The Tea Party Terrorists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Re: The Tea Party Terrorists

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists:
    In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : I've heard this guy, and when he talks, it sounds like he's reading text prepared by Fox News. In the pre-Civil War era, he would have been referred to as a 'house slave.'
    Posted by bill1013

So you are calling him an "Uncle Tom" because he says things you disagree with? And which group is racist? Is Bill Cosby an "Uncle Tom" too? How about Jesse Jackson who has FINALLY started to be honest and admit the Democrats have ruined the black inner city culture in this country!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Thanks for the history lesson. But I am talking about today not fifty years ago.  As you know, the Democrats had a lot of hardline southern conservatives in their coalition back then.  Their descendants are now all in the G.O.P.  Obviously by the recent vote on DADT the G.O.P. has little use for new civil rights legislation.  Indeed they are actively against it. For a party that is supposed to be a supporter of the rights of the individual they do a lousy job when push comes to shove.  Those social conservatives set the tone and drag the rest of the party with them.
    Posted by Reubenhop

Wrong Reuben! That is the mistake liberals make! Conservatives think the Civil Rights Act handled 99% of this and we don't need 1000 laws making ever sub set of people a "protected group". Lets start universally enforcing our laws and most of this BS is solved! Are not gays and blacks "Americans"? Well, CRA 1964 covered that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Wrong Reuben! That is the mistake liberals make! Conservatives think the Civil Rights Act handled 99% of this and we don't need 1000 laws making ever sub set of people a "protected group". Lets start universally enforcing our laws and most of this BS is solved! Are not gays and blacks "Americans"? Well, CRA 1964 covered that.
    Posted by brat13

Even a cursory knowledge of history will tell you that the fight for civil rights did not end in 1964.  A lot of work was still to be done.  One need only look at the issue of gay rights right now and the shameful opposition of the G.O.P. on DADT to realize 1964 was not the end point of this effort.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

The very premise of this thread is a mindless lumping. And if DADT repeal (which I supported) was an example of "the anti-gay social conservative route", then why wasn't it when it was put in in the first place, to thwart, yes, the DEMOCRATS? 
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Talking about today.  Can't change yesterday, but can learn from it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Ergoteal did not start the thread.  You are smearing the wrong person.   Or do you just mindlessly lump all people who disagree with you together so they are held responsible for any comment from the those to the left of you.  You do realize that would be virtually everybody...   
    Posted by Reubenhop

Uncalled for Rueben.  I'm ignoring Alley cat, so at a quick glance, looked like ergotal started the thread.    Apologies to ergotal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Even a cursory knowledge of history will tell you that the fight for civil rights did not end in 1964.  A lot of work was still to be done.  One need only look at the issue of gay rights right now and the shameful opposition of the G.O.P. on DADT to realize 1964 was not the end point of this effort.
    Posted by Reubenhop

It is a fight every day because the laws on the books are not being enforced! We don't need more!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : It is a fight every day because the laws on the books are not being enforced! We don't need more!
    Posted by brat13

We had to get rid of one: DADT.  There are few more discriminatory laws and practices (like DOMA) that need the same attention, but certainly in Massachusetts we have created some good protections.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Ah, the fact it was the dems to begin with is irrelevant, NOW. Okey dokey counselor.  That'll work. Ditto civil rights and womens suffrage, eh?\ And of course, you take umbrage at being lumped in as all, in a thread with this title. LOL Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! Run away Sir Robin.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

The Republicans have a disgusting embrace of regressive policies in terms of civil rights today.  No wonder you want to talk about years ago.  Why don't you do a little self examination.  Why do you hang with a bunch of bigots?  I bet you want to run away from that real quick.  I can hear the coconuts as you march off into the sunset.  Run away!  Reality hurts: best avoid it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : The Republicans have a disgusting embrace of regressive policies in terms of civil rights today.  No wonder you want to talk about years ago.  Why don't you do a little self examination.  Why do you hang with a bunch of bigots?  I bet you want to run away from that real quick.  I can hear the coconuts as you march off into the sunset.  Run away!  Reality hurts: best avoid it.
    Posted by Reubenhop

That's a pretty serious and unsubstantiated charge, ruebie, that the republicans have embraced regressive policies in terms of civil rights.   I don't see anything , care to elaborate, or are you just trying to fill out the  liberal template that republicans are bigots and racists, with out facts?  I guess you are comfortable flinging wild accusations.

So much for the much ballyhooed tone of civility from the last couple of weeks.  I guess we now know who are the uncivil ones.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Republicans are just plain disgusting:)...........
    Posted by AlleyCatBruin

Some more of your witty insight.  Your open minded tolerance perhaps?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : I did not diminish what was done several generations ago.  But we are focusing on where the parties are now.  The G.O.P. has drummed out virtually all their social liberals and have become a group that opposes virtually all civil rights initiatives. The Democrats still try to make a push in this regard.  DADT was a shameful result for the G.O.P.: despite the repeal being supported by the military's top brass and most of the rank and file, the Republicans went the anti-gay social conservative route.
    Posted by Reubenhop

It sure seems that way.  Past performance means something...and your dismissing it to "focus" on today.  I sincerely doubt your assertion that the GOP opposes civil rights.  But everyone has an opinion...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : That's a pretty serious and unsubstantiated charge, ruebie, that the republicans have embraced regressive policies in terms of civil rights.   I don't see anything , care to elaborate, or are you just trying to fill out the  liberal template that republicans are bigots and racists, with out facts?  I guess you are comfortable flinging wild accusations. So much for the much ballyhooed tone of civility from the last couple of weeks.  I guess we now know who are the uncivil ones.
    Posted by skeeter20

Look at the vote on DADT.  Despite the fact that the top brass and a substantial majority of rank and file in the military supported repeal, the G.O.P. overwhelmingly opposed the effort.  What other explanation could there be than just basic bigotry?  

Civility is still a value I uphold, but that does not mean you don't call out people when they engage in moral wrongdoing.  AND I am not putting cross hairs on anyone or talking about second amendment remedies to deal with the problem.  Stupid people need to be taught, not shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Look at the vote on DADT.  Despite the fact that the top brass and a substantial majority of rank and file in the military supported repeal, the G.O.P. overwhelmingly opposed the effort.  What other explanation could there be than just basic bigotry?   Civility is still a value I uphold, but that does not mean you don't call out people when they engage in moral wrongdoing.  AND I am not putting cross hairs on anyone or talking about second amendment remedies to deal with the problem.  Stupid people need to be taught, not shot.
    Posted by Reubenhop

DADT is not a right, i.e. you don't have a right to be anything you want in life and expect everyone else to accomodate you.   Saying it is does not make it so. 

Don't go back to the 2nd amendment remedies.  Cleaned the floor with you on that one, and the crosshairs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Who is fighting for DOMA in the courts as we speak? Is RIGHT NOW going too far back for ya?
    Posted by GreginMeffa

We have been over this before: the president is obliged to defend the laws of the land.  AND a Democrat (Coakley) is pushing the case to the next level.  So it is a mixed bag.  Lastly, DOMA is going no where given the current House.

Now explain why you don't call out the G.O.P. for their immoral opposition to DADT.  You are still ducking that issue.  Can't you criticize your own for their failings?  Or is it always about the "other guy"? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : DADT is not a right, i.e. you don't have a right to be anything you want in life and expect everyone else to accomodate you.   Saying it is does not make it so.  Don't go back to the 2nd amendment remedies.  Cleaned the floor with you on that one, and the crosshairs.
    Posted by skeeter20

Equal protection is a right.  Get used to it.  You might want to read the Constitution some time.

You haven't "cleaned the floor" with anyone.  But you do have an active fantasy life.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Equal protection is a right.  Get used to it.  Yo might want to read the Constitution some time. You haven't "cleaned the floor" with anyone.  But you do have an active fantasy life.
    Posted by Reubenhop

They were equally treated.  Now they are unequally treated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Look at the vote on DADT.  Despite the fact that the top brass and a substantial majority of rank and file in the military supported repeal, the G.O.P. overwhelmingly opposed the effort.  What other explanation could there be than just basic bigotry?   Civility is still a value I uphold, but that does not mean you don't call out people when they engage in moral wrongdoing.  AND I am not putting cross hairs on anyone or talking about second amendment remedies to deal with the problem.  Stupid people need to be taught, not shot.
    Posted by Reubenhop

Reuben, though not a Republican, I generally vote that way. I come from a family that not only has voted for a Kennedy EVERY time they have appeared on the ballot but has worked on John, Robert and Teddy's campaigns with pictures to prove it. I am in political terms the anti-Christ in my family.
    My very liberal mother and sisters couldn't come to their grand-daughter/nieces wedding because she was marrying another woman!  They 100% support both DADT and DOMA. You are WAY over generalizing this and I assure you it is NOT a D and R thing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

They were equally treated.  Now they are unequally treated.
    Posted by skeeter20

Ohhh this should be good for a laugh.

By all means, explain how it is that the military treated homosexuals and heterosexuals equally under DADT and 10 USC 654(b). 

Good lord.  You make LSD look boring.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

Ohhh this should be good for a laugh. By all means, explain how it is that the military treated homosexuals and heterosexuals equally under DADT and 10 USC 654(b).  Good lord.  You make LSD look boring.  
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on boston.com...but it seems to me that if DADT prohibited the military from investigating an individual's sexual orientation then regardless of preference military personnel would be, for investigative purposes, treated equally.  Removing the restriction, it would seem, could allow for investigations into lyfestyle preferences...thus unequal treatment since I doubt any investigation would take place to see if a guy likes girls or vice versa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on boston.com...but it seems to me that if DADT prohibited the military from investigating an individual's sexual orientation then regardless of preference military personnel would be, for investigative purposes, treated equally.  Removing the restriction, it would seem, could allow for investigations into lyfestyle preferences...thus unequal treatment since I doubt any investigation would take place to see if a guy likes girls or vice versa.
    Posted by Rushfan2112

Bingo!  give this man a prize!

equal treatment has been replaced with special treatment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : A.  Show me where the executive branch is obliged to challenge ANY decision by the judicial branch.  Load of horsesht. Of course, President, "I am not in favor of gay marriage", directing his DOJ to challenge the court's ruling against DOMA could be unrelated, since a flying pig just went by my office window. B.  I called everyone of them out, PERSONALLY, and DIRECTLY.  Ten bucks says you did no such thing, for either party.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

To my knowledge this is the first time that you have challenged you conservative brethern on their abysmal showing on DADT. Congratulations.  However, I don't believe for a minute you called each and every Republican who voted against DADT and chastised them for their immoral actions.  And if you don't understand the idea that the Executive enforces the law (he doesn't make the law), you were sleeping in Civics class. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : They were equally treated.  Now they are unequally treated.
    Posted by skeeter20

Ridiculous.  Before only gays could be fired for admitting their sexuality. Now they can't.  That is being treated equally, not unequally. Duh!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : Reuben, though not a Republican, I generally vote that way. I come from a family that not only has voted for a Kennedy EVERY time they have appeared on the ballot but has worked on John, Robert and Teddy's campaigns with pictures to prove it. I am in political terms the anti-Christ in my family. My very liberal mother and sisters couldn't come to their grand-daughter/nieces wedding because she was marrying another woman!  They 100% support both DADT and DOMA. You are WAY over generalizing this and I assure you it is NOT a D and R thing!
    Posted by brat13

No I don't disagree. It is a conservative issue and a generational difference (being gay to a young person is like being left handed) and that cuts across party lines.  But the DADT vote shows it is also a Republican and Democrat matter.  The G.O.P. was overwhelmingly against the DADT repeal without any real rational reason behind their effort.  If the military did not oppose it why did the Republicans???  Prejudice... maybe gussied up under the pretense of religion or tradition, but pretty much prejudice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: The Tea Party Terrorists : I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on boston.com...but it seems to me that if DADT prohibited the military from investigating an individual's sexual orientation then regardless of preference military personnel would be, for investigative purposes, treated equally.  Removing the restriction, it would seem, could allow for investigations into lyfestyle preferences...thus unequal treatment since I doubt any investigation would take place to see if a guy likes girls or vice versa.
    Posted by Rushfan2112

Sexuality is constitutionally protected under substantive due process and privacy cases.  The restrictions on gays in the military were already under court attack and now they are gone by legislative action.  . DADT went far beyond asking and telling it made being gay illegal in the military.  All of it is now gone. How you can then conclude that further challenges along these lines can be made is simply beyond me.  There is no law to allow it and there are rights to stop it

Sections
Shortcuts