The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is:
    In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : Leaders should "shape the debate". Obama just picked the wrong side of the debate in your estimation.
    Posted by Reubenhop

Debate?  a child is dead, there is possibly/likely a crime.  Look, do you expect  the President to wade in on every local legal matter?  He should have expressed condolences and leave it at that.  There are plenty of politicians closer to the scene that can "shape the debate".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

WHAT RFK SAID:

Remember

Trayvon, a teenager, was shot dead by a "neighborhood watch" member as Trayvon was walking home from a convenience store. Trayvon was armed with nothing but a bottle of iced tea and a bag of Skittles. For me, it calls to mind the sentiments in the speech that Robert F. Kennedy gave from his heart on April 4, 1968, in Indianapolis, after Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed. This is what Robert F. Kennedy said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm only going to talk to you just for a minute or so this evening, because I have some – some very sad news for all of you – Could you lower those signs, please? – I have some very sad news for all of you, and, I think, sad news for all of our fellow citizens, and people who love peace all over the world; and that is that Martin Luther King was shot and was killed tonight in Memphis, Tennessee.

Martin Luther King dedicated his life to love and to justice between fellow human beings. He died in the cause of that effort. In this difficult day, in this difficult time for the United States, it's perhaps well to ask what kind of a nation we are and what direction we want to move in. For those of you who are black – considering the evidence evidently is that there were white people who were responsible – you can be filled with bitterness, and with hatred, and a desire for revenge.

We can move in that direction as a country, in greater polarization – black people amongst blacks, and white amongst whites, filled with hatred toward one another. Or we can make an effort, as Martin Luther King did, to understand, and to comprehend, and replace that violence, that stain of bloodshed that has spread across our land, with an effort to understand, compassion, and love.

For those of you who are black and are tempted to be filled with hatred and mistrust of the injustice of such an act, against all white people, I would only say that I can also feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling. I had a member of my family killed, but he was killed by a white man.

But we have to make an effort in the United States. We have to make an effort to understand, to get beyond, or go beyond these rather difficult times.

My favorite poet was Aeschylus. And he once wrote:

Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
    falls drop by drop upon the heart,
    until, in our own despair,
    against our will,
    comes wisdom
    through the awful grace of God.

What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence and lawlessness, but is love, and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or whether they be black.

So I ask you tonight to return home, to say a prayer for the family of Martin Luther King, but more importantly to say a prayer for our own country, which all of us love – a prayer for understanding and that compassion of which I spoke.

We can do well in this country. We will have difficult times. We've had difficult times in the past, but we – and we will have difficult times in the future. It is not the end of violence; it is not the end of lawlessness; and it's not the end of disorder.

But the vast majority of white people and the vast majority of black people in this country want to live together, want to improve the quality of our life, and want justice for all human beings that abide in our land.

And let's dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world. Let us dedicate ourselves to that, and say a prayer for our country and for our people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is:
    In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : You are going to pretend that there have not been many, many instances of racial profiling of black youths?  You are going to pretend that some of these instances have not led to those youths being killed? Are you going to suggest that there is not a possibility that these issues were not present in this matter?  An unarmed innocent black kid is stalked, confronted and killed and it is just random? You have more intelligence than that.
    Posted by Reubenhop

Reuben, you and many others are being led by the media to a conviction of Mr. Zimmerman without all the facts. This is akin to the "the Cambridge Police acted stupidly" comment. When the facts came out, they didn't act stupidly. They were dealing with a belligerent racist who wanted it to be about race.
    In this case, maybe the Sanford police didn't arrest Mr. Zimmerman because they talked to the one and only eye witness, and he said that Zimmerman was walking back to his vehicle when he was attacked by Mr. Martin. Mr. Martin was then on top of him on the ground and pounding away to the tune of a broken nose and cuts on the back of Mr. Zimmerman's head.
    If this account is true then Mr. Zimmerman did his duty as a neighborhood watch and actually listened to the police when they told him to get back in his vehicle. Or at least he tried to before he was attacked.
    I don't know which story is true, which is why I have not commented on this until now. My issue is the Sharptons and NBP's of the world are rushing to judgement and making a race thing and the President appears (at least on the surface) to also make it about race. If he had stopped at "If I had a son who was dead, I would have anguish in my heart and want the full truth to come out" or something like that, he would have IMHO been better off.
    The other side of this issue is with the 50 or so murders in black neighborhoods that same night, why no comment on those?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

Undeniable fact:  White on Black crime is almost always front page news and the lead story on the major networks.  Black on White crime is almost never front page news nor is it ever even reported on the major networks.  Crime is crime regardless of the color of the skin of the perp or the victim.  When we can get past this then there's truly hope for a better America.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Undeniable fact:  White on Black crime is almost always front page news and the lead story on the major networks.  Black on White crime is almost never front page news nor is it ever even reported on the major networks.  Crime is crime regardless of the color of the skin of the perp or the victim.  When we can get past this then there's truly hope for a better America.
    Posted by bobcatsr

You might add that black on black crime, which is far more severe than black on white crime, is also seldom noticed outside of the neighborhood.

It's almost as if unless it can be used for some political purpose the lives of these people do not really matter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : Actually, I'd think the real "other side of the issue" is why you demand that if a source reports about one murder, it must report about all murders, or else have an agenda. It's a slight twist on the BDC game of liberals cannot talk about conservatives acting badly without posting a list of all liberals who ever did something similar.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

The issue isn't whether they are reported on. They are reported on by the news media. I am asking why Sharpton et al isn't as up in arms (literally it would seem) with those other murders and their lack of anyone being arrested. Could it be that Sharpton and the NBP are racist?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Of course. A parent would be far less likely to attempt to read racism into another parent's sympathy with a dead child, simply so that they can play the "race card" card game on BDC.

I get it on the sympathy, but he didn't stop there.  he made a specific, pointed racial remark.

Obama is the one playing the race card.  I don't see him identifying with the white half of his gene pool, do you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : Actually, I'd think the real "other side of the issue" is why you demand that if a source reports about one murder, it must report about all murders, or else have an agenda. It's a slight twist on the BDC game of liberals cannot talk about conservatives acting badly without posting a list of all liberals who ever did something similar.

WDYWN:

IMO that is an excellent analogy. It has happened to me many times since last November, when I began posting here on a regular basis.

Your analogy also extends right here to the forums. I am one of those BDC liberals who have made an observation of a BDC conservative's actions in the forums to frequently have the response be not about the actions of the conservative or conservatives but to be called a hypocrite if I do not also, as you say, post a list of every BDC liberal who ever did something similar.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

There is a 17 year old teenager dead and a 28 year old man who fancied himself a police officer who had a gun. I find the fact that the 28y/o who probably wasn't  playing with a full deck was allowed to have a gun !!!!!!!

I want to know why the shooter wasn't taken into custody for manslaughter that night. This isn't Dodge City in the 1890's this is America of 2012. I want to know why the 28 y/o male was allowed to play Starsky and Hutch with a real gun on real streets of a real city in a real country .

Doesn't anybody else want to know why ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

I want to know why Sister and I also want to know why Black Panther Thugs with batons were allowed to stand outside a Philadelphia polling place intimidating voters and were not arrested for doing so.  Doesn't anyone else want to know why?  Actually Sister, you can ask these kinds of rhetorical questions all day long.  There's plenty wrong in America but if we continue to only care about ourselves then we're in big trouble.  Wrong is wrong, crime is crime and frankly, it makes no difference who it is who's doing the wrong.  When we can get this right then we're on the path to social justice. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Back to the topic "The Treyor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is". I disagree. I could explain why, but the piece below does an excellent job in illustrating the bind President Obama is caught in and how he handled it.

Racism in America: President Obama's Double-Bind on Trayvon Martin

When the president took a question on the Trayvon Martin case, he responded carefully:
    President Obama did not mention race even as he addressed it on Friday, instead letting his person and his words say it all: “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.”

...“I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids,” Mr. Obama said. “Every parent in America,” he added, “should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together ­ federal, state and local ­ to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.”

The tragedy is not just that a young boy was murdered in cold blood. The tragedy is that the police have so far left the murderer free to kill again. They haven't held him accountable for his actions. That's why the federal government is involved.

The president's response was tempered, which is appropriate considering that the case is under investigation.

“I’m the head of the executive branch and the attorney general reports to me so I’ve got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we’re not impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now,” he said.

But that doesn't mean he hasn't received criticism.

Boyce D. Watkins, a Syracuse University professor and the founder of the Your Black World coalition, said Friday in a Twitter message, “If Trayvon’s mother were white, would Obama give her a call?”

Dr. Watkins, in an interview, called Mr. Obama’s statement “a step in the right direction,” but added that the president could “squash a great deal of the criticism” with a call to the parents. And while applauding Mr. Obama’s comment that his own son would look like Trayvon, Dr. Watkins said the president’s remarks were characteristic of how Mr. Obama talks to black people.

“That’s what I would refer to as a standard political smoke signal that President Obama sends through the back door to the black community,” Dr. Watkins said. “He communicates to the black community in code language. That’s a subtle way of saying, ‘I know this kid is black.’ ”

Everyone knows that Trayvon Martin was black. What the president was saying is that this case has hit him on a personal level because he can really identify with the mourning parents. For Newt Gingrich, this is appalling. Here's what Newt said on the Sean Hannity Show:
    “It’s not a question of who that young man looked like. Any young American of any ethnic background should be safe, period. We should all be horrified no matter what the ethnic background," Gingrich said. "Is the President suggesting that if it had been a white who had been shot that would be ok because it didn’t look like him?"

"That’s just nonsense dividing this country up. It is a tragedy this young man was shot," Gingrich continued on Hannity's show. "It would have been a tragedy if he had been Puerto Rican or Cuban or if he had been white or if he had been Asian-American of if he’d been a Native American. At some point we ought to talk about being Americans. When things go wrong to an American. It is sad for all Americans. Trying to turn it into a racial issue is fundamentally wrong. I really find it appalling.”

So, the president, by not specifically mentioning race, was trying to turn a racially-motivated murder into a racial issue. At the same time, prominent members of the black community are criticizing him for not being explicit enough and not interjecting himself into the story sufficiently. It seems that the president cannot win.

Gingrich's comments are particularly egregious and opportunistic. People are murdered all the time. What makes the Trayvon Martin case noteworthy is that the police know who the murderer is and have so far simply refused to arrest him. It is highly unlikely that a white boy, even one wearing a hoodie, would have been followed, harassed and shot to death, but it is completely unthinkable that a white boy's death would not have resulted in an arrest.

Bad things happen. Slightly crazy people get it in their head that they're Charles Bronson and start shooting innocent civilians because they think they look suspicious. We have ways of dealing with that. It's called the criminal justice system. That system isn't working in this case because the victim is black and his parents are black.

Everything about how the police behaved in this case indicates differential treatment. They assumed the boy didn't belong in the neighborhood, that his parents didn't live there. They didn't try to contact his parents and let him sit in the morgue with a 'John Doe' tag on his foot. They simply accepted the murderer's claim of self-defense at face value, even though they knew that he had pursued an unarmed boy against their advice, shot him, and killed him.

A transcript of the murderer's 911 call shows that Zimmerman referred to the victim as "these a**holes" that "always get away" and possibly said "f***ing coons." It's hard to make any kind of argument that the victim could have been "Puerto Rican or Cuban or...white or...Asian-American," as Gingrich suggests. The racial animus on the tape is obvious.

He was gunned down because he was black and Zimmerman assumed he was an "a**hole" who didn't belong in his neighborhood. But, again, racially-motivated murders happen quite frequently. The reason the president is talking about this case is because the police didn't do anything. That's the reason the whole nation and the world are talking about this case. And if Newt Gingrich thinks that white parents would be treated this way, he's delusional. But Newt doesn't think that. Go to the comments section at Fox News and start reading some of the 10,000 hate-filled comments about the president's remarks on Trayvon Martin and you will understand exactly what Newt Gingrich is doing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

bobcatsr I'm not bringing race into this crime. I would like to know if the man who had called the police over 50 times for suspicious activities going on in that neighborhood in a short period of time , was told by police to stay away, who probably tried to stop the teenager from going home and ended up shooting that teenager had a history of behavioral problems and did he suffer from a mental illness. If he did have these illnesses why was he allowed to own a gun !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

There is a 17 year old teenager dead and a 28 year old man who fancied himself a police officer who had a gun. I find the fact that the 28y/o who probably wasn't  playing with a full deck was allowed to have a gun !!!!!!! I want to know why the shooter wasn't taken into custody for manslaughter that night. This isn't Dodge City in the 1890's this is America of 2012. I want to know why the 28 y/o male was allowed to play Starsky and Hutch with a real gun on real streets of a real city in a real country . Doesn't anybody else want to know why ?
    Posted by Sistersledge

Yes we do. BUT without the jumping to conclusion that is going on here. Now you think Zimmerman had a mental illness! When is this BS going to stop?

So I will play your "what if": What if Mr Zimmerman did as the police said and stopped looking for Mr. Martin and turned around, gun in holster, and walked back to his car? What if Mr. Martin, seeing Mr. Zimmerman's back to him, jumped him and knocked him down? What if Mr. Martin then jumped on top of Mr. Zimmerman and started pounding him, breaking his nose? What is Mr. Zimmerman called out for someone to help him as Mr. Martin was sitting on his chest beating him? Would it be OK for Mr. Zimmerman to shoot Mr. Martin then?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is:
    I am shocked and saddened by the death of this young man.  I'm equally shocked and saddened by the fact that the shooter is still walking around free hiding behind some absurd law.  I'm also astounded that the President of The United States knowing how volatile and incindiary the situation really is would fan the flames of racial hatred rather than taking the lead and trying to calm people down.  All he's accomplishing by his worthless rhetoric is to appeal to the fringe lunatics of all races, colors, religions, etc instead of bringing the 99% of us decent human beings together to rightfully voice our condemnation of this atrocious act of murder.  In trying times such as these, leaders lead but I see no leadership whatsoever from this man.  He's all about fancy words that he reads from his teleprompter.  Mr. President, life as we know it is not in your teleprompter.  It's right there in front of you if you'd take the time to look at it.  Stop fanning the flames of racism Mr. President.   
    Posted by bobcatsr
    B I N G O  !!!!!!  Great post !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

brat13  do you call the action of  a 28 y/o male playing the role of Charles Bronson carrying a gun and tracking down imaginary thugs the action of a sane person ?

Maybe the shooter's father who is a retired judge can spread some light onto how his son got his hands on a 9 mm handgun and why his son wasn't in prison for violently assaulting an police officer while resisting arrest which is a felony.

Those are the actions of a criminal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobcatsr. Show bobcatsr's posts

The media can inflame a situation at will.  When the whole story finally gets told we'll be able to see a clearer picture of what happened on that fateful night.  Let the truth be told, that's all.  I suppose that a society than can stand up and cheer when a murderer like O.J. Simpson is found not guilty is capable of just about anything.  Four people were murdered in Roxbury but despite overwhelming evidence the alleged shooter is still not permanently in prison.  Nothing surprises me anymore, nothing!  What we don't need is for that phony S.O.B. Al Sharpton to running his mouth about things that he's totally clueless about. He's been known to jump to conclusions.  Ask the players on the Duke LaCrosse team that he falsely accused and never apologized to. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoop. Show scoop's posts

Why are you surprised?  The left always fans the flames of hatred.  That's their MO. This situation in Florida makes me sick.  that kid was murdered, plain and simple. What is making it worse is how the professional agitators on the left are once again, just like the Giffords shooting, trying to stir up animosity and violence over this.  How does that help anyone? And, with Obama weighing in, fanning the flames of racism and violence, what kind of leader is he?
    Posted by skeeter20

What??? "Stir up animosity", "..violence", "flames of racism"  Who has called for violence?  A young man was wrongfully killed and his parents and supporters simply want justice after a month since the murder.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : What??? "Stir up animosity", "..violence", "flames of racism"  Who has called for violence?  A young man was wrongfully killed and his parents and supporters simply want justice after a month since the murder.
    Posted by scoop

scoop:

Exactly right. Thank you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I want to know why Sister and I also want to know why Black Panther Thugs with batons were allowed to stand outside a Philadelphia polling place intimidating voters and were not arrested for doing so.  Doesn't anyone else want to know why? 
    Posted by bobcatsr

Because if Barry had a son, he would look like those guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoop. Show scoop's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : I expect the president to have more garvitas than to bascially go Oprah on the issue.
    Posted by skeeter20

So the President should pretend that racism is not a factor in this? I believe the President is simply showing empathy for his parents. Said another way "it could have been my son walking down that street" and it could have been.  Hell, my teenage boy is white and wears a hoodie, so I wonder about these things. I guess we will reconsider our annual Florida trip now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoop. Show scoop's posts

A lawyer on television last night brought up an interesting angle on this incident - which participant in this incident, Martin or Zimmerman, was the one "standing his ground"?  If Martin felt threatened, is he not entitled to respond and "stand his ground"? 
    Obioulsy this whole Stand Your Ground law(s) are extremely flawed.  There are self-defense and justifiable homicide provisions in every state already to handle these situations. Stand Your Ground seems like a free pass to kill.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: The Treyvor Martin Murder Points Out How Poor A Leader Obama Really Is : Because if Barry had a son, he would look like those guys.
    Posted by p-mike

p-mike:

Your post could not be as racist as it sounds...could it???

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts