The Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/pop-tart-gun-bill_n_2852472.html

About a week ago, 7-year-old Josh Welch was suspended from his Maryland school for two days after biting a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun.

"It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top and it kinda looked like a gun but it wasn't," Welch told Baltimore Fox station WBFF. "All I was trying to do was turn it into a mountain but, it didn't look like a mountain really and it turned out to be a gun kinda."

A Maryland lawmaker, who is among those who think that Park Elementary School may have doled out too harsh a punishment, has now introduced a bill to stop students who chew Pop-Tarts, or other not-ordinarily-dangerous materials, into the shape of a gun -- or who merely hold their fingers into the shape of a gun -- from being suspended again.

===

If my child was in that school I would take them out and tell the school that they were clearly too stupid for me to allow them to teach my child.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: The Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/pop-tart-gun-bill_n_2852472.html

About a week ago, 7-year-old Josh Welch was suspended from his Maryland school for two days after biting a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun.

"It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top and it kinda looked like a gun but it wasn't," Welch told Baltimore Fox station WBFF. "All I was trying to do was turn it into a mountain but, it didn't look like a mountain really and it turned out to be a gun kinda."

A Maryland lawmaker, who is among those who think that Park Elementary School may have doled out too harsh a punishment, has now introduced a bill to stop students who chew Pop-Tarts, or other not-ordinarily-dangerous materials, into the shape of a gun -- or who merely hold their fingers into the shape of a gun -- from being suspended again.

===

If my child was in that school I would take them out and tell the school that they were clearly too stupid for me to allow them to teach my child.

Clearly you aren't aware of the dangers of pop-tart guns. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: The Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act

I heard this story on the news the other morning. Things like this just make me shake my head. I don't know that it rises to the level of needing legislation...but perhaps some common sense training for school leaders who endorsed this punishment and this interpretation of a zero tolerance policy.

In addition..I would think the teacher who reported this as an incident really needs some additional training..and for sure..should not be teaching a classroom of 7 years olds. Clearly the teacher and the school have little concept of child development. If my kid were in a class where the teacher punished a kid for shaping a pop tart into a gun as he ate it..you can rest assured he would not be in that class for long.

Crazy...just crazy over-reaction on the part of the adults in that classroom and that school system.

Sections
Shortcuts