to jail for a long time. Your generalisation really is overblown. The death penaly never reduced the murder rate white, black, yellow, etc. The big thing the death penalty did was employ a lot of public defenders to do all the required appeal hearings that tied up the courts. Of course this took tax dollars to maintain.
     Mass is not weaker on crime as you claim. And the Law is not the reason for short stays. Its your wallet. Do not bit*h about taxes on one hand and then claim that not enough folks are locked up. We already fill the system with trivial mandatory sentences for minor crimes and people like you do not want to pay to build jail cells because of the taxes.
    __________________________________________________________________ Texting while driving may be one of any number of distracted driving behaviors but only the ones that statistically happen and cause serious accidents and deaths should be crimes. But what good is something being a crime if there is no real punishment?
    Posted by WriterXT[/QUOTE]
    Nothing statistically happens. Statisics do not predict actual events. They do show the potential of occurence. The problem with some events is that the evidence is poor. If I do not see your phone and your fingers on it are you texting or just a distracted driver? Why have a separate charge? Maybe to get a warrant to the phone record.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Texting While Driving : 1. Inattention 2. Excessive speed 3. Failure to a wear seat belt 4. Distraction inside the vehicle 5. Inadequate defensive driving techniques 6. Incorrect assumptions about other roadway users 7. Tailgating or not leaving enough space between vehicles 8. Driving while fatigued, angry, or impaired by alcohol or other drugs 9. Failure to check blind spot before changing lanes 10. Failure to allow enough time or space to merge, leave, or cross traffic.

Not sure where you got that list.  It is not in the statute.  "Inattention", "Distraction", "Assumptions" (?) and "Anger" (!?) happen all the time.  Everyone could be arrested/convicted if the law was read this broadly. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

No one's brought up the lying and deciet factor. 

Even if someone was distracted by using a cellphone or trying to send a text message;  whose to say the perpetrator won't ( in desperation ) discard their cellphone from the scene of an accident?

No I wasn't distracted; I had the right of way; these people crashed into me.

When I got into a car accident back in 1993, I was an incompetent driver with only two full days ( before that day ) of driving experience alone in a car.
    A rented car for the weekend that my aunt rented for me to use.

That sunday it was raining;  I didn't know enough to turn on my defogger as well as the windshield wipers; I got into an accident.

Before the police and EMT technicians examined me;  I broke my glasses in half and threw them in the driver's seat in plain view. 

I had a class D restriction ( corrective lenses ) which meant I needed to wear glesses but I never really wore them when I drove. 

So it is possible that there are plenty of people out there who can and will lie their way out of being repsonsible for car crashes whether they're distracted or not.   I was one.

The only thing you can't get away with is being drunk or under the influence of drugs.

Sections
Shortcuts